Chapter 92 – HQ Final Obstacle Course Test – Part 1
227 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 92 - HQ Final Obstacle Course Test - Part 1


Most of the young marines who haven't passed the test were unsatisfied and even picked a fight with Inorra, who looked like a simple guy without much about him.

Inorra, in his defense, tried to brush off the comments about him being weak and only being lucky to pass the test.

"Do you want something from me? You haven't passed the test this I understand, but what fault do I have? Complain to the examiners, not me.

Otherwise, just go home and read some. Yous instead then acting like morons. Hmph, don't think that you're the only one capable of fighting, you don't even know from where I have come."

"Ahem, easy Inor. Let's go to the other testing field. Don't argue with people you would probably not see again."

Advised Kipset while walking with Hina toward Inorra, who was surrounded by 6 guys who haven't passed the test.

As he walked toward them with an easy-going stride, his eyes turned serious and cold, saying to them.

"You better don't make trouble for us. It is not like you can't be a marine going forward. This test is to choose the elite trainees of this year. Who knows, maybe you'll get it next time, don't destroy your chance for some petty reason."

"Hmph, who are you to tell us this?" asked one of the guys with an annoyed face.

"Kipset, this guy's brother, that you're trying to pick a fight." said Kipset coldly while looking at the 6 young marines with ages ranging from 17 to 25.

"Guys, this guy took the second place. Maybe we shouldn't mess with them."

The rest nodded their heads, walking toward the exit of the field with the rest of the people who haven't heard their names called by the purple-haired old man.

At the large pagoda building on a balcony, there was one old man who was eating some cookies staring with interest down on the testing grounds, and the old woman Kipset and Inorra asked for directions.

"Argh, I wanted to see a fight. Why did that boy have to interrupt a good show."

"Why are you here, Garp? Aren't you supposed to be on your vacation? Aren't you missing your grandson?" asked the old lady while her face remained unchanged and calm.

"Haha. Luffy will be fine since he is in good hands.  Don't worry about me, I've delayed my departure a day to see this selection. Zephyr is pulling yet again one of his weird ways to check the new elite recruits. But you took my question I wanted to ask, why are you here?"

"I'm just curious to see what this new batch of youngsters is capable of. So far, nothing interesting."

Garp laughed heartily while pointing toward Kipset and Inorra.

"If it wasn't for that brat, I would have a great show to go along with my crackers."

Hearing the old guy's response made Tsuru look at him with a calm face for a bit before shaking her head, starting to walk out of the balcony.

"You haven't changed at all, not even at your old age."

Garp laughed with a proud hint, visible, not affected by the comments of his colleague. He too, moved out, following along the old ladies back.

Meanwhile, on the ground, Kipset and Inorra after managing to turn away the guys who wanted some conflict began walking along with Hina, who just looked at them without any expression change toward the testing field.

After some minutes of walking, they arrived at a field that had many obstacles, placed in such a manner that it seemed too hard to pass.

Looking at the track field from a distance, Inorra said with awe.

"Those obstacles are crazy. Are we supposed to climb that high and go down those slopes? Ohh, shit. Look at that part, we even have to get dirty."

"Hmph, this is nothing Inor. The slopes we had to carry large batches of rocks was a challenge, not those obstacles that seem to be handmade."

"Well, you're right about that Kip. Let's see what those old guys want us to do."

In ten minutes, the people gathered outside of this obstacle course and waited for the purple-haired old man to say something.

"Good, you 150 have passed the first writing test, and this will not change the fact that you entered the elite class. However, this test now is to check how good you are outside of your mind.

This obstacle course is set to test your endurance, reflexes, strength, and stamina."

As Zephyr ended that, he looked at the old guys around him, who nodded their heads and entered the obstacle course, placing themselves at certain positions.

"Sir Zephyr, are the examiners part of our challenge?" asked one young marine who had a well-built frame.

"You guessed right young man. Those old guys would test you along the course, so you better don't get hit." laughed Zephyr with a smile on his face, which got accompanied by the other old guy's hearty laughs.

The young marines gulped their saliva and focused on the obstacles.

Meanwhile, Inorra looked at Hina, who was beside Kipset and asked her.

"Beauty aren't you afraid you'll get dirty? Look there. You need to crawl to pass it. That pit is full of mud."

"Hina doesn't mind getting herself dirty if it's for the test."

Saying that she looked around the obstacles quietly before taking from her trousers a piece of fabric that she later used to tie her long pink hair.

"With this done, Hina is ready for the challenge."

