2.19 – Trapped
101 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up with a splitting headache. After a while the swirling shadows in front of me cleared up into a small room with a small door with an iron grate.

My arms were pulled over my head, while my legs were widely split to the side with cold iron shackles around my wrists and my ankles. Another band of metal was around my waist and my neck.

As I started to feel cold I noticed that I was stark naked as well.

The others were nowhere to be seen. I tried to move my arms and legs, but there wasn’t much I could do than rattling with the chains a bit.

I decided to keep quiet for now and try to get an idea about the situation. It was a mess of course. There were metal strips around my waist and neck which were fastened to wall behind me.

Something was pulling at my mana, but it was weak. As I focused on keeping my mana for myself the pull felt negligible. There wasn’t much I could do with it in this situation, but it was MINE, but my Mana didn’t seem to regenerate.

I could see nothing obviously magical, but the pull came from about my neck, so it was probably the collar around my neck which I couldn’t see. Heating the metal was a lost case, even if I would be able to melt it. I could try to engrave runes, but with my hands chained it would be a problem to do it properly and the effects were not really strong as well. Not strong enough to make a difference at the moment.

What did we do to these people? The only thing which would make sense was that they knew who we were. I hadn’t taken into account poison as I agreed to stop by the abbey, which irked me considerably.

I wondered where the other were, but probably not far away. Focusing on Milly and Tilly I had the inkling that they were only a few meters away, behind the wall to the right. I had no idea where Caroline and Loraline were though.

While I was mad, mostly at myself, but at our hosts as well, I decided to keep my ire for the time I could actually beat someone up. Those chains were simply beyond be and I needed to be able to think clearly to find a way out of here.

I tried to keep as calm. I had no idea how long I had been out. I heard Milly and Tilly rattling with their chains once in a while.

Then I heard someone moving the bars at my door. There were no footsteps before, so either it was someone skulking through the prison or someone who was out there all the time.

It was the old man we met at the gate.

“Still everything as it has to be.” He walked up to me and checked my restraints.

I decided to stay silent for now.

“You’re one of those pathetic heroes which led the military on a goose chase across the continent.” He stepped back and scratched his head while eyeballing me.

Well. Shit.

“We got a letter last year which mentioned the case.” He furrowed his brows.

The situation looked bad. Really bad.

“Well I hope you have a pleasant stay here until the troops arrive to take care of you.” He left the room, barring the door again.

I heard him talking for a while, but eventually I heard him leaving.

Then after about five minutes I heard someone outside again, but he left after another ten minutes of silence.

“Milly? Tilly? Caroline? Loraline?” I called out.

“Lilly!” Milly and Tilly answered.

No answers from the two others.

“Are you alone in your cell as well?” Tilly was significantly quieter than Milly, but there could be other reasons for that.

“Yes!” They answered.

“Any idea where the others are?” The last memory I had was from the refectory.

“No.” They answered.

“Mana?” It would probably be the same.

“Not regenerating.” They replied.

“We can just wait.” I furrowed my brows.

So we waited. For a long time.

I started to feel hungry and thirsty and finally tired. At some point I drifted away in a shallow uneasy sleep which was not interrupted by jolts of pain for a change. Well, it had been a while since I had a full nights sleep.

I woke up from steps outside the cell. A woman wearing white robes similar to the other inhabitants of this abbey entered the cell. She carried a small cauldron. There was someone in the hallway as well.

She got a wooden spoon out of the folds of her robes and started to feed me a kind of soup.

I considered a moment, but in the end it would be better to eat and drink at least something. It could be drugged, but if I wasn’t able to walk because of dehydration or hunger it won’t make much of a difference.

There was faint and flickering magical aura playing around the woman. I’ve never seen that before, but I didn’t look like it would do anything useful. I had to discuss it with Tilly at some point.

She left without a word, winking before she turned to leave the cell. I heard them visiting the other cells as well. After a while they left again.

Later mana regeneration set in again, which was followed by jolts of pain again.

“We should try to prevent the jolts by using up mana as soon as we hear someone coming.” I called out at the others.

