Chapter 81 – The Duke Announcement & Mayer Panics
264 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 81 - The Duke Announcement & Mayer Panics


The passing of time was something relative. It was bound to happen and indeed happen for the blue world. One year passed for the Sangletians and the rest of the inhabitants of the world.

One year where changes or stagnations happened worldwide, some would find themselves going forward while others will decline, such a story was Sagletius.

This new year found the Sun District in a good state, the district's citizens, when looking at them now, you couldn't find a single person wearing dirty clothes.

The streets that now had a stone road were cleaner than ever, ordered and watched by the vigilant eyes of the former syndicate members who reformed themselves in a police force.

The atmosphere inside Sun District was simple described as a bustling city. The kids of the district now had a place to learn where one sole room of the school building could accommodate a group of 100 kids.

There was a tall young man whose height was around 1,82 meters looking together with a middle-aged person who had a pair of glasses on his face and brown hair, at the children going with happy expressions toward the school.

"Kavos, did you really had to make the school so large? It took us 6 months to build it, our funds had to be shifted a bit."

"Lord Vlad, I know that the plan was a smaller scale school, but I thought that with the passing of years we will have a larger flow of people and we would need a greater capacity for the youngsters. This type of building should be called a University, where people of any age would come to be taught."

"I know the term Kavos. Well, at least it got to be constructed as we're no longer so deep in dirt with our budget because of the trade we did with the neighboring islands and other cities of Kaysang."

"I'm glad to hear that lord. Lord, If I may, can I ask a question?"

"Go ahead Kavos, you've proved yourself to talk casually with me by now. Don't get stuck on the idea that I'm a royal prince."

"No, no. I know that your highness doesn't care about those things, but I as your subject I have to keep a line."

"Whatever. Say what you wish Kavos."

"It's not really a wish, but more of a dream. I had this interesting drawing I did after I had a dream, a place where people could watch plays, artists singing and so on. Plainly said is a place where music and voice could be enhanced for the artists to perform, I call it Opera House."

"Interesting concept Kavos. The scale of the project?"

"That it's still a concept Your Highness, but I estimate it would require me half a hectare, and for the height of the building around 30 meters."

"That's not really a lot. Go ahead and start planing that project of yours. However, when you're done, bring the final draw to me not Aldenis. The old man doesn't know those type of things such as constructions. All that matters with that project of yours is to be placed in an area where it would disturb the citizens, maybe I make the other guys prepare to extend the city again."

"Better not now, your Highness, I heard from Aldenis that there's a new conflict going on with the nobles."

"Hmph, let those fools do their own things, probably they are butthurt about me taking over their trade ships."

As the two guys talked around while drinking coffee, a person with scars on his face rushed with a slightly exhausted breath.

"LORD, there's new intel about Mayer. He arrived last night at the Dawn District, and has settled down at his mansion."

Taking a sip from the coffee cup, Vlad's expression remained calm as he said to the guy with scars.

"Pablo, where's the rush? Come take a sit next to us, do you want alcohol or other drinks? Come on relax, it's not like that pig will escape or anything like that."

He took some deep breaths to recover since he rushed to his highest speed from Dawn District, the renamed Commoners District on the transport ship, and to where he was Vlad right now.

"Lord, I don't dare. Fine, excuse my intrusion."

Vlad only smiled calmly as he signaled a server boy to come to receive his command, and swiftly after that, the boy came back with a large mug of beer.

However, as the day continued on, apart from hearing the news of Mayer's return, there was another one that made him frown. It was a piece of information about Duke Lacilet, who staged a banquet inside the Noble District to announce something.

[Inside Noble District]

Noble District was a place where only the highest privileged and most influential people of Kaysang could have the right to step in. The district's streets were constructed on the most expensive white stone, while each building had an extravagant design, even the normal shops had this type of extravagance.

Now the focus of the entire nobility and wealthy was on a high stage where the highest authority of the kingdom was soon going to deliver a speech.

