Chapter 155: Duchess
1.1k 6 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Enjoy!

If I were in Lightfeather’s shoes, I’d be just as baffled by my somewhat casual behavior, considering what happened. To her, the events in Esulmor were something straight out of legends. Creatures of immense power never seen on this continent, whose mere presence could influence the course of human history. The revelation that Eleaden was not the only realm in the vast universe and even hosted many visitors from others already.

Certainly, if I found out that the gal I had so far considered just an ordinary woman was, in fact, an alien, I would think twice about how to approach her, especially after another alien established a link with her.

If you looked at it that way, my life right now looked like something straight out of a sci-fi horror flick. That’s why I was so glad that she was willing to have a conversation with me at all, that she was trying to get her head around it instead of refusing to have anything to do with me. It gave me at least some sense of normalcy.

We drove like that for a while, making small talk, until the voice of the Imperial Chief Healer reached my ears. “Miss Grey, may I have a moment of your time?”

“Go...” Lightfeather told me when she saw me hesitate. After she told me what Lord Wigram was musing about, it was no wonder I was reluctant. I had little interest in becoming a member of the Sahal nobility. However, at her urging, I spurred Whisper forward. 

“My lord?” I asked as I matched speed with the carriage. Lord Wigram sat on that driver’s bench along with the coachman.

He raised an eyebrow at my cautious approach, but made no further inquiry. Instead, he asked a question I didn’t quite expect. “Do you remember what I told you when we went to Esulmor?”

Did I? “I’m not quite sure what you’re referring to?”

“I asked you to stay out of trouble. Honestly, I don’t know who’s worse, you or your mentor?”

Wait. Did he...? How could any of that be my fault?! His accusation got me pretty riled up. However, I reined in my inner voice. “It’s not that I wanted any of that to happen. You know that, right my lord?”

The Imperial Chief Healer raised his hand to stop me from saying more. “My apologies if it came across that way, but my words weren’t meant as an accusation. I didn’t think for a moment that you could be behind the attack of beasts and northern eagles, let alone know about the World Tree in the middle of Esulmor. However, you cannot deny that trouble seems to follow you wherever you go. Again, I’m not accusing you of anything, Miss Grey. Just stating how things are or seem to be.”

“Okay?” I said, puzzled. Where the hell was the old man going with that?

“If anything, I would commend your courage. Coming face to face with a beast like Esudein was a nerve-wracking experience, even for someone like me. So don’t be too surprised if I find myself baffled by you treating him like... I’ll refrain from saying fatherly figure, but very familiarly. On top of that, you dared to argue with Miros. Zeewet isn’t exactly your everyday beast found on the first floor of the labyrinth either,” he said and paused, taking a deep breath. “...and on top of that, you befriended a World Tree...forgive my language, but a darn World Tree, Miss Grey.”

Wow, that was unexpected of him.

“What was I supposed to do? Zeewet insisted Esudein do something when Idleaf started to fall back to sleep and asked me,” I said, sounding perhaps a little too defensive. “Should I have refused? Would you refuse in my place, my lord? What about you, sir?”

Lord Wigram, like me, looked at the coachman. Although in uniform like the others, he wasn’t a soldier. Armies also needed men like him, like Lightfeather, support that handled communications, logistics, and so on.

[Coach Driver: lvl 234]

The man scratched the back of his head nervously. “I’d shit my pants, ma’am.”

“Not the way I would put it...” the Imperial Chief Healer remarked, nodding nonetheless. “Quite apt, though. Would I say no...? I would have tried to decline politely.”

“I did.” Though perhaps not politely.

“I know.”

“So, what did I do wrong?”

He chuckled. “Miss Grey, again, I apologize if that sounded like a criticism of your actions. It’s true that you didn’t act the way I, or most reasonable people, would, but as a result, things have taken a rather unexpected turn.”

“You mean me being named Guardian of Idleaf?

“Yes, mainly, among other things, Miss Grey,” the Imperial Chief Healer said, making it clear that it wasn’t just that. “You see, Zeewet was here with the northern eagles to prevent us from dealing with Esudein and worse, not just of their own volition. As it turns out, at the instigation of the mind mages. They wanted to wedge discord between Sahal and Esulmor. The very fact that they are capable of doing so in the territory of the Empire is extremely troubling.”

