The Butterfly
275 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The bathroom door slammed open, releasing warm moist air into the bedroom.

“Put your dick away, Xiao Xan!” He called out, looking around the room. “We’ve got work to deal with.”

Much to his surprise, he didn’t spot Xander in the spot he expected. No, instead he was by the window, his arm extended out to the night air.

Qin Rong said nothing, watching his friend as he looked to have not noticed him despite him calling out. Curious, to come closer, wanting to know what he was doing.

His instincts said nothing dangerous but he was wary still.

On his outstretched hand was a serpent. No, it was larger and had wings.

Where had he seen…

Ah, it looked just like the dragon thing that he had seen years ago.

Qin Rong watched as it breathed fire onto Xander’s outstretched hand. From the smoke, a rolled-up piece of paper popped out.

Like magic!

He wondered how such a thing was possible. What was that and what had Xander received?

“Are you just going to stand and stare, Rong?” Xander asked, not turning his back as the dragon flew away. All that was left of its appearance was the document in the prince’s hand and the subtle scent of smoke.

Another question to add to the list. He thought, turning away from Xander.

“Just as you intend to ignore me.” He shot back, sitting on the bed.

“You were trying to embarrass me,” Xander replied, laying the document on the table as he drew closer. “Shouldn’t I have ignored that, since we’re friends?”

“Touche.”

His declaration was a bit of a jest. They were guys so Qin Rong understood how inconvenient surprise boners could be. To ease the tension, he tried to poke a little fun at the man.

Yet to be ignored so effectively was a bit embarrassing. It just left him feeling awkward.

“So,” Xander said, saving him from his own thoughts. “You were saying something about work?”

Ah, a reprieve!

He showed Xander the guys he’d caught when he broke in before. They had been hiding in the dark corners of the room, their attention focused entirely on the door. Since Qin Rong came through the window, he’d gone unnoticed until he struck.

“Are they spies?” Xander asked, glancing at Qin Rong as he dried his hair.

“Probably.” It was a guess but the most probable. “No weapons but they had some drugs on them. Can’t say what it does without a test subject but using them would be a waste since we need info.”

He doubted they were sent to kill Xander. Their skills were minimal and seemed more geared toward restraint. Perhaps they were meant to incapacitate him for some other purpose?

“We can deal with them later,” Xander stated, taking the towel from him. “The auction is more pressing.”

“So how do you want to deal with them then?” He gestured to the captured spies. “Kill them?”

“Restraining them would be better in the long term.”

Xander helped dry his hair as they came up with ways to keep these guys out of sight. There was a harmonious atmosphere around them as they discussed their next plan of action.

It felt strange how easy it was to talk business with Xander. There were times Qin Rong would think back to the kid that would cry and flinch at the mere mention of blood. Yet here he was, grown up and having slit a few throats himself.

It was surreal at times.

Eventually, it was decided that they would leave the spies for his men to pick up. While they couldn’t enter the castle due to the security, if it was just picking up some bodies, it was easy to do from the outside.

“But how should we get them outside?” Xander wondered aloud, staring down at the duo who lay on the ground. They had been knocked out so they were mostly dead weight.

“Let's hang them outside the window.”

Xander barely suppressed a chuckle at the suggestion. “Like laundry?”

“Why not?”

Xander burst out laughing when he heard his fae’s suggestion spoken so casually. It was a solid plan but to say it with a serious face? How could he not laugh?

Qin Rong said nothing, crawling into bed after his hair was dry. There was no question where he was sleeping. After the long day he’d had, he deserved to sleep in a nice bed for once.

Xander was a bit horny but he knew Qin Rong wasn’t the type to let himself be taken advantage of.

Though, if he knew he’d already been eaten at least twice now by the same person, he might not have so readily trusted his friend's integrity.

With this in mind, Xander said nothing about it as he went to take his own bath.

They went through the night with neither taking advantage of the other. Though Xander did enjoy holding his fae close without having to fight for it. In fact, the mercenary seemed to melt into his arms as if seeking his warmth.

It was a pleasant evening.

***

The next morning, as he was eating breakfast with the lord of the castle, he was informed of the day's plan.

Xander looked up from his meal. “We won’t be using your carriage?”

Lord Kitum nodded, smiling apologetically. “The utmost secrecy is required for those attending the auction.”

Because of this, the two of them would have to depart for an agreed-upon location, at which point they would be picked up by an unmarked carriage. Only after confirming their membership and ‘roles’ would the carriage take them to the event.

Ah, so no using his corpse to get in. He thought, taking a drink. That's a shame.

“How long will it take to arrive?”