“Sounds reasonable.” They answered in unison.

There were three more feedings before anything noteworthy happened. My arms and shoulders were aching badly, but I hoped that I’d be able to be at least able to move once the chains were gone.

After a while, which was way to short for the next feeding I heard people coming. They were more than usual. Were these the mentioned troops?. On the other hand there were no noises of metal at all.

After a few moments the door opened, and the woman in the white robes stood in the doorway. She stepped to the side.

“Lilly!” Caroline appeared in the doorway.

She was wearing just a simple shirt which was torn at the left arm and at the waist.

“Caroline!” Hope welled up in my heart.

“How’s Loraline?” I looked at her with wide eyes.

“She’s looking after our new friend.” She came over to me.

“What happend?” I was curious how they showed up here.

“Let me try to crack these locks now. We can talk later. Time is of essence.” She knelt down before my left ankle, pulling out a few wires out of her hair.

I stopped talking and watched how Caroline picked the lock.

“There you go.” She put my leg gently to the ground.

“Aaahhh!” I tried to move my legs, but my calf started to cramp instantly.

Caroline walked over to the other ankle and picked the lock as well.

Finally I was free again.

“Take you time. I’m going to need time to free the others.” Caroline put me gently to the ground.

She left the cell.

I started rub and massage my arms and legs, and after a while I felt comfortable enough to try to get back on my feet. After a few tries I finally was on my feet again. Stuggling with my balance I continued to the door of the cell. There were two more open doors in the hallway. I walked up to the next door, staying close to the wall, leaning against the cold stone once in a while.

In the next room Caroline had just finished to free Milly.

“Already walking.” She smiled at me.

“Not really straight, but it’s getting better every moment.” I tried a smile back.

My arms and legs were still protesting after the days of abuse.

“I’m going to get Tilly.” She left again.

“Aaahhhh!” Milly groaned as she tried to move.

“Let me help you.” I wobbled over and started to rub and massage her legs.

“Liiiilllyyy!” Milly groaned while I took care about her legs.

“Okay, okay, I stop. Try to get to your feet though. We should at least be able to run just in case.” I started to do some stretches.

“The food was drugged.” Milly furrowed her brows.

“It was.” I stayed focused.

“I’m going to rip his guts out!” Milly clenced her jaw trying to bend her knees.

“While I’m fully with you, we should focus on getting our gear back and leave as soon as we can.” I tried squatting, but the knees were protesting too much.

“Unfortunately you’ve got a point.” She furrowed her brows.

Soon Tilly, Loraline, Caroline and the woman in robes appeared by the door.

“We should go to the watch room at least.” Caroline looked at me.

“Sure.” With hiss I got back to my feet.

Milly struggled to get up swearing in something that sounded like Italian.

Finally we slowly walked down the hallway through another door.

“Concise. Need to now now.” I looked at Caroline.

“This is Alenae. She’s something like a prisoner here as well and managed to free the two of us.” She looked at Loraline.

Loraline was just wearing a simple shirt as well.

“There are men from this Dragon Order on their way here. We’ve no idea when they arrive.” She frowned.

“The old man and the abbot were the ones who captured us and the abbot has taken the magical trinkets and what was left of our coins.” Loraline looked at Alenae.

“Your normal stuff is an a storage room in the basement. We can get there to retrieve it.” Alenae nodded and looked into my eyes.

“Then we should go to get our magical stuff back. Then we go for our provisions. I’m slightly annoyed by all this mess, so I’m not going to hold back if we find this old rat or the abbot.” I clenched my fists.

“This is a hidden area with direct access to the abbot’s rooms. I don’t think that most of the brothers know anything about this dungeon. Your friends were imprisoned in simple cellar rooms. I think they were deemed not to be important.” Alenae looked at Lp0oraline.

“Then we stay here to recover a bit and return to the abbots rooms thereafter. I don’t care about the other twit, as long as we get back what’s ours. It would be the best if no one else even notices somethings is wrong until we’re gone.” I stretched my arms.

