Chapter 64-A Brief Tour Around Damask
443 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had only been two days since we came back to Damask. During those two days, I spent most of my time familiarizing myself with the current task that Isaac had left me, along with reintroducing myself to other people. 

The reintroductions went as well as they could. Most people reacted with indifference or wariness while a few maintained some level of friendliness with me. So for now, I just need to rebuild my relationships. 

As for the situation in Damask, things remained the same from before. Despite being bedridden, Isaac had still been attempting to perform his duties to some degree, which did alleviate things for the people in his administration. But since I returned, I was able to take over this duty. 

It was later that night that our typical group of four, along with the addition of Justin and Irene, sat at the dinner table to discuss our work in the future. 

“So we’re going to tour the countryside?” Sekh asked after I presented my plans. 

“Yeah,” I answered. “Now that I’m in charge in all but name, it’s necessary for me to introduce myself to the locals as well as assess their individual circumstances.”

“Like a proper lord,” Zeph added, a hint of admiration in her voice. “We can come along as well right?”

“Sure,” I replied. “Though I’ll bring along some more personnel as well so it won’t be a private trip for us.”

“Then I’ll come along,” Minerva declared assertively. “If you’re doing administrative work then I’ll be able to help. I might not have my exam results in, but I think that I’m more than qualified.”

“Be more subtle next time,” Sekh snickered. “We can all tell that you’re just trying to sneak in some time with Azel.”

“But you have to agree that it would be a benefit to bring me along,” Minerva argued, despite the somewhat shy look on her face. 

“You don’t have to get so defensive,” Sekh said amiably. “Besides, I was planning on tagging along to spend time with Azel.”

“I was going to invite all of you along anyways,” I told the group with a slightly exasperated look. 

“Us too?” Justin asked curiously. 

“Yes,” I answered. “You two are locals so you can provide a different perspective on the matter. And we’re friends so I don’t mind.”

“We’re coming along then,” Irene replied. 

So for the next few days, our group prepared to travel about the countryside. The intended path was to travel northwards then go in a circle starting from east to west along the available roads. As for the length of the trip, the total time would be around a few weeks, though supplies would be easily available. And since the roads had been cleared recently, we wouldn’t have to be too concerned with safety. At least to the point that we would have to bring half the garrison. 

However, it was a bit unfortunate that Gaius did not arrive by the time that we were ready to leave. As for the additional personnel coming with us, I had brought along five administrative workers as well as a dozen soldiers, though I asked Gallus to stay behind in Damask. 

Much of Damask’s countryside consisted of villages created from loose collections of farmsteads. As such, we would be unable to visit every single household in the city. Instead, we were more or less conducting an overall survey of the region while I met up with the leaders of the more important settlements. 

“Azel, this isn’t very romantic,” Sekh commented as we were setting up camp in the northeastern area of Damask. 

“What did you expect?” I retorted. “I was pretty clear when I told you that this was a business trip. Or am I going senile half a century early”

“I’m joking,” Sekh laughed while rubbing my head. “Though I’m a bit concerned about you and Minerva.” 

“We’re working too hard?” I asked. 

“Correct,” she answered. “Even though you know this, you’re still continuing as is.”

“Yeah,” I replied stubbornly. “How else are things going to get done?”

“You can still take more breaks,” Sekh chided. “I guess it’s a good thing that we have other people doing night watches though.”

“See, things are working out,” I said triumphantly.

“Sure,” Sekh sighed. “But how about a lap pillow tonight instead of work?”

“Well I did get a lot done today,” I began. “So how about I give you a lap pillow instead?”

“Deal,” Sekh answered almost immediately. “Can you throw in some tail rubs while you’re at it?”

“Sure,” I replied. “But what happened to your plan about getting Minerva to relax?”

“That’s your job,” Sekh pointed out. “Unless you’re suggesting that we should make our relationship extra complicated.”