“A day's travel.” The lord assured, sounding relieved that the prince wasn’t more angry at the delay. “If we leave now, we should arrive by nightfall.”

“Not too bad.”

Honestly, his plans for the lord were not really to kill him personally. The man had lived this long due to knowing enough high-ranking people to keep him from dying. He’d make a lot of enemies if he died at the prince's hand.

If he happened to die at the hand of bandits of unknown origin, however, how could such a thing be blamed on him?

But for now, Xander had to keep the bastard alive long enough to ensure a membership at the auction house. If nothing else, he couldn’t afford to mess up his delicate balancing act of being feared and unassuming.

He really regretted how reckless he had been when he first went back home. Had he bided his time and accumulated allies more carefully, his father wouldn’t have ‘volunteered’ him to the frontlines.

It was worthwhile but now he had to be more careful.

It was why he’d needed a leg up and sent for some documents to aid his current mission. The amphithere that had arrived last night had belonged to his eldest brother, Golidan, passing on some names he should consider allying with who were either unaligned or willing to switch allegiances.

This was part of his reward for the errand he was taking part in.

While distasteful, he couldn’t afford to go into the battle for the throne with only his fellow soldiers as allies. Even though he was sure he could win, it wouldn’t be as simple as just killing the emperor.

Nobles, merchants, and civilians would see him as a dictator and plot against him. They would ally with other nations who sought to tear the nation apart and beat him.

He couldn’t afford such a mess just because he was a bit impatient.

Having Qin Rong around again did relieve him of his rush.

At least, it did when the man was actually around.

Cause he ended up waking up alone.

Again!

It was disappointing that Qin Rong hadn’t stayed until morning. Waking up alone once again was getting annoying now but at least the fae had left a letter this time, explaining that he had his own matters to set up for tonight.

It made sense, as he was sure Qin Rong had a mission of his own he needed to have completed.

Contrary to what can be assumed, mercenaries are very picky with the jobs they take. Or at least, the ones who live for a long time, are. Rarely does one meet an elderly mercenary who was reckless in their youth.

Qin Rong was anything but reckless. He was a suspicious guy, questioning even the most gentle offers.

Still, the fact he let Xander sleep in the same bed meant that there was trust between them and he refused to waste that trust by pushing too much. Hence why he let it go despite his initial frustration.

Qin Rong was his, regardless.

If it took a little longer to get him to accept that, so be it.

He was, after all, very patient.

***

Once the lord and Xander arrived at their pick-up spot, the prince realized things would be a bit difficult.

The pick-up spot was an isolated inn on the plains. The nearest treeline was some distance away and sparse.

That meant he couldn’t have his shadow guard follow after them easily.

This complicated things a bit.

He’d originally planned on having his men follow their carriage, wait for his signal, and storm the event.

With such a large, open space and sparse trees, it would be difficult for any of his men to follow after him.

How troublesome.

“Your Highness?” Lord Kitum whispered, glancing around the inn. “Have you chosen your partner yet?”

Right, that.

Lord Kitum had suggested just picking up a random peasant as his partner if he didn’t want one of his ‘ladies’. He’d just have to pick someone appealing to the eye.

Such a thought disgusted him but he kept his thoughts from his face.

Just as he was about to worry that the lord's suggestion would have to be done, he spotted a vibrant shock of green hair.

It wasn’t a rare sight. If anything, his own black-as-night hair was more notable than any other color.

The reason he noticed it was because he recognized that wig. And it was a wig, as he knew that there was a lovely shade of sky-blue hair underneath.

“That one.” He pointed, redirecting the guard's attention to the green-haired farmhand.

As if sensing their gazes, the young man turned to them, his gold eyes bright with confusion.

My fae is quite the actor. Xander thought, watching the bodyguards drag him over. The fight he gave was enough to convince the bodyguard that he was unwilling but Xander knew better. His fight was nominal at best.

It was reassuring to see Qin Rong act the part of a hapless commoner being bullied by the nobles. It’d make things less suspicious.

That and he still couldn’t get himself to wear clothes that covered all his skin so he was a sight to behold.

“You’ll do.” The prince said, seemingly ignoring the commoners' shouts of indignation and rage. It made the others see him as a tyrant and cruel, which suited him for the time.

If he was soft, they’d question his intentions.

Lord Kitum smiled, relaxing more as Qin Rong was dragged to the waiting carriage. Now that they had their offering, they could leave.

He’d have to ask Qin Rong about his plans later when they had a chance to talk.

His thoughts were interrupted by the questioning look of his escort.

“You have something to say?” He growled, knowing exactly what he was about to say.

