Chapter 8: A Dance Of Fire
607 4 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8: A Dance Of Fire (POV Lyra.)

“Love and kindness are flames, burning brighter in darkness.”-The Blaze Against The Dark, chapter 9. 

Lyra stood in front of the smooth, beautifully carved door: her old door. Eying the dragon symbol on it wearily, she gently gave it a few small knocks. 

“Lyra! Come in, come in.” Melody flashed her a pearly white smile. She took a few tiny steps inside and curtsied before the princess. 

Melody tenderly put her hand on her shoulder. “Please, there’s no need for that.” She turned on her heel and opened an ornate, wooden box filled with colorful vials and herbs. 

“Let’s see…two petals of the aisiríoch flower. 6 spoonfuls of extract from the uisce leaf, and water from the íon river.” She put the ingredients in a mortar then mixed them all with a pestle. The water changed color, becoming a vibrant shade of turquoise. 

“Don’t mind me, naming the ingredients helps me from making mistakes.” She mumbled, pouring the contents into a little vial. 

She shook the vial then hit it with her fingers. “All done!” Melody’s smile grew as she handed over the potion to Lyra. 

“Drink up, it’ll make your nerves all better.” Lyra gave her a small grin and chugged down the potion in a gulp. 

She scrunched up her face and quietly gagged. “It takes like snotty seaweed!” 

Melody chuckled dryly. “Well, I never said it was going to taste good.” She lightly frowned, “But it’s helping you, isn’t it?” 

Lyra nodded happily. She felt as if a thick fog was being lifted from her mind, unburdened by the stress and nerves of before. “That’s some powerful stuff.” 

Melody gave her a wink. “It sure is.” 

Lyra fell quiet, her heart ached at being in her old room without any distractions. Old memories tugged at her, memories of being someone she isn’t. 

“Is there something troubling you? Would you be more comfortable if I looked like the girl I was earlier again? You seemed to like her.” 

She looked at Melody, and her heart skipped a beat. She looked like what Lyra imagined a real siren to look like, with a slim heart-shaped face, high cheekbones, and enchanting eyes, still with their sapphire blue color. Her hair was woven in intricate braids resting on her back, clearly done by a master in the art of hairstyling. 

“No!” She clasped her hand over her mouth, blushing at her outburst. “I see.” Melody giggled, “Do try to look beyond the pretty face though, beauty is in the heart.” Lyra wholeheartedly nodded in agreement.

Melody sauntered to the desk, and with a flick of her wrist a few candles sprung alight. “This room’s lighting is terrible, how does anyone read in here?” 

Lyra’s eyes shot open, and her jaw dropped. “You’re a…a twice-born.” 

The Lyrian princess nodded with a warm smile. “Aye. Flame and dusk.” 

The redhead’s face fell as sadness clouded her face. “I’m so sorry, milady.” 

Melody quirked an eyebrow. “For?” 

“Well…” She rubbed her pale arm. “You’re a Lyrian royal, but you’re also a Flameborn.” 

“So I am.” Melody stared out the window. “It doesn’t matter, most of my family accepts me. Save for my mother.” She sighed and her eyes drooped.

“The opinions of the people in the rain kingdom about me, however, are...divided. But I don’t care. They can think of me as they wish.” Melody crossed her arms. 

Lyra scratching her hair, a look of bewilderment growing on her face. “You..don’t care? I don’t understand, don’t you want people to like you?” 

She shrugged and flicked her hair. “I do and I don’t. Why should I care about those who curse me for something beyond my control? I am a performer at heart, but you can never please everyone with your performance. That’s part of life.” 

Lyra furrowed her brows. In her heart of hearts, she knew Melody was right. But deep down she always just wanted to be adored, to be loved. She refused to believe that some people, just won’t like you. 

“I don’t know...can’t everyone grow to like you?” 

Melody giggled in her hand. “No, I’m afraid not. Some people will always dislike or hate you, for whatever reason. Be it your hair color or the sound of your voice.” 

Lyra winced. “What’s wrong with my voice?”

Melody blinked, then grimaced. “Oh, gods nothing is wrong with it. You have a lovely voice, got it? I only meant that some people will simply not get along. That’s just how it is. And you shouldn’t mind that, focus on the people who do like and care for you.” 