“You just told me to do less work but proceeded to foist more on me immediately after,” I complained. 

“Azel, pulling Minerva out of paperwork and taking her for a moonlit walk isn’t that hard,” Sekh argued. 

“Fair enough,” I conceded.

“By the way, Zeph and I are going to get more involved with surveying,” Sekh told me. “I think we’ve got enough experience to start doing more now. And that means you two will have more time to rest.”

“Thanks,” I replied. “I appreciate it.”

“I know,” Sekh purred. “I’m looking forward to that lap pillow, dear.”

She even said ‘dear’ with extra emphasis with a coy smile. But knowing how Sekh is, I responded by gently rubbing both her ears down, provoking the usual elated smile from her. 

“Calm down with all the seduction,” I told Sekh playfully. “I would say that you’re getting jealous of Minerva but you’re always like this.”

“Your reactions suck,” Sekh joked. “I want to see the rare blushing Azel.”

“And I want to see the super cute Sekh,” I quipped. “Come on, start blushing and being shy.”

“No can do,” Sekh said with fake sadness. “We already got someone to fill the niche in your harem.”

“Really?” I said with upturned puppy eyes. 

Somehow my acting was good enough because Sekh suddenly blinked, then turned slightly red, before turning away. 

“I win,” I declared triumphantly before pulling Sekh’s head into my chest in a hug. 

Squirming around with her tail waving about wildly, Sekh began to voice her complaints into my body.

“C’mon, I just want to see the cute you. This isn’t fair. We need to have an equivalent exchange please.”

“But you get a lap pillow later,” I pointed out to her.

“Only if you start blushing while you do it,” Sekh said with a pout.

“Fine,” I replied while petting her head. 

Later that night, I proceeded with my promised lap pillow. And as expected, I got to enjoy a whole session of comforting Sekh while she purred happily. Of all the people in the camp, only three saw this sight: Minerva, Zeph, and a soldier. While Zeph just nodded before leaving, Minerva seemed quite intrigued, and the soldier flashed me a thumbs up prior to departing. 

The following days, we continued traveling about the countryside visiting the settlements located there. Overall, the people living in the countryside showed open wariness though there was almost no outright hostility. But the worst thing didn’t happen, I did not get accused of killing someone’s relative or loved one so I would consider it to be quite lucky. 

During one of the nights of the trip, I took Sekh’s advice and invited Minerva out for a romantic moonlit walk. Well, it was working out great until it started raining. And so Minerva and I ended up huddling around the campfire with our bodies pressed together. So we accomplished the romantic part, just with a few extra steps.

When we traveled further southward, we arrived back at the village where we fought off the wolf pelt wearing bandits.

“So we’re back,” Zeph said tiredly when we arrived at the settlement. 

Seeing the mixed feelings on Zeph’s face, Sekh immediately pounced on the girl to cheer her up. As for my moral support, I noticed that Minerva had tightly gripped my hand while wearing a smile on her face. 

“I’m fine,” I assured her.

“That’s good,” Minerva said in relief. “But let’s keep holding hands. Just in case.”

“Mmm,” I hummed back happily. 

As we walked towards the village, we were spotted by the villagers who quickly came out due to recognizing Zeph and I. I don’t think they remembered Justin and Irene, since those two don’t stand out as much as us. I wouldn’t say that I look as notable as Zeph either, but the villagers certainly remembered my armor since I was somewhat considered to be their saviour. 

“Welcome back, we’re so glad to see you,” the headman greeted us when we arrived inside the settlement. 

“Glad to see you as well,” I replied. “Though I’ll have to reintroduce myself this time.”

While the headman gave me a curious look, I began my now well practiced explanation. 

“I see,” the headman commented. “Well I’m still glad that you were there in our hour of need. Do you mind if I tell the rest of the citizens?”

“I think that would be a good idea,” I answered.

