Chapter 57 โ€“ Empty Hand & Old Chef feeding beggars
441 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 57 - Empty Hand & Old Chef feeding beggars


The group of three walked out from the firearms shop, still affected by the interaction with Sofiya and old Philip. Robert had a weird face on his face as he was a bit confused. Aerius was still in his own little world. Yet, when Vlad exited the shop, his body was still under the effect of [Blood Enhancement] and heard perfectly the conversation between Sofiya and the old man.

Everything got transmitted in his ears that was said, like this, his calm face masked his processing mind.

'So this beauty is the Duchess of this kingdom. Who would have thought that if the old man didn't remind the girl about her status I would ever know this? Selentes house, sigh I have to check on Nius or old Opheltius, so I find him about the situation with this house.

'Her father died for my family, and the old man even tries to pull the string on me so I get closer to her granddaughter in order to help them once I ascend the throne. Sigh, arranged marriages were never on my taste, but they will probably pressure me anyway to marry someone of their own. That will appease the noble houses that are more inclined towards the royal house. As for the rebellious ones I'll kill all of them, but still spare their families, only taking away their power and status.'

'So her name is Selentes Sofiya, I will think about this problem at another time. If she gets closer to me and doesn't feel my personality weird, I'm not such a bastard to deny her desires.'

Ending his train of thoughts, the group of three walked away from Sofiya's arms shop and walked towards the place she directed them to sell the metal scraps and jewellery.

This new alley was well maintained, as if this place wasn't even part of the forsaken district that he walked all this day. It felt clean, and the buildings were built with good quality bricks instead of your average cheap ones or plain wood.

Not long after they entered this maintained alley, they spotted and started hearing the hammering on metal. Smoke raised from a brick building in the deepest point of the alley in an alerted manner.

Vlad could draw the conclusions that the building in question housed a forge, which meant that the respective owner was a blacksmith or someone who dealt in forging.

Vlad, Robert and Aerius entered the building without facing any problem, especially when the door was wide open for the workshop. Slowly the group of three entered inside and were welcomed by the raised temperature coming from the forge that was not far away.

They could see a bulky middle-aged person with a tall frame about 1,87 meters, with tied black hair and a long beard hitting a red piece of metal at a high tempo, undisturbed by the group's visit.

Vlad also didn't want to disturb the man's work and waited patiently for him to take a break from the hammering. Until then, he admired the craftsmanship of the person in from of him who was showcasing a delicate balance of hammering. Then as he watched the blacksmith, he asked himself in his mind how such a great craftsman could be left rotting in this forsaken place.

Seeing the metal bar changing colour as if it was colling down, making it harder for the craftsman to work the piece of metal.

Then he noticed the middle-aged person drop his hammer and turn to look at him, Aerius and Robert with a sweating face. He was sweating a lot, and when he looked at Vlad, who looked to be the leader of the group, he asked him a bit confused.

"What brings you here young man? You know this is a forging workshop. Ahhh, let me guess, that sweet girl Sofiya led you to me because you thought you could sell some things to her. Let me see what stuff you have for me."

When Vlad heard the calm yet high tone of the craftsman, he smiled a bit more and signalling Robert with his eye. The two then began to place down on the ground the metal pieces they found in the junkyard.

Starting to place down on the ground the metal pieces, Aerius also dropped on the ground to make space for Vlad to move his metal scraps along the way. In no time, Vlad and Robert spread on the ground all short of metal parts, some that were good quality while others that looked a bit rusted.

Still, the craftsman also lowered to himself to look at the metal parts, and after quietly observing them, he nodded his head and said turned towards Vlad.

"There's not a single problem with these metal parts. I'll buy them, but the price will range from piece to piece depending on the metal's quality. How about 1.000 ๐”… for the lowest graded piece and a maximum of 5.000 ๐”… for good quality?" straightforwardly asked the middle-aged man while checking the metal scraps.