“Never, your highness.” He denied it, staring after Qin Rong and his bodyguards. Xander was tempted to slit his throat for doing so but refrained. “I just expected you to choose a woman. I had no idea that his highness had such… interests.”

Xander gave him a cold look. “Is that a problem?”

“Never, my lord.” He assured, his smile growing with a hint of calculation. “We all have our quirks and eccentricities. I promise I won’t share such intimate news with anyone.”

Which meant he was absolutely going to blather all about how the feared and reviled 8th prince was interested in men.

This suited him just fine. Let them think he was strange and whisper about him. If he played his cards right, they may just start to let their guard down due to their own assumptions of his interests.

When a royal showed a weakness for the flesh, people took notice and tried to exploit it. Scandals, rumors and the like that made others see them as less than. Royals were meant to be above that, after all.

Him being into men was bound to make others assume he was strange in other ways. Perhaps even sick.

It suited his purposes well so he said nothing as the lord tried to pry out of him his preferences. That he had plenty of slaves that might pique his interest if he was interested.

He was non-committal with his answers, still needing the old man.

Lord Kitum apparently needed him for something too, as he chose to suck up to him by offering him some entertainment.

The entertainment being the newly cleaned and dressed Qin Rong in his green wig.

“For your pleasure, your Highness.” He said, bowing as he closed the doors to their carriage. Considering the look in his eye, Xander could guess he had his own ‘entertainment’ waiting in his carriage.

He sighed, immediately undoing the bonds on Qin Rong’s wrists and ankles.

“I’m going to kill him later.” Was the first words out of the fae’s mouth. There was no need to ask who ‘he’ was.

“As long as it's after his usefulness has expired, you can do as you like.”

If a random peasant killed the lord, it might be a problem for those around but he knew Qin Rong was smart enough not to leave a mess for others.

The pair checked the interior of the carriage. The inside was sparse but comfortable. The windows were blacked out, so they couldn’t see outside and it was easy to guess that the outside couldn’t look in.

Another measure to ensure secrecy.

They were effectively cut off from the outside world.

Curious, Xander tapped the wall. The echo of magic reverberated against his skin. “Soundproof.”

“To muffle my screams?” The fae chuckled, stretching his limbs. “How convenient.”

“That too, I suppose.” He sat beside the fae, relaxing beside him. “Secrecy is key for these kinds of things.”

This meant he couldn’t relay information easily to his men. He could use his shadows but not from inside the carriage. Voicing his concern, Qin Rong was quick to offer a solution.

“Then it's a good thing Xiao Dao follows me everywhere. I’ll have him circle back for your guys and lead the way.”

“That little guy can find them?” His men were very good at their trade. Qin Rong sensing them was a given since his sense of magic was deeper than other beings, even elves. There's little one can hide from the fae. But a bird?

“You’d be surprised by how much a bird can do, especially my Xiao Dao.” He replied, letting out a weary sigh. “It’s… it's kind of scary sometimes.”

“Oh?”

There was something that scared his Qin Rong more than a cliffhanger of his favorite story?

“Yeah, once I was chest deep in enemy territory, surrounded on all sides by hostiles. No backup and no means of requesting any either.” He grumbled the last part, again hating the lack of communication in this life. He hadn’t realized just how spoiled he’d been until he’d had to go low-tech on missions.

“What happened?

“Well, I thought I was gonna die and was deciding how many of them I could take out with me.” He explained. He didn’t tell him he only had a few arrows and a blade on him at the time cause he was sure Xander would criticize his plan. “Then… Then Xiao Dao did… something.”

It was hard to explain the series of events that followed. To this day, he wasn’t exactly sure how just picking up a stick and tipping over a rock ended with several tents, and a man on fire only to end with an uprooted tree being used to block his pursuers as he escaped with his haul.

It was some Rube Goldberg shit right there.

Xander burst out laughing at Qin Rong’s mystified expression

“Really? The man was on fire?”

“Literally, burst into flames. I don’t know how that even happened.” The mercenary emphasized, a small smile growing in response. “Weirdly, it started at the legs so he just ran around the camp, screaming that his pubes were on fire.”

Xander could barely keep his composure at the image conjured. “And no one stopped to help him?”

“A lot was happening so him being on fire was a him problem, I guess.”

“And it gave you time to escape.” He concluded, relaxing beside the fae.

Qin Rong nodded, relaxed as well.

You know, when Xander wasn’t trying to get in his pants, it was actually easier to talk to him. Even though he was slightly more aware of Xander’s hands, he could ignore it the same way he ignored a girl with a low-cut top.

A quick glance and the conversation continued.

It was the kind of relaxing atmosphere that he had missed. His cohorts and even Arthdal didn’t get his interests yet Xander always acted like he did. Even when he was confused due to a lack of context.

