Chapter 158 – Journalist at the Palace Gates
99 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol.3 - Chapter 5 - Journalist at the Palace Gates


Finishing the first part of the treatment on his wounded soldiers, he walked out of the underground to see the Dawn leaders work in their way coordinating the citizens accompanied by the officers of the Black Army who gathered one entire battalion composed of 400 soldiers.

When the officers noticed Vlad, they offered him a military salute before bowing their heads, saying with severe voices.

"Your Highness, every available soldier has been put to work to rescue the survivors of the war. We will also begin the cleaning process afterward." reported an officer whose black uniform had more stripes than the other officers and a specific silver eagle, a lieutenant colonel, the subaltern of Bolt.

"Continue on, Tymon. We shall strive to do everything in our power to save our brethren suffering the burden of the war." commented Vlad, looking at the officers and Dawn leaders who were stopped in place to listen to what he had.

"Understood, Your Highness, we will stop after every collapsed building is turned over its head. It is as you said, the Dawn citizens are also people of Kaysang, only being separated by the [Ilyas Sea] and the bridge."

Vlad nodded at what the officer said and passed past the group, moving toward the palace, followed by Oliver, who kept quiet, observing everything like a shadow.

.

Minutes passed, and the two arrived at the palace, with Vlad returning at Sofiya's side. The now crimson-haired beauty was sleeping soundly while a bloodhound stood in a corner and an old man was snoring on an armchair.

Nius still snored even after Vlad reached the bed and getting beside Sofiya, watching her silently. Only after some minutes did the old man open his eyes, noticing Vlad sitting on a blood armchair beside Sofiya's bed.

"Argh, how long has it been since I've been sleeping?"

Vlad gazed at old Nius before shifting his gaze, and Khorne spoke in a childish voice.

"Old man, you have been sleeping since the master has left to treat the wounded soldiers, with your disciples included."

"A talking dog? I am still dreaming? Well, whatever, if this is the case, I'll go napping a bit more. The princess will be fine."

"Old man, I am talking with you. You are not dreaming." said Khorne, flustered by how Nius treated him as if he was a fart.

"Lower your voice Khorne. Old man, I've treated Gif, Vem, and Ramoth. You can go visit them, so I can have Robert return back to me."

"So I wasn't dreaming. How are those kids? Last time I saw Ramoth, he was badly wounded, losing a leg." inquired Nius in a quiet voice, casually, as if he wasn't disturbed by what happened to his guards.

"They are alive and still kicking. The only thing I will ask you is to give them time to recover, especially Ramoth. I connected his leg back and bonded his blood vessels and nerves back to their original state, but they are nevertheless fragile."

"Don't worry, I might even let them retire if they want, start their own family and live a normal life. Warring is only for crazy people like us, young prince. Those cursed to never put their swords down."

"Hah, so we reached this state. It has been seven years since I have been born again, and it seems my path is closely the same."

"Not really, lad. The only opposite is you don't have any strong enemies at your ass as you had it on your first try. Compared to the place of your origin, we are separated by sea, being protected from the expansion of madmen."

"Truly, is like I am in some scriptures of foolish people, dreaming about an easy life. I've read plenty of such stories here, and I can just laugh at how pathetic some of their thoughts were. They think being a king is all honey and glory."

"Haha, I don't know from experience, but watching two generations of kings, King Cnaeus, your great grandfather was someone who was walking on a rope dodging rebellions by playing some dirty politics and using the Royal Guard to crush resistance. Your grandfather, Opheltius, also didn't fare so great as king, holding the same hard responsibility of playing the noble houses.

Now is your turn, little prince. I look forward to seeing how you would deal with all those problems that put so many Vermilion Kings on their knees and smashing their heads in frustration."

Vlad waved his hand casually as if what he mentioned was insignificant to him, later saying to him.

"You will find out in two days what are my first reforms that would put an end to all these squabbles and power struggles."

"Go on, spoil me ahead of time. If I just wait that long, I will boil."

"Well, why not. First, all noble houses commanding privileges will be revoked. They might hold only administrative roles, managing the court system along with the future group of judges I will gather and overseeing the well-being of the citizens. In a sense, they will still hold their prestige and history, being proud of their castles and mansions. I will not touch their fortune as long their wealth comes from eligible sources. Anyways, If they do a bad job, we'll hold elections for mayors like in republics."

*Whistles* "They will not like this at all and will throw another revolt for sure. You better get prepared because it will be another civil war." said the old man, a scenario of what his reforms might lead toward.

