Chapter 10: Negotiations
281 5 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yuan sat at the end of a long wooden table in a grand room. Starting daggers at him from the other end was a girl. Her name is Emilia Vidford and she is now the technical Queen of Vidford after the death of her Father Winston Vidford. They were currently in the main residence of the Vidford’s aka the Royal castle.

 

Emilia wasn’t mad at the death of her father. In fact she is rather glad at the turn of events. Not that she hated her father but in the world of cultivators, nobles have a weird way of working. Being the heir to a family actually means very little. With life spans being so long for high ranking cultivators the person who becomes high enough in cultivation to turn their family into a noble level family often remains the patriarch of the family until its eventual demise.

 

Back on earth in the era of nobles, the leader of the family would often not live much past 50 years old. Therefore raising an heir up to be the next family head was an important task. Winston Vidford was 700 years old when he died which was considered young for a cultivator of his level. Even though Emilia is considered still a child she is already 40 years old herself. Cultivators just simply live on a different timeline than mortals.

 

So in conclusion Emilia was happy to be the head of the family while still young. She had expected to have to wait a few thousand years before inheriting this position. The reason she is staring daggers at Yuan unintentionally is because he is now a threat to her position and life.

 

Being a cultivator is an expensive and long process. Not only does it take many years of meditation and solitude to reach enlightenment but many pills and training techniques have to be bought during the process. Yuan got his cultivation realm for free but for a normal person they would have spent thousands of years and every penny they could earn in that time on pills to further their progress and help with bottlenecks.

 

People didn’t work so hard for so long just to then sit around and do nothing. They worked hard for power and intend to abuse it. Emilia isn’t considered very talented and is currently only at the Sage realm mainly through the use of pills instead of talent. An opposite example would be Luna. At only 16 years old already reaching the Sage realm without the use of many pills as she has a humble background growing up in a village.

 

Emilia as well as Alex and Edward and members of the council who are also in the room all think Yuan will make unreasonable demands for being attacked. Celestial realm cultivators were no joke, having a demigod demand payment from you was not something you could say no too, even being a city with 10 million inhabitants couldn’t save you.

 

Vidford has an interesting history. The city surrounds a large mountain in the middle in a donut shape. Usually surrounding a mountain like this would be seen as odd for a city planner but it made sense since Vidford was originally a slave camp for a spirit stone mine. Beastmen slaves along with human criminal slaves would be sent down into the mountain to mine for spirit stones.

 

Spirit stones have a few uses. They can be absorbed by cultivators to aid them in their cultivation which is their main use. Spirit stones also act as a form of currency between cultivators. When trying to ascend to the immortal celestial realm many throw away their physical possessions such as gold coins. Hence when the cultivators needed a way to trade amongst each other for cultivation resources what better way then Spirit stones which was the most basic cultivation resource? It's similar how in the medieval times people would trade goods for bread instead of coins. One iron shovel would be worth 10 loaves of bread for example.

 

After the mountain was practically hollowed out the slave owners had no more use for the mine and abandoned it. The slaves at that point were all near death and barely worth keeping alive. Instead of killing all the slaves the owners just simply left them there assuming they would die on their own in time.

 

However by a stroke of luck one of the slaves had actually been a noble before falling to slavery. He managed to contact his house which was in a terrible state at the time. He convinced his house the Vidford’s to leave their city and move over. The Vidfords spent all their remaining gold on farming equipment and materials to build houses.

 

This is why despite Vidford's ups and downs over the years they have remained in power in this city for the last three hundred thousand years. Everyone's ancestors would pass this story down and the deep respect the people had for house Vidford was unshakable. The city is even named after them in honor of the sacrifice the house made for them.

 

Emilia knew that even though she was one of the weakest in the room thanks to her family prestige she would be backed up and protected. Even when facing a demi god at the other end of the long table she didn’t feel intimidated at all. The handsome man however just sipped his tea completely oblivious to the tense atmosphere in the room.

 

Everyone was scared of the demands Yuan might make but they were also terrified of Emilia’s current attitude. She hadn’t been there and witnessed her fathers death nor had seen the power of Yuan’s weird black carriage. Although they would back her up to the death nobody wanted to throw their lives away to stand up for a spoiled princess.

 

Nobody seemed to want to break the tense atmosphere and speak up. Just as Emilia was at the end of her rope and about to open her mouth the door behind her opened up letting in some cold air, it was winter after all. In walked a cat girl in the most beautiful dress Emilia had ever seen and a man in noble attire for a formal event but also had some weird golden eye piece and a strange hat.

 

“Lunaaaa I was worried you weren’t going to come! Please come sit here and help me with this”

 

Emilia was a bit taken back at the tone of Yuan. Although he looked younger than her she just assumed he was some old monster using a disguising technique. But an old cultivator would never talk like this.

 

Luna simply smiled and walked over towards Yuan completely ignoring everyone else in the room. She knew how powerful and respected all these people were as she had attended the academy in this city before and had learned about them. But she also knew Yuan was stronger and he seemed to depend on her.

 

“What does my darling need from me?” Luna said with a cheeky smile. There were many meanings behind her speech and actions. First the cheeky smile meant that whatever she said could be taken as a joke therefore protecting her if Yuan took offense. Second, the word darling suggested that they had a close relationship. Although they had been getting very close over the last few days they were yet to make a romantic motivated move on each other. She deliberately said this in front of powerful people to show her relationship to the man they currently feared the most.

