Chapter 96: The limits of a borrowed power
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ayame! Snap out of it! I don’t want to hurt you!” I shouted as I charged towards her.

“You’re dangerous, Mikage. You can easily become a tyrant with that power”, Ayame told me.

I got close enough to her and raised my sword. She waited for me to swing it down in order to land a counter but I was actually waiting for her to do that.

And without warning, Rushia’s shadow turned into a fist and hit her chin. I made sure to place enough force in it to knock her out since she was the more dangerous one between the two of them.

Ayame finally realized that I baited her out and then, she lunged at me. The bad part was that I had trouble keeping up because of the wound she gave me during her surprise attack. Every time I blocked her swords, I could feel my side stinging.

In the corner of my eye, I saw red sparks heading towards us. I made my shadow wrap around me and pull me away before I could get hit while Ayame dodged back.

Ollie was grinning maniacally and I clicked my tongue. If she was affected too, my chances of winning would be slim. 

But then, she just headed straight towards Ayame and clashed swords with her. 

“You’re not affected by the Dark Corruption?” I asked.

“I don’t know! I don’t feel funny though so I can deal with Ayame!” Ollie told me.

The other guards headed towards us and I gritted my teeth. This was definitely the right time to do this.

“Synchronicity Release!”

After my outfit changed into a black one, I lunged at Vox. But even though I had Yoclesh’s Oni Rush, I had trouble keeping up with Vox’s swordsmanship. From how he moved, I had an idea that this was going to be a tough fight.

“Oh? You know Oni Rush too, huh?” he smirked.

I crouched low and aimed to stab him. Yoclesh’s skill with Oni Rush made me know how to fight him and I trusted that skill because Yoclesh was a powerful swordswoman during the Dark Times.

And thanks to those skills, I barely managed to avoid having my arm cut off as Yoclesh’s soul urged me to back away just in time before Vox swung his sword down in an unexpected manner.

T-That move… Yoclesh’s voice echoed inside me.

“Too bad for you, Mikage. Your Oni Rush is outdated! The way you fight is like 4000 years ago!” Vox laughed.

The wound on my side stung and I could feel cold sweat running down my face. 

I’m sorry, Mikage. I don’t know how to heal this,  Ars’ voice told me.

Rakshasa is a cursed sword. The injuries you’ll receive from it are very difficult to heal unless its user would release you from its curse, Anya explained.

“Is that all you can do, Mikage? You have all that power and that is all you can do? Wouldn’t it be better to just give up the fight? It serves you right” Vox asked.

My arms became heavier as my will to fight slowly disappeared. Vox’s words rang in my ears and no matter how hard I tried to not pay attention, I would still stop and consider his words.

This is troubling. If this was Mind Magic, I can think of a way to nullify it but your body willingly listens to the Silver Tongue, Ryuuki’s voice said.

The other guards were slowly approaching me with their weapons drawn. I could hear Ollie and Ayame fighting a few meters away but I had no time to worry about them.

“You’re a disappointment, Primordial Dark. To think that a mere Silver Tongue can defeat you. Have I been overestimating you?” Vox asked.

The guards’ shadows rose up and wrapped around them. They tried to struggle but they couldn’t break out of their own shadows.

Hey, hey. You’re seriously getting convinced to give up? Noir’s voice asked.

But what can I do? I asked back.

If the Silver Tongue is annoying, just don’t hear it.

I then realized what Noir was trying to say. 

Ars, can you do something like this? 

After relaying my instructions to her, the sounds of Ayame and Ollie’s clashing swords disappeared. Even though Vox spoke as I slowly got up, his mouth moved without producing any sound. The entire world became silent as I used magic to make me deaf.

My side still hurt from the injury Ayame gave me but I gritted my teeth. If I want to finish things, I have to bear with the pain I have right now.

His Oni Rush is dangerous. I don’t think I can compete with an evolved sword style with my outdated techniques, Yoclesh told me.

That’s true… But Vox is not just facing only you and me. He’s facing all the masters of the Sword of Records, I said.

I charged at Vox and he readied himself. He blocked my swift and precise strikes as he predicted one strike after another. However, he was surprised when I suddenly gave him a headbutt and kneeled his torso.

Nice one! Mikage!  Leo’s voice shouted after I pulled off his Wild Sword Style.

Vox charged at me while red energy wrapped around his sword.

“Enhancement: Arms! Enhancement: Legs!” I shouted.