"Heh, I will see if those bastards dare. I will annihilate all their scum if they spit on my face and benevolence. I don't even plan to strip them naked, letting them hold onto their fortune, as long they respect me and my plans for this country. This shall be all I will tell you."

Nius nodded his head, raising on his feet and walking out of the room. When he was at the door, he gazed at Khorne while the bloodhound was growling a bit, pissed at the old man, which triggered a chuckle from him.

"A talking dog. Damn, wasn't it enough that he has a talking bird? Is he trying to gather all sorts of weird creatures?

"No, you foolish man, I am part of master's powers. Don't treat me like a lowly creature."

"Yeah, sure, don't tell me you have his arrogance too? Well, he can back it off, but you. Bah, I can teach you a lesson easily."

*Grrr*

Vlad, who was caressing Sofiya's face, turned his gaze at Khorne, and with his eyes returning to their crimson color, he absorbed the bloodhound back into his body, canceling his ability.

Like this, he was the only one inside the room, accompanying his sleeping muse, closing his eyes, and seeming to relax in the blood armchair. Thirty minutes passed, and Oliver knocked on the door, entering inside and reporting to Vlad.

"Prince, there is a journalist at the gates of the palace wanting to report on the situation of the civil war."

"A journalist? Are those the ones writing on those newspapers distributed by the gulls?" inquired Vlad in a casual voice, holding his eyes closed.

"Indeed, Prince, it is one of the journalists belonging to the World Economy Newspaper presided by Morgans. With this additional front business, he is also an Underworld Emperor." informed Oliver with a calm voice, at which Vlad opened his crimson eyes, asking.

"This guy is good at manipulating people and is also an influential guy, correct?"

Oliver's eyes turned sharper, understanding what Vlad implied, and with a nod of his head, confirmed this speculation to Vlad.

"That is correct, Prince Vlad. He likes to use dirty tactics to drown people without even lifting a finger by using his worldwide network."

"Guide him to the throne room. I'll entertain this person myself." said Vlad as he created the bloodhound again to watch over Sofiya and report if anything would happen to her.

.

At the front of the palace, there was a late-twenties man wearing merchant clothes, with a pair of slim glasses, holding a snail capable of capturing pictures.

The images he managed to take since going out of the underground shelter could captivate the breaths of any person.

Since getting on immortalizing the end of the Civil War, he could see the citizens of the Dawn City and Black Army soldiers search for the ones being captured by the collapsed building.

With a journalist sense, he captured all those scenes, moving along toward the Royal Palace, which becomes more of a sad place when approaching it. All of the windows on the palace were shattered, some towers of the palace were toppled down, and a majority of its exterior had fallen stones.

"What happened here to this jewel that it got destroyed so badly? Such a sin to even do a fight in the palace."

Ignored by the passing soldiers holding chained men in rows, leading them toward the other part of the zone, toward the bridge taking to Sol.

Getting closer and closer to the palace, the journalist has finally encountered a block, the patrolling soldiers instructed by Bolt to keep any outside away from Vlad.

"You there, where are you going? This place is off-limits to the citizens. Until everything is cleaned here, no access allowed to normal citizens." said one soldier with a harsh voice, walking with his group to the journalist holding his photo camera.

When the journalist saw those soldiers, he panicked a bit, believing they would find trouble with him and harm him, but it was the opposite. They just asked him some basic questions without arrogance in their voices.

"Are you one of those people writing newspapers and spreading the news to other places?"

"Ahhh, yes. Indeed, I am a journalist of the World Economy Newspaper stationed in the Kaysang Kingdom, Leif. Gladly I managed to find shelter and stay safe while you guys were fighting."

"I see. That is good that you weren't harmed by those assassins or traitors to the crown. Still, I am not allowed to let anyone enter the palace. Orders from my Colonel."

"Sigh, can't we amiably solve this? People would love to hear your ruler's story, and who knows, you might get help from other places." said Leif taking some money from his pockets, but unexpectedly, the soldiers pushed his money back, a sum of 20.000 𝔅 , gazing at him a bit offended.

"Journalist Leif, no need for money with us. We'll let this off since you might not know how we operate. Here, wait for a while, and I'll see if I can help you in a way." said the leader of this patrolling group to the journalist before he signaled his men to keep a watch on Leif.

Following that, he entered inside the Wisdom Palace, and not even entering properly in the lobby, Oliver appeared like a ghost in front of him, asking calmly.

"What happened, soldier? Haven't you received orders to not disturb the prince?"

"Ahem, my apologies, lord. But we have a delicate situation outside, and I can't just get that person away because he is a journalist. Those who make newspapers and tell about events from outside our lands. What if by scaring the man, he might write some lies on Kaysang and tarnish His Highness image?"

