Chapter 2.11
73 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pok turned out to be a pretty backwards little village, but at least its villagers were friendly. Granted, outside major cities where adventurers were somewhat more common, adventuring teams like Jack’s instantly became celebrities every time they passed through rural little villages and towns. They were the subject of attraction in Lendt, so it was a given they were met with the same level of interest in Pok.

That was why the three instantly found themselves encircled by a group of wide-eyed villagers. Even Nole had been accorded a fair level of respect, once Ava let it slip that the man had a Class and Skills. He had been escorted, alongside the carriage to a barn, since they didn’t really have stables.

And that was how they an ad-hoc barbecue was started inside the Village Head’s yard. The man apparently had a stone barbecue and the caretaker of its property assured them it would be no issue for them to be hosted there, as long as they didn’t enter the house without his say so. So they sat down at a table, while the villagers split themselves between different functions. Some were tending to the fire, the meat and the food. Some were bringing over bottles and opening barrels. And some sat around them in a circle, peppering them with questions.

Jack noticed that the ones sitting around them were the better dressed ones. Perhaps a dozen man and women, from young to middle aged. The crowd from before had been larger, but most of them had stayed behind when they entered the fenced yard.

Even in poorer villages social divisions exist.

Though he was amused to notice, once again, that a big part of the villagers’ interest came not because they were adventurers, but because two out of three of them weren’t humans. Jack received his fair share of questions, especially from the female side of the audience, but Brom and Ava too the cake.

“So you faced down an ogre? Just the three of you?” a man asked Ava.

“Well, there were five of us then.” She said and only Jack and Brom saw the shade of a sad smile on her face. “But yeah.”

“Is it hard to be an adventurer?” a younger man asked. “I guess you really need a Class, right?”

“Not necessarily.” Brom said. “As long as you start with easier mission, one can start by will alone. If the correct effort is expended and one keeps going, a Class will normally follow in the wake of that decision.”

Jack decided to intervene before the younger man decided he was done with farming.

“That being said, there is danger involved. Speaking from experience, I wish I knew how important training was before I started. If anyone wants to do this, maybe start training with a sword or axe first.”

He saw a lot of shaking heads and pondering looks and thought Pok might just have its first adventurers in a month or two. Or a few more broken dreams.

Yet that was the moment when a man ran into the yard, breathing hard. It was the same one that had gone for the Village Head a while back.

“Good- good day. Again. Uhm, the Village Head wanted me to tell you that he will be with you shortly. And he also wanted me to ask from where do you come from. So as to prepare a meal and a vintage more for your liking.”

Ava laughed and opened her mouth to answer when some muttering came from behind the fence. It sounded angry and it made the man turn around to yell at whoever interrupted him.

“Oy, pie down, you! Our Village Head has been nothing but good to those of us that support him. Maybe if yod show some support a well, you’d be rewarded too. It’s none of our fault that you don’t know how life works. Now, shoo! Get out of here.” He shouted, before turning back to Jack. “My apologies, sir. Every village has its malcontents. We have our too.”

“No apologies needed.” Jack smiled, but that opened his eyes some more.

It seems that this village wasn’t perfectly in tune. Some villagers were dissatisfied. And it sounded like the mayor had a habit of centralizing power. Some villagers liked it, some don’t.

Of course, that doesn’t automatically make him bad. I guess that’s just… life.

Helmrest really is lucky to have Elia.

“Well, I’m not from anywhere you’d know and neither is Brom.” Ava said. “But right now, we’re all living in Helmrest.”

“Helmrest.” The man said, in awe.

“You heard of it?” Jack asked. “It’s to the south-east.”

“Oh, I know of it, sir. It, uhm, battled with Amenor. And… and you’re its adventurers, right? The ones that led the charge.”

“We are. I know Amenor is influential around these parts. Is that going to be a problem?”

“No, sir.” The man said, shaking his head vigorously. “Not at all. We might become part of Amenor, the Village Head is certainly thinking about it, but that’s just because it would be better for the village. We have nothing against you personally.”

That made sense, in a realistic sort of way. These people might be better with Amenor, if the kingdom only uses them for taxes and resources. Then again, is Amenor’s war machine decided it wants fresh cannon fodder, Jack thought that adventuring might actually be the safer way to live your life.

