Chapter 2: A change in the routine
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As 1408 walked into the Storage room the door was immediately shut behind him by the scientist. 1408 looked in front of him where a pedestal stood with a strange black cube atop it . Behind it with the rest of the items sealed behind reinforced glass meaning the only item he had access to was the dreaded black box.

 

As 1408 stood in the room alone he felt nothing from the box the sensation that finally overcame him was confusion?

 

"I don't get it why wouldn't the man go in with me? This box doesn't seem to radiate anything?" 1408 was careful to keep that thought in his head as he knew from experience that the room also came with microphones. However, the question was still raised the scientist always went in with him to conduct the experiment. The only exception was when the item was deemed dangerous to be in the presence of and nothing else.

 

* subject 1408 please make contact with item 13* the classic static voice spoke through the intercom

 

1408 took a deep breath and then started to walk towards what he now knew as item 13. Upon closer inspection 1408 realize that the cube didn't seem to reflect any light nor did it have any dust on it. It just stood on the pedestal a pristine black void in the shape of a cube.

 

Strangely though for the first time ever since entering the storage room, he didn't feel any dread from the item instead, he felt comfort like he was given the sensation that whatever this was it would help him. A foreign feeling in general for him especially coming from this room. 

 

As 1408 reached out a small arm he touches the face of the cube. Suddenly he felt his mind begin to feel something no to say it was just his mind would be an understatement. To 1408 it felt like something was now connected to his very soul. 1408 could feel it now there was a link a connection to something and as he held onto the cube he felt it continue to grow stronger more define. 

 

Now 1408 could feel a more defined sensation. Whatever this box was he now knew it was connecting him to something. Now the box started to produce a hazy black mist. Even with this strange reaction it only encouraged 1408 to continue, for whatever this was he needed it to be completed. Now he placed both hands and pressed his forehead against the box desperately trying to complete whatever this connection was faster.

 

This continued for what felt like hours to 1408. He was now hugging the strange black cube as it simply continues to produce more of a black mist. Soon 1408 realize that this strange cube wasn't producing the mist it was becoming it! The cube which had first started at a size larger than his head was quickly growing smaller until now it was small enough to fit in the palm of his hand.

 

Once the cube was no bigger than a dice piece it seems to finally expunge all the strange black mist. Now 1408 was left with nothing more than a small cube in his hand and a strange need for completion. Seemingly an answer to his plea the black mist from earlier did not disperse rather it condensed around him. He could now feel it enters every poor merging with him completing whatever this process was. 

 

When there was no more mist to be seen he still didn't feel complete it was close but something hadn't happened yet. They weren't sure what was supposed to happen, but deep down they knew this was supposed to do something. Then 1408 gently placed the now white cube back on the platform.

 

"Umm.... Is that it? Am I missing something? I kind of felt like something would hap....zzzzzzzzzzz"

 

As suddenly as this whole process seems to have begun 1408 now found himself lying on the floor. 

------------POV Change----------------------

The scientist codenamed Mr. Red patiently waited for his boss to unlock the automatic door silently praying for good results. Every other subject so far had reacted negatively to item 13. Results varied from the subjects, but none were pleasant from being consumed completely by the mist leaving no body, or in some cases, the corpse left behind was so mutated it couldn't be called human anymore. The end result, either there was no body for him to fix or it was already long dead.

 

*click* the one sealed door now opened as the scientist quickly ran inside to examine the subject's body. As he reached over to check his pulse relieved to see it was normal, after all, if the subjects continued to die he would be fired. After all the other subjects had failed if he couldn't produce any results he knew his termination was imminent.

 

"You are one lucky kid I'll have to give you that. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what this tells us about the system cube." Mr. read mumbled under his breath he then decided to examine him using his ability. Placing all five fingertips directly on subject 1408 bare skin he began the examination of the child's flesh searching for any changes external or internal in an instant.

 

"Nothings changed with the kid, how can I be? He clearly had a reaction to the damn thing."

 

No, he thought immediately after. There must be a change because there clearly was a reaction with the cube. It could just be delayed or the change could easily only affect his soul. After all, I don't even think they knew how someone was supposed to react by touching this damn thing.

 

With that thought, he carefully approached the now pristine white system cube. He was still amazed that they had actually been able to procure one of the system cubes, supposedly there were only 1000 on this planet and yet one was stashed away here kept away completely covert. At the same time though and also filled him with fear. He knew countries would pay an arm and a leg for one of these things and yet his employer had the resources not only to obtain one but use it in this experiment.

 

"Mr. red good work White wants you to report to Mr. blue in order to examine the footage, while I'll take subject 1408 back to his room."

 

Red's thoughts were interrupted by the voice as he swiftly turned around to see a woman. She was tall with a strong build and was wearing the same lab coat he did but hers was buttoned all the way up with her long brown hair tied back into a ponytail. This was the scientist codenamed Mr. Green, as to why she was called Mr. red always assumed that the codenames had been pre-made to go with their key cards. Mr. Red quickly nodded his head and began to walk towards the stairs outside of the room while Mr. Green casually lifted the child with one arm and carried them back to their cell.

