Chapter 3 – Remi – Prologue
109 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Searching through the planet once again, Remi found the last soul he wanted. It belonged to a creature floating in a vat of viscous gel. Nothing special about this creature's looks as it floated like a jellyfish in the gel.

 

This creature, surrounded by miniature versions of itself all floating in place with each releasing a luminescent pulse. The pulses seemed to be a form of communication as the large creature appeared to be issuing commands of some sort with its rapid flashes.

 

Remi observed the group which suddenly became overactive. Small bits of earth broke free from the cavern storing the creatures and fell into the vat. The falling dirt only triggered the creatures further with their luminescent colors flashing in vivid contrasts.

 

As he observed the creatures, Remi's attention shifted to one of the many tunnels leaving into the cavern. The ground was humming from a series of vibrations. Chunks of moss and rock fell from the cavern at an increased rate as the vibrations grew stronger as well.

 

It took but a second, however Remi watched the army show itself in slow motion. Crawling across the ground on six legs, thousands of ants, each the size of a small child, broke through a magic barrier that sealed the cavern entrance.

 

The two sides engaged in combat with the jellyfish-like creatures extending tentacles from the water to pick off ants as they swarmed the room. The tentacles crushed each ant it landed on, yet the ants continued pushing in.

 

Remi observed the valiant teamwork as the ants started undermining the vats in the room. The first jellyfish-like creature became a victim of the ants when the vat could no longer support the weight of the gel inside it and collapsed.

 

As the vat dumped its contents onto the cavern floor, the swarm of ants picked off each jellyfish unfortunate enough to be washed out. The one sided fight lasted for quite a while until the ants appeared satisfied and withdrew from the cavern with their hunt results.

 

The ground vibrated on their retreat just as it did on their arrival, however the vibrations this time were enough to disjoin a stalactite from the ceiling. To the larger jelly creature's dismay, it was pierced through by the makeshift stake allowing Remi to reap its soul just prior to impact.

 

Remi pulled back his consciousness from the world into his God realm. The three souls collected rotated within a series of golden orbs. As if overcoming some revolting thought, Remi grimaced before getting to work.

 

He prodded the souls, clearing out what memories and traits he felt would adversely affect his representative. From the Demon Lord's soul, he chose to clean it out almost entirely, leaving behind only aspects that drove greed, desire, impulsiveness as well as its knowledge of magic. Traits Remi believed any sapient creature needed in order to pursue power or progression.

 

The cleaned soul faded from its blackened shape into a silvery, semi transparent state. Remi pushed to the next soul and proceeded to remove its components as well. He selected the scientist for her inherent knowledge and boosted intelligence. Traits he felt his representative would need in order to figure out their position and new body.

 

Finally, the jelly soul was cleaned up, its glow reverting back to the same silvery appearance as the previous two. Though he couldn't see it in action during that particular attack, Remi knew the creatures were well known for tactics, strategy, and planning in general. Once again, traits he felt his representative needed.

 

The three souls remained floating before him and with a thought, Remi merged the three into one. The new soul retained the silvery appearance, however Remi felt as if his guilt were crushing him. As it stood, the soul before him was nothing more than a puppet that would follow his orders.

 

It lacked the free will Remi enforced on his worlds. For a moment, he struggled internally on how to proceed. As it was, his representative would certainly follow his orders and would likely stand a chance of victory in the Gods Game, however, how would that be different from any of the other Gods who lambasted him over his choices?

 

Remi thought for a long while with his consciousness idling in his worlds hoping for inspiration. One of the other reasons Remi appreciated free will so much aside from it being his origin was because his worlds were capable of acting outside his influence.

 

The world's entertainments were all created through the natives' imaginations and experiences. Remi leaned on this for his inspiration and after observing for a bit, he finally came across one.

 

Within a fantasy book a young elf authored was a protagonist who transmigrated to another world. In this world, the protagonist was gifted with a series of abilities by a trickster God holding ill intent.

 

One ability in particular was dubbed 'Augurs Taboo' which tormented the protagonist with prophecies of his own death. Remi thought the concept was rather interesting and chose to mimic such a technique, though he chose to take artistic liberties with the idea.

 

He wrote a custom skill into the soul and stood back for a moment. As he had a method of warning his representative without forcing it to obey his orders, Remi found himself at a crossroad of how to implement the free will aspect. 

 

Typically, a target would have three methods of 'obtaining' free well. The first was to have it gifted by a sentient creature through unique or rare skills. Another was for the target to absorb copious amounts of qi or mana from the world, or rather the information contained within. As the information coalesced internally, a will would naturally form as the information organized itself.

 

The final method that was more common to see was for the target to collect more information through instincts until a particular threshold was met. Often, creatures capable of locomotion and basic sapience utilized this method.

 

The soul template hovered in front of him glowing as if begging to be released into the wild. Even though Remi expected as much, he found it interesting how powerful the instincts the soul held were.

 

He originally planned to grant freewill to it via the first method, however he could feel the pulsating instincts reaching out from the soul. Even without freewill, it was as if the soul was telling Remi to back off and let it work through the problem itself.

 

Remi chuckled at the idle interpretation he held of it. He raised his hand, bringing with it golden lights that seemed to envelope the silver crystal. The crystal was only the size of a sand grain and yet it appeared to hold an unfathomable amount of space within.

 

"As I'm allowing you to grow on your own without interference, the Gods Game should allow assistance of this degree from me. My representative, do what you wish. I hope for your assistance when the time comes, but don't feel obligated to fulfill it. My only hope is that you cherish what this God gifted you with and fight to retain it."

 

The soul floated to the artifact where tendrils of silver reached out, sewing the soul and crystal together. Remi's parting words were solemn, but true. Though he was backed into a corner and potentially at the end of his Godhood, Remi, in the end, was unable to betray his own feelings just to sustain himself.

 

He flicked his hands and the artifact launched like a meteor into the super earth he selected. The grain of sand entered the world's atmosphere without a visible sign, however the world shook. All major factions of the world recognized the shake as one belonging to the heavens.

 

As the grain of sand slammed into a mountainside, drilling hundreds of meters into it, the world started reacting with a massive search. The heavens tribulation signified the birth of something or someone supreme into the world.

 

As the tribulation covered the entirety of the planet, every major power was shaken to the core. All of this was unknown to the grain of sand buried in the planet though.

3