Hot Potato
344 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

" Such greed in your eyes. I would expect nothing from a human." said the elf as she looked at Jason smiling face.

"Uhuh....yeah..... you are completely right. " answered Jason absentmindedly. His mind was imagining all the things he could buy, but surprisingly they were not luxury things by 21 century Earth standards. He was imagining soft white bread, pizza, pizza , running water and most importantly soap and toilet paper.

"Gugh....fuck....

Suddenly Jason remembered something disgusting, but normal on this world. The time he unfortunately grabbed the wrong end of the shit stick when he went to relieve himself one late night. Beside him dying , that was his most traumatic experience , a very shitty one at that.

In the meantime the elf was staring Jason as his face went from extreme happiness to complete disgust in less than a second. ' Humans are such strange creatures. They are so close to us in apperance and built, but so different in though. 

I wonder what's going through this humans mind?'

Suddenly Jason remembered something and raised his head, his face full of expectation."You want the Spirit Nexus , but you don't have the money, is that right?" 

"Certainly!" nodded the elf "A Spirit Nexus is something very desirable, but unfortunately I don't have the money to by it from you."

"Hehe....then how about we do it this way? You can pay me a part of the price of the Spirit Nexus now, and the rest you can pay eventually. 

Huh, how does that sound?"

"That....is possible....

Still, even if I do that , it's going to be hard to do as you say. Even though the Spirit Nexus is valuable, the purchase of something like that by Grail Grove may create tension.  I doubt the the elders will risk conflict , even for a Spirit Nexus."

Jason looked disappointed by the answer , but decided to still try. " Isn't there another way?  I really want to sell this Spirit Nexus! I have seen hobgoblins die trying to only take it from the ground. I can't go around, taking everywhere with me."

"You're right, but what is this about a hobgoblin? Didn't you take it out of the ground?" said the elf with a little confused look on her face.

" Well, I sort of got it from the ground, but the one who dug it from the ground was a hobgoblin."

"A hobgoblin? 

Are you saying you killed a hobgoblin? Impossible, a Farmer can't kill a hobgoblin, especially one in the forest."

 Jason saw the disbelief on her face and frowned. ' Is a Farmer class so weak that there is no chance of defeating a hobgoblin? I can clearly feel the judgement....

" Well, in fact, I didn't really defeat it. When it was digging for the Spirit Nexus  a cloud of pollen came from the hole it was, and when it disappeared the hobgoblin was out cold.

I just had to stab it's heart.....

Jason stoped as he noticed the elf was breathing hard. Her chest moving rapidly up and down was something he definitely noticed. Her face was also a little red and her ears stood up.

"Haah haah.... you're really telling the truth?! It's impossible..... something like that is impossible!"

Jason saw the expression of the elf and became a little mad. ' Is a Farmer really so heavily underestimated?!'

"You....

Suddenly she grabbed his head and brought it violently forward. She then stared intently at his eyes, making Jason a little unnerved.

"What are you doing?!" 

".......

Impossible! It's.....haah haah.....

"Okay, okay I get it! A Farmer can't beat a hobgoblin, so can you let go of my head now? I'm still injured you know." said Jason trying as hard as not to sound to irritated.

"You....

"What? Is something wrong?"

The elf didn't answer and finally released Jason head and closed her eyes. Her breathing was till ragged though as it wasn't improving.  After a while in total silence the elf opened her eyes and sat down on the chair next to the bed.

"I don't know if you're lucky or unlucky. If what you said was true then....

"Then what?" said  Jason worriedly seeing the change in behavior of the elf. From calm and collected the she was before , he could see the pure excitement and surprise on her face.

" I think it's better to explain to you what a Spirit Nexus is . Then you'll understand...."

Jason swallowed his saliva that had collected and opened his ears wide , hearing what the elf had to say.

" In this world, there exist many miraculous plants and animals that are sought after. Those things are very precious and so  rare that they can only be afforded by noble's or high ranking adventures.These materials are worth a lot of money in their own , but in the hands of an Alchemist , they can truly shine.

The Spirit Nexus is one such material, very precious and very dangerous to acquire."

*Babum Babum*

As he heard the elf's words his heartbeat went up and he could clearly hear it echoing. ' This.....

" As many other material such as the Spirit Nexus, it is protected by something, the Atakke mushroom , a week but very dangerous monster. It usually sleeps underground and doesn't come out, unless it senses a creature weak enough. " said the elf while looking at Jason up and down, before continuing to explain.

".......

It then comes attacking the target with all it's might, and dies at it's hands, but that is it's plan. It may die, but as soon as  it's close enough to the target it spray's large quantities of its pollen all around , infecting the target.  The pollen enters the target's body, rendering it unconscious in mere seconds before starting to change it from the inside. The spores develop quickly , consuming the target's body and turning it into nutrition, while in the meantime, by using the same spore's, the Atakke Mushroom revives itself.

It then goes back to the hole, feeding the Spirit Nexus and continues this cycle over and over again."

As he heard those words Jason's face began to contort. He didn't want to become mushroom food.Jason stared at his body , then the elf and he panicked. Fortunately his skill cooled him right of , making him think straight again.

 "Am I going to die?"

"No, you are fine!" the elf cut him of. " I don't know how , but you have managed to survive, and there isn't any danger of you having any complications from the pollen. "

As he heard those words Jason finally calmed down. As someone who had died before he wasn't that afraid of dying, but more of how he died.

"Whew.... that's good to hear.  I thought I was going to die, something which I have begun to think often." said Jason isln a joking way. The elf though wasn't amused  by his joke.

"You won't die , but I didn't finish my explanation.

Once in 150 years, the Spirit Nexus is mature enough and it begins to split. During this time it gains some conciousness and it's appetite greatly increased as it begins to store more energy for the split. "

The elf raised her right hand and opened  it before Jason's face.

" Five times....

Five is the number of mature Spirit Nexuse's that were in the process of splitting to be acquired by the Grail Grove during it's 2300 year rain. That's how rare is the Spirit Nexus you have acquired. It's purity and it's energy makes it an item wars are fought after."

Jason looked at the serious expression of the elf and drew a deep breath. The refreshing air filled his lungs, but he didn't feel good at all. It seemed that luck was a double-edged blade.

"I'm fucked aren't I?" said Jason as he massaged his throbbing temple's.

"Goblin fucked..... you certainly are." answered the elf seriously.

16