 


 

As red walked through the first-floor hallway he took care in keeping his coat from being caught on any of the rubble scattered throughout the entire upper floors. He grumbled in annoyance as he was prohibited from clearing any of the blockage, his boss I made it very clear that they wanted this building to maintain its appearance of abandonment and they had only made two exceptions. The only reason he was up here was because the one room they couldn't supplement with another room in the basement levels was the security feed room.

 

When he finally made his way through the ruined hallway at the end of it he found himself at the only door that's still properly locked in this entire floor. After swiping his card and opening the door he found himself face to face with not one but two men. To his right stood a man he rarely saw. Their expression was stiff and he looked to be in his 50s his black hair clearly showing gray but the most interesting thing about it was his short cut. That in other words proves he wasn't stuck in this cursed building nearly as long as red or anyone else had to be. To add further proof of this fact what he wore was not the standard-issued lab coat and clothing they had all been issued, no this man had on a sleek black business suit that probably cost more than what red would spend in an entire month. Everything about him clearly showed he had more authority here than anyone else and most likely knew what they were actually trying to achieve with these kids, Mr. Black.

 

To his left sat a man with a far different appearance. Code named Mr. blue the man put simply was a mess. The standard-issue lab coat already showed signs of being worn down and had clear signs of food stains. His long shaggy hair went far past his shoulders and a wild beard grew on his face. He knew for a fact they were all supplied with personal hygiene items but the man in front of him seems perfectly content looking more like a homeless bum than a scientist.

 

"Excellent I have a question for you before we go over the footage red" Mr. Black said with a level of intrigue red had yet to see on the man.

 

"Question"

 

"Yes, I would like to know if there were any changes to subject 1408? You did examine him correct?"

 

"Yeah I took a look internally but I found no changes at least none to do with them physically After all my ability doesn't let me look at someone's soul." Mr. Black stood still for a moment and looked to be pondering where to proceed with subject 1408 after a few seconds he finally opened his eyes.

 

"Very well from here out will have to perform daily test and physical examination in order to see if anything new manifest within the child for all we know the changes could simply be gradual." And after he finished he then motion to Mr. blue who'd been silent this whole time to start the footage of the subjects contact.

 

As the three of them watch the footage Mr. black with intense focus and blue with a casual interest. Mr. Red on the other hand only felt minor annoyance that now he was going to have his workload increased for the next few weeks. 

 

---------POV Change---------------

 

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep

 

Subject 1408 finally awoke now back in his room reached over and press the button silencing the beeping.

 

" oh God kid you finally press the damn button I thought I was gonna go insane"

 

"What the???" 1408 begins to look around his tiny room in order to identify the origin of the voice once he realized it didn't come from the speaker.

 

"Where... are you?" He muttered unsuccessful in finding the source.

 

"You can stop searching you're not gonna find anything after all I'm right in here."

 

"and where is here?" He asked apathetically as if he didn't even really care about the answer

 

"Why right inside this tiny little noggin of yours child, I got to say you're reacting pretty calmly for hearing your voice inside your head."

 

"How am I supposed to react?"

 

" what" the Voice reply genuinely confused

 

"I asked how am I supposed to react" - I thought I was being clear-

 

" Hey, I heard that thought kid don't think I don't hear just your words. As to how you were supposed to react? I don't really know maybe..... I don't know show a surprised face scream a little in terror, or something like that." The voice now sounded almost disappointed.

 

"terror?" 

 

"Oh I guess you are really young, how old are you anyway? I'd guess your age is something like eight or six, how close am I? Oh to answer your earlier question basically it just means fearful"

 

"What's age?" The boy asked truly genuine in his confusion.

" Are you fu-... Are you freaking serious kid? Christ, I got this world might be a little messed up but do you seriously not go to school or something? The voice now serves an increasing level of shock and now with a genuine hint of worry.

 

"School?"

 

"Yeah, I should've expected that one at this point. Let's try this from a different angle kid where are we?"

 

"My room why do you ask?"

 

" No no, I mean where is this place, where is this building located on this planet that's what I meant." The voice now spoke with an increasing amount of worry overtaking its earlier confusion.

 

"I..... I don't really get the question" 1408 now sounded disappointed unable to fulfill the task.

 

"........ OK humor me  for a sec and just look around your room." Pleated The Voice.

 

1408 quickly did as the voice told and turned his and look at his room, after all, that wasn't much in there so it wasn't too much to do.

 

" OK, I'm starting to get a clearer picture here no personal items, the only clothes you have the ones on you, camera above the door, and the only thing in this room besides you and this sorry excuse for a mattress is a sink and toilet. OK final question kid and don't worry it's a simple one."

"What is your name?"

 

Finally a simple question, one the child could easily answer so he happily proclaimed "I am subject 1408."

 

" OK, the pieces are starting to come together now...... Shit."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

What do you think the format of the story so far
  • Don't care Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like it Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Was confused throughout this whole thing Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 1
1