“They failed, though.”

“Thanks to you.”

“Me? You negotiated the accord, my lord.”

“But the mossbears came for you. It was your relationship with them and with Esudein that made it possible to save the lives of so many.”

“But, I didn’t sav-e...really?” Colonel Gill’s unit did most of the work when they faced down the beast horde, not me.

Lord Wigram smiled, amused. “You’re giving yourself too little credit. Why do you think Esudein invited us to the World Tree? Why did he allow us to see a place he kept hidden for centuries? Sahal Empire boasts a good Intelligence Service, yet we had no idea until now.”

Well, I had some doubts about the competence of their whole Intelligence Service and agents. After all, they had no idea about the mind mages at the heart of their precious empire. Not what we were talking about, though. I knew what he was getting at. 

“Idleaf was intrigued by me, and Esudein knew that.”

“That’s right, Miss Grey. Again, it was you in particular who made it possible for us to visit the heart of Esulmor and see what no human ever has before.”

“Surely, there must have been someone who saw the other World Trees,” I argued in a feeble attempt to not let all the blame fall on me.

“Maybe, but if so, it’s lost to history. As far as I know, the elves haven’t let anyone in for millennia,” he said and chuckled. “Can you imagine? For millennia, you have been trying to grow and awaken another World Tree. You dedicate your life to it, yet one failure follows another...and then, unbeknownst to you, one awakens. Here , in the middle of the human realm, in the heart of a beast-dominated forest....they must be quite shocked.”

Yeah, I kind of wish they didn’t know about Idleaf. From what I gather, the elves weren’t a fun bunch to be around.

“They’re not the only ones who know about her, though,” I pointed out.

“Quite true. We don’t know how far her waking cry reached. Unfortunately, in Esulmor it was difficult to communicate with anyone without endangering ourselves. For all we know, the Empire could be in quite an uproar.”

“You seem rather calm about it...”

“Given the circumstances, that’s the least of the problems. We did what we could, sent messages and messengers as soon as we left Esulmor. The rest is up to those who receive and listen to them,” he said, smiling at me. “They will hear about your success soon if they haven’t already, Miss Grey.”

“Wait, wait...you sent messages talking about me?”

The Imperial Chief Healer chuckled at my reaction. “No, I’m not so thoughtless. Just about what you’ve accomplished, about the World Tree awakening in Esulmor.”

“Not about the part where I became her Guardian?”

“We will have to communicate that through more secure channels.”

“But you will tell...others.”

“While I understand your concern, I’m afraid it’s not a secret you can keep to yourself. I’m sure you understand the consequences of what you’ve become.”

“A bigger target than ever before?”

“Glad to see you’re still as bright as ever.”

“Why not keep it a secret, then?”

“I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the saying: two can keep a secret if one of them is dead?”

“You say you can’t keep your soldiers from talking?” It came out of my mouth a little more offensive than I intended. Despite my worries, Lord Wigram calmly shook his head. “It’s not the imperial soldiers I’m talking about.”

“Oh...oh, I see. Mind Mages”

“Right. Mossbears and northern eagles were not the only ones who witnessed your naming. In those woods live far more creatures from which mind mages can extract information...even if it’s just fragments, enough of them can give a complete picture.”

“So, the same issue the elves have.”

“Ironic, isn’t it? I warned Esudein, and the Empire will do its best to prevent them from reaching Esulmor...we might even catch some. However, it’s not just that. Even your current appearance is quite a giveaway. At the very least, it may raise questions.”

Checking myself in my domain, I had to agree with him. My eyes, as well as the tattoos, though they glowed less and less ever since we left Esulmor, were still hard to miss. Even if their glow disappeared completely in time before we reached Castiana, which I believed it would, the runes still looked like they would remain visible. I mean, they barely glowed already and looked more like a dark purple tattoo on my body than the cool LED backlight built into my skin and yet were pretty eye-catching, anyway. 

Well, one of the smaller runes was right under my left eye, so...

That aside, there was the question of when they would light up again.

Of course, I’ve done my best to figure out how to control the trick during my ride. Unsuccessfully so far, though.

“So, you’re saying why to try to hide it when it’s impossible?”

