Expectations
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The drawing was filled with fragrant smoke. In the middle of the haze, the Baron sat by the window, looking out into the yard. His subordinates were milling about, tending to the garden of the large estate or other miscellaneous tasks.

The air was heavy with tension but Murdoch couldn’t understand why.

When he and his friend had left the little foreigner to clean himself up, Murdoch had expected his friend to finally relax. He knew the man abhorred sexual assault above all things, in spite of his chosen profession.

He doubted the men he’d fired would make it home at all.

Still, the fact that his usually calm friend was smoking like a chimney made it clear he was still mad.

“You want me to clean things up around the manor?” He offered, leaning back into the chair.

The Baron was the proprietor of a brothel, which tended to many kinds of people. Sometimes the filthy sort, so it was required that they inspect the standing of their employees regularly. The women who came to them were vulnerable and meek, so many tried to take advantage of them when given the chance.

Murdoch’s unofficial job was to clean out those elements.

The fact that this incident had occurred despite the boss being home spoke volumes about how careless the induction process had become since he took a leave of absence.

The Baron clearly felt the same way.

“Be discreet.” He advised, smoke slipping past his lips as he spoke.

The redhead nodded, feeling a bit of the tension ease from the man's shoulders. Clearly, the incident had bothered him deeply.

Or perhaps it was due to the person being bullied?

“Do you like that oriental kid?” He brazenly asked, peeking over at the man he’d worked beside for three years. There wasn’t much Murdoch knew about him. Even with how close they were, he didn’t even know the man’s real name.

The Baron was as mysterious to him as with others.

The one thing he had over the public was the few moments of weakness shown by the man. Like now.

The Baron didn’t answer, continuing to study the garden below. He did, however, glare at Murdoch.

“Is that a yes or a ‘shut your hole’?” He pressed, resting his elbows on his knees. “I ain’t gonna judge if you like that sort of thing but-”

“Don’t push it!” He growled, standing tall. Murdoch flinched, moving away.

While Murdoch and the Baron were business partners and friendly with one another, Murdoch was one of few who knew of the man’s reputation. How he ravaged the seas and filled others with fear. It was what had drawn his curiosity.

The man who did such things yet was pardoned due to his services to the crown had to be quite interesting.

Yet the man he met wore the garb of a foreign nation so openly on the streets and at parties. A garb that masked the figure of the one wearing it to the point where one might doubt his masculinity.

Perhaps he was just a woman with a few masculine features?

Perhaps he was lacking more than just a proper male garb, as he never seemed to partake in pleasures of the flesh?

Few had dared speak these words aloud but Murdoch had heard it enough to be daring. So one night after a few drinks and a possible bed partner showing more interest in the masked man than him, Murdoch had challenged him to a sparring match. Wooden swords were used, as it was supposed to be a friendly match. Surely a man wearing such clothes couldn’t be so fearsome an opponent.

He found himself on the floor of the ballroom with a wooden sword pressed to his neck a few moments after that brazen thought.

The Baron was, in fact, scarier than others assumed. His pirating days were over but he was as sharp as any trained army man. As such, Murdoch tended to be wary of the man.

Yet it had been years since he’d been threatened. The Baron was usually very cold and calculated. Now he’s smoking and growling at the mere mention of that oriental kid?

What was that about?

Before he could even try, someone knocked on the door.

“My lord, your guest is-”

The Baron rushed forward, swinging the door open. The startled maid, Penny, jumped in surprise

“Tell me.” He demanded, staring down at the maid with cold eyes.

See? Murdoch thought, watching the two. This is the Baron I know

Someone scares people just by meeting his eyes. Yet this same guy was so gentle with that kid.

It made the Irishman curious.

“What happened with my guest?”

“Oh, well you told us to inform you when he was finished bathing.” She reported, bowing her head. “I told him to wait while I fetch you but he bumped into some of the… other workers and-”

The Baron moved past her, not hearing another word. Considering the boy’s previous interaction with the man’s workers, it was fair to think he might be getting bullied again. He was a foreigner, after all, so it wouldn’t surprise Murdoch if he was being cornered.

He just couldn’t figure out why the Baron cared this much.

***

The Baron himself didn’t know why he cared.

It was one thing to punish those who tried to lay hands on a helpless person. That was just the right thing to do.

But he felt something different when he saw Kohaku.

It was subtle, like the familiar feeling of an old blanket. Scratchy and old but oh so warm.

It was a feeling the Baron hadn’t felt for a long time.

It wasn’t a feeling the man liked.

What happened back then, while it had been resolved, wasn’t pleasant for him. He didn’t want that feeling again.

That sweet warmth he’d felt then could never make up for the disgusting aftermath.

