Chapter 2
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The leaves rustle as the frigid breeze brushes on the squamose surface of the creature lying on the earth. The creature opens its sapphirine frosty eyes liting the pitch-black forest.

Suddenly, swishing noises are heard from the bushes. Hasty steps from the trees are gradually drawing near. A man in a sable suit comes out from the darkness. Behind him, a furrowing woman appears deep while she grips her coat together on her chest. The man rushes before the creature with a troubled and hurried look while the woman follows behind. The creature notices the bassinet filled with an ivory cot and a baby held by the woman.

“We must go, Eins.” The man speaks to the creature as he gets the basket in his arms. “They are coming.”

From a coiling position, the creature stands. The creature's head protrudes above the trees and its scaly feet raze the grasses and bushes underneath. The branches swing as it flaps its immense wings twice and its stout tails disappear into the trees.

The man and woman climb onto the creature's back as it sits on the ground. “Where do we head?” the creature's voice echoes in the darkness waking up the birds.

“In Hange.”

As the creature begins to flap its wings, the birds fly away in fear. The baby cries constantly in the skies.

 

With her hair scattered on the pillow, Rein opens her deep bluish eyes. She feels big chunks of cold sweat on her temples. She sees stars from the window next to her bed. She closes her eyes working back on her sleep.

 

The cry of the baby ringing in her mind fails her to fall asleep. She sits up, reaches for the knob, and opens the window. A cool breeze touches her face as she steps out from the window. With her feet on the sill, she climbs up to the top of the roof.

 

From this height, she could see the sleeping Suden and on her far right the dark horizon.

 

Rein does not know how her restaurant will continue from its opening to the future but she had risked her life into it. People certainly sneer at her for doing it instead of going where being a musician leads her. Undoubtedly, her reputation will fly up in the skies if she decides to go with one of the theater companies but she wanted this for her life.

 

Screw they theater eejits.

 

“Awright, Rein!”

 

She turns to see Jade waving his hands in the air. He lives in a room next to Rein's house. His family works for the Viscountess and he works in the cafe owned by the Viscountess which happens to be next door.

 

“Guid mornin'!”

 

His exuberance never ceases to amaze Rein since they were kids. His voice could wake up anyone who is still sleeping now.

 

“Urr ye 'ere fur th' sunrise tae?”

 

“Na. Ah juist woke up earlie.” Rein sits on the roof.

 

“Ah cam fur th' sunset. It looks braw up 'ere!”

 

The starry cobalt sky gradually changes into a blend of scarlet and peach. Clouds hovering up high move farther away from Trayl.

 

“Tis comin', Rein!”

 

“Aye, aye.”

 

The sun slowly appears on the horizon with golden rays bathing the sea, clouds, and roofs.

 

* * *

 

Few people pass before her as she sprinkles water to the plants beside her doors. People around the street prepare for the opening of their stores and shops.

 

However, Rein was worried if her servants would come back or if they would come late for their job. Servants who are discontent with their masters or mistresses can approach the Merchant's Guild to breach their employment contract. When a servant does this on his own, the Merchant's Guild will inform the master or mistress on the next day.

 

She was born a commoner and once born a commoner will die a commoner. That is unless she marries a bourgeoisie or an aristocrat, however, doing so would close her restaurant and be left sitting on a lounge chair wearing a cincher corset paired to an overflowing bell-shaped skirt with a lady-in-waiting. Nevertheless, she could climb her way up into the society owning enough fame and prestige to claim a bourgeois class wherein commoners hardly attain.

 

In addition to that, Rein is a woman. Other than taking away their rights upon marriage, a woman is not legally permitted to do what every man does however she still retains few of her rights. Commoner women are not allowed to present themselves before the public unless men allow them to. That's why she only had waiters.

 

The bell bongs once indicating the eighth hour of the day has come. Rein walks to the door with a long face. Och, they're nae arriving.

 

“Good morning, Mistress Rein.”

 

She hears a familiar voice coming from her back. As she turns, her smile beams light seeing the faces before her. Jings, thank goodness.