“It’s the best way I can see, Miss Grey,” Lord Wigram said solemnly, clearly still thinking about the issue. “Of course, if you insist, I will do my best to respect your decision and keep your identity unknown. However, I don’t see this as a viable long-term option.”

Yeah, it was pretty much a given that it would get out at some point, no matter what. So what should I do? Giving a glance back to Esulmor, I smiled to myself. “You remember how Idleaf wanted her Guardians to announce their names?”

“How could I forget, quite a moment...”

“I don’t think she’d like me hiding who I am from the others.”

The Imperial Chief Healer paused, thinking. “Interesting. A perspective I hadn’t considered. Though, I have to agree with you. She seemed quite proud of her Guardians, quite fond of you, actually.”

“Not sure why...”

“You helped wake her up, shared your heart with her. I must say, it was quite a moving moment.”

That was pretty embarrassing to hear, even more so when I thought of how many people heard me there pouring my heart out and begging Idleaf to wake up.

“I had no idea it would lead to me becoming a Guardian.”

“I don’t think any of us could have fathomed that,” he said, motioning around to the column of soldiers. “Imagine my horror when it looked like you were going to refuse.”

“You wanted me to become a Guardian?” I asked, baffled a little. “Isn’t that the trouble you told me to stay away from?

Lord Wigram laughed. “It sure is. I’m glad you weren’t listening, though.”

“Seriously?”

“As I said, it wasn’t a criticism, just an observation.”

“If you say so.” I wasn’t sure about that. It sounded like a criticism to me.

He gave me a knowing smile, but didn’t dwell on it any further. “You see, having a World Tree in your territory is one thing, but having a Tree Guardian from your ranks is another. Actually, the reason I wanted to have this conversation with you before we arrive in Castiana, and why I went with you through what you did. I want you to understand the implications of you becoming a Guardian, Miss Grey.”

When he paused to take a breath, I waited, unsure of what to say.

“The Guardians have a prominent position among the elves, and the same goes for the beasts. You have witnessed for yourself the respect with which they treat them...and you. The problem is, there’s never been a human Guardian, and so, as you can see, people struggle with how to take you.”

Ah, that’s why Lightfeather wanted to equate me with the ladies she knew. It made it easier for her to categorize me and adjust her behavior accordingly.

“My strength is a problem too, isn’t it?”

The Imperial Chief Healer nodded. “When you meet someone, the first thing you see is their class followed by their level. You immediately know where you stand relative to them and how to treat them. It can go so far that the person in question may not be worth a glance, or you dare not oppose any of their whims.”

The part I didn’t like about the system. On the other hand, it wasn’t much different from the gap between the rich and poor, the powerful and the helpless.

“Forgive my rudeness, Miss Grey. You’ve been there yourself. But add to that the fact that you’re a Guardian, and you have confused people like Sergeant here,” he said towards the coachman. “You’re half his level, but he is scared to death to make the wrong move, knowing what beasts and creatures are behind you. Or am I wrong, Sergeant?”

“Not at all, my lord. Not at all...”

“And he saw what he can piss off if he treats you wrong. Now take people who haven’t even heard of World Trees and tell them you’re a Guardian for one. Surely, they will be confused and ask themselves what it means, whether they should bow to you or shake your hand.” 

“What are you getting at?” I asked, knowing full well, thanks to Lightfeather, his line of thought.

Lord Wigram stroked his beard, pausing for a moment as if still considering whether to say it to me or not. “I’ll be frank. It would make many things much easier if you had a title of nobility, Miss Grey.”

Even though I knew what was coming, it took my breath away. Me, part of the nobility? While it would make my childhood dreams of becoming a princess come true to some extent, the idea was simply ridiculous. Not to mention it would tie me to the Empire more than I liked. The main point of my apprenticeship with Deckard was to prevent that from happening. 

“I’m glad some things have stayed the same,” Lord Wigram remarked about my body language, which easily betrayed to him my dislike of the suggestion. “While the Emperor would certainly like to see you bound to the Empire, there will be those who will not want to see that. You see, newcomers to the ranks of the nobility are few and far between, as well as advance through the ranks of the peerage. There is a lot of opposition to any of that sort.”

Okay, I’ll bite. “Why?”