Vlad didn't waste much of his time and quickly agreed, shaking the man's hand to seal the deal.

It didn't take long for the blacksmith to grade the metal parts, turning to look at Vlad's face and later the young boy that he could see properly now. He said in his stern tone. "In total, you guys have here 20 pieces of scraps, where only seven are of high quality and the rest being low quality. I'll have to give you guys 48.000 ๐”…, but I'll give you 50.000 ๐”… since I required materials for a sword I was making and also for being friends with little Sofi. Still, it's quite a good yield, I should add. Have you found those parts from the junkyard?"

"That's right, mister, we really got lucky in our first time searching there. Right, I also have another request for you sir. Can I polish a sword in your shop if it's possible? I only need a polishing stone and some water. I will make it so I don't take much of your time when I polish my sword."

"Haha, there's no need to be so humble young man. There's no problem, I got many polishing stones standing around, so I don't mind you using some of them, if it's to help a sword that has lost his cut section. I'll come to get your money, while you can polish your sword in peace, just don't cut yourself. I don't want to clean any mess on the ground."

"Thanks a lot, sir." Genuinely calmly thanked Vlad, even bowing slightly to him, since the middle-aged person was kind enough even to buy the scraps he fished from the junkyard. Also, letting him use his polishing stones.

Taking Nemesis from where he placed her around the belt of his trousers, he looked saddened at the rusted blade and began selecting the polishing stones he needed for the job from a bench full of stones. Robert and Aerius also began observing Vlad, starting the polishing process with curious faces, especially Robert, who had some notions of this process from his teacher.

It didn't take long for Vlad to start gently polishing Nemesis, slowly getting rid of the rust it accumulated on its blade. Wetting the stone for a better polish, he started sharpening and cleaning the sword of rust. Slowly but surely, it felt that he stood in the blacksmithing shop for an hour or more. At the same time, when he was focusing on Nemesis, even his hunger shrank, but that couldn't be said for Robert and Aerius.

Yet, Vlad was still there polishing like a possessed man the sword who began regaining his sparkling lustre and sharp edge. It felt for the people watching Vlad that in that exact time, the sword vibrated with a slight sound as if it recognized Vlad as its master. In doing so, strengthening the connection between the Sword and Master for the future.

When the blacksmith got back with the money in hand, he stopped observing Vlad's polishing technique, where Vlad used an old technique from his point of view. However, he started seeing the sword's sharpness closer and closer, almost like it took a breath of life. Then something unexpected happened to him. The sword vibrated a bit as if it had its own life without Vlad doing anything to it.

He whistled and said with an admiring tone. "You got quite the beauty there. Take good care of her, so she stays with you all your life. It will truly be sad for such a sword to be lost. Sigh, it's been such a long time seeing such a polishing technique, tell me young man do you want to work with me in my workshop? I'll let you polish weapons or other metal parts and also pay you a lot."

Taking his eyes from the sword when he heard the craftsman say that, he looked with calm eyes and shook his head slowly. "I'm sorry mister, but I intend to focus myself on training. However, I might come back to sell another stuff to you. Hmm, I would want to ask you, if you know any place in this district that I can sell some gold jewelry?"

"Ohh, you even got gold on you. You sure are a lucky young man with this catch of yours. I can guide you to someone who buys jewelry, but you might feel it a bit weird when I tell you who this person is. This person is the leader of Behemoth Syndicate, Aldenis. However, you have nothing to fear. While he leads those thugs of his, it doesn't mean he's a brute that doesn't think with his head. When it comes to business, he's someone keen to keep his word.

'Hoh, so those syndicates run almost like a big scale business operation, where those guys offer all sort of services. Hmm, maybe I should try to see what's with this syndicate leader, maybe I can get more information about the old man leading the operations for the underworld auction and where fatty Mayer lives exactly. Yet, I will make this visit to the syndicate leader when I'm back on my feet. Appearances always matter in negotiations.'