 

“Is there something wrong, Mistress Rein?” Laura asks.

 

“Oh, nothing. Good morning, too.” Rein opens the door and they step inside.

 

“Wow!” As Laura sets eyes on the grand piano on the round elevated surface in the midst, she immediately runs to it. “This is a real piano! Look!” She was amused at seeing the piano for the first time that she runs her hands on its surface.

 

Rein clears her throat to get their attention. “I-I, actually, just finished cleaning it.”

 

Laura immediately puts her hand in her pockets. “I'm so sorry, Mistress Rein.” She feels ashamed for behaving shamefully before Rein. She runs to the kitchen and comes back with a rug. “I'll clean it right away, Mistress.” She hurriedly wipes the piano trying to reflect on her behavior.

 

“So,” Rein turns to the four servants, “we should prepare.”

 

As they walk into the kitchen, Laura finishes wiping and follows behind them.

 

I completely forgot that normally we don't see instruments. Rein was surprised how her servants had responded upon seeing the grand piano.

 

She walks upstairs to get the flowers she bought a while ago. She walks back downstairs and sees her three waiters wearing black suits and bowties while her cook and chef wear white coats and caps.

 

“Now, we are looking more like a real restaurant.” Rein hands the flowers to Georg. “I think we've got vases in the storage room. The tablecloths are also in there.” The two men walk to the kitchen while Georg arranges the flowers.

 

Rein faces Laura and Marie. “Please take out the menus and set up the kitchen.”

 

“Yes, Mistress Rein.” They disappear into the kitchen.

 

“Can you manage here until it opens?” Rein asks Georg. “I have to go upstairs.”

 

“Yes, Mistress Rein. We will prepare the tables and curtains, and place the notice board outside.”

 

As Georg reassures her, Rein goes upstairs straight to her room.

 

* * *

 

Half an hour later, Rein appears drawing delicate steps downstairs. As the waiters notice her, their eyebrows raise.

 

She was wearing a silky emerald gown trimmed on the arms but left with laced voila on both shoulders. The ruffled tiers of the skirt take down a graceful curve and silhouette shadows onto the floor. 

 

With her tousled braids swept neatly upwards, it is evident that she had not used any cosmetics. At a glance, she looks like a daughter of high aristocracy but her bare face fails her to be recognized so.

 

“Wow, are you really gonna play that piano?” Laura comes out of the kitchen.

 

Rein nods while grinning. “Yes, it's just to attract customers, though.” After reaching the piano, she takes off her gloves and places them beside the music desk. She starts her preparations. “Stop staring at me.” Laura was still watching her.

 

“Oh, sorry. I'd better go back,” she immediately walks back to the kitchen.

 

This is quite taxing. Rein raises her skirt as she takes a seat before the keys. She flips the lid and runs her fingers on them. 

 

She looks around and finds someone near the doors. “Cristof.” The young man beside the doors turns his attention to her. “Will you please listen to the music?” 

 

“Yes, Mistress Rein.” Rein starts playing gentle music.

 

She stops halfway and asks, “Can you hear it from there?”

 

“Yes, I believe the people outside also hear them.”

 

Rein smiles as her fine-tuning turn out great and continues to play the music. It's been a long time since she played the piano and fine-tuned it herself. 

 

A few moments later, the ninth-hour bell rings. As Rein glances, Cristof opens the door and there was a line formed by their first customers to dine in.

 

 

For a couple of hours playing the piano, Rein sits on the lounge chair to rest her hands. All of the tables were occupied while the waiters were toing and froing from the kitchen to the customers. The line which she first saw during the opening is still present and growing.

 

Every time Rein plays any instrument she is taken by the notes. She forgets the time and fails to notice her surroundings. She never imagined serving these endless customers.

 

“Good morning, Mistress.” A man in a suit and staff kneels and kisses her hand. “My name is Raphael from the Bourboin, the Viscountess of Desciem.”

 

Rein's fingers shake as she grips her skirt and curtains. “I am Rein from the Cronstedt family in Traviun and I run Ambrosia. It is a great pleasure to have your presence here. Is there something I can help you with?”