She wasn't the only girl in the crowd to tie down their hair. There was a girl in the opposite direction that Inorra noticed who tied down her crimson hair.

Zephyr looked at the young marines and started calling out 10 names to take part in the course.

The first batch to take the test got in their positions and waited for Zephyr's start.

"Ready lads? Are the instructions clear? You have 15 minutes to finish this course. If you're faster than the set time, you'll be ranked higher."

"Everything is clear, SIR!?"

Giving a big smile after seeing the enthusiasm of the young recruits, Zephyr gave the start in a high tone that was heard even by the people inside the tall pagoda.

"YOU CAN BEGIN!"

With this roar from Zephyr, someone seated in a luxurious chair in a big office inside the large pagoda building looked at some middle-aged guys, asking them.

"Why is Zephyr so excited that his yell resounded even here?"

"You know him, sir Sengoku, whenever the teacher sees the new batches of young marines who are doing his test, he also gets worked out."

"Well, whatever. Once the test results are done, have someone send me the report of the ones most qualified. Aside from that, we got something to talk about, Borsalino, Kuzan, Sakazuki. What do you think of the system the Five Elder Stars have placed on our table?"

"I don't know what to say, sir. This Seven Warlord system could be helpful for us marines, bringing law and order to the common people, but especially for those old guys' interests. The annoying part is that we don't know when those old guys will implement the system." said Sakazuki,  an incredibly tall, light-skinned, unusually muscular man.

He was a middle-aged man with a square-shaped face, very pronounced facial features, and short black hair. He was wearing a standard Marine cap and sported a crimson, double-breasted suit, decorated with what appears to be a pink rose on his left buttonhole.

When standing casually on the chair, the tattoo he had on the left side of his chest become visible. This tattoo of his of a black color containing numerous images of flowers integrated into its design.

Following what he said, Borsalino, a middle-aged guy wearing a gold-colored suit, stroked his chin and spoke a bit lazily.

"Sir, this new system could prove to be a great force for us if we keep in control those selected pirates."

Sengoku nodded his head and looked at Kuzan, who was a middle-aged man with black, curly hair cut to chin length that fans out at the tips, tanned skin, and an altogether lean, long build.

He was wearing a white buttoned-up vest with a standing collar over a long-sleeved navy blue shirt, matching white trousers, and black dress shoes. This was accompanied by a matching white suit jacket. He also wears a yellow tie divided geometrically by black lines and a sleep mask on his forehead.

"What about you Kuzan, what do you think of this Warlord System?"

"Old man, like the other two said, I don't see why we shouldn't try this. Having pirates fight pirates and lowering the burden on our guys could prove a smart move on those 5 old men. However... No, don't mind me."

Sengoku looked at Kuzan, who stopped from commenting and turned thoughtful about this system.

'I should talk with Kong about this. What if this system does more damage than actually help us.'

Meanwhile, while the important people of the marine were pondering a new idea of power, one group already finished their run on the test field.

Inorra and Kipset just stared at how people were called by the purple-haired old man until 10 were aligned at a start. This process repeated itself many times, and this entire obstacle course already became familiar to the two without them even having to enter inside.

The two looked interested at the people who took the test when someone who ranked high appeared, such as the ashen-haired guy called Smoker.

"BEGIN!?"

With the start being given, Smoker began running on the obstacle at a fast speed. He ran without stopping, even when he was approaching an obstacle head-first.

Inorra looked at him and only thought in his head.

'Man, are you a moron? Can't you see the obstacle in front of you? Jump!? Do something.'

Then when it seemed that Smoker was going to hit the obstacle, his body turned into smoke and easily passed the seemingly challenging obstacle. Yet, as he passed the obstacle, he observed as a small rock was approaching him.

'Hmph, I am a Smoke Human. These attacks don't affect me that much.'

Thinking that in his head, Smoker kept his smoke form and didn't even try to evade that inoffensive stone. Nevertheless, the stone approached, and when Smoker was sure of himself that it will pass, it actually managed to him and push him into the obstacle.

"Hehe, don't try to cheat, kid. Using your logia powers on this course will not help you, so you better do it like the others."

Smoker, who was hit by the rock, stared shocked at the old man who said that to him and quickly began working his head on what happened.

'What was that? I thought my devil powers are invincible, that they are intangible by the people. So how did I got hit? That wasn't a sea prison stone. It was clearly a normal stone from the ground that he threw at me.'

'No, what am I doing. I'm wasting my time by thinking of something that I don't even understand.'

