Plan B
292 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Watching the auction, Qin Rong couldn’t help but sigh.

People were the same, fantasy world or not.

The auction had the kind of things that was to be expected. Priceless artifacts that had been ‘acquired’ from the previous owner. Endangered species that were probably going to end up either mounted on some guy's wall or served on a plate.

Then there were the people.

Some were foreigners. Most were young girls. A few were familiar as he had seen them on the arm of other members upon arriving. The girl Lord Kitum had brought with him was there as well.

They were all normal stuff that made Qin Rong's jaded heart ache and wished he could drown himself in mindless dramas.

It was a nice distraction.

Qin Rong watched quietly, noting the few times Xander raised his hand to bid. He knew it was only so he wouldn’t seem suspicious but it irked him whenever he saw the man bid on a living person.

It really shouldn’t. He’d seen worse things in his life.

A person didn’t get to where he was without seeing some things.

He sighed, hating the path his thoughts were going down.

He came to get information on the possible sale of a fae from over a decade ago. To get that, he needed to get into the office of someone important.

He just had to wait a bit longer though.

The order of items was mixed so no one knew what would come next. Perhaps something living or a treasure. Whatever it was, Qin Rong was just waiting for a lull.

Only then would he-

His thoughts stopped when he spotted it. He felt a buzz in the air just as the drape covering the next item was revealed.

“Up next we have a lovely bracelet donated by a wealthy long-time member. Notice its unique luster and unknown script etched onto the inner part. While the material is unknown, it's noted to be cool to the touch and gives off a soothing feeling in the wearer. It was-”

Everything else she said was lost to the roar of anger flowing through his head. That bracelet!

That bracelet was definitely the one he’d worn when he died.

But it hadn’t been on his person when he’d been transmigrated so why was it here? Was it a duplicate? If so, what connection could it have to his last mission? Was there even a connection to begin with?

Either way, he’d have to find out who offered it to the auction house.

It was way too much of a coincidence for it to show up here.

“Are you interested in the bracelet?” Xander whispered as the auctioneer attempted to coax the audience into bidding on the piece.

When compared to ancient lost treasures, and exotic beauties, a simple-looking bracelet like that was nothing to even sneer at so no one had even raised their hand yet.

“I’m more interested in who owned it before this.” He replied honestly. “I’ll find out later.”

The auctioneer was just starting his last attempt to get just a bit more out of the item. Only one person had raised their hand but it was only the starting bid. It was barely worth bringing it out if it was sold at such a price.

The woman on stage sighed to herself, wondering if she would be punished for not getting more money for this item.

Just as she was about to declare the item sold for so little, another hand went up, offering 3 times the starting price.

The crowd shifted with confusion, muttering to each other about who was dumb enough to buy such a useless thing

Qin Rong was feeling the same way, staring at his companion with a look of shock and dismay.

Why the fuck was he bidding on the bracelet!?

“W-what are you-” His stilted words were cut off as the auctioneer spotted another hand rising.

“A-ah we have another bidder raising the stakes!” She cried, looking relieved as she pointed to a third person.

Qin Rong could only wonder what was in the wine that all of a sudden, all these people were scrambling for a useless piece of jade. He only hoped Xander wouldn’t keep goi-

The bastard raised his hand again.

Qin Rong didn’t even bother complaining. It wasn’t like him winning the bid would bother him. He just didn’t understand why this guy was suddenly bidding so hard when he was trying to be low profile.

He could only sit back and try to ignore the price skyrocketing between the three.

The first bidder had given up 3 raises ago, leaving only Xander and the mysterious other bidder. Qin Rong had tried to spot the other person, curious as to who was even dumber than the guy next to him but the darkness made it impossible to even see their outline.

In the end, Xander won, offering a price that could feed a village for a year.

All for a damn bracelet.

He gave the man a scolding look, ignoring his grin as he sat back with satisfaction.

“Satisfied?” Xander asked, his tone seeking approval in such a way that made Qin Rong want to smack the stupid from him.

