A Way Home
233 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Going from May up to November, I've been tracking Chinese and Korean Units within Russian Territory. Most Mercs would say that doing that was a waste of time. Heh, only if they knew the simple profit that comes from it.

By the 1st of December 2069, I've had over One Million Roubles in my Pocket, including the Euros from Germany that I've changed into Roubles for convenience.

On the First Day of Christmas, I've had sent Gifts to my Mother and my little sister Kate in form of Money. The reason behind that was, I didn't want to send a physical Gift and then have it delayed, so I chose to send Money over E-banking. One hell of an invention.

While the war was in their Favour, the Russian Forces decided it was time to go on the offensive. So they did, on one faithful Day in 2070. The Mercs were ordered to take charge, the Russians thought they could use this as a form of "Shield" for their own Troops. The problem was... their Troop couldn't keep up the pace.

Every Merc had a Tank or one Type of AFV, coupled with the hunger for profits. It became a competition between the "Predator" Mercs and the low-level Mercs that barely knew what they wanted. 
I saw this "Offensive", as an opportunity to get some info and Equipment to use. Knowing of Chinese Unsecured Communication Channels and with Raven's "Translation Module" I've tracked down a couple of Chinese Border Troops. Thinking that would give me the Upper Hand over the other Mercs, I was right. 

In the month of April 2070, I was swimming in Profits. 
The Russian set up a system to track the Progress of each Merc and distribute the money in a "rightful" way. I found a way to exploit it in May of the same year.
That System tracked every Kill you've made via special software installed in the Helmet of each Merc, that was its sole purpose nothing harmful. While many tried to Hack it and change the numbers, the Russians quickly found out and killed those who tried. Of course, in Russian style, they executed them Publicly and exposing their Identities.

It was a simple and crude system, but it wasn't just based on the Kills. One could earn a hefty bonus if he was to bring back any type of useful Intel. Those were very rare to find, as the Chinese mostly kept it in Digital Format and accessing one of their Data Centers in the Field, was suicide. They would guard it with everything they had. Be it Tanks, Anti-Air Systems or AFV's, they would even use Rocks, if I was to follow the Tales told.

Even in July of 2070, the Russian still couldn't catch up to us. I sort of, felt bad for them. But then I realized their Bread was assured, even if they did Jackshit. While mine was earned through Blood and Sweat.
In the last months of that year, I was thinking of sending much bigger Sums of Money to the ones I cared about, but it would've made my life much tougher.

The Conditions in which you slept, bathed, and took meals were all provided by Nature. 
I would bath in Rivers, eat what I could find and sleep in Trees. It was tough living for quite some time.

It only got worse by the day, my Mental health downgraded significantly in a very short period. Considering the small amount of Human interaction didn't bother me, it was a mystery to find the source of it.
The Days would get darker and darker until... I finally snapped. Raven, tried his best to keep me calm but all I wanted was to go home and see my Katya.

One could buy Ammo and food from the Chinese Towns that didn't treat Mercs as hostiles, rather... they would welcome some of us. Even offering us warm food and actual beds. All that with just a few Yuan that I got from dead corpses, killed by my bullets.

It was a full moon, the night of the 27th of December 2070. I lost my cool and went on a solo Mission coupled with a Killing spree. Murdering every living Soul that had a Chinese Military Uniform.
My destination was Beijing's Harbor. The Chinese had enough pressure from the Russian and Japanese Naval Forces, but mainly Japan was pressuring the Chinese due to Japan's declining economy. And I was aware of that, just thinking that my Mother could lose her earned Business was setting my nerves on fire and fueling my anger with gasoline.

Both Korean Nations had surrendered, the South sometime in January 2071 while the North in early February 2071.
My mission to Beijing Harbor was still in motion, even if their Allies capitulated. All I had on my mind, from what I remember, was revenge.

Finally, on the 15th of March 2071, I had reached the Harbor, going all the way from the Russian-Chinese border to Beijing.
The small group of University and High School students dressed up as Soldiers would surrender without firing a shot, these were put there to guard the Harbor. 
I immediately Contacted Russian higher-ups telling them that Bejing Harbor was conquered and that the Chinese Military was slowly dying, which I didn't believe back then. 

A Nation putting most of its GDP into its Armed forces can't spare some small number of troops to defend one of its Harbors? Also, one of its most treasured as it would make the perfect Naval Invasion target for its Enemies.