Lyra fidgeted with her flame-kissed mane, her eyes stuck to the freshly-cleaned floor. “If you say so.” 

Melody blew out a sigh. “Enough of this subject. I need to prepare a...little something, for myself. But please, continue talking. I do enjoy your company.” 

Lyra’s mouth turned as dry as a desert while she struggled to come up with words to say.

“Ummmm...what’s it like, being a Flameborn and duskborn?” 

The princess put a finger on her lip, a thoughtful frown on her face. 

“It is...challenging to express properly. Imagine..feeling the presence of every flame, every candle, and every hearth, like a heartbeat. A voice, perhaps? Candles and matches whisper while bonfires shout, and forest fires roar...” For a short moment her gaze turned glassy, then she forced a smile. 

“And here you are, walking among these flames like a monarch. Perhaps a more fitting analogy is a bard, tuning their instruments. You can tell a candle to roar, and a hearth fire to grow quiet. Much like a musician can change the volume of their instrument as they will and please. But…” 

Her gaze settled on Lyra, and she no longer had to force a smile. 

“There is more to it than this, so much more! Emotions aren’t so different, joy can be tiny but persistent, like a torch in the dark. Or it can soar through your heart like a newly lit bonfire! If you know how to tune the drums of your heart, you can do this as you will.” 

Lyra blinked, a glint of awe and fear in her eyes. “You can control emotions?” 

Melody nodded, then shook her head. “Not quite control. It’s more about intensifying or decreasing emotions and less about controlling. I wouldn’t want such a thing anyway, think of your emotions as a flame one can feed and grow, or blow out and shrink.” 

She twirled on her toes and started digging around in wooden boxes. 

“Healing someone’s physical wounds is much more difficult, you have to tap into the aspect of fire that heals, its gentle warmth and life-giving side. While shutting out its hunger for fuel and destruction, not to mention its searing heat. Do it too much and your spells will lose their power. But do it too little and you’ll just hurt the person you want to heal...” 

Lyra sat on the desk and listened intently. In all her years she never knew there was more to being a Flameborn than hot-rage and searing flames, destroying everything it touched. 

Melody grunted with frustration. “What are the official words of the Flameborn again? I can’t remember.”

“Born by spark, raised by heart and flame. We are of the dragon’s blood, And so shall we reign.” The words had just slipped out of her before she had a chance to stop them. 

Lyra’s heart skipped a beat. “Um, they’re also the words of house Roarin. The Uh, former, ruling house of the Ashen kingdom.” 

Melody snapped her fingers, and Lyra flinched in response. 

“Thank you, Lyra! That’s exactly right. The wording is accurate if a little snobbish. Then again, do you know what the words of the sirenborn and house Seafair are? We are the ocean. We are the sea, crowns of storms and born of sirens, for all shall see, and bow before us.” 

She stifled a giggle. “A bit snobbish too, don’t you think?” 

Lyra’s lips curved into an easy, infectious smile. “I suppose so, though everyone’s a snob these days.”

Melody chuckled, then her brows snapped together with a pout. “You’re distracting me. I don’t mind! But I do need to focus. Besides, I haven’t talked about duskborn yet.” 

Lyra bit her lip, looking away as her cheeks turned pink. “Sorry, please go on.” 

Melody absently nodded while she mumbled to herself. “4 drops of blásta. Mixed with seeds from the ar meisce tree. I’m forgetting something...” 

She turned to the redhead. “What am I forgetting?” 

Lyra smiled sheepishly. “I don’t know, I’m sorry.” 

Melody’s eyes lit up and she snapped her fingers once more, and likewise, Lyra flinched again. She mentally cursed at herself for being so easily startled by something as harmless as someone snapping their fingers. 

“Crushed náire berries!” Melody skipped over to a jar with a mauve-colored liquid in it, then poured all the contents into the same bowl. “That should do it.”

The princess mixed it all then added water, likewise, she filled a whole medium-sized bottle with it, then finally shook it around a bit. 

“Yes!” She grinned at her finished potion. “This should get me quite drunk.” 

Lyra gawked at the giddy princess. “D-drunk?” 