“Good.” Ava smiled. “In that case, I like meat. Nothing fancy.”

“I am partial to ale.” Brom gravelled.

“And I like anything, so tell your Village Head not to worry.” Jack smiled.

The man nodded, relieved and without waiting for one more second dashed back the way he came.

They spent the rest of their night very much like the way they had spent it before. The talked and ate and drank, though they made sure not to get too inebriated, until the fire died out and the villagers left, letting them sleep in the yard. Nole himself slept in the carriage, they told them. The Village Head had been detained and would only make it to meet them the very next morning. That was fine with them. The villagers of Pok had been pleasant enough. All was well, Jack thought.

At least, that was what he thought until he heard a ‘pshh’ sound coming from next to him.

Jack’s hand went to his axe, while a Spell armed itself in his mind when he saw the head staring at him over the fence. It looked like it belonged to a middle-aged man, looking at him intensely. The very next moment, the man whose head belonged to pulled himself over the fence, landing in the yard and beckoned him over.

“Uhm, yes?” Jack asked, stepping forward.

“Shhh.” He said. “They’ll heat us.”

“Who will?” Jack asked again, though he lowered his voice.

“The Village Head’s sycophants.” The man scowled. “Not that the by actually has the Class. Just the title.”

“I see. And your problem with him is because he is a boy or because his Classless?”

“Oh, don’t be like that lad. I don’t have a problem with you, don’t I? No, his age’s not the matter, though I wouldn’t have minded someone with more experience. Well, experience here. From what I’ve heard, that boy has already been wandering around more villages and they all fell to Amenor willingly.”

Jack decided to file that for later.

“Then it’s his Class?”

“No. The former Village Head lacked the Class too. Pok ain’t big enough for that. But mark my words, lad, that boy has a Class. And it’s a bad one!” the man said, before remembering he was supposed to be quiet.

Out of the corner of his eye, Jack saw Brom look at them, hand on his axe. He gave him a discreet shake of the head. The man seemed harmless, for all he came to ‘warn’ them.

Well, harmless, but quite a bit destitute. He looked shabby, no shoes, patched pants, with a robe for a belt. He only had a short tunic on, patches as well and dirty. He had grey hair, frayed, but looking like it was at least a little bit combed.

“You think I’m a vagrant.” The man suddenly said., sounding sad. “No, don’t deny it. I don’t mint. I now how I look. But that’s why I wanted to warn you. Don’t believe this Village Head has been a blessing to Pok. Oh, a few thrived, those that kissed that boy where the sun don’t shine. But do you know how? By the coin and produce he took from us. The rest of the villagers, those of us that haven’t bend down for him. He hasn’t made the village thrive. He just took from most and gave to those boot-lickers.”

“Then why not take power back? We did something similar back home.”

“You notice I’m old, yeah. Well, most of us not satisfied with the new rule are. The young are all with him. The young and the strong, because if that boy has one talent, it’s how to pick your friends. We tried to ‘express our dissatisfaction’, but we got beaten down.”

“I… see.”

“You think there are two parts to this story.” The old man snorted. “I know how you feel, lad. There aren’t. The Village Head are the strong. The rest of us are the weak. That’s just how it is. Pok will become part of Amenor, just like he wants. And, well… Let’s see them young folks grin when they’re being taken off to war.”

“I’ll look into this. If what you said is true, then we’ll-“

“No, no. You think I told you all this to get involved?” the man said, looking disbelieving, before harking out a bit of laughter. “You’ve got kind instinct, lad. But no. I’m telling you this because you need to know what kind of man the Village Head is. So when he comes to you tomorrow, all honey and milk, you’ll know he’s after something. Mark my words, lad, he’ll be after something.”

Jack went to sleep that night feeling a little confused. The man could have been exaggerating or have had an agenda of his own. He could have even been crazy. But that didn’t ring like the truth. No, Jack had not truth-seeking Skill or Spell, but he thought the man was honest.

At least, from his perspective. Was this simply a rough way of managing a village? Two sides with conflicting views and interests? Or was the reigning head of Pok just an entitled asshole. He could have been. But if he was… should they take an interest? Their mission was clear, finf Mrk and get him home. If it truly was that kind of a situation, should they intervene?