If not for the damn lord nearby and the guards watching them, he’d have done it. He’d have chewed him out for being so reckless and drawing so much attention. Now everyone would be curious about the idiot with deep pockets who had bidded on junk.

It would be a hassle!

“I… have no words, my lord.” The mercenary said through gritted teeth. His eyes swore that when they were alone, he’d express his true feelings on the matter.

Xander reached out to touch his cheek, caressing his chin like they were true lovers.

“Actions speak louder than words, my dear.” He said, his voice clear for anyone to hear. “May I have my thanks as more than words?”

Who the fuck was thanking you!?

Truly, he wanted to punch this guy but he couldn’t without compromising their mission. This was bigger than just him. If things went well, they might even be able to rescue some of the slaves being sold here.

But he absolutely refused to let this guy get the last word.

***

Xander felt a bit bad for teasing Qin Rong like this.

They were on a mission and he shouldn’t be playing around like this. He bid only to make sure he didn’t seem suspicious. He won a few and lost a few, perfectly normal when compared to other newcomers.

But that bracelet was the only thing to bring light to his fae’s eyes.

Throughout the entire auction, regardless of what was brought forth, Qin Rong’s eyes remained cold. Even as slaves were brought out, crying and pleading in languages that few even cared to learn, the man showed no response.

It wasn’t the apathy that he’d seen all his life from his fellow nobles. That might have been disappointing but something he could fight against.

No, all that was in the fae’s eyes was acceptance.

As if everything that was happening was to be accepted. It was the kind of look one gave a mundane everyday occurrence. A mere glance and then back to one’s own life.

It was much more concerning a problem than apathy.

So he did what he did. He saw the glint of… something in the fae’s eyes and wanted to capture whatever it was that did it. It was dumb, considering how much attention he’d gained but it was better than seeing those cold eyes gazing forward indifferently.

Now he was faced with a glaring fae. It was a withering gaze that made him feel like he was being watched by a predator.

His fae was made but he was curious to see what he’d do next.

What he did next, however, left him floored.

Reaching up, Qin Rong stroked his cheek, his thumb brushing his lips seductively. He smiled, looking even more predatory.

Xander swallowed, not sure what was happening but not willing to fight whatever was going to happen.

Xander bit his thumb, sucking the finger into his mouth, wishing he could kiss him just then. He’d swallow this sexy man whole if he could.

He saw a flash of something in his eyes but was distracted by the sudden kiss he received.

Their previous kisses were heavy and devouring, as that was the depth of feeling Xander had been seeking to display to his beloved fae. To make Qin Rong understand how serious he was about him.

As such, it had always been him initiating things.

Yet the kiss that was stealing his sense of the present was initiated by Qin Rong himself. The one half pressing him down was Qin Rong. If it was for the arm of the chair they sat on, Xander might have been the one on his back.

As hot as that was, he didn’t want to be the one devoured.

Xander reached up to grab hold of the fae’s head, seeking to take back control now that his feelings had been reciprocated.

But just as he was about to do so, Qin Rong pulled away, leaving only a sliver sting of saliva linking the two.

Impatient, Xander sought to grab him, continuing their kiss but the fae slipped from his grasp with ease.

“I’ve gotta take a piss.” Qin Rong said casually, as if they hadn’t been kissing just seconds before. His voice was calm, though just a bit breathless.

“W-wai-”

“Thank you for letting me attend to you, my lord.” He interrupted, leaving the breathless prince half lying on the bench as he walked away.

***

Qin Rong sighed, feeling a bit more relaxed now.

Seeing the dazed look on his face, Qin Rong felt a jolt of satisfaction. Serves the bastard right for trying to mess with him when he knew he was pissed off. Enjoy those blue balls, dick.

Qin Rong walked out of the booth, noting the slight look on the guard's face before they went back to observing the hall.

Perhaps they thought he’d been seduced by Xander’s wealth and wouldn't cause trouble.

More likely, they underestimated him due to his slim body. While a fight between them wouldn’t be easy due to numbers, he could definitely kill them within a minute.