 

“Let us take a seat first.” He offers her a seat and after she sits he follows. “The food you serve is definitely voluptuous. You must have an excellent chef.”

 

“Indeed, it is. Her dexterity in the kitchen even surpasses mine.”

 

“She must be born in aristocracy, I bet. However, I had never seen or tasted such cuisine. Did she formulate them also?”

 

“My chef only cooks everything I had included in the menu, Lord Raphael.” When will this dude stop his chatter and get to his point? Rein smiles.

 

“Mistress Rein must be a good chef, then.”

 

“Oh, no. Not that much.”

 

“Nevertheless, you are indeed a genius in your piece earlier.”

 

Now, we're almost getting there. “I had been playing several instruments since I was a child. It was just a matter of practice, Lord Raphael.”

 

“Oh, I fail to see that. You certainly have a gift for music, Mistress Rein. That gift suits a bigger stage than this.”

 

“That would be an exaggeration, Lord Raphael.”

 

“It is not. I can see that your future pursuing arts will lead you to instant fame and prestige. I can assure you that.”

 

Rein glances to the tables and notices some men and women looking at her. They look like they are waiting for this conversation to end. This must be Veronica's work. It had brought in endless customers however refusing all of them would be another problem.

 

She grips her hand tightly. “If you, Lord Raphael, are working on your way to getting me into your company, I deeply apologize for I cannot accept your offer. I have no intention of closing this place to get into any company.”

 

“You can attain necessary factors to be a bourgeois or even an aristocrat immediately with me. The royalty will recognize you for that.”

 

“That is unnecessary, Lord Raphael. Please leave if that is all you want to say.”

 

“You can trust me on that, Mistress Rein. You have no reason to doubt or to refuse it. I can give you more than this if you join us.”

 

“No. I suggest you leave, Lord Raphael.”

 

“I am Raphael, son of the Viscountess. As your class entails you, you have no right to refuse or disobey my wishes.” He stands to emphasize his authority. Such arrogance.

 

Rein hears someone clearing his throat. They turn to see a man who slowly takes away his hat. As they stare for a few moments, they finally realize who the man is.

 

When they turn for a curtsey, the man immediately says, “Please don't make a fuss. No one realizes that I'm here.” He was the Crowned Prince of Aldea wearing a suit trying to make himself look like an aristocrat. “Would you mind leaving us for a while, Mister Raphael?”

 

“I wouldn't mind, Your Majesty. I was just about to take my leave. Please do take your time.” He slips away from them and leaves.

 

Rein tries to hold her laugh pursing her lips. He was definitely furious about leaving.

 

“It seems that you are very popular with your customers, Mistress Rein.” He notices the glaring eyes of some people dining. “Is there someplace where their eyes are not this piercing?”

 

“We have a parlor upstairs, Your Majesty.” Rein stands.

 

“Will you take me there?”

 

“Kindly follow me, Your Majesty.” Rein leads the prince upstairs to her parlor. As they arrive, the prince offers to take a seat first however she refuses as she suggests making tea.

 

“I have all types of tea from the country to the Empire. What sort of tea do you prefer, Your Majesty?” she asks as she prepares from the side table.

 

“Which would you recommend to me, then?”

 

“That would be the white peony tea, Your Majesty. You probably haven't heard of it. It comes from Camellia sinesis but slightly oxidized.” Rein serves the tea to the prince and takes a seat. “This is Traviun's signature tea, Your Majesty.”

 

He takes a sip from the tea. “Now, this is interesting. I should probably visit Traviun again. Aldea must realize its existence.” He turns to Rein. “You are certainly strange.”

 

“Why would that be, Your Majesty?” Rein sips her tea.

 

“You are the first non-aristocratic person I see playing a grand piano. You even refused an offer from the heir of Viscountess Bourboin. And, you could have made yourself appear as an aristocrat today but you chose not to wear any cosmetics.” He was confused by Rein's behavior and characteristics as people in her class would probably do the contrary.