“Aye! For after the play, I’m planning to get shit-faced drunk. I’m playing a man you see. One of the Cirrian princes, my little brother called dibs, as they say, on Eveline...with my parents’s blessing. I’m fairly certain my mother just looooves the idea of him getting to know what it’s like being a girl.” She pouted, glancing at her potion. 

“Perhaps I should make more. Though I don’t actually know just how strong it is...”

Lyra’s face drained of color on the spot. “Playing?…a man? I…who?-“ 

“But enough of that! You asked me what it’s like to be a duskborn, and I intend to answer before you need to depart.” 

Melody sat down her potion and strode through the room, her mind lost in thought. 

“Our name is duskborn because we don’t simply call on the shadows. When our powers manifest we are one with the night, for good or ill. 

They say life is nourished by the sun. A good example would be photosynthesis I suppose, plants absorb light from the sun and convert it to energy. For us, not even the moon is a source of power and energy, it’s the mere presence of the night. 

At the same time, daytime makes us, me, weaker. Even my Flameborn abilities are weaker during the day, though that still puzzles me. Anyway I’m sure you are wondering who’s shadow I stole, she was...very dear to me.” 

With each breath Melody took, her breathing turned more and more erratic, but her calm expression never wavered. 

“Her shadow is all I have left of her. She gave it willingly.” 

The princess’s sapphire eyes met her’s, and Lyra’s heart skipped a beat. 

“You must understand,” Melody continued, her voice steady. “Stealing someone’s shadow can be quite..painful, even if you do it gently. Your shadow is more than an area of darkness cast on the ground by blocked light. It’s an extension of you, a reflection of your soul.” 

She started to pace around, her lips set in a thin line. 

“Faeborn cast illusions, sirenborn use a combination of water, and a reflection to change their physical form, they could also use a siabann. An enchanted mask crafted exclusively by sirenborn, difficult to make for most but they can sustain a shape-changing spell for longer with it. 

But we...we reach out to someone’s very being. And we take that reflection of their soul, we steal it for ourselves to change our form into theirs. 

When we change, we can hear their inner voice, whispering to us should we feel the need to know something. Though it is merely their subconscious speaking, useful for copying mannerisms and quirks but little else. We also temporarily lose our own shadow in the process, I suppose that’s fitting...considering what we’re doing.”

She closed her eyes, the smallest smile gracing her lips. 

“It was incredible at first. I used to create these adorable little shadow creatures to play with, everyone loved it. Everyone loved me. I was...never alone.” 

Melody fidgeted with her hair, her expression still steady and neutral. 

“I was the best at hide and seek. I could hide in any shadow though my favorite hiding spot was the shadow of the seeker, I’d often mess with them a little.” 

She chuckled dryly. “I know what you’re thinking, it’s unfair. But many of my friends were Titanborn or starborn, they could figure out where I was if I wasn’t careful.”

Her brows snapped together, and she let out a harsh, shallow breath. 

“Then I discovered I could talk to the shadows if you will. Bend them to my desires, I could make them do anything. Become weapons, armor, monsters...controlling the shadows of people, living or no, was where I drew the line. Not even my mother could persuade me to do such an inhumane thing.” 

Lyra’s eyes fell on Melody’s trembling fists, she gulped and steeled herself, unsure of what else to do. 

“I will never wear nor keep the shadow of anyone besides...Violet’s. A duskborn can keep dozens of shadows at a time but I will never have more than one, never. 

Melody exhaled a long, deep sigh. “Well. That got very serious, didn’t it? Forgive me, you didn’t come here to watch me get all weepy. I hope that I...still answered your question. If I have not please, come back later.” 

The princess turned away from Lyra and rubbed her eyes, wiping away fresh tears. 

Lyra opened her mouth to speak but the princess raised a hand, silencing her. “I’m tired. But...” Before she knew it, Melody had snatched a red vial and drank every last drop of it, without stopping to breathe. She glanced over her shoulder and forced a grin. “The show must go on.” 

Lyra tilted her head, she hopped off the desk and inched closer to Melody. “I’m...I’m so sorry, I know I’m just a maid, but may I hug you? Maybe it can make you feel better?”

Melody jerked her head away. “No. Go to the main hall for the damned oath ceremony.” 

