Paradise, Part 3
2k 11 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4

 

Blood was rushing in my ear as I heard the sound of the my own heart beat. Not of overexertion or the need of more oxygen but rather the anger and the irritation that continued to build up in me.

 

Where was Ace?

 

To be honest, I knew inside that he would be fine. The Second Division Commander of the Whitebeard Pirates would face no physical trouble in a world as weak as this. Still, the lack of my burning sun made me wish for the rays once again. I’ve already been through the hard part of the journey, couldn’t Diana have at least brought him near me?

 

*sigh* I should just get this over with search for someone that actually has worth and information.

 

Holding the pathetic man by the throat with my hand, I saw him give up as he began rapidly tapping my wrist as a sign of submission.

 

Dropping him onto the floor I lowered myself to his eye level before beginning to talk.

 

Mafia: *cough* *cough* Why…why would you do all this?

 

Me: I’m here to obtain some papers you see and I think you can help me do this. Besides, just a question but why are you all Japanese? This is France. Shouldn’t it be some French people or maybe some Italians running the mafia here?

 

The middle aged (but quite well built) Japanese man wearing a black on black suit and tie looked quite pathetic for the moment as he caught his breath. Looking more carefully, I could see his hairline retreating quite far. So there was still no cure for the hair problem after all these years?

 

Mafia: One at a time please.

 

Me: Fine then, let’s start with business. I need to forge some papers and I would think that sneaky underworld dealers like you would know how to forge them.

 

Mafia: … IF THAT’S WHAT YOU WANT THEN WHY WOULD YOU COME IN HERE AND KI—

 

*slice*

 

I held up a severed hand that was cut with my Devil fruit. In reality there was no damage as I can simply reattach it but he didn’t know that. He would feel all the pain there was to losing a limb.

 

Mafia: AARGGHHHH

 

Me: Please shut up and answer my question

 

Mafia: Teacher! Teacher! *snivel* PLeassseee!

 

Teacher? Who could this teacher figure be huhhh? Could he be the head honcho of this yakuza group?

 

Me: Now now. I can give this hand back to you if you would so kindly shut up and help me get my documents. If you do so, then maaayyybbeeee I’ll leave peacefully. How about it?

 

Skill ‘CALM MIND’ forcefully shut down ‘Quirk’ Sans after sensing an Error

ERROR INPUT: CRUELTY LEVEL —> BEYOND NORMAL

— Searching Cause…

—-Searching Cause…

—-Found: Quirk Activation (Automatic: Genocide RUN-Fixed-)

 

Great, now what?

 

‘Skill CALM MIND’ has Overridden Side Function of Quirk ‘Sans’

Quirk Mutation —-> Simple Function Added

Quirk Mode: Basic, Genocide.

Activation will become Manual or Automatic depending of level of Bloodlust, anger (rage), and shock.

Warnings: Activation of Genocide will result in high possibility of (temporary) personality alteration to sadist, excessive cruelty, high LOVE, high love, and misuse of Determination for the duration of the mode.

 

(AN: For the entirety of the previous series, the skill ‘Calm Mind’ has been unbreakable. This is because it’s a unique gift bestowed by ??, or Old Geezer as the twins call him. Nothing has ever fazed her or affected her mind before thanks to this skill, basically making her immune to mind control or deterioration. Ironically, this time it is her own quirk that has affected her like this. If this was a naturally given quirk, Calm Mind would have ate away the negative mind effects for breakfast but it’s not. Sans is a quirk given by ‘Diana’s authority which is nearly equal in power but a higher influence (due to more interactions) in the mortal realm as the Immortal Contract. Thus, Calm Mind can only make a compromise in this situation by splitting the Quirk into two forms. Basic (normal) and genocide (the crazy shit but also going bloodthirsty). For new readers who don’t understand what I’m saying…it’s not really important for this story but if you want to know more, feel free to read my previous works to Understand.)

 

Like a switch had suddenly been turned off, I felt deflated at my actions. I didn’t really feel bad, no, but I felt as if my actions have been…inefficient. Yes, that was the word.

 

The Calm Mind called me ‘Genocide Mode?’ I guess that was a fitting name considering the actions I took although in reality it was nothing new. Still, it was interesting to see that my quirk had managed to change my personality to such a degree.

 

Sure, I didn’t mind killing or fighting but I was never bloodthirsty. I never fought without purpose or for the sake of fighting. I fought because I had orders to follow and freedom to search for. I killed because others stood in my way, not because I stood in front of others.

 

Mafia: Wha… teacher… *snivel* Ok…I’ll tell you. Please don’t kill me.