 

Rein smiles after she realizes she has done them. “You are exaggerating, Your Majesty.” Rein finishes her tea. “I simply wanted to continue running this place and I wanted to be recognized as non-aristocrat and non-bourgeois.”

 

“No. That's what's strange.” He clears his throat. “You even have a strange menu in which ingredients are eaten only by commoners but strangely aristocrats and bourgeoisie dining in take pleasure from it. I don't know but it even strangely fits in the luxurious setting of your restaurant. And so, I have an offer. If that wouldn't be so rude.”

 

“Please go ahead, Your Majesty.”

 

“I would love to serve your menu to the royalty. This is only between us. His High Majesty, Emperor Elric, is suffering from a sort of heart disease.” He sips his tea. “The doctor says to reduce his meat intake and take the medicine. You know how medicines are made from a few animals and plants. And he refuses to do it.”

 

“And you think he would eat my menu. Is that what you're suggesting, Your Majesty?”

 

“Yes, indeed. Your bean steaks are especially great. I am not that proficient in culinary but I think I quite understand how you had formulated your menu. Of course, if you do, the royalty will probably ask for your menu to be served every day. Not only it will be advantageous for your restaurant but I am certain this will change the course of food in Aldea.”

 

“That's overwhelming, Your Majesty.” As calm as she looks, in her mind Rein is thrilled to think that her food might change the standards of food in Aldea.

 

“You don't have to decide immediately. Please do think of it. I am not forcing you and you can refuse it if that's what you see fit.”

 

He finishes his tea. “This was a delicious tea. Thank you for having me here, Mistress Rein. I would like to take my leave.” He kneels and kisses her hand. “You'll have to rest your hands so I will see myself out.” The prince stands and bows. He disappears as Rein sees him walking downstairs.

 

* * *

 

The waiters clean the tables, chairs, and the floor while the chef and the cook tidy the kitchen. As the fifth-hour bell had sounded a few minutes ago, the restaurant prepared to close. Rein had played the piano for two hours in the morning and another two hours in the afternoon. This had attracted people hearing it outside.

 

As the two sets of customers take their leave, Georg sets up the close sign before the door. Rein had changed into her mustard frock as soon as she finished playing the piano a couple of hours ago.

 

While she waits for her servants to finish the cleaning, she takes a seat on the lounge chair. 'Twas gey tiring.

 

A few moments later, the waiters, cook, and chef finish cleaning and change into their clothes. Cristof gives all of the receipts to Rein while the other young man places all of the ara (currency of Aldea) on the table. “Thank you, Brian.”

 

Rein turns to them. “You can now take your leave. Thank you for doing your best today. I hope to see you again tomorrow.”

 

“We will be off, then, Mistress Rein.” Marie turns while Laura follows her. “Bye, Mistress Rein.” She cheerfully waves her hand as she steps outside.

 

“We will be going also, Mistress Rein.” Georg walks to the door while behind him Brian and Cristof followed.

 

As Rein takes the receipts, the edge of the table grazes her finger. Suddenly, she finds herself flying in the starry moonlit skies. The cold wind pierces through her eyes while she hears the sound of a baby crying.

 

“Are you alright, Mistress Rein? I could hear you screaming in anguish outside.”

 

With a blurry vision, she sees the parchment again in her hand. She looks up to see Cristof's worried look.

 

“Oh, I'm fine. I'm fine. It was nothing.” She is still confused about what she saw and heard recently.

 

He notices little blood coming out from her finger. “I'll be right back.” He rushes to the kitchen and returns bringing a towel, bandage cloth, and a bowl filled with water.

 

“Oh, you don't have to. I can manage.”

 

Cristof washes her finger and wipes it off. He covers the graze with the bandage cloth after. “You'll have to play the piano again tomorrow, Mistress Rein. Your hands should be taken care of.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

He goes back to the kitchen bringing the towel and bowl of water and returns afterward. “I will be leaving, Mistress Rein.”

 

“Oh, thank you again.”

 

As Cristof leaves, Rein starts to audit the receipts and their income on their first day of opening the restaurant.

 

  1.  
0