With my Enhancement Magic, I held my ground against Vox’s strike and even managed to push him back.

Good choice, Ryuuki praised me.

Vox snapped his fingers and then more guards entered the room. They charged at me but I created a sword from my own shadow. I then greeted them while using Merryweather’s Royal Dual Wielding.

Deflecting their strikes and landing counters were easy and it didn’t take long for me to knock them out one by one. Then, a barrier appeared behind my back and Vox’s eyes widened when he realized that I used magic to block his attack.

Setting up a barrier while doing Royal Dual Wielding, that’s a good tactic, Ars said.

Indeed. I’ll give it a passing grade, Merryweather agreed.

I lunged at Vox and using Yoclesh’s Oni Rush, I was pushing him back. And when he was getting used to my attacks, I would switch between Wild Sword Style, Royal Dual Wielding, or magic.

And without warning, I felt a headache. Vox saw this opening and put up some distance between us.

You’re pushing yourself too much. Rapidly switching in Synchronicity takes too much toll on your body and mind. This is your first time and yet you’re already taking on too much work, Shiki scolded me.

Vox was completely still. His eyes were completely focused on me as his sword was ready to cut me down.

I can’t see any openings, Yoclesh told me.

True. Oni Rush is for swift and precise strikes. Now that it’s evolved, I don’t think any of us could get inside his territory without getting hurt, Merryweather added.

The dangerous part is the magic on his sword. He coated it with some sort of nullification so magic won’t help Mikage, Ars said.

I see. So even if Mikage will use Enhancement: Steel Body, will he still get hurt? Ryuuki asked.

Not only that, that demon is also skilled. He’s calmly waiting for Mikage and I’m sure he can get away unless he completely lets his guard down, Leo muttered.

So even if Mikage would take the risk and jump in, Vox can get away. This is dangerous, Anya said.

Vox was still focusing on me. He was completely ready to kill me once I got in his range. Even though I had the powers of Anya’s previous masters, I still had difficulty. And that was because I was still lacking.

Noir… I called out to him.

What’s up? he asked.

I’m not human… Am I?

….. Only one way to find out.

What are you two talking about? Anya asked.

He’s probably thinking of a way to win using his own power, Noir answered.

The Dark Corruption inside Vox was powerful. At this distance, I couldn’t take it away. I have to get close but once I do, I would get injured while he could run away. The only way to win was to make him completely drop his guard.

Sorry, Anya. I have to do this on my own, I said.

My clothes returned to normal after I got out of Synchronicity. The previous masters’ experiences would get in the way of my plan. After all, they were people who were skilled in avoiding death at the last second.

I faced my palm at him and his own shadow rose up. Vox cut it down and while he was focusing on them, I charged at him as fast as I could.

He then smirked as he moved his sword. I could see the path of his strike. Even though I could see and predict it, there was no way for me to dodge it as it headed towards my right lung. And then I winced after it pierced through my flesh.

Mikage!!! Anya shouted worriedly.

“I’m… fine…” I gritted my teeth.

Vox looked confused after I grabbed his arm. 

“THIS IS PART OF THE PLAN!!!” I shouted.

Using all of my authority as the Primordial Dark, I absorbed the Dark Corruption inside Vox. I could feel anger, sadness, resentment, and fatigue as I drained away his Dark Corruption.

And after the last bit of the Dark Corruption was drained from his body, Vox collapsed to the ground.

The pain in my body was unbearable and I had trouble breathing. However, I knew this wasn’t the time to relax so I headed towards Rushia.

An eerie feeling appeared in my mind as the Dark Corruption in Ayame and everyone else rampaged. Without Vox’s Silver Tongue, they were now going to be reduced into savage people who would attack anyone in sight.

That’s why I drained Rushia’s Dark Corruption and whispered the magic words in her ears in order to wake her up.

“Someone said that while you’re a genius, you can’t solve your flat chest”, I said.

Rushia’s eyes opened and her mana oozed out. Ayame told me that I should say those words to Rushia if I wanted to get her attention… and if I wanted to face the consequences.

After looking around and seeing Ollie getting overwhelmed by the rampaging Ayame and other demons, Rushia sighed as green butterflies appeared around her.

“I’ll leave the rest to you, Rushia”, I said.

“.... Got it”, Rushia extended her arm and the green butterflies multiplied.

The last thing I saw before I passed out from pain was an army of undead soldiers appearing around the genius necromancer.

###

A/N: The limits of Synchronicity and its potential has been seen… or has it?

1