Chapter 3: Free Dinner? Say No More!
644 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Fun fact: A Mayan prophecy prophesizes that one day an e-thot will string together a certain number of hashtags in the correct order and end all human suffering.

I don't know if the girl thought we had escaped or if she just couldn't run anymore, but we stopped running, and the girl placed a hand on her knee, panting. I had plenty of questions I wanted to ask her, but she couldn't answer me in that condition. I wait for her to catch her breath.

I wait some more.

I wait around awkwardly.

I'm still waiting.

Wow, this girl is out of shape. I mean, I'm starving, sleep-deprived and lame, but even I'm not that tired. Maybe I'm just more fit than I realize? 

She took one final deep breath, then turned to face me for the first time. 

"Thank you," she said. "You saved me." 

I acknowledge her gratitude with an awkward nod of my head. The moment I saw her straight on for the first time, I became fully aware of the position I was in. I had scoured every corner of my memory I could, but I could find no precedent similar to this situation that I could use to help me. I was alone with a pretty girl. I don't know what to do. She had long, golden-brown hair that nearly flowed down to her waist, eyes as blue as a clear summer sky and fair skin. She was so... dainty. 

"Oh... I-I'm sorry," the girl apologized. She seemed to mistake my social incompetence for something else. She released my hand, her face flushed. Don't worry, Miss, your hand wasn't that sweaty. Her cheeks reddened, and her eyes averted. She withdrew a frilly handkerchief from her pocket and wiped the sweat from her brow. She even managed to make a mundane task like that beautiful. "Do you want to use it?" She offered me her used handkerchief. I shake my head.

"N-No," I tell her. "I don't need it." Also, I'm not using a soaked handkerchief. I simply refuse to. She inspects my face, making me look to the ground in embarrassment.

"You're very surprising," she tells me. "We ran all that way, and you haven't broken a sweat. And earlier, too. What do you practice, if I may ask?"

"Hmm?" What does she mean by 'practice'? Practice as in martial arts?

"Martial arts, for instance." She confirmed my thoughts. I was right. I'm always right. "You dodged her strike, didn't you?"

"N-No, that was just luck. I, uh, don't do martial arts."

"Luck, huh?" She looks me once up and down, causing me to fidget. "Those people were specially trained. You must have truly excellent reflexes."

Well, well, well. Did you hear that, ladies and gentlemen? She was familiar with those people. How nice. Whether they were friend or foe to this girl has still yet to be determined. But quite frankly, I don't care anymore. If it weren't already obvious, I wasn't one for conversation. I should be going now. I have raccoons to befriend and dumpsters to dive. This girl's on her own now. Buh-bye. Before I could turn to leave, however, she giggled. She laughed at me. Her laugh wasn't malicious in the slightest; it was actually quite cute and welcoming. But what's so funny all of a sudden

"How hungry are you?" she asked me. I heard borborygmus. I use that word in the hopes that you don't know what it means and spare myself from any further embarrassment. 

"I'm... on a bit of a diet right now," I pull an excuse out of the Aether to defend what little pride I had left.

"A diet? Ah, of course. Obesity plagues us regardless of sex, after all. But you..." She took a moment to inspect me from tip to toe again. I really wish she would stop doing that. "You look malnourished. Your stomach has been growling the entire time we've stood here. You really mustn't starve yourself like that. I know!" She smiled suddenly, as If she'd come up with a good idea. "I haven't had dinner yet, either. Why don't you join me? There's something I'd like to speak to you about, as well. Would you mind? Come on, let's go." Without even waiting for my response, the girl turned on her heel and began walking promptly. This sounds like a great idea to me at first, but...

"Hey, wait!" I spoke up self-consciously. The girl turned back, an anxious expression on her face.

"Sorry," she apologized, looking like a wounded puppy. "You don't want to? Did you have other plans?" 

"No, I just don't have any money on me." Or at all. 

"Oh, I see," She gave me the same easy smile as before. "I'll pay, of course. It's the least I can do."