 

Me: Hmm…Oh yeah, you were still here. My bad.

 

Reattaching his arm I made him stand up before putting out my hand.

 

Me: Now that I gave you that hand, will you be handy? Hahaha...*awkward silence*

Wtf is happening? Such a horrible pun!

 

POV Ace

 

This world was…interesting to say the least. Dumped into the middle of nowhere after spending whoever knows how long in that everlasting darkness. I couldn’t really say this new place fit me but I’ve been doing…not bad. Setting random fires here and there across this city, dine and dashing, and escaping from some dudes who had possibly the worst fashion sense in the world.

 

One time it got really close as they handcuffed me while I was sleeping but I melted away the cuffs as I made a run for it. Thankfully it seems like the concept for Sea stone doesn’t exist here, or Devil Fruits at all. All they’ve been yelling is ‘Fire Quirk’ or something like that.

 

Truthfully, I understood nearly nothing. The language they spoke here was weird and the type of inhabitants even more so. Sure, most people were normal humans but what were these elderich abominations walking down the streets so casually? Not to mention that everyone seemed to be mad at how they were more offended (pervers ~!) Than a literal hostage holding guy who killed a couple of people down the street. What type of broken logic was this?

 

Everywhere I go, all I got was a ‘Oui Oui’, ’qu'est ce que tu dis’ or a ‘Je ne parle pas japonais. Désolé’ in which I had no clue what that meant. Some folks just started randomly began yelling at me before trying to assault me so I just burned them up a bit as a ‘Fuck You Too’ before running away to avoid those tight wearing fools.

 

(AN: I’m at the stage of Duolingo for French beginner course. Apologies to French speakers for butchering your beautiful language. I’m really trying to learn btw. Edit, 2 months later: I passed the French exam!! I’m qualified for some actual small talk & business now :D hahaha!!! Quad-lingual power!)

 

It’s been some time since and I was doing my usual thing of Dine and Dashing when I met her. Of course I could never forget her no matter what or how she disguises herself as.

 

Under the dark light of the moon I saw her running deep into the shadows. Dressed head to toe as not to show a single bit of skin. Wearing a mask that covered her lower face and a set of headphones. Finally seeing her again, I was almost brought down to my knees in joy but I looked into the color of observation to make sure.

 

The bright and innocent color of pink and the fiery but cold white and blue underneath…it was her. It had to be her.

 

Ignoring the consequences once again I flew up, exploding into fire, as I caught up to her. Jumping down between the dark alley to find her crushing the head of someone who just looked like a scumbag.

 

I didn’t even manage to touch the ground as suddenly Syrup teleported directly in front of me before squeezing me (with haki) in a crushing hug…in which I returned. She held on so tightly and dug her head right in before making some sounds that sounded like a mix of sobbing and yelling.

 

Syrup: Ace…

 

I didn’t respond but rather lifted her up a bit before putting my face into her hair and breathing in her familiar scent. I couldn’t resist a small smile at the familiar smell.

 

Me: Miss me?

 

With her current looks, she looked like a little girl so I couldn’t really resist petting her head and messing up her hair which led to her pouting, her head still on my chest. She looked up to meet my eyes and I looked down to see hers. Her impossibly wide and…huh, blue?

 

She blinked before the blue was gone and replaced back with the familiar shade of orange that belonged to my beloved.

 

We just floated there for a while just embracing each other after so so long. So long after that god-arriving incident where she forced us into this god-knows-where place. Just being in the embrace and presence of each other finally knowing that she was safe…and that she was here with me.

 

Of course, even these moments had to be ruined by the fools.

 

Fool 1: There they are!

 

I heard a rush of footsteps running to our location. *sigh* This was just going to be like the Marine situation wasn’t it? No matter how many I beat up or kill, they just never get the message to stay away and leave us alone.

 

I was planning on fighting my way through the numbers (as I heard some on the roofs above us as well) when my little Syrup smiled a bit before reassuring me with a nod.

 

Syrup: Shortcut

 

One word was all she said and suddenly we were gone. To be more precise, it didn’t feel like we moved at all but rather the world around us changed as suddenly we were in a rather lavishly decorated room (or suite?) filled with…well…pretty much everything.

 

Was this a high-class inn? This looked quite a lot like how nobles would like to decorate their rooms. How did she even afford all of this? Judging by how some of her clothes and stuff animals were laid around the room, this was hers for sure.

 

I didn’t really get to ask that question as Syrup separated herself from she before bombarding me with questions. It took a while for both of us to catch up but eventually we got onto the same page.

 

Me: How do you speak the language here? I couldn’t understand a single thing they were saying.