Oliver looked surprised at this soldier who approached the problem smartly, and with a nod of his head, he replied to the soldier.

"You did well. I'll check with His Highness about this problem. Right, what is your name, soldier?"

"Reporting lord, I am Quintus of Company S021, Regiment 001, under the leadership of Colonel Bolt." reported the soldier in a military fashion, visible signs of a disciplined soldier with drilled movements.

Oliver gazed calmly at the soldier while quickly disappearing from where he was sitting. Only appearing back after he spent some minutes talking with Vlad.

.

.

.

Walking out at the castle entrance, he noticed the journalist, and while bowing to him like a butler, he said to him.

"Lord Journalist, you have been invited inside by His Highness, follow me. Soldiers, continue your patrolling."

"Yes, Lord." replied the soldiers before moving along, leaving Leif alone facing Oliver.

.

'Phew, I finally get my chance to meet this mysterious person who is said to be the lost prince of the kingdom. So many variant stories the people of Dawn and Serene have on this subject is hard figuring out.'

'Those soldiers call him Commander or 'His Highness', but it could be just a title.'

Leif felt happy getting this chance to complete his report in an exquisite manner, even having a chance to be promoted by President Morgans.

Stepping inside the palace lobby, he could see all the statues and frescos destroyed, pieces of painted pictures on the ground. Walking up, he could see some cracking lines on the wall, especially on the first floor where the throne room was situated.

The atmosphere got more intense when Oliver stopped in front of an opened room, where he signaled him to enter inside.

"His Highness is awaiting you inside the throne room. Step in and good luck." said Oliver moving away, and retreating toward where Sofiya was sleeping.

Leif gulped his saliva, helping his dry throat while touching his heart that was beating rapidly. Following Oliver's words, the journalist heard the calm voice of a man, telling him casually.

"Step inside journalists from lands far away."

Leif gathered all of his courage, entering inside the throne to find a man that seemed to be in his early twenties sitting on the crimson throne. His attire was of a noble, with a green-black coat adorned with a white pelt, followed by a white buttoned shirt revealing some of his pectoral muscles, black trousers, and high black boots.

His hair wasn't long, but neither was it short, of raven color, while his eyes were of dark green, seeming to be capable of finding any lies one would say in his face.

Walking toward the throne chair, Leif just stared at Vlad, surprised to find how young he was, compared to the image he made in his mind about some warlord, a muscle head. Yet Vlad, in front of his eyes, was a respectable royal.

'What should I do now? I never met royalty in my life. I wasn't trained for such scenarios.' thought Leif, not knowing what was the following procedure after getting in front of a royalty seated on the throne.

Nevertheless, Vlad figured out that this person wasn't someone to live under the feudal system and was first to get on his feet and step out of the throne, saying with a welcoming, warm tone.

"I welcome you to my humble home, visitor from afar. You might not know who I am at first sight, so let me introduce myself. I am the Prince of this country, Vermilion Zagreus Vlad." ended Vlad introducing himself to the journalist, who quickly reacted by introducing himself too, handing his hand for a handshake.

"I am Leif Garrel, the person World Economy Newspaper assigned for the Kaysang Kingdom not too long ago."

Vlad looked at the hand of this journalist a second or two, making the man contemplate what he did wrong.

'Fuck, have I done something offending to the prince by giving my hand for a handshake?'

However, Vlad just smiled calmly, replying to the gesture and shaking the man's hand, placing absolutely no strength for fear he would break some bones in him.

"Sir Leif, it is truly, unfortunate. The first impression on you was lost because of the state the palace is right, my apology." ended Vlad saying with a bitter tone to the journalist.

"Don't worry, Your Highness. I can understand that the war you fought ended recently, and there is a need for reconstruction. Why I came today receiving this audience from you is because I want to take an interview with you, if it is possible."

"Interview?" asked Vlad confused, searching in his head the meaning of that word.

"Well, it is just some questions I will ask, where you reply to them. It is like a conversation between two people with only the addition that it will be recorded." explained the journalist while a smile on his face, feeling a bit good of himself that he taught something a royal.

"Ohh, silly me. I understand. I have no problem with this, as long you help my shattered country in telling the rest of the world our story."

"This is my job, Your Highness. To report what I see to the world using my equipment and skills as a journalist."

Getting his recording equipment and the photo equipment ready, he asked Vlad if he could take a picture of himself.

"You want to take a picture of me?"

"Indeed, Your Highness. It is for the article's cover that will appear worldwide if it is published by the headquarters."