 

Luna did fear that Yuan would reject her advances but to her surprise he seemed quite happy with her choice of words. “Yes you’re darling dearest here doesn’t know how to deal with the situation could you help me out?” he said earnestly as if he really was in a panicked mindset.

 

Yuan was bedridden and was simply a consumer of content to pass the days by. He had never formally attended school and he definitely doesn't have a degree in politics. Yuan understands that he holds the upper hand here because of his Celestial realm status but he also doesn't know what the proper procedure would be and didn’t want to cross a line. I mean he had just killed the current king of a city with a 10 million population there’s no way he can now just walk away without having to pay the city or something right? Is there a prison in this world? 

 

“Sure darling I can help you, oh yea this is for you~” Luna sat on Yuan’s lap and handed him Winston Vidford’s storage ring. Yuan just looked at the ring curiously before putting it on. He mentally transferred the contents of the ring over to his own storage ring. Checking his own storage ring his face lit up at the contents.

100 High Grade Spirit Stones

 

72 Medium Grade Spirit Stones

 

4000 Gold

 

1x Heaven grade sword

 

This ring seemed to contain every day essentials for a Divine realm ruler. He had enough money in here to satisfy most issues he could come across while also containing his sword to fly around on.

 

Although the sword and gold were nice, the real win are the spirit stones. Yuan would finally be able to use his Shop feature now that he had some currency to spend. Yuan was expecting to get punished for killing a king but instead he was being rewarded? A little confused but happy nonetheless Yuan was almost ready to walk out there and then.

 

Luckily for Yuan he had an ambitious ‘girlfriend’ “Yuan why don’t you ask to be the king of the city?” Everyone in the room held their breath, what Luna said was true. Yuan could technically take over the city with his power and the officials could do nothing but wait until they could gather funds to hire a Celestial realm assassin to get rid of him later. But even that was a terrible solution. Yuan would properly just empty out the city’s vaults of valuables and leave before being killed. Not to mention the extreme price of hiring the Celestial realm cultivator and who’s to say the person they hired wouldn’t turn on them and demand ownership of the city as well?

 

Emilia’s face darkened as her whole future would be decided by this cultivator's next sentence. Much to her surprise Yuan had taken her face complexion into his decision making. To Yuan Emilia looked really scary and he wanted nothing to do with her.

 

Yuan let out a light cough to bring attention to himself which was meaningless since all eyes were already glued to him. “Luna, are u trying to get me killed from overwork?” Yuan said in a light hearted and joking tone “I could never manage a city on my own, nor do I want to. I only came here to eat some food and relax anyways.”

 

Confusion could be seen on everyone's face, including Luna. Only Sebastian the butler kept his emotionless face on because well he was emotionless after all.

 

Luna saw her future slipping away. She was glad that Yuan was happy to let her sit on his lap and call her darling but what use is that if he just wants to eat food all day. This was a golden opportunity to get some benefits with no drawbacks. They were the ones in control. Why couldn’t Yuan see that?

 

“Darling what about a noble title”, Yuan pondered for a moment before replying “Won’t I need land to my name to manage? I want to stay here in the city to explore, I don’t want my own territory right now”.

 

To Luna this didn’t make sense but here is Yuan’s reasoning. He had only just got to this world and wanted to explore what it had to offer before settling down. He knew he had no limit on his life span being in the Celestial realm so to be tied down only a week after coming into the world seemed like a worst case scenario. He also didn’t have enough knowledge of this world to be able to navigate the political landscape and keep a territory safe.

 

Emilia saw this as a golden opportunity. “Dignified cultivator we were in the wrong in this situation and wish to repay you, I understand that you want to remain here in the city. We have a perfect arrangement for you.”

 

“As you know there is a large mountain in the middle of our city which used to be a mine. There is also some grass land surrounding it used as a public park before the noble district starts. To be a noble you need land to your name. What if I provided you the mountain and surrounding park as you’re territory. It's right in the centre of the city and needs no management as it has no residents!”.

 

As Emilia said this was indeed the perfect arrangement. Yuan would become a noble, he would have the largest plot of land in the entire capital while also needing no management skills!

 

On Emilia’s side this was a way to tie a Celestial realm cultivator down to their city while only providing him a hollowed out mountain with no resources and some public park space. Considering they expected Yuan to demand millions of gold or thousands of spirit stones as compensation to only give away some useless land seemed like a bargain.

 

The council members nodded approvingly seeing through Emilia’s scheme and quick thinking. Luna also saw through it and was about to protest and demand more compensation but Yuan spoke up first.

 

“Brilliant idea, I'll take it” he said with a grin on his face. Luna simply sighed at the missed opportunity but seeing that Yuan was happy she could only concede to Emilia this time round.

Author notes:

 

Hey guys hope you’re enjoying the story :D

 

10 Chapters already and many more to come. Thanks for all the views on both RoyalRoad and Scribble Hub. I appreciate it alot!

 

Please leave a review or rating if you can as it helps others find the story and the more people that see it the more motivated I'll be to release chapters >:)

8