Chapter 14: Librarian
2.2k 1 78
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I didn't want to give up on [Tail of Poison Empress] so soon. It was annoying to have to constantly focus on what my tail was doing. It was tiring, requiring a lot of concentration, but at least it made me focus more on my surroundings than ever before. Hone my reactions to other people's movements. Right now, I was trying to avoid contact with them so as not to poison them. However, I was sure that it would be useful for me to avoid beasts' attacks in the labyrinth.

When I finally got through the people in the main hall to the counter, I was more sweaty than when I tested the weapons on the training dummy.

I handed the written confirmation from Nila Tenderfire to the receptionist along with 50 coppers.

"Were you happy with the trainer?" The receptionist asked me as she looked at the confirmation I gave her.

I hesitated. "I have a lot to think about. I expected more, but I don't think it is the Tenderfire's fault. I just don't know where to start."

"Try it where everyone else does, in the library," she suggested.

Right now, I wanted to slap myself.

"Pffff..." I spat hair out of my mouth when I really got slapped. But it wasn't my hand slapping me or anyone else. It was my tail. The bastard was doing what he wanted again. But I deserved the slap. Why didn't I think of that before? The library was full of information. There was no internet or wiki on Eleaden. The system didn't work that way, so the only place where the information was stored was in the books. Where were the books kept? In libraries where dust fell on them.

"And where can I find a library in Castiana?" I asked the grinning receptionist.

"On the other side of Imperial Square," She pointed to the front door, after that she checked the book, the cash I gave her and added. "All right, you paid for the training. Everything is in order."

I was glad to hear that, but I had one more question. Before I asked, however, I checked the desk, along with the receptionist's uniform, for a label with her name that I could have missed before. It relieved me not to see it anywhere. That meant that I had not missed her name tag at previous meetings, and it was not the reason for my ignorance of her name. It didn't change the fact that I should ask her, and I was going to change that.

"I'm sorry if it's rude, but is your name Enola?" I asked her.

The receptionist chuckled. "Yes, my name is Enola. It's not a secret, but I wonder where you heard it. "

"The fat man at the training rooms mentioned it when I refused to pay him and referred to you," I told the truth.

"Ah," she nodded understandingly. "Sean, if I knew he would be there today, I would have warned you. He was already complaining about me, but don't worry. You don't have to pay anything. Even though I heard the gas was quite toxic."

"I'm sorry," I said with my ears down.

"You don't have to. You have nothing to apologize for. Sean is just a spoiled idiot who should be fired," the receptionist told me, but then winked at me. "Don't say I told you."

"You don't have to worry," I said, sighing. "I don't even know who to tell."

It was sad, but I didn't have anyone I could call a friend in this world. The truth was, I didn't know if I was still able to trust someone enough to call him or her a friend. It was something I didn't like to admit, but I was afraid to talk to people. More precisely, to be in their presence. I was scared they would hurt me, that thanks to them, I will end up as a slave again.

Of course, it was only a few days after I regained my freedom. I couldn't expect, nor did I expect, to return to everyday life anytime soon. But I didn't want to live in fear for the rest of my life. That's why I was now in this entrance hall full of strangers, talking to a girl I barely knew, even though my heart was clenched in fear. It wasn't pleasant, but it could have been worse if my emotions were not suppressed by [Indomitable Will]. I was grateful for this skill because it allowed me to function like a normal person, a bit.

"Miss Grey," Enola addressed me.

I looked at her. "Yes?"

"You seemed a little lost in thoughts," she said.

I took a breath. "Sorry about that."

"It's okay. Anyway, do you want to book some training for tomorrow? It's better if you do it today, or even better, a few days in advance. That is, if you want to set the time yourself," said Enola.

I shook my head with a sigh. "No, I have to think about it, thank you."

I couldn't afford to spend money on something I wasn't entirely sure about. I thanked Enola and headed for the library. I just wanted to take a peek because I didn't have time for more. They expected me at Broken Heart at noon, and I wanted to have lunch before the shift.

The library took my breath away. It wasn't its size, which was neither small nor too big, neither the style that resembled Hogwarts' library. What took my breath away was the silence that was in there. Even with no skill, my hearing was very sensitive. Thanks to the sails I had instead of ears, I heard every unpleasant sound there was in the cellar where that freak kept me. Castiana was full of noise too, and this was the first place that was an oasis of silence.

"I have seen no one enter my library with such astonishment on their faces for a long time," the man said to me.

