Chapter 2- A Day of Hardwork
Eli by Ian
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eli woke up the next morning.  This time there were no dogs arguing around. 

"Hwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa," she yawned. She stretched her arms as she got up.

She washed up. Fixed her hair. Wore her chainmail and wielded her armament. She then went downstair for breakfast.

"Morning..." an elderly man greeted her, a silver fox. His name is Brand. He was behind a counter, brewing drinks.

"Morning," Eli greeted back. "I'll have braised wolf meat. Thanks." Eli took a sit in front the counter.

"Alright, just wait a minute." The old man went inside the kitchen to cook.

 While waiting, Eli took a look around.

A couple is eating on a table beside a window. What was surprising is the oldma eating on a table near the door. He was wearing a robe and a pointed hat, beside him is a staff. Aside from them, there are no other people in the inn.

Her breakfast came not long after.

 "Here you go."

"Thanks." Eli replied. "By the way, do  you have anything for me?"

"There is actually, here." Brand gave her a piece of paper. It was a letter.

A wolfmane is terrorizing the shepherds' village down south. Please take care of it.

"Wolfmane, huh." Eli muttered. "I could do this within today."

"Good, give me the meat." "Ok."

After eating her breakfast, she got out of the inn.

She went into a blacksmith in the eastern section of town.

"I'm here for my sword." Eli approached a dwarf and gave him a slip. He was the owner of the smith. He took the slip and went upstairs. He came back down not long after.

"Here. Good as new." The dwarf gave her a sheathed sword. "I'll also buy a skinning knife and a butchering knife."

"That would be 10 silver bullions." Eli paid the dwarf.

"I need a bag," she mused. She went in a store and bought a bag, before going out to the main gate of the town.

She followed the road leading to the shepherds' village.

It took her an hour reach the village. The village is surrounded by pastures. She can see people herding animals.

She went straight to the village center and inquired about the commission.

"The wolfmane took residence in the nearby forest. He usually comes at dawn and dusk," the village chief informed her.

Does that mean I'll have to wait? Eli thought. It was high noon. It would be dangerous to fight it when night is coming. Fighting it in the forest is also a no-go.

"Do you have a map?" Eli asked.

"Here," the village chief took out a map and spread it on the table. Eli took a look at the map.

It was a map of the village. The village is surrounded by a plain, on the right is a forest where the wolfmane resides, south of the plains is a river. In the north of the forest is a mountain.

"It's dangerous to fight it during dusk or in the forest. If I fight it in the plains, there's a chance that it runs away," Eli said.

"I think it would be good to setup an ambush here," the village chief pointed at the foot if the mountain. "There is an enclosed clearing by this area."

"You sure?"

"Yes. I will have someone guide you there."

"Alright then. I will need a bait."

"Of course"

Eli then followed the guide to the area. It was indeed a good place to trap the wolfmane. It was small enough to restrict the movement of the wolfmane. There is also an ideal hiding place.

"This place is good. Come, help me setup the lure."

...

Eli is waiting for the wolfmane to come, sword in hand. The guide returned to the village. It did not long for the wolfmane to appear.

It is slightly bigger than a wolf. Its fur longer and thicker. Its lush and grey.

It approached the bleeding sheep, curious. It cautiously sniffed at it.

Just as the wolfmane pounced at the sheep, Eli charged its right flank. She stabbed the beast's right eye.

The wolfmane howled swiped at Eli. She stepped back, dodging the swipe. She then slashed at its nape. The attack was shallow, however, and the wolfmane retreated.

But it cannot run away, nor it can kill it opponent. It launched at Eli at a surprising speed. It was a desperate attack, hoping to take her down with it. Eli was prepared. She sidestepped left, slashing the same wound she inflicted earlier, decapitating the wolfmane.

After the fight, Eli skinned, and butchered it.

 She then went back to the village and sold the skin there. She then departed to town.

...

It was dusk when she reached town. She went straight to the town hall to finish her commission.

She went back to the inn.

"Finished?" Brand asked as she entered.

"Yep. Here, the meat."

"Nice, here's you money."

Eli went upstairs and washed up before going back downstair to eat dinner.

"Any news today?" She asked.

"Nothing of note."

"Huh." 

By the time she finished eating, it is already night.

...

After a day of hard work. She then took her well earned sleep............................................... NOT!!!!!

"Hhhhhuuuuuhhhhhhh!???"

0