If he was armed a bit more, it’d be seconds.

All he had on him now was a few blades hidden on his person. One of the items Qin Rong wanted was flexible blades that he could always have on him when on missions.

Something he could slip out and use without being found later. It was definitely better than those loud guns Arthdal had made. Guns were only useful to inspire fear or at long range.

Here? It’d only be troublesome.

As he walked he felt a weird shiver run through him. It wasn’t the shiver that told him he was in danger, it was… a weird tingle.

He turned, searching for the source.

Meow~

He glanced down, spotting a black cat at his feet. It stared up at him with large yellow eyes that glowed in the darkened hallway.

Usually, cats creeped him out for that exact reason yet he didn’t feel that way now. Instead, he felt a strange comfort in the creature.

It purred, rubbing itself across his legs.

“How cute~” He couldn't help saying, lifting it into his arms. To his surprise, it didn’t fight him, settling into his arms as if it were home. “How curious.”

The cat wasn’t fully black like he’d first assumed. It had a large white mark on its chest, almost looking like a star.

“That's kind of cool.” He muttered, petting the cat as he walked. He could feel the collar around its neck but it didn’t feel like a normal collar. It was metal for one thing and when he touched the lock keeping it in place-

“Shit!” He hissed, pulling his hand away. He rubbed his fingers, trying to ease the burning sensation.

Iron.

He’d learn some time ago that certain metals seem to hurt him for whatever reason. It was why he tended to wear gloves when working. The burns were never too much as long as he pulled away fast enough.

But it was weird to have an iron lock when everything was a different material.

Even more curious was the cat itself.

What was it doing here?

Qin Rong looked around, searching for the possibly hidden owner. Yet his senses and well-honed instincts told him that other than the guards some distance away, there was no one else around.

He stared down at the feline that had settled into his arms like it was home.

Was this that animal affinity thing, again?

Even so, this was not the time for this.

He set it down, ignoring its grumbling hiss as it landed. It looked up at him, circling him as if that would convince him to pick it up again.

Qin Rong ignored it, walking forward as he explored the hall. There were a few people outside the booths, talking and exchanging pleasantries.

Qin Rong kept his gaze straight though he made a mental note of some of the uncovered faces he saw in his peripheral.

Quite a few were wanted in the neighboring countries. Many more were wanted in this country.

Perhaps if he was quick, he could collect a few bounties this evening.

He could hear them talking amongst themselves. Various gossip and foreign affairs. Scandals, wars, and the escapades of some prince with bright pink eyes.

All stuff he could use later on as long as he got out without too much trouble.

“Sir!” A guard stepped in front of him, blocking his path. “Sir, you are required to keep pets on a leash.” The guard declared, staring down at Qin Rong.

He didn’t even need to turn to see what the man was talking about. He felt the cat brush up against his legs affectionately, meowing softly.

He sighed, picking up the cat reluctantly.

The cat was cute but man did it get in the way of his information gathering. Now that he’d been picked out from the crowd, everyone was staring at him.

How was he supposed to sneak into the organizer's office with this much attention on him? It was bad enough that he didn’t have a layout and was just wandering about.

His pride as a profession was being stung.

Yet he was relieved that he was mostly left alone. Considering he was free ‘to take’ for anyone interested in him, he was surprised no one had tried to bother him.

***

After a few minutes of wandering and a few run-ins with guards ‘kindly’ letting him know he was in a restricted area, Qin Rong had a better feel for the layout of the building.

The floor he was on was the same as those above and below him. That was the theater in which the auction occurred. There was a basement level that could be accessed by guests but anything further down was blocked by guards and some sort of magic barrier.

It didn’t seem to repel him but burned like iron against his skin.

That had to be where the merchandise was being stored. While he wanted to break it as a distraction, he didn’t know what would follow. Alarms, bloodshed, and chaos were at the top of the list.

Moreover, Xander was supposed to handle that part so he wouldn’t jeopardize that.