“Please...let me help.” She reached to embrace the princess but she pulled herself away. 

“No!” She hissed. “Go, now.” 

Lyra’s face fell, and she stifled a sob. “Okay.” She whispered. With a pained shake of her head, Lyra left her old room and started to walk to the main hall. 

               

                                                                                                           ****

Lyra! You made it.” Miri tightly hugged her friend, burying her head against her chest. “I was getting worried.” She murmured. 

“Of course. I’m sorry for worrying you.” Lyra replied quietly, patting her back. 

“Come, the king and queen are almost here, I think...maybe!” 

The girls each sat down in their chairs. “Will it take long?” Lyra whined. 

“Until the monarchs arrive.” Miri piped, crossing her legs. 

Lyra puffed her cheeks in boredom, looking around the hall. 

She was drawn to the thrones in the center of the room. They were made entirely from gold, and were decorated with intricately made carvings of rivers, oceans, and droplets. 

She noted the large shining sapphires at the arms of each of the royal chairs. 

The rest of the hall paled in comparison, maybe intentionally. All of the Cirrian banners had already been replaced by Lyrian ones, even the carpet was brand new and instead of its crimson color, it was sky blue with embroidered gold droplet and swirling symbols. 

Lyra wiggled anxiously in her chair, clenching her jaw at the shrill creaking noises from the wooden chair. 

“I can’t see much except for the thrones. Why aren’t the candles and chandeliers lit? And I don’t know if I can wait much longer, I’m swearing an oath to the rain kingdom but I’m...you know.” She curled a lock of her hair around her finger. “I just want this over with.” 

“I know but you don’t have much of a choice.” 

Lyra furrowed her brows, opening her mouth to protest but she was interrupted by the sound of grandiose trumpets, and the unmistakable footfalls of marching soldiers.

“All rise!” A brisk, imposing voice shouted. 

Every maid and servant in the halls rose, then bowed deeply. 

“The royal family of the rain kingdom is here, long may they reign!” The voice bellowed. 

Drums and synchronized marching sounds echoed through the halls.

Lyra dared to glance up, and stifled a gasp. 

The king and queen were upfront, dressed in the finest clothes she’d ever seen.

The queen wore a floor-cut gown so impeccably made it wouldn’t have surprised her if the water goddess herself had gifted it to her. The sapphire gems woven into her gown were in a perpetual state of reflecting light, identically to how water shone in the sunlight. 

Gold, silver, and even some shiny metallic materials Lyra had never seen were expertly woven into the queen’s gown, and her sleeves and bust had so many frills! She felt a pang of jealousy stabbing at her heart, but she forced it down. 

The king had a much simpler, but still luxurious style. He wore an at first glance simple tunic, but at further inspection, you could see it was made from the finest materials and silk, Gold embroidery touching at the tunic’s edges, and lining the large symbol of the rain kingdom of his chest. 

He wore a rather large belt, and likewise, the navy blue gem at its center was big, catching the eye effortlessly. 

The cloak the king wore, to Lyra’s surprise was actually the crimson cloak her father wore on many occasions. It was a trophy of sorts, she thought. 

Behind the monarchs were their children. Melody sauntered at the back, a solemn but fiercely determined look on her face. Her in comparison simple dress was much shorter than before, at knee length, giving her freedom Lyra couldn’t help but envy. 

In front of her was Cullen, dressed in completely dark blue armor, fit for war. It had little in decor, save for a few swirling and droplet symbols here and there. 

Next to him was a young guy, though still older than his siblings, that Lyra didn’t recognize. 

His armor was more refined and detailed than his sibling’s combined, and much more colorful. Its blues were lighter, and it had white and gold colors gracing it. Everywhere you’d look you could find Lyrian symbols, and the rain kingdom emblem at his chest was made from sapphires. The eldest, she mused. 

The monarchs took their seats, and their children stood next to them, in order from youngest to eldest, with Melody as the youngest. 

“Sons and daughters of Cintra,” The king’s voice boomed through the halls. “Today we have gathered to herald the coming of a new dawn. Today, you become servants of Kaeleigh. Shed your previous loyalties to the dragon’s spawn, and join us in our prosperity.”