In the End, China surrendered on the 22nd of April. Its Navy was turned to Scrap on the bottom of the Seas, Soldiers hunted and killed like animals and its Air Force of which 68% never left the Ground because of Fuel shortages.
All in all, it was a pointless war, some say to this Day. All I cared about was to leave China and return to my Katya.

After everything was settled with the Chinese, I got my payment of all the accounted Kills and destruction of Chinese Military Facilities and Equipment of 15,6 Million Roubles, excluding the Roubles I had before the war was over.
I requested that I would talk to Mikhail, the Father of my beloved Katya.

Initially, he was curious as to why one of his most valuable Mercs wants to talk to him suddenly. I asked for a private meeting whenever possible. Thankfully he agreed. A week later, after I sorted Raven's damaged modules and plating out, I got a definitive answer from Mikhail himself, not one of his Underlings.
He wanted to meet me at a Coffee shop in Moscow, one under his Influence. Weird, I thought but as long as I could talk to him, it was fine.

Ugh, Raven... he said he would be here 20 minutes ago. This is a mess! Sir, please calm down, this is your only Chance. I know it is! 
- Excuse me! Are you one of Mikhail's Soldiers? | Huh? That is a Female voice...
- Yes Miss. | That fragrance, is this... Katya's Mother?!
- Sorry for the Wait, please follow me. | Fuck this, I am happier to talk to her than to him.

I follow her inside the Caffee, she leads me to the Staff Room.
- This is a safe room to talk... Dan... Natsumi. | By my Money... it really is... her.
Taking my Helmet off, she just giggles.

- How did you know it was me? | Stupid think to ask a lady, damn it, Dan!
- My Husband has followed each of your Steps, he was certain that it was you. Of course, only after I've pointed out that it could be you. The way you handled situations and your Finances never dropped too far. | Oh wow, I just followed what my Mother taught me.

- Dan, one thing before we get you home. Me and your Mother, talked about your Marriage, you and Katya that is. | Excuse me?! I just won a War!
- Lady Kreznov, I beg your forgiveness. But I need to know if my Mother's business is alright, more importantly, is she alright?!
- Oh Dan, you should really think of your Mother as one of Japans richest. Her business is leading in Class for Armour Protection. | Oh thank goodness!
- Thank you Lady Kreznov. May I ask about yours? | Might be better to not have asked... but as we are here, why not.

She just giggled again, her Red Hair and modern Dress makes for an inspiring image.
- Dan, you are tired. Don't stress over it, you'll see everything you want and more once you board that Plane. | A Plane she says? Hmm, could be interesting.
- Also, you'll have to cover for your Friend's transport. 
- Certainly Lady Kreznov, please lead the way.

This is going to be my last day away from Home. We've done it, Raven, we've done it. Congratulations, Sir, you've earned this. No, Raven, we've earned this. 
Now uh... how much will that "transport" be? I don't have the slightest clue, Sir.

Continuing the Day, it was Lunch. The last thing I need is food. I need that Plane to take me Home!

Following Lady Kreznov to her Car, she explains to me the steps that I'll be taking to reach home.
- I'll be driving you to Vnukovo-3 Airport, from there you will fly to Japan. 
- Understood.

After a relatively short drive to Vnukovo-3 Airport, I immediately notice the large Cargo Plane that is waiting for something.
- That is your Ticket home, Dan, I'll be coming home with my Husband tomorrow. So don't worry about us. | She had everything planned out... impressive.
- Thank you very much Lady Kreznov.
- Don't thank me, Dan, thank my Daughter. She pestered me with more info about your wellbeing. Lena was just interested in the News about your Actions in the War. | What... News?

Exiting her car, she drives off. She has one very nice car. Sir, that is a given when you own the World's leading class Industries in Armaments.
That is good to hear, now let's board that Cargo Plane.

- Are you Dan Natsumi?
- That is correct.
- Good, we got your Friend here. Nice ride. | Raven?! When did you arrive here? | Just recently, Sir, I wanted to surprise you.
- You'll have to pay for his transport, wasn't easy. 
- I will, now get me home, will ya?
- Hop in, we're taking off.

Just a couple of hours, then I am back home, I will see my Mother again and my dear Katya.

9