The noble aristocrats and noble ladies discussed this event with great interest.

"Dear friend, have you heard about the recent news circulating around the district. Those dirty peasants from the Forsaken District seem to have built a hospital and even a school to educate their parasite spawns."

"Yes, I heard that. Sigh, to tell you what friend, I have some friends that start to miss going around that Forsaken District, or how those peasants are calling it now Sun District. You have to agree friend, that going there is fun you can enjoy the women there without having to risk going into a great conflict."

"That is something I can agree with, friend. Well, let's hope the Duke will end the ban on those peasants and let us travel there."

As the noble gentlemen and ladies talked with each other, a man took to the stage, turning the entire large square silent. He was surrounded by men dressed in black that wore black masks, but the one that stuck the most was a black-clothed guy who had a golden mask.

The noble-looking guy who took to the stage was a middle-aged person with golden blonde hair and blue eyes. He wasn't tall by the world's standards, walking at 1,79 meters to the stage, and wasn't even that handsome, his large nose breaking the symmetry of his face.

This person was Duke Lacilet Vestios. Taking on the stage, the nobles could see his face brimming with confidence while he was wearing a splendid three-piece aristocratic suit consisting of a blue cutaway coat woven with gold thread.

He had a long stiff white skirt combined with an elongated blue waistcoat that had its material woven with gold thread. He wore elaborately embroidered and knee-length breeches worn with stockings and buckled shoes.

Looking calmly at the people around the stage, he started saying his speech.

"Dear Sangletians. We have gathered today for this day of the year to celebrate yet another year since our strong kingdom stays strong despite all the challenges and piracy we have encountered. Despite all of these challenges, we have remained strong since we had our suns to shine the path forward.

Indeed I'm referring to the royal family, to our dear King, Opheltius, that sadly went missing not too long ago, leaving the throne absent and the reins of the kingdom empty."

The Duke's face ended a bit sorrowed but swiftly changed his expression, where he seemed to give out endless power.

"But worry not, dear brothers, until we find the old king to lead us again, there will be a need for someone to guide us. The council of nobles will take this hard job with me, I Vestios Lacillet, to lead as chairman.

With his majesty's absence, by the power conferred to me by the royal authority, I hereby announce that the Noble Council will take over the governance of the Kaysang until the king's return!?"

"Now, if I may, dear friends. I wish you happy celebrations and a good year forward."

Ended Lacilet with a charming smile on his face having his hand amiable to the nobles and wealthy applauds. Bowing down, he took his leave from the stage, followed in tandem by the black-clothed men with dark masks, and the one with the golden mask.

As he walked out of the stage, he sneered, and his once smiling face ended instantly being replaced by an angry expression.

Moving away from the square, he asked the gold masked guy.

"Lord Cranfon any news about that old fart Opheltius. Things will get slowly out of control if we don't find that old man and get the royal regalia and ancestral seal. I even had to do this stupid event to give those parasites a sense of security so they don't even think of rebelling against me and side with the royal faction."

"Lacilet, you know the situation we are in. Kaysang is quite big, that old man could be anywhere, literally anywhere. I'm starting to spread my forces too thinly, and if I show myself too much to the light, those brainwashed fools of the marines will come after me since I'm wanted."

"We lost Lucius in that event 16 years ago, if that person who interfered didn't snatch our main target, the business would be sealed long ago, and I with my boys would already leave this kingdom."

"Lord Cranfon, you really have to do more than you're doing now. There are more investors in this deal, sir Joker and sir Du Feld are expecting a big chunk of the underworld trade. But all things went to hell when those dirty peasants revolted and stole my goods and port."

"None of my problems Lacilet. Don't complain to me, that's your problem. I will not act if my orders are not those. There's a strict protocol that I have to conduct. As far I'm concerned, Joker and Du Feld can go eat some shit, my contracts don't state a thing about keeping their trade routes safe."

