Chapter 110 – A dress never forgotten
194 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 110 - A dress never forgotten


Peter, who also arrived at the harbor of Valent, walked calmly at where Vlad and Sofiya were standing, waiting for the marine captain.

Turning his head, Vlad could see that Peter changed a bit in the period in time he hasn't see him. The clothes he was wearing were befitting his position of Casino Patron and a part of the underworld of the city. He had a black suit that fitted well with his calm complexion.

He was relatively tall with only 1,88 meters, or so Vlad heard from him that, people of Briss are similar to those of Kaysang. His facial features were clean, walking like some tough guy toward Vlad.

The people turned their heads, beginning to whisper when seeing Peter.

"Damn, since when Peter comes around the harbor? Don't tell me did he put his eyes on that white-haired chick? Sigh, the guy that is with that girl will for sure suffer." added random citizen #1 while looking with curiosity at Peter moving toward Vlad and Sofiya.

"Wait, what are you talking about you moron? Are you blind can't you see who the guy next to those two is? That's obviously Captain Vebros." added another random citizen when hearing the first one say his opinion.

The random citizen #1 looked with focused eyes and suddenly whistles and later turned to random citizen #2.

"You are right. But who is the person Vebros stopped to even talk, usually he would just go back to the marine base or go at the tavern."

"I don't know who he is, but by what clothing he wears, he doesn't seem important."

But to all those people who stopped to talk about this situation, Peter, who was finally in front of Vlad, suddenly bowed his head and greeted.

"Lord Vlad, I've come to show you around the city."

"No need for those things Peter. Come back to normal, don't create a scene here." added Vlad while smiling a bit at Peter, who got the meaning of his words and suddenly shifted in his approach.

He turned his head at Vebros, and with his calm tone, he asked.

"Sir Vebros, what problem could you have with Sir Vlad of Sagletius? Is there any problems here?"

Vebros, who looked at Peter, actually made his way out from his Casino and actually talk so respectfully with Vlad, made him rethink how powerful of a merchant the person he owed a favor was.

"There's no problem sir Peter, this gentleman and lady here requested me to tour them around the city."

"Ohh, and you know the city to give them a tour. Don't bother, since I've met my distant friend, I will be pleased to offer them a tour of the city and also take them to the Casino."

As he said that, Peter looked sharply at Vebros, which made the captain feel a bit uncomfortable, thinking in his mind.

'Tsk, don't give me that stare.  I will pay you your money after I get my salary. Now, what should I step down and mind my own business so I don't get in Peter's bad hands?'

Instead, it was Vlad who said in a calm tone to Peter.

"Peter, I will have captain Vebros show me around the city. We'll talk business after I spent some time seeing the main attractions of the city."

"There's no problem, sir Vlad. I will wait at the casino until then." added Peter without feeling offended by Vlad's comment.

He looked at Sofiya for a short moment where she also nodded her head at him, making him prepare to take his leave. However, not even some steps away from that, Vlad's voice was heard again.

"Friend, if you can help me out a bit with some money for today since I've come here unprepared."

"I kind of knew you would say that since you never liked walking with the money on you."

After he said that, Peter placed his hands in his pocket and took a handful of banknotes, which all contained 10.000 belly notes, and walking back to Vlad, he give it to him in a casual manner.

"Thanks Peter. Expect a bonus after I get back home."

"Just for that pocket money? Why bother with that much lord? I still remember how much money you spent on those things back home. What I give you is just a small droplet. Still, enjoy your time with Miss Sofiya. Take care, you two."

"Thanks Peter, don't worry I will not make it long." replied Vlad while placing that money in his own pockets.

The common people looked at the banknotes that numbered about 2.000.000 belies like it was worth everything to them.

Some cursed behind their breath while starting to continue their normal routine, while the thieving thugs who observed that and saw Vlad's scholarly appearance thought that he was easy money, easy for picking.

"Dear, those people gazes, they are targeting you." whispered Sofiya when she sensed how the people's gazes shifted from the perverted manner they stared at her to the sharp gazes targeting Vlad's back.

"No problem, my love. Right, Captain, how does this city handle thieves and criminals?"

Asked Vlad as he began walking together with Sofiya toward another place after seeing Peter off.

The captain who followed after Vlad felt weird seeing this person take the lead with the white-haired lady, but he still responded.

