002 – What even is Magic?
77 5 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's been a week since the attack, and I've learned much more about my situation and the situation of the world. I might've been sent back in time, but not to a time I had known or ever heard about. It might be better to assume, that my memories had been transferred to another place. I didn't make a lot of sense, but given how no one knows about the interstellar war or has even heard of Linnaeulian's, it was the most plausible.

'Humans' were an outdated term, Blue Planet-071 changed the name of the race spontaneously after learning the the name Human was considered primitive in the eyes of other interstellar species. Given that everyone here were 'humans' was the only reason I thought I had traveled through time. I was never good with philosophy so I just left it at that.

So with what I have learned I was indeed a Civilian. Which is a blessing honestly since I don't have many restrictions on where I can go, and what I can do. I have a tattoo with the inscription of CIV-5-13. Which mean's I'm a Civilian with only 5% Elemental Affinity, and 13% Other-grade Affinity. All these affinity things were confusing, but its basically my talent for magic. While magic is indeed interesting, I could duplicate about everything the Heroes can do with a good machine.

In a breakdown, Elemental is base natural resources; Fire, Water, Air, Earth. While Other-grade is any random small thing, often absurd control of a certain thing. To be classified as a Hero you must have at least 100% Affinity total. Which makes for a very varied hero situation. People generally have just one element they are specifically good at and they have to find each combination individually before they can find it. For elemental its easy as there are only four you have to check the other grade is where things get confusing.

Lucky for me I know both of mine, and while I'm not considered special I'm super excited. I've got 5% Earth affinity with 13% Electro-magnetism focused other grade. Ayumi has 7% Wind affinity with 12% Air resistance focused.

She comes around a lot. I figure she must be sneaking out from somewhere since she has a lot better clothes then me, appears out of nowhere, and leaves just as mysteriously. Business is still prospering, if not more with hero advertising, but there is a bit of a corrupt situation where high powered heroes have all of the power to do what they please with little consequence. Plus territorial tension is high. Lots of heroes who want to stay in the positive public eye for benefits so that what they do.

Finally onto what I'm interested in. The Summoners. About 100 years ago, 7 black spikes pierced the planet on each of the landmasses. A lot of people were concerned and shocked, some treating these spikes as the messenger from their specific religion practically worshiping them. The reality took them for a dark turn. These spikes 'summoned' monsters to attack the world. People panicked and the military  tried to stop the horde of monsters. They succeeded in blocking of most of the monsters but in one place it was especially bad , They only managed to slow the horde, before nearly ordering to abandoning the city, but 2 people managed to hold off the horde helping the military fight.

Humanity's First Heroes: Flaming Aria, and Stone Guardian.

Believe me, I think the names are idiotic, but its actually  pretty tame. I will forever wish to remove the Hero Milkman from my brain. Don't ask. Flaming Aria was revealed to be a small time idol, who miraculously gained the ability to breathe fire. He thought he could use the newfound ability for fame, which sparked him getting involved with the horde. Stone Guardian on the other hand was a girl, likely caught in the crossfire of the battle, since forces said she looked young. Eventually she was revealed to be 14 at the time of the attack. Off-topic, but she just started swinging and her hands were covered in a stone-like color, obliterating the enemy forces.

Their powers were studied, but as they were considered "Heroes" the government couldn't do much to them with studying them since they were so in the public eye. A few more mutated/magical people revealed themselves and the government formed an organization and classification for them, in addition to putting down strict rules to follow. The Pyroterra Force. Named after the first heroes supposedly

I personally despise the name, Like why? Why not a more neutral name, but I guess they were trying to honor the heroes or something. I also assume the government kidnapped a few unknown users to experiment on since the transition was way to smooth. It was likely the government knew already of the mutated/magical humans and were preparing for an outbreak of mutated/magical people, but the monster horde must've changed that point of view quickly.

Back to the main topic, Flame Aria had 78% Fire Affinity, with 26% Singing focused Affinity. Which was already past Hero range. Stone Guardian though, was a lot higher, some claim she was just innately talented, but I agree with the side she maximized her ability due to the traumatic situation. She had 90% Earth Affinity, with 42% Gravity focused Affinity. Which is a shocker in my eyes, Being able to innately control Gravity? Way to OP. Even I'm jealous of that.

No good deed goes unpunished though, Stone Guardians powers crippled her. Having been forced to join the military to get rid of overwhelming hordes showed that a cost came with using your abilities too much. It started reflecting back in on itself. The Earth reflection started to cause her muscles to crumble, adding on the gravity which started to crush her bones, it was a drastic turn of events. Sadly she died when she was 20, barely living for 6 years. A few other heroes had the same effect though not to an overwhelming degree like hers, but now any percent above 75% is considered dangerous to the user and they must be constantly monitored.

The Hero range test is like this; 1% - 25% Civilian, 26% - 50% Supporter, 51% - 75% Hero, 76% or more is Monitored by Pyroterra.

Sorry for the dump of information brain, I'm reading through my notes so I don't forget, and this isn't a meta moment.

That's a figure of speech, he isn't on to me, I think?

Lastly, Affinities can be trained the more you use them. there's a fine line between training and reflecting, but reflecting with such low affinity barely affects Civilians.

I don't know why Ayumi is so nice to me, I mean, She keeps bringing me history books since I said I like them, but we've only been friends for a week so I suspect she want a favor from me soon, but as it hasn't happened yet, I'll keep asking for things shamelessly.

 

4