Following that, Smoker began running using his own body abilities without relying on the devil's powers. After some minutes of climbing up and down obstacles, dodging or taking in the attacks of the old guys, he arrived at the finish of the track, where waited for him one of the examiners.

"Good job kid, you still got a good time without having to rely on the devil fruit powers. Your time was 6:14 minutes."

"Hah, hah. That's good then. I'm on the high scores if it's around minute six."

The old man just nodded his head, satisfied at Smoker and watched the remaining people who were still doing the obstacle track who got left behind by Smoker.

Then following the route out of the obstacle course, he meet the ones who finished the test. When he arrived, someone looked at him impressed, while others just focused on the people running, cursing them under their breath to fail.

'Pathetic people. Your curses will never reach them when they are coming from lowly guys like you. Well, whatever. Those guys most likely will not even qualify to get to the half of the group.'

'If I'm still here, let's watch that tanned guy, Iborra, or what was his name. Right, Inorra. Let's see if he's only the talk out of him.'

Yet, he still had to wait for Inorra's turns to appear. Inorra's turn came by the time half of the group was cleared, followed by the crimson-haired girl called Isuka.

When he heard his name Inorra gave a big grin before turning his head to look at Hina, saying to her with a cheeky tone.

"Wish me luck, beauty. I will really need it."

Instead of getting any feedback from her, he heard Kipset say to him.

"Don't get too worked while inside the course. The old guy's attacks should be easily countered using big brother's footwork, while the rest shouldn't place you in a hard spot."

"I understand Kip. Well, here I go."

Then finally, Hina, who saw Inorra going toward the starting line, said shortly.

"Good luck."

This made his face give a big grin that remained on his face until he saw the crimson-haired girl.

"What are you grinning like that for? Don't tell me, you're one of those guys? A pervert?" asked the crimson-haired girl.

"I'm not a pervert, but. There are some exceptions to beauties, just like you."

"Hmph, you better focus on the truck instead of hitting on me." replied back the crimson-haired girl.

Inorra's attention finally got summoned by Zephyr, who checked on them before telling them to go.

"Finally, I can test myself for good. See you later beauty."

As Inorra said that, he began sprinting toward the first obstacle without stopping. He wanted to check on the other guys, but he kept hearing some steps behind him, only some steps away.

'Focus, Inorra. You need to focus, don't let some girl distract you on your shining moments.'

His face turned serious as he was saying those things in his mind.

Looking at the first climbing obstacle that was 15 meters, he began his climb in an agile manner.

Getting on top of the obstacle, he descended while climbing down half the obstacle and jumping on the ground.

Then rather quickly, he arrived close to the first examiner, who used some sort of a long wooden lance to push him out of the course.

"Hmph, don't think those work on me, old man."

Using an intricate footstep, he bounced a little bit around the zones the examiner struck before quickly dashing off when he was taking back the lance.

"Hoh, that brat isn't half bad. He has an interesting footstep and also is a quick thinker. Him getting placed in top 20 wasn't a mistake."

Moving out of the first old man range, Inorra sprinted toward another obstacle and getting closer to another old examiner.

Managing to pass the obstacles, he saw the old man having a large shield in his hand and preparing to strike him using a shield bash.

However, Inorra who was completely focused on the test, looked at the old man attack and jumped on the air, moving toward the shield and seconds later landing on the old guy's weapon.

The old man who tried to bash Inorra looked at him with surprised eyes and later tried to push Inorra from his shield.

He was close to doing that, but as he tried to push him off, Inorra used the shield as a support and did another jump.

After that, Inorra meet another 3 old guys who tried to break his concentration and even end his run.

Outside of the track, the people who finished the test and were still curious about the results looked at Inorra with surprised eyes, especially those who thought that Inorra managed to rank high because of luck.

"Wow, look at that guy. He managed to pass almost all the examiners with ease. There's only one." said one random guy taking the test

"What's his time?? Did anyone count?" asked another one perplexed.

"He's at minute 5:20 and still counting."

"Hey, check him out. He is soon to meet the last old guy."

Passing what could be the last obstacle of the track, Inorra moved toward the last examiner, who was holding a wooden sword.

When entering his sword range, the old guy did a series of fast strikes that he could barely see.

'Damn, this old guy is as fast as old Nius or big brother Vlad. Left, right strike followed by a thrust.'

Thinking that in his mind, Inorra suddenly stopped and took a stance using his unarmed hands.