"Fine. I understand Lord Cranfon. I will solve this on my own then. Thanks for the opinion."

'Damned Assassins and that old fox Aldenis and those peasants. I wonder how much I can extend my loans before sir Joker and sir Du Feld start asking for the pay share.'

'Those guys will humiliate me again if I come and start apologizing about not meeting the time to pay them.'

Thinking in his mind, Duke Lacilet remembered the tall blonde guy with weird pink glasses and the fat man with large ears, nose, and lips and a scar between his eyes. Even now, he remembered how they humiliated him like a peasant but still decided to shake hands with them and act as a middleman for their illegal trade.

The events commenced along those years. The pirates that targeted his trade ships that brought the illegal goods toward Sagletius were always a fresh wound.

His only safe way to escape from the fury of those big underworld shots was to become the king, but for that, he needed the ancestral royal regalia that was missing along with King Opheltius.

Outside of his worries, the nobles celebrated undisturbed this event staged by Lacilet Vestios. All the nobles were wearing aristocratic clothes similar to the one that Lacillet was wearing, while the ladies were wearing 19th-century early Victorian-era dresses, which were primarily dominated by full skirts.

The women's dresses accentuated their beautiful slim waistline. Those dresses highlighted each of their chests when having to deal with the pains of the corset. Apart from that, their hair was done in lavish styles, like they were graceful fairies and goddesses walking down the earth.

Still, there was one woman in the corner of the plaza square that didn't take a liking to the noblewoman's dress code, choosing a skin-fit red dress with a deep cut that showed her sparkling white legs.

Her dress was paired with high red heels and helped by her long legs. The red dress put on display her gifted body. Her chess was big enough to make the noblewoman gnash their teeth when looking at her in dark jealousy.

Her face emanated the allure of a mature woman, while her jet-black hair and brown eyes, together with her styled black hair, made all the nobles and wealthy guys drool over her.

Besides, the lady was a tall, middle-aged guy with a full beard, bushy eyebrows, while his nose was full enough to look decent when looking at him. He wore a type of orange aristocratic clothes to blend with the nobles and wealthy.

Seeing how Lacillet left the stage, he turned toward the lady and asked while his expression seemed calm.

"Felicia, do you think that those nobles are scheming something again? You know that the old king is not the type to run without a fight."

Taking a sip from the wine glass with her splendid red lips, she answered in a mature sexy voice.

"This depends, dear Blass. My girls in the palace said that lately, Opheltius had acted weirdly before he disappeared one year ago. It seems that the pressure on that idiot Duke is starting to take a toll on him. We should thank sir Aldenis and that legendary Blood for their constant pressure on the nobles. Think dear Blass, why would Lacilet even bother making this event and inviting all influential people, even us guild leaders?

"I think he wants to give the image that everything is in control."

"Exactly. Just look at those arrogant and ignorant nobles. All happily celebrating when Sun District is developing to a monstrous rate. They don't even know what will hit them in the future, especially if they want to push them around. We the guilds should really start the process of union with the Sun District."

"Lady Felicia, your words are always full of meaning. Do you know something that we still don't know about the situation inside the Sun District?" asked the one called Blass.

"Ohh me? When did I ever kept a secret on you boys? Isn't me who keeps updating you on the progress taking place in Sun District?"

"Hmm, you're right lady Felicia. Sorry if I sounded rude." apologized Blass while drinking some wine from his glass.

Nodding her head at the apology, Felicia turned and asked another man by her side.

"What do you think about this change of situation, Lucil? Are we still affected by nobles interfering in our businesses?"

Lucil was a middle-aged person of small stature, around 1,67 meters, with short hair, a clean shaved face, and a monocle over his eyes.  He was the smallest in the group, but his status was big enough to influence the kingdom on his own when not thinking of his stature. Big as his position was, he seemed to wear simplistic clothes for this occasion, just something that could barely let the guards accept his entry.