"The thieves if caught in action would be beaten on sight, having their arm broken. The criminals who committed inhumane crimes would be sent to the gallows while the minor ones would be left imprisoned for 6 months before being released."

Vlad nodded his head and finally stopped after exiting for good the area of the harbor.

The captain was quick to act and began showing Vlad and Sofiya around the city, from restaurants, the tavern he specified, following by other places he also felt awkward walking around.

Then before he could even take Vlad and Sofiya around the entire city, a young marine boy who seemed to be at the starting of his journey stopped Vobres.

"Captain, captain. Stop for a bit, I got a message from Sir Kirin."

Hearing the young boy wearing the usual clothes of a marine chore boy, he looked at the boy, who quickly began speaking.

"Sir Kirin got notified about your stopped patrol and wants you to report to him immediately. Sigh, can't he wait for a bit more? Can't you see I have some guests to help about."

Vlad looked at Sofiya for a bit with a slight grin and then said to the marine captain.

"Sir Vebros, you can go. There's no more need to stick with the two of us, we can handle ourselves from here on."

"I'm really sorry, you two. But my superior sometimes gets impatient and starts annoying his subordinates over the smallest things. So I hope you two have a pleasant day."

"Same, Captain Vebros."

After bidding farewell to the captain, Vlad and Sofiya wandered around the city streets until they turned toward an alley with some clothing shops.

They entered some, but Sofiya felt that the clothes inside were not to her taste.

"Let's enter here, love. Let me see what the people of Valent like to wear." said Sofiya while looking from outside at the dresses presented at the window of a small boutique.

Entering the shop, the two were met by a lady with a bit of grey hair yet still had decent clothing on her, similar to a respected tailor.

"My, my. Come in dear customers. How can I be of any help to you two?"

Hearing the kind tone of the lady, Vlad looked around the shop but could see that this shop was mainly for women. So he kept quiet while Sofiya, who saw some dresses, walked to them to check using her hands.

The lady also walked toward Sofiya and stood close by, watching this young girl who seemed to be in her early twenties. Her white hair and facial features made her remember a gentleman who also had white hair and similar facial features.

Still, she kept silent and watched Sofiya, who began admiring her creations.

"Madame, are those your own creations?" asked Sofiya while smiling at the gray-haired lady.

"Everything in this shop was tailored by my old hands."

"Can I try some of your dresses and clothes?"

"Ahh, you want to try them. Come, choose which one do you want to try and follow me." added the lady with a kind smile on her face when seeing Sofiya's expression to her creation, which was that of joy.

Sofiya didn't want to bother the lady carrying anything and looked at Vlad, saying in a tender tone.

"Dear, come don't just stand there like you are a log, come and pick those 5 dresses."

Vlad still stared blankly at one point before Sofiya coughed again, making him recover his focus, seeing her point at some dresses and other clothes for girls.

"Hmmm, you want me to carry them to the changing room?"

Seeing her nod her head, he added another line. "Do you also want me to change your clothes?"

"That. It isn't necessary here." added Sofiya while her face skin tone turned a bit rosy.

Not wasting much of his time, he walked to the clothes she pointed at and carefully took them, so they didn't get bent or suffer any marks of bad handling.

The shop owner saw this interaction between the two and laughed a bit while smiling at them, and she led Sofiya to the changing room.

"Ahh, you two youngsters sure fit well. One is silent, while the other one is talkative. You remind me of my younger days when I was just starting my career in the clothing business together with my late husband."

"It is unfortunate to hear that madam. Everyone dies at one point. Some people are called faster while others have to suffer the torture of loneliness. What matters is to live your life to the fullest, and when you are called to respond to their call with a smile on the face, that you regret nothing."

"Vlad, stop talking about those things when around those suffering." added Sofiya when she heard Vlad respond dully to the shop lady comment.

"It's fine, young lady, the young man is right. My husband also didn't have many regrets,maybe I can add that he probably wanted to spend more time creating new works with me. As for me? I still find joy seeing youngsters like you appearing in my humble shop and admiring and even buying my lifetime work."

Vlad nodded when hearing the grey-haired lady and then turned to look at Sofiya, who walked inside the cabin.

The girl saw his expression and knew what he wanted to say by using that expression.

'Hmph, you weirdo. Fine, you won that argument.'