“That’s unfortunately too late. Give up.” The old man entered the guardroom with a drawn short sword.

My mana was too low to summon the maid outfit, but immediately activated my magical armor. I noticed Tilly doing the same. She nodded at me and I nodded back. Milly shook her head.

Slowly Tilly and I advanced towards the man.

“I will kill you if you don’t give up now!” He glared at me.

“Sure.” I activated my claws and jabbed at him stepping left.

“Abomination!” He advanced and tried to stab me, but I retreated to keep my distance.

“Silly old fart!” I bared my teeth.

Tilly had moved to the exit. The rest were on their way there as well.

I took a stool and threw it at him, but he easily dodged.

Milly, Caroline and Loraline picked up stools as well as they continued to the door.

“You can’t flee silly girls!” He laughed at the them.

As they blocked the door Tilly joined the frame.

“Aarggh!” He managed to dodge and turned to Tilly.

While he tried to stab he I circled into his back. The only way he could retreat now was towards the door.

I nooded at Tilly. Now it was time to turn the tables.

He tried to skewer Tilly while trying to keep an eye on me.

I was feeling better again, so I took the small table, running towards him with the table in front of me. As he tried to step to the side, I saw his face harden.

“Finally realized you’re trapped?” I gave him an evil grin keeping the table between us.

As he tried to get at my legs I dropped the table and cut four furrows into his forehead.

“Aaaahh!” His free hand went up to his forehead.

Then he came flying towards me as Tilly kicked him in the butt.

I avoided the point of his sword and took a shallow cut to the waist while stabbing my right claws deep into his side. He turned and tried to cut me but failed to align his blade properly. He failed to cut to my skin.

Tilly had stepped to his side and tried to kick at his knee, but he dodged. As he pulled back his sword I dug my claws deep through his forearm.

I could see panic in his eyes now.

He tried to stab me, but I skidded back forcing him to turn his back to Tilly if he wanted to follow up.

His legs started to wobble as he fell forward with two gushing wounds next to his kidneys.

“I” He looked a me in disbelieve.

“You’re not as strong as you thought, old man.” I shook my head.

The he fell limp.

“Are you okay?” Milly came to me.

“Only a few scratches, as usual.” I gave her a hug.

“Lilly!” She hugged me back

“Let’s leave. He will probably be missed soon.” I looked at Alenae

“We don’t know if he told someone that he went down here.” She shrugged.

“Not that I’m complaining, but I am curious why you helped us, Alenae?” I looked into her dark brown eyes.”

“It’s a long story. My father sent me here because I’m tainted by an ancient curse. Since it’s a stain on the family’s reputation he sent me here against my will to prevent that someone will reveal it to the public. I don’t want to stay here and would like to accompany you when you leave.” She looked at me with wide eyes.

“Hmmm.” I looked at her.

I didn’t have the impression that she had worked much in her life. The hands were smooth and she had a slender arms. He long dark brown hair was braided into a long ponytail.

“Please!” Her lips quivered.

“It would be heartless to leave you behind, but I have a few conditions.” I crossed my arms under my chest.

I blushed a bit as I realized I was still not wearing anything.

“I’ll do anything you want!” She nodded at me.

“I want you to do what we tell you as long as we travel together. The mountains can be dangerous and I assume you don’t have much experience defending yourself.” I furrowed my brows.

“That will be no problem.” She bowed her head.

“I expect you to help carrying equipment.” I looked at the others.

They nodded.

“I’m not used to do that, but I’m willing to help as good as I can,” She gulped.

“You’re going to learn to defend yourself.” I nodded at her.

“I-I-I. I’m going to do that. I don’t want to be a burden to you.” She looked firmly into my eyes.

“Then let’s prepare to leave. There’s much to do. What can you tell me about the way ahead.” I walked to the exit.

Caroline picked up the sword of the old man. His clothes were shredded and drenched in blood. After few moments she produced a key ring with a few keys.