"Heh, Felicia, why are you asking me when you're dealing with the oldest form of profession? One thing is for certain, the need for women will never lower. You asked that question to rub some salt on my Banking Guild or Merchants Guild, or are you targeting Blass business in shipwright, or you have a problem with Wilhem and his Construction guild? You grew up, but you're still acting like a little girl. People in taverns say you turned 33 this year? Is that right? Congratulations.

When Felicia heard the remarks about her age, she frowned and stared coldly down at Lucil the Banker's face. Making the banker switch subjects, asking Wilhem, the last guy on the group, about the changes financially.

"Ehh, so cold, keep yourself young, Felicia, as much you can. It is unknown when your hero will come to claim your shielded heart. Ahem, fine, I'll shut up. Wilhem, what do you think about this change by the nobles? Does it affect our alliance with the Sun District?"

This time it was the turn of Wilhem to take the word. Compared to Blass or Lucil, he was only 1,77 meters. His hair is held slit back, with a well-groomed beard that puts his sharp but still decent looking nose into the spotlight. His eyes were black in color that was followed by his black slit back hair. He was wearing a light green aristocratic suit piece.

Opening his mouth, he said.

"Hard question Lucil. Knowing those ignorant and arrogant nobles, they will ask for more money from us.  As for my guild is concerned, it probably will be the same or better because those idiots like to build a grand project which costs money. But in general, I don't know even myself what is brewing or what's inside that Duke's head. We'll need to prepare for bad days for the following years. You to Felicia, maybe you'll need to sell other services. Spy and women sure go hand in hand, but what else can they do?"

"Hmph, don't worry about my girls Wilhem, you take care of your guys. Right, does anyone got any news from that fat idiot Mayer? He should also be here but is nowhere to be seen. Not like I really would want to see that annoying face of his." asked Felicia, while crashing Wilhems attempt at rubbing salt to her wounds.

Hearing her question, Lucil was one to say something about Mayer.

"I heard he come back yesterday from Valent. That fat idiot didn't come? Sadly I can't curse his stupid self. Don't ask why.

That idiot lost me some money with that stupid mines of his. I even heard that he lost like 50 of his guards from someone's escape attempt and had to sign with mercenaries to guard his little business. Probably he's looking over his fatback to the one that escaped from his mine.

His servants told me that the one that escaped was a 14 years old kid called Zagreus. He even sent an assassination order to that useless group, 30.000.000 belies he's offering for the kid's head."

When Felicia heard that, she felt that name being familiar as if she heard it at one time in the past. But then she heard Lucil start to talk uninterrupted.

Aside from that, from my sources, that boy even managed to kill one of Mayer's great men, Belpel. Someone that even experienced the Grand Line, so the kid is really dangerous. Now, if I think about it, no wonder Mayer has been acting weirdly and trying to avoid going too often outside of his mansions."

Felicia did a wow with her sexy mouth with a mole around her lower lip skin.

"There's actually such a young man capable of this. Why didn't I receive such information? Zagreus you said he was called? I will ask a maid I brought 5 years ago if she has ever heard of this name at that auction."

"I don't really care about his identity Lady Felicia. While it's funny to see Mayer sealing himself away from the public, this doesn't help us as a group. We also need his influence and money to support the people of the Dawn District." said Lucil, slightly annoyed.

Somewhere in a grand mansion, a fat guy was circling around his room, putting pressure on the floor. This exact fat guy was our dear Mayer Loftso. He seemed to be quite agitated by something. Turning to look at his servants, he asked an older servant.

"It has been one year since I posted that contract and no news about that little monster. Do I have to push more money for those imbeciles to do their job? If it is that way. So be it, let those guys get 100.000.000 for the kill, just get me the news about his death faster."

Support me also on webnovel if you enjoy my story so far (THE SAME NAME)

Discord:  discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

5