I immediately looked at the old man sitting in the leather chair with the book in his hand. An old man with a long gray beard, glasses on his nose, and a very pleasant look was smiling at me. The man carefully placed a bookmark between the pages he was reading, closed the book, and set it down on the table beside the chair. When I wanted to help him get up from his chair, he stopped me.

"I don't have the levels to cheat death, but I'm not yet old enough to need help from a girl as lovely as you," he said as he stood up and straightened. "I've been sitting too long, sometimes I get too immersed in books and lose track of time. I'm Librarian Alfred Sandoval. What can I do for you, miss?"

I didn't have much time, so I intended to visit the library only briefly. See what it looks like or what information I would have access to there. I didn't want to bother the old man who read the books here in peace. Thanks to that, I felt bad now.

[Librarian: lvl 71]

I took a peek at the librarian, not surprised by his class. Mr. Sandoval smiled warmly, knowing that I was looking at his class.

"Hello, Mr. Sandoval. My name is Korra Grey. As you can see, my class is [Slave]. My…" I stopped because the word was disgusting to me. "..former master...wasn't very kind. My knowledge of this world is…" I stopped again, thinking about how to say I know nothing about it. "…is inadequate. I was hoping I could learn more here."

Mr. Sandoval nodded. "Well-mannered, it is rarely seen nowadays. I'm sorry about what happened to you, miss. I don't intend to say that I know what happened to you, but in my opinion, no one who is [Slave] deserved this class. Everyone should have the right to choose who they want to be, even though sixteen years is, in my opinion, too early to have a clear idea about our future life. Ah ... I'm sorry for my rambling, so you're looking for a book, something specific?"

"No," I shook my head. "I wanted to see what the library looked like, find out what information I would have access to in the library, whether I could read the books here, or I had to buy them. Is it possible to borrow them for a fee?"

"Interesting thought," the librarian smiled as he rubbed his beard. "I would never lend books in the library to anyone, not even for a fee. Most people do not have due respect for them. Books would return to me, destroyed. If you want to buy them, I have no problem with that. I don't care how you handle your book anymore, but if you're just looking for information, you're welcome to look at any book in this library. Find an armchair like this…" he pointed to the armchair he was sitting in before I arrived. "… Sit back and read. I won't want anything from you. There are only two conditions that I require compliance with. Approach books with love, some books here are quite old and fragile. I will know about any damage immediately." He warned me.

I was sure he must have had some skill to do it.

"The second condition is silence. There must be silence in the library."

I smiled and pointed to my ears. "You don't even know how much I love the quiet here. These ears in the city are just a nuisance."

"I saw how you fell in love with my library as soon as you entered. Your expression, the way your ears lowered, the wings you dropped to your tights in amazement, the tail that fell dead to the ground, and your open mouth were things I couldn't overlook." Mr. Sandoval described my arrival at the library, hiding a smile behind his beard.

I felt embarrassed by it. On Earth, I was used to hiding my emotions, suppressing them if possible. Not that I didn't rejoice or cry, but when you went to the exam or for the interview, you tried to look professional. It wasn't easy, but I had control over my emotions and body most of the time. Now my body, especially my tail, kept betraying me.

"You don't have to feel embarrassed about it," said the librarian in my defense, which had the exact opposite effect. "It warms my heart every time someone can appreciate my library, especially if they do it the way you do, miss."

"…" I nodded silently.

The librarian smiled. "So what would you like to know? What book would you like to read?"

"I don't know," I thought for a moment. "I'm not looking for a specific book, but rather information, for example, about classes and skills. I feel that others know more about [Slave] and its class's skills more than I do. What about other classes? Is there absolutely no way to change mine? I don't know precisely how the system works. What is it? Aren't I in danger of some brain damage because of it? I wouldn't want to end up as an idiot just because I used it the wrong way. I just don't know where to start." I blur out my thoughts at Mr. Sandoval.

He laughed, "I've never heard of anyone suffering brain damage from using a system. That way, you won't become an idiot, miss. Most of the idiots are to blame for the education and the environment in which they grew up."

"Oh, okay," I nodded in surprise.

I didn't expect the librarian to answer that.

"As for other classes and skills, I can recommend some books. I'm afraid that only the most common are documented. Most people keep their skills close to their hearts and don't like to share information about them."

I nodded. "I thought so."

"I will not say that I know the contents of all the books in the library or that I have read each of them. That would be absurd, even with my skills. However, I have extensive knowledge and will be happy to share it with you. You know, miss, the problem of old people is that they have a lot of knowledge that they would like to share, but no one wants to listen to them," said Sandoval.