His target was the office of the organizer.

His sources had informed him that there was supposed to be a faery to be sold at this place over a decade ago that fell through for some reason. He didn’t know for sure if that faery was the original owner of his body or another.

Either way, it was his best chance to get a better understanding of how they had caught that kid and whose throat he’d have to slit for putting him in that position.

The problem was finding that office.

The upper floors were restricted to all guests. His being an ‘escort’ meant he couldn’t even use Xander’s name to sneak in. If he knew which window led to the office, he’d scale the wall. It’d be risky but it was the only way right then.

“So how am I getting in?” He muttered to himself. Now that he was alone, he thought this would be the best chance to sneak in but the security was surprisingly tight. Any place that lacked security was so far from any sensitive area that it meant nothing.

Meow.

The cat jumped from his arms, shocking the mercenary. He’d forgotten he’d been holding it this whole time. Now that they were alone, he should be able to leave it here without any trouble.

It walked over to the wall of the resting room they’d found some time ago. It was ornate and comfortable, though the colors were bright enough to make his eyes burn. When the cat slipped underneath a table, Qin Rong didn’t think much of it. Cats wander about all the time.

But when he heard it meow incessantly after disappearing, he followed, a bit curious. Animals seemed willing to help him, even if their baser instincts might push them to do something else.

Perhaps this cat could help him find that office.

He stood to follow but heard the door behind him open softly.

“Oh, it's you.” A soft voice called out, pulling him from his thoughts. He had hoped no one would come in since the auction was still going on. From what he observed during his reconnaissance, these rooms were mainly used for rendezvous’ and the like. Anyone going would make enough noise for him to notice them and escape.

Yet this woman had come in so quietly.

He frowned. “Do I know you?”

The woman who came up to him was the one he’d seen at the welcoming speech. The vampire lady, Simone, or whatever.

Curiously, she was alone.

“That doesn’t matter.” She replied, sweeping her hair off her shoulder. It was a practiced move, it seemed, since her movements didn’t look natural. There was flair when it wasn’t needed and he doubted anyone would teach such a thing.

It was weird.

“I’m more curious about you.” She continued, walking in casually. “You bought the bracelet?”

Eh, was it about that?

“What's it to you?” Moreover, how did she know he was involved in the bidding? Had she checked the records herself? If so, why?

“Well, I was interested in it so it was quite disappointing that someone else snatched it from me at the last second.”

Qin Rong didn't believe her. Nobles were petty but to go through that much effort in so little time went past just ‘interest’.

“And? You could have kept bidding if you really wanted it.”

She grimaced at the suggestion. “Only an idiot would spend so much money on a useless thing like that.”

To that, Qin Rong agreed. The bracelet had more value to him since it might have some connection to his past life but he would never spend that much on it.

He could just steal it later.

Yet Xander bought it for such a price.

Idiot.

“And yet here you are, whining to me about it.” He shot back, glancing out into the hallway. “If it was worth bothering me about after the fact, then you should have fought a bit harder for it.”

“You-!”

“No need to get your panties in a bunch.” He interjected, watching Simone flush with anger. Glancing out into the hallway, he saw her guard, the orc, glaring at him.

He frowned. Weren’t there two of them?

He turned to search for the second just before he heard a click behind him. Where the wall was.

He spun around, hand already grasping his hidden blade when he saw a large hand grab at him. He pulled back, swiping his blade at the palm. Blood spilled out, blocking his vision for a moment before a second pair of arms wrapped around his torso and squeezed.

Air rushed out of him, the pain making him drop his knife.

Shit!

The orc he’d turned his back to wrapped its meaty hands around his throat, cutting off airflow. The one in front of him glared at him, clutching its bleeding palm.

His vision was going blurry but he clearly heard her speak.

“This was not part of the plan, Benji.” Simone chastised, walking over and studying the wound.

“S-sorry, Mistress.”

“It’s fine.” Simone sighed, as the orc choked him. “I suppose communications have broken down we’ll have to try plan B.”

11