“There is a secret passage behind this door. There are multiple exits. One is the office of the abbot. There’s a passage to the cellar where I freed your friends. There is a third passage as well, but it is locked, and only the abbot has keys for this way. I had overheard a conversation about it. I think that it leads out of the Abbey, but I can’t say for sure.” She was following me closely.

“What about the normal equipment, clothes wouldn’t be bad.” I opened the door.

A spiral staircase lead upwards and downwards.

“Down there is the exit I told you about, there’s a corridor leading to the cellar at some point. At the top of the staircase are the personal rooms of the abbot.” She bit on her lower lips.

“Your clothes are in a storage room we can best reach from the abbots rooms.” Alenae looked at her feet.

“We go up to the abbots rooms first. If he is there we try to take him out as quiet and fast as possible. How good is the chance to reach that storage room unnoticed?” I started to climb up the stairs.

“At this time of the day most brothers are outside, so I would say it should be okay. I can spy ahead, as I can always tell the others I’m on an errant for the abbot. He treated me skivvy all the time.” She was close behind me.

The others followed. My legs were still protesting, but it wasn’t that bad. While fighting it wasn’t an issue at all, but I felt it a bit afterwards.

There were plenty of stairs. About half the way up we passed a narrow corridor.

Finally we reached a small stairhead with a door.

“There is a small flap to look outside.” Alenae whispered point at a lever.

I went to the door and looked into a pompous bedroom. There was another door and a large window. There was no one in the room.

“It’s empty.” I whispered and looked at Alenae.

There was a handle and scratches on the floor which hinted at the door opening to the inside. I pulled and the heavy door opened without much noise.

“Caroline, to the door.” I walked over to the window.

Caroline went over to the door, followed by Loraline. Tilly walked over to the bed and sat down. Milly went to a wardrobe by the wall. Alenae followed me to the window.

The yard was nearly empty.

“Most will be busy with their daily chores now.” Alenae looked outside as well.

“What’s behind that door?” I followed the road south with my eyes.

“It’s the office. Most probably the abbot is in there.” She looked at the door.

“Is there a way to find out? There is movement on the road. There are glints from metal, but it’s too far away to see more.” I turned back to the room.

Milly had white clothes on her arms. Tilly was wearing too wide robes now.

“I’ve found something to wear.” Milly threw me a package of clothes.

“Thanks. We have to hurry though.” I frowned at the window.

“We should have from two to three hours until they are here. That should be enough to retrieve your normal equipment.” She turned to the room.

“Describe the office.” I looked at Alenae.

“There is another door at the far side of the room, which leads to the hallway. The abbot will be sitting with the back to this door normally. The hallway should be empty. There is a window like this one to the yard as well.” She looked at me with wide eyes.

“Loraline, keep an eye on the yard.” I threw over the robes.

They were too large of course, but should do for now. Loraline went over to the window.

“Caroline, can you open the door silently?” I stretched to get an idea how these robes interfered with my movements.

“I can try, but without proper equipment ...” She started to examine the hinges of the door.

“The door should be well oiled.” Alenae walked over to the door.

“Seems decent.” Caroline confirmed after a few moments.

“Tilly, you’re going to block the door, Milly go for the window. Caroline and I will take care of the abbot or whatever we find beyond the door.“ I looked at the others who nodded.

“Stay safe.” I turned to Alenae.

She nodded.

Caroline opened the door. There was no one in the room.

While I didn’t care about revenge enough to risk anything retrieving our magical stuff was another point. It was still better to leave without them than to get caught here, but I’d prefer to keep them as they had been quite useful.

“Okay. Change of plans. I stay back here with Tilly to ambush the abbot. The rest tries to get everything they can get from that store room without making a ruckus. I don’t want to risk that they send out a messenger to approaching warriors.” I frowned at the desk.

“I show you the way.” Alenae went to door to the hallway.

They opened the door and disappeared into the hallway after a few moments. I closed the door to bedroom save for a slit. Loraline was still monitoring the outside.

Tilly hid beside the door at the hinge’s side, so I took cover behind the desk.

“Wait until he’s occupied with me, Tilly.” I closed my eyes and focused on my hearing.

8