Chapter 1: The routine
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep

beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep

beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep

 

Subject 1408 finally opened his eyes to the same sight of a small white room, he glanced over to his right and saw a bright red beeping button. Its dim glow and accompanying beeps finally concluded once he reached over and pressed it. At that moment a robotic voice rang out from a speaker above the door

 

"Good morning subject 1408 please prepare yourself for today's experimentation" 

 

1408 crawled off of his mattress though it would be more accurate to call it a bag of cloth. As he was provided no sheets the process was simply starting up they then turned to the left to find a change of clothes lying next to his door. they were the same as the ones he was wearing now, they were always the same.

 

A simple white shirt and pants with its only distinction being a black barcode with the numbers 1408 stitched above. He made sure to silently but quickly change as the scientist hated being delayed for experiments. There were a few times he trying to make delays in his prep but the scientist response was always very brutal and he quickly learned never to delay them long.

 

As he finished putting on his "uniform" he quickly walked over to the now silent button and pressed it, looking above his door not to the speaker but to the camera next to it. 

 

"I'm ready" he replied emotionless.

 

*Click* with that sound the door flung open revealing a man in a white lab coat and with a cold glare. He silently motion for 1408 to follow, to which he swiftly stepped out of his room, in this situation it was best just to go along.

 

As the two walked through the dim hallway in silence 1408 nervously glanced as they passed each door. He had already been through many experiments in those rooms some simple and painless but just as many better fit in the description of torture. However, through repetition, he now knew that only one type of experiment was processed per room. First, they pass the sample room it was one of the better ones all that happened there was your blood and skin was sampled. Simple and relatively harmless very rarely with the samples taken in a painful way.

 

Next up was the physical examination room this was one of the more brutal locations forced to run until he collapsed then forced to lift until he heard his bones and limbs tear which would then be repaired and finally forced to endure increasingly powerful blows in order as the scientist put it "see how durable he was" unfortunately for him they thought he was highly durable. It was an endless cycle of being healed, beaten, and then healed again.

 

Finally, they passed the special abilities room, or at least that's what he heard the scientist say it was. It was truly an odd place the test varied and he always went in there at least once a week and asked to do a new and usually painful experiment. However, unlike the other room, 1408 could never grasp what they were trying to achieve there with those tests. They were always so varied there the only commonality was in their oddness. 

 

As they approached it 1408 was certain he would enter that room silently praying that least this one wouldn't hurt. Shockingly though the scientist continued moving and stopped at the door just before the end of the hall next to the stairs which he could only assume lead to somewhere else.

 

The scientist quietly took out a card and swiped it *authorization confirmed now unlocking storage* the dull robotic voice rang out. 1408 could only stare in horror as the man opens the door and motion for him to follow. 

 

Storage this was by far the worst room, sure the others were painful but at the end of it all, he knew he'd survive. That certainty did not exist in this room, the storage room housed many strange and unique objects. In this room, the experiment was to see how 1408 reacted to them either by having strange liquids injected that felt like fire to his veins or paralyzed him but left him perfectly aware and awake or placed near objects that seem to radiate otherworldly energy, very painful energy he still had burns and many other permanent scars that didn't disappear when they healed him like in the other rooms.

 

Truly that's why it scared him so much it wasn't just the pain, it was the lasting marks that the scientist couldn't get rid of. In every other room no matter how bad the experiments got, or how mangled his form became they were always able to fix him. If his arm was blown off or his ribs were all cracked in a few moments a scientist would walk up sometimes pick up the limb or just simply placed his hand on him and the injuries will be gone like they never existed.

 

That certainly was not the case in this room sometimes they were able to undo the effects of the drugs they gave him the substances they poured in, but many many more times the scientist seems to be in a panic clearly unsure of how to keep him alive now leaving him with many reminders of the room. 

 

1408 looked on in pure terror as the scientist motion for him to enter the room not stepping in himself this was the worst-case scenario. 1408 had been in this room many times and almost every time as with the other rooms the scientist came with to help with the experiments but only one thing would stop the scientist from entering with him. 1408 instantly realized that this meant the experiment would be testing his reaction to being exposed to something very dangerous. Somethings so hazardous the scientist wouldn't even dare step in to observe directly simply making do with a camera and speaker within the room.

 

1408 thought for a brief moment of simply refusing to get near the object in the room but that idea was immediately stamped down after all he tried it once. Several years earlier they tried to have him make contact with a glowing orb. It burned him just by standing near it and he refused to make contact. He thought he could get away with it that time, after all the scientist wouldn't enter the room so no one was in there to force him. However, that simply led to someone angrily ordering the scientist into the room and he angrily threw him into the orb. That is how he got the worst of his permanent markings. The worst to come from that incident however was the treatment of the scientist in the future weeks.

 

The scientist's rage boiled over leading to the experiment with the other rooms suddenly becoming far more painful and more dangerous. The sample room that was once one of the safer locations of just painless blood drawing and skin swabs became a nightmare room where chunks of his flesh and even bone will be cut out for the purpose of examination. 

 

The physical examination room practically turned into a torture chamber, now the endurance test was to see how long he could last being electrocuted, forced to hold his breath underwater, or how long he could stay standing with broken feet. The durability test then became a test to see how much force was needed to remove his limbs and the different methods they could use for each limb sometimes pulling, sometimes twisting, and sometimes crushing.

He dared not to reflect on the changes made to the special ability room shuttering at the nightmarish thought. So 1408 quietly resigned himself to his fate and stepped into the storage room. 

1