 

Syrup: It’s actually more strange that in our world, everyone speaks the same language despite the natural separation all across the world due to the blues, Red Line, and the natural flow in the New World. As for the language, I think I got lucky with being a French character. Or rather Mama was and thus so are all her children.

 

Me: Wait, what do you mean Syrup?

 

Syrup: Never mind that It’s not really important. The conclusion is that I’m able to, currently, speak 3 languages which are French, English and Japanese while able to bastard my way through a couple more.

 

Me: I’ve never heard of those languages…like ever

 

Syrup: Japanese and English are the two languages you should technically be able to speak. I just happened to mimic a couple strong attacks from others who were based on other nationalities which is the main reason of my bastardized languages. Anyway Ace, we’ve got a lot of work to do.

 

Me: Work? What work? We’re Pirates remember? We don’t do work.

 

Syrup: Well, unfortunately Pirates don’t exactly function like we did in this world so we can’t really do that unless we’re planning on pioneering something that will probably be more bad than good for us.

 

She began summoning piles upon piles of paper out of nowhere (her inventory as she told me once) as she organized them a bit before showing me.

 

Syrup: Heros, Villains, Vigilantes and common folk. Heroes are a beacon of hope to society, Villains are the darkness that actively seek out to harm others. Vigilantes are good villains…or that’s what the world wants us to think.

 

She pointed at piles upon piles of words that I couldn’t read. Why was she so dramatic anyway? Still…cute. I pet the little girl’s head once more before pulling her up onto my lap.

 

She squirmed a little to get comfortable but didn’t complain about being sat on my lap before she continued to explain.

 

Syrup: Anyway, if we go Pirate, we’ll become labeled as either a Villain or a Vigilante. Either way, that’s going to get the government and the Heroes on our tails 24/7 which is annoying.

 

I nodded in agreement.

 

Syrup: As for Heroes…no fucking thank you *bonk* Ow!

 

Me: Language young lady. *smirk*

 

She glared at me before melting into a smile (which was quite dangerous for my heart) as she grabbed my left hand before hugging the fire out of it.

 

Syrup: So anyway, we’re just going to make use of this corrupted world. Kind of like…hmmm…I guess the Shichibukai (7 Warlords) would be the most similar thing I can think of…not that I’m planning on being hired by them or sanctioned or anything. Unlike the World Government, it’s us that will be more influential over them than them over us.

 

Me: So you’re going to threaten the world to leave you alone?

 

Syrup: Not me. A persona of me, or rather this disguise that I’m wearing. I have no plans on being swarmed outside or living a celebrity or anti-celebrity life. But even before we do that, we require funds. Great great amount of funds if we wish to bend the rules of this world to our wishes?

 

Me: Please don’t tell me that those World Nobles are here as well.

 

Syrup: No, but this world is just as corrupted and can be done so with money. A combination of wealth, power, and fear would be enough to grant us whatever we wish in the world. In our case…it’s freedom without restriction. To never have to answer to any form of power again.

 

Man…she’s been thinking a lot about this hasn’t she?

 

Me: Alright then. Well you probably already know that I have no mind for business. You’ve got any ideas?

 

She smiled as she simply stood up and walked to the door where the bell rang (perfect timing). She opened the door revealing a very old man wearing a doctor suit and some weird glasses.

 

Kyudai: Hello. I’m doctor Kyudai, pleasure to meet you. I’m here to discuss about the Quirk Singularity theory…and your…umm…companion?

 

Syrup: Girlfriend

 

Kyudai: *cough* no…I should hold my judgement, could be an age related quirk, anyway. She mentioned something about…Devil Fruits.

 

I turned to look at Syrup who was suddenly holding a very familiar looking fruit. Not a devil fruit…but an artificial one. SMILES as the world had called it. An Apple looking fruit with with colorful dots all around it.

 

Syrup: 8.5 Billion people in the world and one out of five of them are quirkiness in this discriminating and unforgiving world. That’s at least 1.7 billion people who are desperate for this fruit Ace.

 

She smiled as she took out another sheet of paper.

 

Me: *haha* No way…

 

Syrup: I planned on ransoming it to Caesar, Doflamingo, or Kaido for a couple billion beri as I did steal it from Caesar but I never got the chance.

 

SECRET! SMILE RECIPE: HOW TO CREATE ARTIFICIAL DEVIL FRUITS FOR

-By Caesar Clown

 

Kyudai: Ms. Charlotte has told me the basics of what this fruit could do. It just seems like it needs a bit of tweaking and a method of filtering out the failures before we can profit off of this world. After all, I owe everything to you Ms. Charlotte.

 

62