Yet he still strode through the hall with slightly hurried steps, worried he’d hear the boy crying out for help again.

He had to make sure he was-

A crash rang out, followed by a familiar cry of pain.

His hurried steps turned into a full-blown dash as the nobleman reached the door and swung it open.

“Koha-”

He stopped, staring at the scene before him.

It wasn’t… it was a bit of a sight.

The room he’d burst into was the kitchen. Like many noblemen, it was decorated with everything a household would need. It was large and staffed over a dozen men and women to keep everyone under his care well-fed.

Usually, they were busy at work, as his business required a lot of food to keep things running smoothly.

Today, however, it seemed that there was some conflict happening and his young guest was at the center of it all.

“I-I’m sorry, it was just-” Kohaku tried to explain but looked mildly stunned by the mess. He didn't seem to have noticed the Baron just then, More concerned about picking up the pieces. “It's so different from cups in Japan.”

The Baron sighed, gaining the attention of the maids and Kohaku. They all bowed their heads, greeting their master.

“B-Baron-sama!?” Kohaku called out, looking a bit flustered. He stared at the Baron before realizing he was staring and bowed as well.

This kid…

The Baron strolled across the room until he reached the young man bowing with his forehead to the ground. Was that dogeza? Wasn’t that a bit much?

“Kohaku, get up. There's no need for that.” He assured, shocking the other servants with his gentle tone.

The Baron wasn't sure how his people saw him but apparently not that well if this much courtesy was a shock to them. He was sure they’d be coming to some strange conclusions after this.

Kohaku, his voice small, raised his head. “I-I’m sorry, Baron-sama. I really didn’t know that those cups were so delicate.”

The Baron glanced over to the nearby counter. There was a tea set that was now missing a cup and saucer. That was what was probably dropped before.

“You’ve never used ceramic before?”

“Ceramic.” He repeated, the word clearly new to the foreigner. Kohaku shook his head. “Clay is more durable for long journeys so…”

“What about the stuff imported overseas?”

Kohaku gave him a skeptical look.

“Baron-sama, do you know how expensive imported goods are?! How could someone like me even get close enough to use one?”

Ah, Kohaku wasn’t wealthy enough to use imported items. It was a luxury after all, as imports were well and far between. Even without importation, Kohaku was poor so such things would be a waste of money.

“I see. Then please join me in the dining room. I was expecting you there yet for some reason, I found you here.

“It’s because I came here to work, Baron-sama!” He proclaimed, nervously. “Should I not have come here?”

“No, because you are my guest right now. We will be discussing your employment over dinner.” The Baron declared, turning his back to the young man. He knew Kohaku would protest so he cut him off. “Considering how you were welcomed, it is the least I can do.”

Hearing that, the Baron was sure the young man wouldn’t refuse. Humility or not, the way he’d been attacked before he could even get in the door warranted a proper apology. It would be rude to refuse him when he had no retort.

As expected, Kohaku nodded, still looking flustered.

“W-what about the cups? Will that be deducted from my pay?”

The Baron glanced at the tea set again. The blue rose on the saucers made his chest burn with anger.

“Those were old, so breaking them is of no concern.” He stated, giving the servants a look. They had worked for him long enough to know his implications. “It just means I can throw them away all the sooner.”

“Really?” Kohaku looked doubtful.

“Oh yes, his lordship has been using this set less often as of late.” One maid spoke up, smiling reassuringly.

“The girls who brought this out had just thought they were pretty but we really don’t use this set anymore.” A kitchen staff reassured, a bit shakily as she lied through her teeth.

“I’m so glad we now have a reason to toss them out.” The chef chimed in, nailing the issue with his authoritative tone.

Kohaku let out a breath, looking relieved. That had clearly been weighing on him for a while now.

Murdoch called over the butler to lead Kohaku to the dining room. The Baron let the pair walk ahead, telling the kitchen staff to get rid of the rest of the tea set. The staff moved quickly.

“Wasn’t that a gift from the duchess?” Murdoch asked, noting how willing his partner was to get rid of the set. He had originally assumed the Baron just had a soft spot for the oriental kid but seeing how ruthlessly he stomped on the broken pieces as he passed made it clear that this was something else.

“Then nothing of importance has been lost.”

“Don’t let her hear that or you’ll be in trouble,” Murdoch smirked, just imagining the face of that crone when she found out.

“Who dares trouble me? I dare them to try.”

Murdoch could only watch as the man strode down the hallway like a king. Even in his foreign attire, Murdoch could see him taking over the room with a glance.

He really wasn't one to be troubled by anything. No societal dictates or cultural norms. He wore what he liked, did as he liked and very few could even question him on it.

So far, this Kohaku kid was the only thing to make this man act out of sorts.