No answer come to him, though sleep finally did, after an hour or so of soul gazing.

The next morning started in force. The three had just finished waking and washing up, when villagers started streaming into the yard. Without any kind of direction or ask, just like the day before, they started to split themselves into groups. Those who took care of breakfast, those who set the table and those who entertained the guests.

“The Village Head will be with us shortly.” The runner from last night said. “He apologizes for the ate appearance, but he only managed to return to Pok late last night.

“That’s alright. And I apologize as well, I didn’t catch your name.” Jack said.

“Oh.” He flustered. “It’s Anton, sir. No need to apologize, please.”

“You are a caretaker, I take it, Anton?” Brom said. “Or the Village Head’s assistant?”

“No, no. I just help where I can. Nothing like an assistant, sir dwarf. I’m just-“

“My right hand man.” A voice said.

Jack looked up and saw the owner of that voice walked through the gate, entering the yard.

He looked up and froze.

“Mr. Village Head.” Anton said, getting up, alongside the other villagers sitting down. “Death’s Bane, this is the Pok’s Village Head, Louis Winnow.”

Jack felt his blood run cold. It was a feeling not unlike the ne he felt when he almost blasted Penor into bits. But it wasn’t his magic broiling inside him, threatening to push him over the edge. It was himself.

Keep it together, Jack. Keep it together.

The last time he had seen the young man was when he had left Helmrest with his family. The Winnows. After Elia won her position. Before Amenor came and attacked. Before it all started.

There wasn’t a smirk on his face, but a casual smile. He was dressed finely, finer than he was when he had been a mere son of a Village Head. He walked confidently towards them, as the other villagers either bowed or nodded their heads.

He also couldn’t help but notice that quite a few of the women were looking at him with something akin to desire.

For Louis. Louis. How?!

“And Mr. Village Head, these are-“

“Oh, I know them Anton.” The young man smiled. “That’s why I asked you to ask them from where they come. I wanted to be sure, though a name as Jack is rare enough to be proof in and of itself. Yes, I know them. We come from the same place after all.”

He stopped, a few feet away from them, taking them in pleasantly.

Jack noticed the other villagers smiling themselves and wondered if they had any idea in how much danger they would be if he actually lost it. If he lost his temper and went all out. Because, given who was standing before him, he was pretty sure Brom and Ava would join him instead of stop him.

“Jack, Brom and Ava. I suppose there’s only one thing left to do now.” He said, abruptly walking forward a few steps.

And hugging Jack.

It was a normal embrace. A casual, friendly one. It caused Jack’s mind completely shut down nonetheless. His hand had been on his axe, a Spell had been on his mind. And… nothing happened.

“My friends, do allow your Village Head, some privacy. After all, it isn’t every day that I get to meet new friends. Tend to the food and make merry, but it will be a little while before we rejoin you.” He told the others.

Anton, nodding respectfully, ushered the others away and left them, as Louis requested, their privacy.

“I guess I there I something left unsaid.” He told them.

“What game is this?” Jack growled, snapping off from his trance.

“Game. Yes, I supposed I did play games before. Jack. Ava. Brom. I want to say… I am sorry.”

“…whaaaaat?” Ava said, as disbelieving as Jack himself.

“I know how I have acted. And I take full responsibility for my actions. Please understand, I do not say this to act the victim, but growing up with my father… it made me learn the wrong lessons. My mother as well, though it was her indulgence rather than willful actions that made be grow as I did. That being said…” he breathed “I am completely at fault. It was my decisions to act as I did. It was my decision to torment you and Lola.”

“You have no right to speak of her!” Jack burst out.

“Jack.” Bom warned, eyes on the villagers.

“No.” Louis said. “He is right. I have no right. I will not speak of her. I will admit that what I did was… was rape. I raped her. There is no way I can apologize now. I have no right to. I simply wanted to apologize to you, for how I acted. And for how my family acted. I can promise you, though, that I have changed.”

The way he was speaking, his words. It sounded just like someone who felt remorse at such a deep level that it brought a different timbre to their own voice. Even his expressions, the cadence of his words. Everything. But to believe him…

Can I believe him? And even if I do, can I forgive him?

“You’ve changed, but you’re still taking this village to Amenor.” Ava countered him, saving Jack from having to speak.

