Interlude I
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A long time ago.

“You’re getting older Carsian, It’s finally time.” The voice that Carsian had long ago accepted as his own, told him.

How long had that voice been with him?

Carsian could barely remember a time without it. It had been a constant in his life for almost as long as he could remember.

But to be fair, he had lived a long life.

A really long life.

Maybe it had come to him during his twenties?

Who knew? That had been nearly eighty years ago. Was he really almost one hundred already? Had time passed that quickly?

Carsian barely felt older than sixty. His mind was still as sharp as it had ever been. His magic, guided by the voice that had been his constant companion, had led him to the great depths of the supernatural.

There had never been a mage as powerful as him in history.

He was almost like a god compared to the rest of the fools who thought that they knew all there was to know about magic.

They knew nothing.

There never had been a mage as powerful as him and there never would be one again. Carsian had made sure of that during the first years after his ascension.

He had killed the other mages. He hadn’t wiped them out completely, no, that would be foolish, the voice had told him so. It had told him that he needed them.

But it had also told him to kill all his peers.

He had listened to that comforting sweet tone though. He had never been led wrong by it. The voice had taken him from an unknown and unremarkable ambitious young man, to what he was now.

The ruler of an empire.

The voice told him that if he listened, he could hold power for countless lifetimes.

It had taught him, molded him. He had followed it for a lifetime. He had brought his empire to ruins under its command. And he knew he would do so countless times again, he loved the voice.

It had made him great.

“We’re finally full. We have enough power, it’s time.”

That scared Carsian. He had prepared for this moment for decades but it still terrified him. He thought he had banished fear from his mind years ago. Why was he scared now? He had everything he needed. He had a new host. He would have a new, fresh body. No longer would he have to tolerate these old bones that disobeyed his commands. He would be new. He would take on a young, beautiful form. What was there to fear?

Nothing.

Right?

But still Carsian couldn’t banish the terror as the time approached. What if he truly died during the process? He knew he would lose his old shell, but could he truly believe that he would be reborn?

“Yes. You can.” That voice again. Ever so sweet. Ever so seductive. It knew his heart. It held power.

It gave him power.

Carsian would listen. He knew the magic. His command of it was unprecedented. Never before in history had there been one such as him. His power extended beyond the greatest imaginations of all the idiot mages who had fallen beneath his tread.

His reincarnation would give him more power. The science behind the magic was infallible. He would acquire the power latent in his host.

He would be one step closer to godhood.

*****

Evrain’s body convulsed.

It was happening too soon!

His body was still relatively young. What was wrong? What was happening?

Evrain was glad there were no guards or servants inside his chambers. He didn’t fancy killing them. He had had to do so with the last servant who had seen his previous fit. He hadn’t known whether or not she had heard anything, or if he had even spoken during what was becoming a more and more regular occurrence, but he wouldn’t risk his future just because it left a small distaste in his mouth killing such a luscious pretty little thing.

There were no ends the supply of beautiful young women, Evrain had had her replaced before the night had finished. Still it was wasteful, and Evrain hated waste.

Even when it was necessary.

What was causing the tremors? His last body had lasted a decade longer than the current one before the tremors had started then. Was his timespan truly growing shorter?

“What’s happening? I thought you’d said I’d be immortal!? This body is breaking down even quicker than the last one! What’s happening!?” Evrain growled into the darkness.

“I never said you would be immortal old friend.” The old familiar voice said to him. “I said you would live forever. I said you would gain untold power. Sadly that means the more power you gain, the harder it is for your body to carry.”

Evrain cursed into the night. He had known that.

Hadn’t he?

It was getting harder to remember.

It was nearing time for another host.

And so soon.

That thought terrified Evrain.

0