I had to smile. It reminded me of my grandfather. When I was still living with my parents, I often did some DIY in the small workshop my father had in the garage. My grandfather frequently attempted to advise me, even though I didn't want him to. It was annoying, but I knew he was trying to spend time with his granddaughter while he could.

I missed him.

"I'd love to hear what's on your mind," I said.

"I don't intend to tell you about my life, but if you have a question, don't be afraid to ask me. I'll try my best to answer it, or I'll refer you to the appropriate book. The library is not a busy place, and even though I like my peace, it is pleasant from time to time to talk to someone," said Mr. Sandoval and ran his fingers over the spines of the books on the bookshelf.

I thought before I asked. "All right, I..."

"You asked if it was impossible to change your class," the librarian interrupted. However, I was very interested in what he said.

"Yes?" I asked with hope in my voice.

"I am afraid that, to the best of my knowledge, is not possible. I think this free choice was denied to you by a slave collar, but believe me, you are not the only one who regrets what class they have. I would say that one in five people is satisfied with their choice. The rest regret their choice at some point in their lives and would choose differently over time, but most will come to terms with it and learn to live with what they have. However, there are always a few who do not learn to live with their class. Their hatred often leads them to crime because the only way to change their class is to reach the level of a hundred."

"Nani?" I asked in a high-pitched voice.

That I asked in the language in which I was watching my favorite anime didn't mean I speak Japanese. I had no talent for languages, and I honestly dreaded the time I started studying Eleaden Standard. However, I was satisfied that I could distinguish some Asian languages ​​from each other, but what they talked about was beyond me. Here and there, I learned a word, but that was the pinnacle of my knowledge.

"Interesting," the librarian rubbed his beard. "One of my skills allows me to speak many languages, and even though I know what you said, it's not a language I've ever heard."

"Hahaha…." I laughed nervously and scratched the back of my neck.

"I'd like to hear more, but back to your interesting question. It seems that even though it is common knowledge at my discretion, you do not know that reaching the level of a hundred is a big milestone. At that moment, you will be given a choice by the system to evolve your class or change it," said the librarian casually.

For me, however, it was a piece of information that turned my world upside down. I was only eight levels away from being able to get rid of another hated reminder of what I had to go through. Although I escaped my captivity and did not have a collar around my neck, those who looked at me still saw what I used to be, what I was. [Slave].

"So when I reach level one hundred, I'll be able to change my class?" I asked, making sure I heard correctly. "How does it work? Will I start from the beginning?"

I asked one question after another. I could barely control my excitement, especially as I tried to keep my tail from happily sweeping the floor.

Until I was sure that my poison was not transmitted by touch, I did not want to touch anything with my tail.

"I don't want to disappoint you, but it's not that simple. Yes, after reaching that level you can choose another class, you can become [Librarian] like me, but it's not like you will start from the beginning as when you were sixteen.

"I'll tell you first how evolution works, what it means to reach the level of one hundred. Because as you've probably found out that gaining levels is getting harder and harder. I honestly can't imagine what you had to go through to reach the level you have, but you're not here to listen to the librarian feel sorry for you.

"Evolution is a milestone you have achieved, a tremendous success that many are celebrating wildly. It is a reward for what you have accomplished. You can think of evolution as a crossroads along the way. You can choose which direction to go and continue on your path. You don't start a new journey, but you continue the one you started. Therefore, after reaching this milestone, getting to the next level is even more challenging than before. At least they say so. I can't speak from personal experience.

"Which evolutions you have to choose from depends on you. You will definitely be able to choose from two to three basic evolutions that each class has. But if you have achieved something exceptional, you can also have a unique class to choose from," the librarian explained to me.

I nodded, yet I couldn't help but ask. "What is exceptional?"

"Hmm… for example, when [Warrior] miraculously kills a dragon, he will be able to choose a class like [Dragonknight] or [Dragonkiller] instead of evolution on [Knight]. It's very simplistic. Not that something like that would ever happen.

“However, it is not a condition that you have to kill some terrible beast to get an interesting evolution.

"Sometimes, it is enough if you are good at what you do. Suppose I take the aforementioned [Warrior] as an example if he is good at singing, for example. In that case, the system can offer him an evolution to the [Singing Warrior]. Don’t laugh! That indeed happened, and not just once.

"The evolution of your class will strengthen it. It can be a general bonus where nothing fundamental will change, your skills will strengthen, new ones will be added. You will be able to use eight skills instead of the current six and ten general skills instead of eight." Mr. Sandoval said, clearing his throat.

"Okay," I nodded, excited by the influx of information like a small child unwrapping presents under a Christmas tree. I didn't even bother to restrain my joy when I asked, "What about the other evolutions?"

78