“Power, money, take your pick. A new Baron will rise to your ranks, meaning you will share the budget with another. Just the mere fact that the Emperor recognizes your deeds threatens the balance of power.”

“Not a very good sales pitch. Sounds like something I should definitely stay away from.”

Unexpectedly, he nodded. “You should.”

Now I was confused. “Didn’t you say...?”

“I know what I said,” Lord Wigram said, stopping me. “Doesn’t mean I don’t see that it’s not for you. No offense, but I don’t think you’d do well among the nobility.”

Although harsh, I had to agree with him. I couldn’t imagine myself bickering with the other lords and ladies. Politics was never my thing.

“Is there no other way? Is that even necessary?” Being a lady of whatever rank was less and less appealing to me.

“You certainly are different,” he said, chuckling. “Most people would jump at the chance to get a noble title. Is it because of where you grew up, I wonder? Anyway, a topic I would like to discuss with you later and in a more appropriate place.” 

“Now for your question. Yes, I see the necessity to define your status, and yes, there are other options. Actually, two that I could see as viable without you having to become part of the inner Sahal nobility. Honorary noble is one. It’s an old custom, long fallen out of use. You would become a lady in title only but with no claim to property or power. You would enjoy only the honors and status that come with the title.”

“And the other option?”

“Ah, I see you’re not fond of this one either.”

“I still feel like it would tie me more to the Empire. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know how this Guardian thing is supposed to work, but I think Idleaf should be my primary concern, not Sahal.” The World Tree should be a good enough excuse to get me out of this political mess, right?

“Absolutely. However, be prepared that there will be those who will seek to manipulate Idleaf through you.”

Yeah, something I was aware of myself and not what I was looking forward to.

“All the more reason not to accept the title, don’t you think?” I asked back with a sigh. “So...the last option?”

He showed no outrage at my disregard for the noble title, as if he expected it. “A similar arrangement to my Imperial Chief Healer status, which is on par with Duke. You could say it’s the more modern equivalent of an honorary noble, where the rest of the nobility aren’t pissed off with my status.”

“Because it makes it clear you’re not part of the peerage?”

Lord Wigram smiled, pleased that I understood quickly. “Believe it or not, I come from a poor background, and where I am, I got by virtue of my strength and ability, not because of who I was born to. I’m not noble, Miss Grey. My children have no title to inherit from me. Yet, I hold a position at the Duke’s level, albeit with limited authority.”

“It still sounds to me like it would tie me to Sahal,” I argued again.

“Well, while my position as Imperial Chief Healer is tied to the Empire, yours doesn’t have to be. What I’m thinking about is not giving you another title but clarifying where a Guardian like you stands.”

“As in, whether that puts me on the level of a Duke like you?”

“Duchess, if I may say so,” Lord Wigram said, amused. “Sadly, that decision is not mine to make. Should it be the Emperor’s will, he could put you on the level of the Grand Duchess, a rank above me. If the nobles have their say in this, I fear they will try in their stupidity to limit the position of the Guardians. They are more than likely to insist on the marchioness rank and lower if possible. Margravine, countess, or even viscountess.”

The fact that I was never really interested in the nobility made this very confusing for me. “As long as it doesn’t restrict me.”

“Even though it’s just a matter of clarifying where you as a Guardian stand, you really don’t care? Shouldn’t you represent Idleaf the best you can? To make sure humans don’t mistreat her Guardian?”

Fuck, I should, shouldn’t I? I could hardly earn the respect of the people with my current power, and it was not a matter of days before I achieved one befitting my status as a Guardian. Sadly, Lord Wigram’s solution seemed the only one feasible at the current time.

“Don’t fret Miss Grey. It’s not a decision I want to hear the answer to now,” said the Imperial Chief Healer, seeing my train of thought. I needed to discuss this with Deckard, possibly Rayden, and certainly Idleaf.

“As I mentioned, it’s not something I can decide myself, not to mention only the Emperor can bestow titles of nobility.”

Clenching my fists, I had to hold myself back from saying something I’d regret. Why the hell didn’t he say that sooner? Channeling my inner peace, I took a breath. “So I have time to think about it?”

“Indeed, Miss Grey. A few weeks, at least. Decisions regarding peerage take time.”

“Weeks?”

“Oh, you thought...? Apologies. I should have said that first.”

The hell he should!

61