"That's quite the surprising news mister." said Vlad calmly while looking at the craftsman.

"Call me Johan. Mister, feels like I've grown old."

"Ok, Johan. You can call me Vlad. Can you give me the location for their headquarters and a recommendation so people don't take me as a joke and start making a conflict with me?"

"Obviously young man, wait I'll go get you a letter specifically for Aldenis. With the location included. Also, take this money, so I don't have to carry more than I have too." said the craftsman Johan with his high tone.

In no time, he came back with a piece of paper that had some words that looked to be addressed to Aldenis and the location of the headquarters for the syndicate with also specific details. Handing it to Vlad, he only said to him as he prepared his forge again.

"Here you go young man, I hope you luck with Aldenis. You don't have to worry. Nothing will happen to you as long you are not disrespectful and only speak when asked. Right, also I'll recommend you a place to eat. There's a good restaurant not far from here that sells cheap food. When you exit the shop and go straight left you should see a house with open doors, among where some clothes are hanged to dry. The owner there is the best chef inside Sagletius, so you better thank me later when you get back here."

Taking the recommendation note and remembering where this food place was located, he shook Johan hands in appreciations and bid his farewells. He felt the calluses on the craftsman's hands and the strength in his grip, making him look a bit in his eyes a bit surprised.

Placing Nemesis back on the temporary holder that Vlad improvised, he stared at Robert and Aerius, who was on the boy's shoulder. Feeling how empty their arms were, they exited the Johan's workshop.

Aerius looked at Vlad from Robert's shoulder and asked him. "What now, are we heading for that restaurant now? I'm getting hungry with each passing minute. Also, don't forget you promised me more food because I found that gold."

"Little guy, I don't go over my promises. I'll make sure you're as fat as a little piglet, instead of a slim cat. Then I shall see how you take advantage of beautiful girls."

"Damn, are you still bitter about that white-haired beauty, Sofiya? Want some help on picking girls?" grinned Aerius while looking at Vlad as if he was trying to rub some salt on his wounds.

Vlad only chuckled while shaking his head at Aerius as if saying that he was a lost cause. Yet he heard Robert ask Aerius. "How does her hair smell?"

Yet instead of Aerius responding, it was Vlad who said in a slow manner as if remembering the smell. "Floral scent, jasmine, iris, some lilac flowers."

"How did you even manage to pick the smell of her hair when you weren't even in her embrace. Damn, that's not fair, your devil powers are too strong. You can take advantage of any girl you want with those powers. Fuck." remarked Aerius, a bit annoyed at how convenient Vlad's powers were in those kinds of situations.

"Told you, little guy, don't mess with me, I'm far more experienced than you think." chuckled Vlad as they continued moving towards the so-called restaurant.

In no time, following the directions, Johan told them they reached the restaurant, which looked quite old and rundown from the outside. Entering inside, he saw a clean place, with some people inside dining. Choosing a place to stay, not long after getting sited, a young boy came towards him and asked what he wanted to eat.

"What would you recommend that can fill our stomachs? Also at a cheap price if possible." Asked Vlad while checking his current budget.

"Right, sir, we have some warm vegetable soup that comes at a low price of only 200 ๐”… the portion. A large portion of baked potatoes that comes at the price of 180 ๐”…. Grilled fish at the price of 300 ๐”…. Probably the best filling meal we have is wheat porridge, also being the cheapest at 150 ๐”…." listed the young boy, who looked to be close to the same age as Robert, the meals that the restaurant was serving.

"Great, bring me all the things you listed, triple servings. There's no need to worry about the money. We'll gladly pay for it."

"Are you sure sir? I only see the two of you? Don't tell that your pet is also serving the same food?"

Aerius heard the young boy say that and wanted to say something to him but felt Vlad's cold stare on him. Then he heard Vlad say in the same calm and unhurried tone.