“Oh, it that what the general fear is?” he smiled. “No, I’m not looking to bring anyone to Amenor. I’ve broken with my father and Amenor both.”

“Then the other villages?” Jack asked. “I’ve heard that you ‘wondered’ around other villages. And that Amenor now claims them all.”

Louis closed his eyes and breathed in deeply. When he opened them, he was still smiling, but had a tired expression on his face.

“Gods save me from the elderly, be they family or neighbors. I see you’ve met my ‘opposition’. Yes, I have been around other villages. I have even led a couple, despite my age. But they fell to Amenor, despite my efforts, not because them. And I learned my lesion from them. The kingdom despises direct rebellion. They take those villages first. So, in Pok, I didn’t do what I usually did, which is to flaunt my independence. Right now, I’m playing a game, trying to take a page out of Helmrest’s book. I’m negotiating and eternally being dissatisfied at their terms. I’m hoping they’ll either leave us alone or I can obtain promises, such as no forced conscription and lower taxes. We’ll see.” He shrugged.

“And… what, we’re supposed to just believe you’ve had a change of heart and decided to be the savior of villages everywhere?” Jack archly asked.

“I… can’t tell you what to think. I can only ask you to listen and maybe… have lunch?”

They were wary, but they accepted. After all, Jack’s entire team was founded on the basis of second chances. He hated the thought that he might be forced to give Louis one, but… he could at least have lunch and listen.

So the young man talked. About how they reached Amenor. And how his father immediately started to lick the king’s boots. How the King who was just a |Lord|, actually, sent his father out to make friends with other villages. Win their trust. Become their leader. And ultimately convince them to enter Amenor’s shadow.

He told them how he saw this and became disgusted by the practice. About who he saw himself becoming. How he left and sough to use the same technique, bud in a good way. To lure villages away from Amenor. And about how he failed. Again and again. Until he reached Pok.

“And… that’s pretty much my story up until now. It was a gradual process. I had to actually leave my father’s shadow before I started to think at what I have done. And come to terms with my regrets.”

Now, Jack was no stranger to the manipulations the Winnows were knows for. He had already cast |Greater Resistance: Mental Manipulation| and |Dispel Compulsion| on himself. On Ava and Brom too. Six Spells and he didn’t notice any sign of Louis seeming more of an asshole to either himself or his friends.

Well, he still is an asshole. But I’m guessing not an evil one anymore?

“I’ve heard, by the way. About what happened to Moran. I’m sorry. I knew him before… Well. I’m just happy he saw the light before I did.”

Ava looked like she wanted to slap him there for a second, but nodded in the end.

“And Mrk?” he asked. “I’ve called him names too. I would have wanted to apologize.”

“Mrk’s… no longer with us.” Jack said. “Perhaps he will again, in the future.”

“You still don’t trust me. That’s fine.” The young man smiled. “Now, is there any way I can help you?”

“We would appreciate knowledge of the land.” Brom said. “We are on a mission here.”

“Yeah. A secret mission.” Ava piped up.

“…yes. Are there any other settlements north or north-west from here? Roads? Monsters?”

“Uhm… no. No settlements that I’m aware of for quite some distance. I think, going in that direction, the nearest are all the way towards the mountains. No monsters either. It’s good land.” He shrugged. “It’s just that nobody ever claimed it.”

“Think Amenor might?” Jack asked.

“Maybe. But that would be over stretching it, even for Amenor.”

“Are there any races that we should be worried of?” Brom asked.

“There are humans. And if you go far enough, until the mountains, you’ll find ogres. There’re also old wife’s tales about trolls, but nobody has actually seen one. Other than that… maybe you’ll find some individual or another, but no settlements that I’m aware of.”

“And no monsters?” pressed Jack.

“No. Again, maybe this or that, but nothing big. It’s really good land.” He sighed, before he narrowed his eyes. “Wait. There’s a dungeon there, isn’t it?”

Nope. Not even close.

“No. We do have a mission in the general area, but it’s a reconnaissance one. Some rare monsters may have been spotted.” Jack lied.

“Oh. Well, if you find anything dangerous, please tell me too. The people of Pok arenlt exactly fighters.”