Then as the blows came, he used his arms to block the first strike before moving toward the hands of the old man and starting to use a disarming technique Vlad thought him when in close range.

"Sneaky little brat. You want my sword so much? Here take it."

The old man freed his grip on the sword, leaving Inorra with a sword in his hand, and later, he sent a fast kick toward his stomach.

"Arghh!?"

That kick landed right on the mark, sending Inorra down on the ground.

Seconds passed, and Inorra was still face-planted on the ground.

'What just happened? That's bad!? My time is getting down the drain in such a manner.'

He then began getting back on his foot and looked at the old man with a serious expression on his face. Yet as he did that, the crimson-haired girl he thought was left behind by him arrived where she quickly passed him and moved toward the examiner.

'Heh, you think you can pass that old man like that?'

However, it seems that the old man had other plans and only did a lazy strike toward the crimson-haired girl, letting her pass effortlessly.

"Hey old fart, isn't that unfair? Why are you overreacting with me and let that girl pass just like that?"

"Haha, it's your imagination brat. Go on, you can try to pass."

'You think I can't see your intent from your face? Let's not pull any stupid things on the old man. I need to finish the race at a good time.'

Moving toward the old man, this time when he was attacked by a wooden sword, he jumped to the side before following with a sprint coming from desperation.

Finally, Inorra could be said to be out of the last examiner range, quickly moving toward the finishing line.

After more seconds, he arrived at the end of the course and stared a bit annoyed at the crimson-haired girl.

"Beauty, you should treat me after this test since you're got my first place."

"Why should I? Is it my fault you arrived after me? Don't be delusional."

"That… Damned old fart, because of him I embarrassed myself. Sir, how is my time?" asked Inorra, the old guy who recorded the times of each person.

"6:25. Good time lad, you're among the top so far."

"How much this girl did make?" asked Inorra again while looking at the crimson-haired girl.

"She's slightly faster, being at 5:90." replied back the examiner with a dull face, not minding Inorra's reaction.

"Sigh, and I thought I would make it faster than that. Well, whatever, I can't do anything now. It's Kipset's turn now. Maybe he will mess up that annoying old fart for me."

Turning toward the crimson-haired girl, he watched her sweaty face, body, and muddy clothes for a bit before walking out of the track and arriving where the people waited for the results gathered.

Behind him was the crimson-haired girl, but he didn't bother with her for now. Instead, he turned to look around the guys who looked at him impressed, stopping his search to a tall guy looking around with a bored expression.

"Hey Smoker, there you are. I thought you left outside instead of waiting here."

"It would get crowded again, so I would rather stay here and wait for the results." said Smoker while puffing a bit on his cigar.

"So. How much you got?"

"6:15 minutes. If it wasn't for those old guys stopping my devil powers, I would make it even faster, just some minutes."

"Haha, I've seen your try. You're one of those unique devil fruits? Logia were they called?"

"You can say so. So how much you got on the run?"

"You shouldn't ask man. I'm at 6:25."

"Tsk, you're quite close to me. Those damned old farts. I really shouldn't have asked this. Don't you dare make fun of me, or you'll regret it even if you go to your brother to cry."

"Whoa, easy man. It's fine you don't have to be angry at me. Place your anger on those old guys. They even stole my first place, favoring a chick instead of being neutral. Also, I can't do what the old guys did to stop you. I've seen it before, but I don't understand it."

As he said that, he heard a girl's cold snort. Turning his head, he saw in the distance the crimson-haired girl Isuka. After that, he turned his attention back to Smoker when he asked him.

"You've seen that ability? Really, tell me more about it."

"Well, this happened when I was home with my big brother, not Kipset, my oldest brother Vlad. He fought with an old man who used a type of ability that strengthened his power, almost like what that old guy on the field did to you.

"However, don't worry, this type of power is probably hard to get. So you having that devil powers really gives you an advantage against the ones without one."

By the time they switched the subject, the guys who were still on the ground finished the test, and a new batch walked. This time, Kipset followed by Hina, and another well-built guy stepped on the testing ground.

Inorra turned silent and stopped talking, turning his attention on Kipset and the obstacle course that he had to take now.

 

Morpheus Note's: Those pesky old guys. I tell you guys, they are discriminating guys. ?

Question for you, do you like this type of POV's?

Is there something I can improve on, or is fine this way? Need feedback on this one because we'll move around from different POV's going forward, but not that quite often since Vlad is our MC.


Support me also on webnovel if you enjoy my story so far (THE SAME NAME)

Discord:  discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

5