I suppose the concept of traveling to a magical world from a mundane one would sound strange to someone already living in a fantastical world. He thought, reaching into one of the bags for a change of clothes.

Despite his abrupt ‘kidnapping’, Xander had prepared a change of clothes so he wouldn’t stick out in a crowd. And it wasn’t a dress so that made him happy.

Even if the clothes were missing a few pieces.

“Is this a damn boob window?!” holding up the article of clothing accusingly. It was an amazing outfit, very regal, and screamed money. Yet why did it resemble a stripper costume?!

“Don’t like it?”

“Why would I like it?”

For some reason, he didn’t answer that, instead shrugging off his concern. “The males' Lord Kitum has aren’t built like you so I had to look elsewhere. This was the only outfit I could find that wasn’t a dress.”

“...But a boob window, though?”

“My Qin Rong might not have a developed chest but it's definitely something to be peeked at.” He joked, tapping his pec. The proximity of that finger to his nipple was definitely not noticed by him.

Definitely not.

“Want some help?” The prince offered, closing in on Qin Rong with a seductive smile. “There are a lot of small buttons and-”

“That hand goes any further south, you’ll be losing it tonight.” He warned, not even looking as Xander pulled his hand away. The prince had only barely hidden his actions, possibly seeking to use Qin Rong’s relaxation to gain some ground. “I don’t plan on having anything happen between here and our destination tonight.”

“Tonight?” He echoed, noting his wording. “Does that mean I have a chance on another night?”

Qin Rong said nothing, but that was as good as acceptance for him.

He’d spent the day considering whether or not to take Xander’s offer. On one hand, it felt weird to have sex with a guy. On the other, he wasn’t completely uninterested. Sex between friends was a thing and it didn’t have to go beyond that.

That was the key selling point of his decision.

He didn’t want a relationship. He’d be faithful if he was in one but he’d rather not at the moment. There was too much he needed to do and having a boyfriend who was a prince would be way too much for him.

***

The duo hadn’t even alighted from the carriage when they took in the full scope of their destination.

The auction house was not what either of them had expected. It wasn’t a dour-looking mansion steeped in mystery. Instead, it was a large monstrosity of a building with pillars of gold and shining lights.

If anything, it looked like one of those casinos one would find in Vegas or something. It shone like a lighthouse in the dark.

It was way too noticeable.

Qin Rong pasted a look of awe, using the opportunity to study the venue.

It looked the part but the light seemed to only travel so far before abruptly ending near the clearing where dozens of carriages were parked. The opaque black of the vehicles made it seem like there was a wall of darkness surrounding the guests.

“The carriages are probably bespelled,” Xander whispered, tucking loose hair behind the fae’s ear. Anyone looking would assume the two were flirting.

Qin Rong smiled back.

“Do you think it's a trap?” He asked, his mouth barely moving. “To lure those who want to expose them into recklessly rushing in?”

The place screamed ‘NOTICE ME’ but such an organization wouldn’t be reckless like this.

“I would assume so.” The prince looked around, checking out all the faces. They were masked, as is to be expected but he could pick out a few familiar figures. “We’ll need to warn my men to be wary of the barrier.”

Otherwise, they would be alerting the guards and the organizers of their intentions.

Qin Rong whistled, the soft note swallowed by the surrounding bustle of the crowds.

[Chi-chirip]

He smiled, nodding to Xander. Xiao Dao had followed him and was somewhere nearby.

It’s to be expected that the barrier wouldn’t detect animals but the confirmation made their plan easier to accomplish.

“Shall we, my dear?” Xander asked, offering his arm to the fae like a proper gentleman.

Qin Rong nodded, taking a step forward to alight from the carriage.

Except his foot missed the step and he fell, Xander rescuing him from face-planting onto the ground. His cry of alarm drew the eyes of those nearby. Most sneering at the duo.

Some due to their embarrassing display.

Others due to how obvious they were as newcomers.

All of them gave them a mere glance before moving on.

Unseen by anyone, however, the small note that had been in Qin Rong’s hand was thrown high in the air. In the blink of an eye, a bird flew by to catch it.

Xander gave him a look, silently asking for confirmation of their ruse’s success. He smiled, looking as if he were just grateful to be caught.

The message had been successfully passed onto one of Xiao Dao’s birds.

And they’d confirmed that there were guards watching them. They had tried to look like regulars but both men could see the way they watched their act with a much more critical eye than the regulars.

So far, the amount of reconnaissance gained was growing by the second.