"Huh? A... Are you sure? Is that okay?"

"Yes! I had already planned to do so even before you said that. I'm really grateful to you, after all. Many people coming home from work passed us by. But they all acted as though they didn't see us. I understand when a person is busy, they don't want to get involved in something like that. But I was looking for someone to help me... and every single person I looked towards turned the other way. I thought I was doomed..." She started scratching her cheek and gave a sheepish smile. "But then you came along. Even though you were just one man standing against four... you intervened on my behalf... and that made me... very happy. I don't know how to express how thankful I am. Your courage fills me with awe." As she said all this, her cheeks filled with red and she slumped over a little, bashful. I've never received such straightforward and honest praise before. My chest tightened at her kind words, and feelings whirled up inside of me that I hadn't felt in years. Not since I met Chloe. I had experienced this feeling almost daily with her, so I knew what to call it.

It was guilt. A deep sense of remorse. Shame so great it made me physically sick. I can feel my stomach churn in disgust. I had only just met this girl, but I had already given her a false image of myself. She thought of me as a hero when I was nothing more than scum. When I reflect back on how I was just going to abandon her, I'm appalled with myself. I thought about confessing this to her, but she's a nice girl, so I decided against it. If I had, then I'm sure she would say something along the lines of, 'But you didn't, and that's all that matters.' I don't know if I would be able to handle that. Her charity is more than I deserve. I want to refuse her offer, but she's kind. I fear it would weigh heavily on her mind if she didn't help her 'saviour' when he was in trouble. I don't want to do that to her. I hate this. But more than this, I hate myself. I hate myself now more than ever.

"Well, let's go," the luminescent soul in front of me spoke. "There's a restaurant I always visit when I'm in this part of town. I'll show you the way." The angel led the way, and the revolting lump of living flesh followed.

During our walk, the girl introduced herself as Sol Rousenin. She had placed herself on my right. Whether she did this unconsciously or not, I didn't know.

"Sol Rosenberg?" I said in disbelief, mishearing her. She giggled her cute little giggle again.

"No, Rousenin," she corrected, putting an emphasis on the last syllable of her name. "Sol Rousenin."

"Ah, sorry."

"No, no, it's alright, mister... " she trailed off and looked up at me. What do you want? Is there something on my face? You know, other than the ugliness? Is this what you always do after you introduce yourself to people? You just stare at them until-oh I think she wants me to introduce myself.

"Ah. My name's Seraph..."

"Seraph?" This time, she was the one to be shocked upon hearing my name. "Seraph as in the seraphim? The angels?"

"I think so..." 

"How lovely! It's very nice to meet you, Seraph," She gave me a little curtsy as we walked. She must come from the highest of high classes. What do I say in response to this? Do I just shoot back with a 'nice to meet you, too?' Do I hit her with a 'likewise' instead? Should I curtsy as well? Or would a bow be better?

"It-t-ch-m. Mhm." 

. . .

Seriously, Seraph? It was one line. It was one line with five words. FIVE WORDS, SERAPH! HOW DID YOU GET THAT? It wasn't even a stutter! It was just a bunch of mumbo jumbo! You had to say one thing, and you fucked it. You fucked it! I see Sol off to the side, looking away from me with a hand covering her mouth. The tips of her ears were slightly red, and her shoulders were trembling slightly. Please hold in your laughter, Miss Sol. You're doing very well so far. Miss Sol straightened herself up again and regained her poise like a professional. Thank you for that. 

"You may be wondering what I wanted to speak to you about," she changed topics. Honestly, I completely forgot. "But there's quite a bit to explain. Though it might be more proper to say that there's something I hoped to ask you over dinner... is that all right with you?"

"O-Oh... yeah..."

"I'm sorry. I know it's hard to respond when I say this without telling you properly what I mean." I had assumed that she was just trying to make some kind of a pass at me when she said she wanted to speak to me, but it doesn't seem like she did. From the way she was talking, it sounded serious. We only just met, though. What could she want to ask me about?

15