"There is no problem with that. You can take it right now." replied Vlad calmly, making Leif feel as if Vlad was just a simple youngster, without any arrogance, acting humbly at all steps.

"No, no. We need a good picture to show the world your splendor, Your Highness."

*Chuckling* "What splendor will do for my country when we are in such a state? Still, you are the expert in this area, so you suggest."

Looking around the throne room, he thought to himself, pondering on where to immortalize Vlad.

'I have two choices in mind. Either capture his image while he sits on the throne, but with the risk, he might look too arrogant and like the rest of royalty bastards or at the shattered wall where the outside of the city is shown and where the soldiers working in Dawn can be spotted. The people would rather want to see that type of guy, who would look compassionate, which he truly seems to be a nice, humble person.'

"Your Highness, if I may. Would you mind if I take the picture with you standing by the window staring at the Dawn?

Not taking a long time to respond, he walked to the window and gazed in the distance, he could barely see the soldiers and citizens working cleaning that place, and while Leif was prepared to take his picture, Vlad shifted the color of his eyes into crimson.

'Much better, now I can see better what the guys are doing. Seems everything is normal.'.

Leif also took a look at the picture and saw how perfect the first take was that he put the photographic snail away.

"Thank you, Your Highness. Now, with the interview."

"Ask away, and I will try to respond to the best of my abilities."

Nodding, Leif took another device, a tiny snail that looked like a recorder, and clicking on the record button, he asked the first question to Vlad.

"Prince Vermilion, I am sure many people, especially the citizens of your country, would want to know, who are you exactly?"

Vlad walked toward the throne chair while making a chair using his devil powers for Leif to sit closer to him. The journalist had big eyes but managed to keep his emotions in check and not mess the recording.

Taking some seconds before answering, Vlad gazed calmly at Leif and began telling him his story.

"You are right, Leif. Most citizens might not know me because I choose to stay silent and let my actions talk. I am someone who lived his life without knowing his parents' identity. My mother wanted to shield me from the traitors who killed my father, so she took me far away from Kaysang, living on a small village of an island in simplicity, like any child would do, until as fate would have it, the remaining Royal Guards found the location my mother and I resided and confessed to me who they were and who I was.

By the time I arrived in Sagletius to help out my country, I was just 14 years old. Stumbling into corruption, degeneracy of the people, something totally different from what the stories marked Kaysang as the Pearl of the South.

From there on, I worked in anonymity, starting to wrestle the kingdom's control from the traitors who managed to banish even the current king, my grandfather, Vermilion Opheltius.

From there, if anyone would be curious about the situation of Kaysang, it is something anyone can find by journeying out to Sol, the place I built up from scratch with my trusted aids. You are welcomed to visit my kingdom."

Leif stared with big eyes at the story of the prince, which seemed to be taken out of fantasy books, yet his calm voice that told those things didn't seem to belong to a liar.

Vlad stood quietly on the throne chair while staring at Leif, awaiting the next question.

"Thank you for the detailed answer, Your Highness. I am sure people would appreciate it and be connected more with you after listening to you. The next question I have for you is the following."

"What do you think of the current situation of pirates created by the execution of former Pirate King, Gold Roger?"

He fastly processed the question and answered with his personal views.

"This will be my personal stance, not yet the official stance of the Royal House. When I look and hear about those pirates causing havoc on the sea, I only see lost people or rejects of society. People who couldn't achieve much in life without causing pain to other people. However, most of them are people doing piracy as a last resort to feed their families.

For those people living in South Blue who might stumble upon my words, If you want to change your life, to live a just way, my country is welcoming to anyone. Because of how the country was governed by the nobles, we stagnated, but with the new rule change comes new societal changes. We, people of Kaysang, are welcoming anyone to our community, as long it is a law-abiding person."

"Ahem, Your Highness, you still haven't responded completely to my question."

"Ahh, I am sorry I got lost in my thoughts. Simple, the way I view pirates is like this. Scum who can be straight sentenced to death from all the crimes he committed and those who are just petty criminals trying to earn some money. Those can be helped and reformed, and reintegrated into society. If you are such a case, whoever might read this, know that you can find a better path just by searching a bit more."

Leif marked the second question as a response before he started asking other mischievous questions to Vlad about the Celestial Tribute, who made Vlad's eyebrow twitch slightly but unnoticeable by the journalist.

Looking at the journalist, he turned out to ponder this question that could signal doom or prosperity for any kingdom aligned with the World Government.

'Tsk, this question is tricky. I better stay neutral and act nicely.' thought Vlad while giving a smile to the journalist, preparing himself to answer.

2