Miri scoffed and fought the urge to laugh. 

“Please, my friends and loyal subjects, stand tall.” 

The crowd did as instructed, and straightened their backs. 

“Do you, children of Cintra, swear by the seven gods, that you will aid and serve Kaeleigh to your best abilities?” 

“We swear, by the dragon’s sacred ashes.” The crowd chorused. 

“Will you follow our laws and customs, and swear to be loyal to the rain kingdom, lest the seven hells take you and the gods cast you down?” 

“So we shall, by the dragon’s mercy.” 

“By the might and grace of Alyria, I hereby declare you to be servants of the rain lands of Kaeleigh.” 

The servants and maids all sat back down, save for Lyra, who had to be pulled down by her friend. 

“Sorry,” Lyra mumbled. 

“It’s fine, honestly?” Miri snorted. “I’ve broken a similar oath to Cintra now, haven’t been cast down yet. It’s just a formality for these thick-headed royals.” 

Lyra opened her mouth to speak again, but once more she was silenced by the king’s shouting. She could only grunt in response. 

“And now, our beloved daughter, princess Melody of Seafair, will perform in honor of this celebration.” 

Melody stepped forward and spread her arms wide. “Ladies and gentlemen, let this be the start of healing our wounds and scars.” 

She curtsied. “Bring in the wounded.” 

With that, the doors of the hall swung open, and a group of wounded soldiers and commoners walked through, some as lightly wounded as few cuts, while others had lost their limbs. 

“Seven gods be with you all.” 

She stepped forward, and blew a kiss to her audience, releasing a cloud of tiny embers. 

Some of the little embers gently floated to the unlit torches and chandeliers, lighting each up. 

Melody tapped her fingers in the air in a slow rhythm known only to her, and with each tap, she released small groups of embers and sparks.

She closed her eyes and used her index fingers to make one long tap, conjuring a flood of dancing sparks and embers around her. 

Melody smiled and hastened her pace, like a song picking up its speed. 

She waved her arms around in graceful movements, directing the embers to circle and dance seemingly randomly around her, mesmerizing everyone present.  

Melody’s eyes shot open and she jumped in the air. she crossed her arms then threw them wide, gently sending the sparks flying through the room. The crowd gasped then quickly sighed in relief, the embers were soothing to touch and didn’t hurt in the least. 

The princess’s grin grew as she directed the sparks like she was in charge of an orchestra. 

They flew in elaborate patterns, forming into butterflies and birds, until they assumed the shape of a simple heart, their glow rising and falling as if the heart was truly alive. 

She twirled and the embers swirled around her in a tornado of light. 

Melody glanced at the crowd of enchanted wounded, and winked. 

She danced over to the injured, and blew them a kiss, summoning more fiery lights. 

The embers embraced the people and delicately laid themselves on their wounds, slowly healing them. 

The princess giggled and jumped to the center of the group, continuing her seemingly endless dance. 

People gasped and cheered as the lights seemed to be on their way to heal any and all of the wounded, no matter what their injury was. Cuts, bruises, broken bones, eyes and senses were restored and limbs slowly regrown in showers of sparks. 

A trickle of blood ran down her nose, but she quickly wiped it away. 

With a wave of Melody’s fingers, she took a spare group of the embers and formed them together into the swirling symbols of the rain kingdom, before changing it to a dove holding an olive branch. 

She suppressed a cough and gritted her teeth. She ignored the agony paining her heart. She couldn’t stop yet, not until all the wounded were healed. 

The princess made a small beckoning gesture with her fingers, and the red lights came together, until they formed the silhouette of a girl, with a surprisingly detailed face. Melody snapped her fingers and the red lights turned violet, then she reached out her hand. 

The girl gladly accepted, and the ladies danced around the hall in a romantic waltz as if they’d done it for years. Fiery butterflies and sparks following them as they danced. 

Tears freely flowed down Melody’s face, but still, she smiled. “I love you.” She whispered. 

She eyed the newly healed wounded and released a steady breath. 

As fast as the embers came, they vanished. 

Melody dropped her arms to her sides and shut her eyes. She knew what was coming next. 

The princess clutched at her stomach, she vomited blood and fell on the ground, convulsing wildly.

24