"Don't worry kid, just bring us three portions. This cat might look small, but has a big appetite for his size."

The server boy looked at Vlad's face a bit sceptical, and later looking at the weird black cat-like creature on Robert's sword, only to find him staring with his golden eagle eyes with a strong intent, while also nodding his head, as if to tell the kid, that everything is fine.

"I understand sir.ย  Thank you for ordering food at our place. I'll tell the chef right away. It will take some time, so please wait for 20-30 minutes for all the food to be prepared." With a happy smile on his face, he rushed the young boy back to the kitchen, where not long after that, an old man voice got heard saying.

"What? Did he ask for everything? Does the guy has some head problems to waste food like this? Well, I'm fine as long he pays me the money, but still, it would be wasteful. Ricardo, you can eat the rest if there's anything left."

"Thanks, master, but the guy who ordered the food, looks quite malnourished, so he would probably eat everything by then." smiled a bit at the young boy at the old man's gesture.

Hearing the old voice coming from the kitchen, Vlad only laughed a bit, feeling the atmosphere inside this place quite to his liking. A quiet place where he could enjoy some food without being disturbed by his bad luck. He was also happy to find how low the food price was, feeling quite fortunate to dine in this place for the following time.

"Fine, don't worry, I'll take care of you too. Now let's get down to business. We have some clients to feed."

Time passed in the restaurant, the same number of guys were inside, no one entered since Vlad, Robert, and Aerius arrived.

In the meantime, Vlad talked with Robert about all sorts of things. On how it feels to navigate a boat, what he saw along his journeys in the grand sea and so on. They filled their time with some things to talk about, and after 30 minutes, the serving boy came carrying plates after plates of food.

To Vlad's satisfaction, the food looked steaming, recently cooked. Even Robert let out some unexpected "wow's" when seeing the food that kept on coming to their table. While Aerius was already jumped on the table, taking in his paw a tableware so he could eat easier the food in his face.

The young boy, Ricardo, looked shocked on his face at the black cat-like creature that acted more human than most people in this forsaken place. Seeing the shock on the boys face, Vlad chuckled a bit and drawn his attention from Aerius by saying.

"Thanks a lot, boy, give my appreciation to the chef. I'll gladly come back to this restaurant to eat. Also don't get so shocked about that weird cat, you'll see him in action plenty of time." Said Vlad briefly towards the boy who seemed to finish sending the food he ordered and was staring a bit dumbfounded at Aerius, right before starting to eat with an insatiable appetite.

Feeling a bit awkward about what he had seen, he only replied shorty before probably going quickly back to the kitchen and report what he has seen.

"Likewise, Sir, I hope you enjoy the food."

With everything said, Vlad turned his focus on the food. He had such a large diversity that he didn't even know from where to start. However, it didn't take long for him to start wolfing down the food, from the potatoes going as far as the grilled fish.

Vlad's body started filling itself up after he reached the last plate on the table. His slim body seemed to gain at a visible rate its weight back.

When Ricardo went to check on Vlad, Robert and Aerius, to find if they wanted anything more, he saw the tall young man's body change in weight at a visible speed.

Scared, he rushed yet again towards the old chef, and with a scared expression, he told the old chief. "Master, this time it's the tall guy, not the weird cat. The one that ordered all the food, his body changed in weight so much compared to when he first entered. Could it be a monster walking to the restaurant, because I've never seen such a thing. Even myself when I was malnourished didn't gain weight so fast."

"Calm down, kid. There are no monsters walking around in my establishment, only hungry people. Maybe the guy's body is more special than ours. For all I care, today I managed to get some good money thanks to him and his friends."


A/N: They made some profit, but is just some grains of sand when you think of the bounty the pirates have on their names. Yet how realistic are those bounties with regard to how dangerous some people are?ย ย 

Support my creation: Comment, Rate, and Review.

Also don't forget to join discord for an open talk: ย https://discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

16