Chapter 157: The Queen’s Announcement(1)
1.3k 4 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ever since Kotori had brought Delia in for tea, Delia had been ignoring her. When they met in the palace Delia would always avert her gaze and runoff.

It didn’t frustrate Kotori, rather she had a feeling Delia was trying to protect her. Delia seemed like the kind of girl who would cut off connections to others to make sure they didn’t get involved.

It had been two weeks since then and apparently, the queen was about to announce her first trial.

The was much excitement in the adventurer’s guild and the city as many were excited to see it play out. Apparently, this announcement was going to be important since the queen was making several changes to the current system.

Several betting pods had been set up and most people had their money on Ryla and Zacaraih winning it all.

Kotori had once checked one of these pods to see her own chances of winning and found that few people had any expectation of her winning. She wasn’t even a dark horse candidate, but rather a nonsequeter in their calculation.

Kotori didn’t have any chance of winning in their minds. Though, she understood why they felt that way. There was no real reason for them to believe she could win of course. Kotori hadn’t shown a single ounce of potential in front of them and most people knew that Fawks was just a merchant boy middle child who tried to run away from his responsibility. She didn’t even have a power base or supporters so it was no surprise that they didn’t bet on her.

Kotori could only hope that by doing multiple trials and succeeding in them she would be able to swing some people to her side.

** ** **

It was the day of the announcement and a stage had been set up in the plaza in from the Labyrinthos. A large crowd had formed already, and several merchants and food vendors had set up stalls to sell to the crowd. It looked like a supremely profitable enterprise and Kotori wondered how much money she would make if she could’ve set up her Pajeon stand here. Although, it would be difficult to acquire Kraken meat on such short notice, so maybe it wasn’t the best idea.

The queen herself was dress in full regalia and sat on the large chair in front of the pedestal that had a large gem attached.

The other queen candidates and their key retainers were sitting behind her. For once Kotori could see the other candidates all together.

Delia had a meek expression with Fawk’s older brother Zacaraih holding a confident smile displaying strength. Yenoba and Fawk’s younger brother sat with easy going expression as if they were ready to shrug off any sort of obstacle. In contrast to them, Ryla had a very intense expression as if she was going to war.

In another life Kotori’s might’ve respected Ryla. She was a strong woman no doubt, it was only circumstance that had led them to become enemies.

Still, Kotori felt awkward sitting with just Fawks and her companions. Fawks was looking extremely nervous shaking his legs and saying prayers under his breath.

Kotori gave an exasperated sigh.

[He really is a useless person in these situations.] The confident Fawks had long since disappeared ever since their arrival in Eris.

Queen Nepherta, had a cheery smile and posture on her plump and plum figure.

The amount of people in the Plaza grew to a dizzying amount and Kotori gained a sense of how many people truly lived in Eris. It felt like the entire city was here in addition to visitors from the other cities in the country. The plaza was overfilled, and several people were sitting on the shoulders of other to get a good view. Those who had not make it into the plaza in time were peaking from the streets that led into it and trying to push their way in.

There was no sort of class distinctions in the plaza. Rich merchant and street urchin alike, clumped together to hear the queen’s announcement.

The queen suddenly stood up and approach the podium. The once loud crowd grew quiet as their queen readied herself to speak.

She truly had a regal posture like this and for once. Kotori understood what a “queen” looked like.

“Ahem” She said clearing her throat. It seemed like the clear crystal on the pedestal was some kind of voice amplification crystal and her voice echoed throughout the plaza into the city.

The people all suddenly seemed to lean forward as if they didn’t want to miss a single syllable of what the queen was about to say.

“My fellow people!” The queen started to say spreading her arms wide and gesturing to the crowd.

“Today begins the start of a momentous occasion, the picking of the new queen!”

The crowd cheered at the statement. The sound of the cheering was a loud roar that manages to nearly push Kotori into her chair.

[So it begins she thought]

This used to be one chapter but then I realized it had to be two. Surprisingly this was a long scene to write

 

39