Murdoch felt this should be a very interesting dinner.

***

Kohaku walked briskly down with the butler, glancing back at the Baron and the redhead. The two were pretty far behind and were constantly whispering to one another, glancing back at Kohaku, and then continuing with their conversation. He couldn’t hear what was being said, but obviously, Kohaku concluded, it was about him.

He felt nervous anytime he and the Baron’s eyes met.

He hadn’t made the best impression on the man so far. It had been a complete mess. While the incident in the garden wasn’t his fault, the matter of breaking his tea set was entirely his fault. The only reprieve was the fact that the Baron didn’t seem to mind.

Still, Kohaku felt like he was on thin ice now.

Again, he glanced back at the two as they seemed to be in a deep discussion.

What is it that they could be talking about? Kohaku thought. Were they going to turn him down? Was he not fit to work with them with whatever they did?

He shook his head to clear it of such stupid thoughts. Baron-sama would never do that. Kohaku insisted silently. He turned his gaze to his new employer.

Once again, their gazes met and Kohaku felt unsure of what to say.

He opened his mouth to say something but the butler announced their arrival to the dining room. Kohaku, who had been too busy seeking peeks at his would-be employer, hadn’t even noticed. Not wanting to be rude, he thanked the older man and entered the dining room.

The place was as beautiful as the hallway.

A shining candle-lit chandelier (Kohaku learned a lot from his sailor friends, like most of the words that were unfamiliar to his homeland) hovered above them as they two drew near the table. It was a long table with at least a dozen chairs and dishes placed in front of each chair. The center of the table was decorated with glass and marble bowls filled with sweet-smelling twigs, leaves, and flowers.

The Baron and the redhead walked past him, giving him time to marvel at the beauty of the room. The smooth taps of their shoes on the hardwood floor or the ornate fixtures on the walls.

It was such a novel scene for him.

A low cough brought him back to reality, leaving him realizing that he was gaping like a child.

Kohaku sat down and watched as the Baron took his seat. There was a piece of fabric folded in front of him. He shook it from its folds and laid the thing on his lap. Kohaku followed suit, unsure why he had to do so.

Maybe it was a Western thing?

Another Western thing was all the utensils placed in front of him. He knew what they were but had no idea why he needed four kinds of forks and plates.

He’d sailed with a few Europeans but they were lower-class men, so there was only a fork and spoon used, if any. Now he had to figure out the purpose of another dozen?!

As if seeing his panic, the Baron chuckled, surprising both men at the table.

“I will have the cook prepare some Japanese cuisine for the both of us. I have always liked Japanese food anyway.” The Baron reassured, covering his smile with his hand.

The baron had a lot of different faces, Kohaku noticed.

“I didn’t know you like the food of my homeland, Baron-sama. Might I inquire that you have been there?” Kohaku said, feeling the need to speak formally considering the setting. It sounded a bit snooty to his ears but that was the way he had been taught the language.

The Baron once again smiled faintly.

“Well, yes, I have.” He said. “I lived there for a short time as a child until I was thirteen then I returned here”

“Oh, does that mean you can speak Japanese?” The Baron nodded. Kohaku’s smile brightened. In Japanese, he spoke. “What do you think of my homeland? It’s a wonderful place, right? Full of pride and old tales to bedazzle and instill fear in people."

The Baron smiled and, in turn, replied in Japanese. “What I like the most is your country's ghost stories. I believe I was called a demon once or twice.” The Baron gave a short chuckle. “I guess I scared them somehow.”

Knowing that the baron was a feared pirate who terrorized the sea made the Baron's comment so funny, that Kohaku let out a laugh of his own.

“I could see you being mistaken for a yokai but I don’t think you’d be a scary one.” Kohaku proclaimed, remembering how the Baron had saved him before. Fierce against his enemy but kind toward the weak. He might have been a bit cold but his kindness showed through.

“Oh?” He asked, resting his chin on his palm. “Then what would you assume?”

“Hm… Maybe a Komainu or Inari guardian?” He said, thinking hard. “Baron-sama is quite mysterious so it seems you are more like a fox than a dog.”

A strange chill pressed down on the air, surprising Kohaku as he realized how quiet things had gotten. He looked over at the redhead, who was grimacing at him.

“D-did I say something wrong?” He stammered, switching back to English sheepishly. Perhaps being compared to a fox was rude in the West?! It wasn’t a compliment back home either but they seemed to be talking lightly before.

“You didn’t say anything wrong.” The Baron replied, his obscured face turning away from the young man. It felt like a wall that hadn’t been there before was erected between them. “Let us eat.”

The previously cordial atmosphere had fallen through, leaving Kohaku unable to speak up.

Had he made a mistake again?!

0