Afterwards, the headman led me along to hold a brief meeting with the citizens. Perhaps due to their gratitude for what I had done, the people of the village maintained either a neutral or friendly disposition towards me. In particular, Nico and Helen, the mother and child pair that Zeph almost died rescuing seemed to just be glad that I had come back. 

“So are you still going to teach me how to use a bow?” Nico asked nonchalantly. 

“Um, sure,” I replied before asking my overly well rehearsed question. “You sure that you’re not scared?”

“Why would I be scared?” he retorted. “You’re the one that saved our lives.”

“In that case, has he been a good boy?” I asked Helen.

“He has,” she replied. “Well, he doesn’t understand your situation very well. But I find it hard to believe that you’re some sort of monster so I’m glad Nico is following my thinking.”

“Thank,” I responded. “Though I’m sorry that I won’t be able to stay here for very long. When I have more time, I’ll come back to spend more time with Nico.”

Although I couldn’t start spending time with him immediately, since I had to conduct a report on the village with my group, I managed to free up some time during the next two days. But because it was only two days, I didn’t really teach him too much. Though what’s important is that I could spend time with him. 

“How come you don’t want to teach him?” I asked Zeph as we were leaving the village. 

“Because I’m not the one that he looks up to,” Zeph told me. 

“But you saved his life regardless,” I answered. “I’m sure that he admires you as well.”

“Maybe,” Zeph said wistfully. “But I don’t think I deserve it. I didn’t help anyone. I just made things worse.”

“That’s not really true,” I replied. “I’m not saying this just to make you feel better, but you did manage to save their lives. Even though you could have done it much better.”

“Thanks,” Zeph replied warmly. “I’m glad you didn’t hold back. I don’t know why, but that somehow makes it feel better.”

“I know what you mean,” I commented. 

“I’m really surprised how soft you are with kids though,” Zeph remarked.

“Am I?” I wondered. “I think I’m just treating him the same way a decent person would.”

“No, you’re soft,” Zeph asserted. “Not that it’s a bad thing.”

“You know, maybe I am just that much of a kind soul,” I declared jokingly. 

“That’s not something a kind soul would say,” Zeph laughed.

“I know,” I jested back, provoking quite the concerned look from Zeph. And so I had to spend a few minutes reassuring her that I was perfectly fine. 

The rest of the journey around Damask was fairly uneventful. Well I did receive the usual scared looks from locals after introducing myself, but I would consider this to be an unfortunate norm in my life. 

“Azel, you holding up well?” Sekh asked me as we were camping near the end of our trip. 

“I’m alright,” I answered. “Besides, the villagers are friendly enough in my opinion.”

“I assume that your requirement is that they don’t want to murder you,” Sekh quipped. 

“Somewhat,” I answered with an easy grin. “It doesn’t matter if they don’t like me. I have you and Minerva after all.”

“I’m telling that to her,” Sekh snickered. “She’s going to love it. Well, she’ll also get all shy, but she’ll still be happy.”

“That’s a good plan,” I replied. “But it won’t work if I tell her first.”

Immediately, I got up and went over to Minerva to give her my appreciation. And although I ended up having to explain the situation to her, I did get the promised shy but happy look from her. 

Soon after, our party returned to Damask with reports in hand. But unfortunately, things did not remain unremarkable. Because the day following my return, I was notified that there was someone who wanted to meet with me at the castle yard. And when I asked about the person’s identity, I was told that it was a Stygian knight who had requested my presence. 

“Order at least four guards to accompany me for this,” I ordered the servant who had informed me of the knight. “And make sure that at least one has a mythril shield.”

“We already got ten though we only have one shield available,” she informed me. “Even though he seems to have peaceful intentions, we’re taking precautions.”

“Well I hope that he’s here peacefully too,” I said as I got ready to meet with someone who I may have wronged. 

Sorry for the shorter chapter, I've been attempting to balance college, my social life, writing, and a minor video game addiction. I am working to improve this schedule as time goes on.

13