As she took the first set of clothes, she gave him a short kiss on his lips, also adding a "Sorry for raising my tone."

Vlad shook his head, and seeing her turn away from him, he slapped her butt cheek.

"Ahh, you really didn't have to do that."

"That was necessary to remind you. Don't take all your time. I still want to see what that person wants."

"Fine, fine. But I will remember this when we get home."

Vlad just chuckled and heard from the view-blocking fabric the movement of clothes, along with a refreshing fragrance belonging only to her.

'She sure smells nice as always.'

Time ticked, and after some minutes, she opened the curtain and revealed herself wearing a black dress that also had some embodiments with a gold collared tread.

Vlad smiled at her and made a clock pointing gesture that made her puff her cheeks a bit.

Following that, she took another dress from Vlad's hands and began changing. After changing, she paraded her body for a bit in front of Vlad's eyes.

Turning back to her changing cabin, back and forth, she finally, after what seemed a pleasant eternity to Vlad, appeared wearing what looked to be a fashionable dress.

This dress was a combination of a dark blouse that had some flower motifs around her shoulders and a skirt that showed most of her defined legs while also adding a dark hat familiar to him.

"Do you like this dress, dear?"

"Can you pass me that hat of yours?"

"No way, Vlad. Madame Jasmine, how much does it cost for everything I tried?" asked Sofiya after teasing Vlad while walking closer to him and inviting him with her bare leg.

"Sigh, little girl, are you sure you want to find out? Well, if you insist, all of those clothes cost about 800.000 bellies."

"There's no problem Madame."

Saying that, she extended her hand and placed it in one of Vlad's coat pockets where he was holding his hand inside. Grabbing her hand, he smiled at her and only commented.

"Daring. But I like you like this. This will be on an old Selentes account, if he doesn't pay Peter, I will make him a visit when we get home, better tell him."

"Hmph, you know that old man, is a scheming one, and probably will just brush it off."

Ending saying, Vlad took from another pocket 1.000.000 bellies and hand it to the old lady.

"Here, madame. You don't have to bother about the addition, if you are still in the mood of creating other clothes, just take it as an additional cost."

As he handed the money, he took Sofiya's hand while the other carried the bags and began walking out of the shop.

"Wait a bit, young man. Did you by chance refer to Duke Selentes?"

Stopping, along with Sofiya, who had looked curiously at the old lady, she confirmed to her.

"Indeed, madame. Why do you ask?"

The old lady looked a bit down on the floor, even putting down the money on a shelf and sighing as if remembering about the past.

***

Back in the past, where she just began professing as a tailor, in the Duchy of Selentine, a white-haired gentleman who looked dignified and wore noble clothes that seemed to be in his late 20s stepped inside her humble small tailor shop that she just started with her husband.

He walked inside alone, while on his hand was a painted portrait of a beautiful young girl that seemed to be around her mid-20s.

"I heard you are the most talented tailor inside the Duchy. I have a job for you. I want you to make the most beautiful dress you could possibly think of when observing this portrait."

"My lord, the woman in the portrait is indeed beautiful, but to make a dress I need something to work with, measurements, and so on."

"You want measurements? Fine, here take this too."

"Still, my lord..."

"What else do you need for a dress?"

"My lord, I'm just a starting tailor. While I can make clothes, the ones you desire, I have no materials. I need money to acquire them."

The white-haired man nodded his head as if finally understanding what the woman in front of him wanted. He searched around his noble coat and took a decent-sized bag.

Opening the bag, the lady could see that it was filled with gold and jewelry, which she had never seen in her life.

"This much should be equivalent to about 100.000.000 bellies. Remember, I want the most beautiful dress for my wife's future coronation."

"Lord, are you by chance the Duke Jan?"

"Yes, woman. If my father isn't stubborn and lets me take the helm of the Duchy I will soon be Duke Selentes."

"I see. Don't worry, Your Grace. I will try my best to deliver something that will satisfy Her Grace."

"Haha, I also hope you keep this secret. Ahh, yes, my ascension ceremony should be soon, after my son is born."

Ending saying that, the white-haired man stormed out of the tailor shop, leaving the young tailoress staring dumbfounded at the portrait and the bag of jewelry.

***

-

-

The gray-haired lady stared at Sofiya and Vlad and began telling them about how he met this white-haired young man who had similar features to Sofiya along with the portrait he received and the bag of jewelry.