“Did you have too much fun with him, your highness?” Lord Kitum joked, leering at Qin Rong as he leaned on Xander. His approach was smooth despite their trip being hours long. “He can no longer even walk straight?”

Qin Rong acted the part, clinging to Xander as he glared fearfully at Lord Kitum. After all, he was just a poor farmhand kidnapped by nobles. He couldn’t just slit the fucker’s throat as he wanted.

“Please refrain from using my title so openly, my lord.” Xander scolded, glaring at the older man. He tapped his mask. “It defeats the purpose of these if you go around calling me that.”

They had each been given a black mask, identical to one another and obscuring the top halves of their faces.

Yet this guy went around saying Xander’s title out loud.

Clearly, he didn’t respect the prince.

Fear him? Absolutely. But the man knew his value and took advantage of it.

How annoying.

The trio was escorted into the venue. Once through security, the lobby was revealed to be more like a ballroom than anything. High balconies and circular architecture.

Qin Rong was checking the place out, wanting to know the layout when he spotted her on the balcony overlooking the room. She stuck out for many reasons. For one thing, her hair was the darkest in the room. Something he had only seen on Xander and Nik.

For a moment, he thought her hair was black like Xander’s but once the light hit it, he saw that it was actually blue. A dark blue that made him think of the deep oceans where light cannot penetrate.

And by her side were…

“Huh.” Qin Rong could only really raise an eyebrow at the sight before him. Really, what else could he say but ‘huh’?

Because flanking the deep sea blue-haired woman was a pair of orcs. They didn’t have snouts, though their noses were flatter than a human's. Their skin was a greyish green and their hair was as dark as their mistress’s. They towered over her and loomed over the crowd like sentinels.

Now it really feels like a fantasy world.

“Patrons, welcome to our humble abode.” She spoke smoothly, her seductive voice echoing through the room like a whisper in everyone's ear. Qin Rong shivered, feeling magic flow over him. “I am Simone La Butterfly, the acting host of this evening’s activities.”

The crowd started whispering amongst themselves.

“Simone?” One questioned.

“The organizer’s side piece.” Came the reply. “Calls herself his ‘secretary’.”

A snicker flowed between them.

“I see. I suppose the organizer is busy with his newer toys and left her to start things off.”

Qin Rong showed no reaction, storing the info for later. Instead, he watched the woman give her opening remarks.

Something about her was nagging at him but he couldn’t figure out why.

Was it her looks? No, she was pretty but no prettier than anyone else he’d met.

So what was it?

All of a sudden, he felt a hand grab his butt and he hissed. He turned to Xander, knowing it was him.

“What are you-

“We’re moving.” He whispered, leading him through the crowd as they followed Lord Kitum. “You go distracted.”

Qin Rong grimaced, realizing that he had gotten distracted. Rather than collecting information to relay to his Sodalis, he was staring at some chick.

How shameful.

“Right.” He sighed, conceding to the point. “There was just something about that woman.”

Xander frowned, glancing over. “Who, the vampire?”

“Vampire?” That was a new one. Sure there were elves and stuff but vampires too? “How can you tell?”

“I could see her fangs.”

He could?! She was pretty far away yet he could spot something like that?

“You have good eyes.”

“She’s showing them off so they are hard to miss.”

Was she? Qin Rong looked her over and noticed that she was. Her smile was flashing those fangs over and over again.

Like a predator flashing its fangs at prey.

Perhaps that is what caught his eye? The predatory look she gave the guests?

“So you do like dark hair then?” Xander teased, their voices low so no one could tell what they were talking about. To outsiders, it looked like the two were flirting.

“Just as much as you like taking advantage of a situation.” He shot back, giving him a chastising look. “You didn’t have to grab my ass to get my attention.”

“No, but I wanted to.” He admitted, grinning.

Their short conversation was interrupted by their arrival at their booth. Lesser nobles sat on the ground floor of the auditorium while the higher class sat on the walls overlooking the stage. Those there had the best view, which made them the much-preferred space.

As a prince, it was a given that Xander would be given such a space. Even Lord Kitum, a lifelong member, couldn’t get such a high seat before this.

“Your hi- I mean, young lord, I really must thank you for this time.” He said, trying to curry up favor from the prince. “Such a good seat being granted to a newcomer! It's quite an honor. I’m so glad I was able to have this space opened up to you.”

The fact this man was able to bootlick while still making it about himself was a bit impressive.

Qin Rong looked over the edge of their balcony. The room was filled with masked men and women. The guards lined the edge of the room, their eyes focused and alert for any disturbances.

A pretty good setup but not impossible to break through if they were careful.

His thoughts were interrupted by the woman's cry.

“Now, honored guest, let the auction begin!”

10