“Will do.” Jack said, looking at the sun’s position. “That being said, we should really be going.”

“True.” Brom said, standing up.

“Wait! No, how about something else to eat? Or drink?”

“I would have been the first to take you on that offer, but we do need to get going.” Ava said.

“No? We’ll I hoped you’d reconsider, but I can’t force you.” the young man laughed.

Jack looked at the sun again. Then again, he could stay for another bite to eat. They had travel rations, but good food was good food. So, they sat down again, just for a little while. The sun moved in the sky again, before they thought to leave. As much as they didn’t want to, they had to.

“Guess you won’t reconsider this time, will you?” Louis smiled. “Well, I understand.”

Jack looked ta the sun again and-

Wait. Why am I doing this.

He used his Spell. Luis hadn’t been manipulating him. He seemed honest. Then why did he have this familiar feeling now? He though beck to what Luis said.

‘Guess you won’t reconsider this time, will you?’

There was something wrong here.

‘Guess you won’t reconsider this time, will you?’

Almost.

He could feel his Spell working against it.

‘Guess you won’t |Reconsider| this time, will you?’

That’s it.

He heard twin gasps from his friends as he stood up, axe drawn, with a hand aimed straight at Louis’s face.

“For how long have you been doing this?” Jack asked. “And how?”

“|Indentured Guards|.” The young man smiled and dodged as Jack’s Bolt flew by his ear.

“Do that again and you’ll regret it. Now answer me.”

Five men almost sprinted next to Louis, trying to shield him, but not willing to step in the path of Jack’s Spells. Ava aiming her bow and Brom drawing his axe also helped in keeping them back.

“How? I’ve got a Class, that’s how. I might not be a |Village Head|, but I don’t have my ambitions set on becoming just that. So, I became a |Leader| instead.” He smiled.

“I was a |Leader|. I don’t think you are one.”

“Yes. You were, weren’t you, Jack?” he laughed. “Well, I guess you got me there. But my Class is similar. As for what exactly it is… I think I’ll hold on to that piece of information.”

“He used the same Skill as his father.” Jack told his friends. “|Reconsider|. Be on the lookout for mind manipulation. So, daddy’s boy after all, huh? Welp!”

“My father is weak.” He cursed. “I told the truth when I named him a boot-licker. You think just because I learned a Skill from him, that ties us together? It was my merit for learning a Skill. Mine!”

“Oh, I get it.” Ava chirped. “You’re not just a different type of asshole. You’re a new and improved asshole. Makes much more sense.”

“Laugh all you want. I will become greater than he ever was. Him, with his small ambitions of ruling a town or a city. I will become our King’s right hand.”

“By being the wider asshole. Yes, we’ve already cleared that.” Ava nodded.

“Face it, Louis. You’re just an apple of the old tree.” Jack grinned.

“Oh, am I? You had no idea I was playing you, didn’t you? That Spell of yours didn’t work. Because I’ve got |Expected Behavior|. It doesn’t work on you, it works on me. Makes me act how you’d want me to act if you had to believe me. Did my father get that Skill? No. I did!”

“Well, thank you for telling us.” Jack smiled. “Now, if you don’t mind, I think we’ll be leaving.”

“No, I think you won’t.” Luis smiled and motioned to his men.

Who hesitated in stepping forward.

“What are you waiting for? Get them!”

“Anton, you seemed alright.” Jack told him. “But if you test us, I will set you on fire.”

“Why are you even working for him, anyway?” Ava asked.

“I… I have to. Please, just come quietly.” The man almost begged.

“Unlikely.” Brom muttered.

“Look, it doesn’t matter if there’s five of-“

“Twenty!” Louis roared.

It was probably a Skill, but a group of men entered the yard, flanking them.

“Twenty. Amenor had hundreds. It doesn’t matter. We have Classes, you don’t. There’s no need to die or get hurt for this asshole.”

“Ah, but this is where you are mistaken, Jack.” Louis said. “My men don’t have Classes. But Amenor’s soldiers do. At least, those of them on their way here. Did you really think I wouldn’t call for help? Especially with the bounty on your head?” he laughed.

Huh.

“Word to the wise, Louis? It’s not really smart to tell your enemy they’re on a time limit.”

“What?”

“|Wind Orb|!”

3