"He said he expected a son. It seems he was wrong, very wrong. Your Grace, I know very well what happened to the Duchy since I was forced to leave by that Lacillet, so I will not make you feel bad by telling you more.

However, the request your late father entrusted me, and for an unknown reason to me, he never came to pick it up."

Sofiya turned a bit sad as she added to the pondering of the tailor lady.

"That was because my mother died after she gave birth to me."

"I'm sorry to hear that, little girl. Don't leave yet, let me offer you something. The things your late father entrusted me to create. You are the rightful master to that creation that I sweated two entire years to make."

After she said that, the shop lady walked more quickly to another room of the shop, and after 10 minutes she came back holding in her hands a packed box.

She gave it to Sofiya while saying to her.

"Your Grace, take this box and only open it once you are home. This creation of mine was kept in mind to be worn at a coronation ceremony. Now, go younglings. The sun still shines bright.

Right, I don't know who you are, young man, but you better take care of this graceful flower, especially since you have a gentle one in your hands."

"Don't worry madam, I have taken care of her for almost 3 years, and will do so until my hair turns grey."

Saying that Sofiya, who was having the box in her hand, also bid farewell to the shop lady and began walking to where Peter's casino was situated.

Along the way, some idiots wanted to assault Vlad and Sofiya, but they were put to sleep by his use of the dark powers.

The control he achieved in that power was enough to not kill everyone he didn't intend to.

Like this, the citizens saw around some uncirculated alleys the bodies of some sleeping people who were sweating and shaking like some underworld chills grabbed them.

-

-

The couple arrived at the Casino and slowly approached the entrance of the building.

"Ahh, Mayer sure spent a fortune building this Casino from the ground up. Now I really feel bad for the nobles who tried so hard to take this pearl away." added Vlad while approaching the entrance

"Those nobles should be thankful you gave them something to chew at."

While Sofiya added this, they finally were stopped by a group of 3 guards.

"Do you have an invitation?"

"No, but I can get one right away."

Taking the dialing snail and calling for a brief moment, Peter arrived and welcomed Vlad inside.

Walking inside the casino, he could see a long hallway that also had a stairway going up, along with the smell of tobacco and alcohol.

Vlad could see as he walked the people gambling their money on different games under the supervision of a person belonging to the casino.

"How is it, boss? Do you like the atmosphere of the Casino?" asked Peter after taking Vlad to the 3 floor where his office was.

Vlad placed Sofiya's clothes bag on an oversized couch and received a stare from here, where he only smiled a bit evilly before turning to Peter.

"It seems many people like to gamble here. Quite the surprising number."

"Hehe, my lord, let me show you some numbers. Those are the profits we made since I took over."

Walking to Peter's desk, he took the sheet of paper and began reading it carefully. After some time, a whistle was heard coming from Vlad.

"Impressive. 300.000.000 belies is sufficient to keep you self-sufficient. However, this place gives me a good idea. Since this will be the first major city that future visitors would need to pass in order to reach Sagletius and also the last one they see after exiting, the idea of making this place a destination for the gambling and the betting part of the job is quite appealing."

"Indeed, my lord. I also see the profits that can be made from this place. There are so many dumb nobles playing here and fills our pockets without them even knowing, they are strengthening our side."

"Let them be, as long they are not major players in the Lacillet faction I will keep them alive. Sofi, why are you silent all of a sudden?"

Turning his head, he saw Sofiya open the box the shop lady gave her and hold a portrait of a blonde woman in her hands. As she was holding this painting, the tears began flowing uncontrollably while touching it.

"Lord, I shall take my leave."

"Thanks, Peter."

 

A/N: This is a chapter that belongs to the series of backstories for Sofiya.  So hope you liked this chapter and these small bits of the Selentes Family backstory.

-

As for me? I'm drowned by projects and exams that I have to study for, so probably tomorrow I will not write much. Heck, who am I lying to?

!!! Until 20.06 my release schedule will be wild. Technically I will post and write whenever I have time. So keep this in mind, because you might wake up with a chapter around who knows 2 AM or mornings (my time)

-

Guys if you want to support me, you can find me on webnovel and donate some stones to the story.  It's support coming from you and also a reward for me, for delivering quality content.

-

Join my discord https://discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

4