Sea of Sin (Part III)
178 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seagulls, the damn seagulls Tycon thought as he woke to their screeching. His head throbbed and he winced at the pain then sat up in his bed. He glanced out the window to see it was yet another sunny day. Not a cloud in the sky.

The rays pierced through the window and illuminated the floor. He rolled over and sat on the side of the bed with his head in his hands and sighed. The night before hadn't gone too well and Tycon suffered the consequences, but despite it all, he had learned of something that troubled him.

A plot to assassinate the Duchess. The first thing he had planned was to speak to Captain Vera as she held information that he could plan around. Of course, he could ask anyone when the Duchess was set to appear before the city folk but it was best left between him, Balin, Eva, Grey, and Vera.

He wondered where Grey had wandered off to, he hadn't seen him since they first initially met the day before. Balin didn't seem to know and neither did Eva. Tycon got the impression that Grey somehow knew who the last target was and it was personal. As long as he didn't hinder the hunt, he could hunt the target for as long as he wished. A part of him felt that maybe Grey was somehow involved in all this.

A knock on his door pulled him from his thoughts.

"Come in," Tycon called and the door swung open.

On the other side was Balin, now clad again in his armor with his sword clasped to his belt and shield strung on his back. Every slight movement he made was followed by chainmail jiggling and armor plates clattering. He wasn't a very subtle man but he didn't need to be. 

"Hey, Tycon. We gotta go and see Vera." Balin said. Pointing backward over his shoulder with his thumb.

Tycon nodded and gathered his charcoal coat and pulled on his black boots. He reached for his daggers but stopped remembering where they had ended up. He needed a new weapon, something temporary for he fully intended to get his daggers back. They were more than just simply daggers, they had a sentimental value that simply couldn't be replaced. Once he got them back, he knew he'd slit Jinx's throat with them. He reveled in the thought.

Arriving at the bottom of the stairs, he saw Evaline waiting for him. She didn't look too happy, though that wasn't outside the norm for her. He'd learned that rather quickly in the short time he had known both her and Bolin.

"You ready?" She asked, cocking her head toward the door.

"Yeah and you?" Tycon replied.

"Always," She said and for the first time since he had met her, a smile crept on her lips.

Balin placed a hand on her shoulder and gave her a light kiss on the head, her face flushed for a moment but she soon returned a kiss. Tycon pretended not to notice too much.

"So where are we headed?" Tycon asked.

Eva beckoned him to follow her outside and he obeyed. Once they reached some high ground she silently pointed out to the horizon where a lone island sat. From where Tycon stood it looked like a large rectangular stone building sat on top of the island and he remembered passing it on the way in.

"Selenicar prison," Tycon said.

"Indeed," Eva replied. "That's where Vera is right now."

Balin sighed "It's gonna take forever to get there."

Balin was right, It did take forever to get there. They made their way down to the docks and got passage on a boat to the remote island,  for free of course. All transport while in the service of the Duchess and her guard was free. Tycon was thankful for it because he was absolutely broke.

He hadn't realized just how tall the walls of the prison were until he was standing before them. They stood eleven meters high and Made from stone, he wondered if it were more secure than Selenicar Palace that stood high above the city in terms of wall fortitude. Location was a different thing entirely.

They were greeted at the gates by a chubby prison guard who had a thick, black mustache and wore both the chainmail and tabard similar to Vera the day before. 

"Welcome to Selenicar prison," The man said in a low, raspy voice as he beckoned the three to follow him.

Neither He, Balin or Eva said a thing as they made their way through the cold stone corridors of the prison. There was seldom light with a pitch-black darkness between each torch. Tycon glanced into the cells as they walked, most of the prisoners were quiet, sitting alone in silence. Every now and then a prisoner would notice their echoing footsteps and peer out through the bars at them. Most of their gazes falling to Eva specifically. She seemed to have noticed too, though she didn't react too noticeably. Tycon could see the growing tension in her shoulders, giving away a desire to sock each and every prisoner ogling her in the face.

The three eventually reached a large iron door with a window in its center, the guard tapped the glass lightly in a specific rhythm and with a clank, he heard the door unlock and slowly swing open. On the other side was Vera, sitting on a desk lazily with her legs over one another and sipping coffee. Her eyes widened once again at the sight of the bounty hunters. Her eyes darted for a moment and she spoke.

"Wheres the other guy?" She asked.

"God knows where," Balin replied. Vera nodded, she looked a little confused.

"So how come you guys are here?" 

Both Balin and Eva looked to Tycon and he stepped forward.

"I come with some troubling news," He watched for Vera's reaction, then continued, "I believe I've caught wind on a plot to assassinate the Duchess of Selenicar,"

Veras' eyes did not move from his, she studied him.

"When is she set to appear for the festivities?" Eva asked. Vera quickly shifted her gaze from Tycon to Eva who was scratching her chin.

 "Tomorrow at midday. If what you say is true, I'll have to call for her to withdraw from her appearance."

"No," Tycon blurted and all eyes fell once again, to him.

"I know Jinx is involved and if he is, it could mean Sinclair and the other criminal too. If she sets out for her appearance as planned, we could draw them all into one place."

Vera shook her head.

"The risk is too great, I will not use the Duchess as bait."

Tycon swore and began pacing "By doing this, we can get rid of the threat of all three simultaneously and in turn, prevent future victims."

Vera did not seem convinced and Tycon was growing impatient. He knew the risk was great but he was confident they could do this.

Balin leaned against a nearby wall "You should listen to him Captain," he said, nodding toward Tycon.

"No," Vera replied, "As I've said already. I will not use the Duchess as bait."

The room fell quiet, Tycon's patience began to wear thin when suddenly Eva spoke. Her voice flat.

"I have an idea," She said and all of their faces immediately turned to her, including Tycon, "What if I disguise myself as the Duchess? Nothing a bit of make-up and a wig can't do."

The three bounty hunters then faced Vera who was rubbing her chin, in deep thought. 

"If this is to stop all three at once and you're willing to risk your life, then so be it," She pointed to Eva, "You're coming with me to the palace."

"I'm going too," Balin said. 

Vera hesitated but soon nodded. 

"Then it's agreed," Tycon said, "I'll try and meet up with Grey and see if he's learned anything."

All four of them nodded. They had a plan now but Tycon needed to know if Grey had learned anything. There was still much more to plan outside of the initial disguise. They had to plant guards as well as themselves in strategical positions to make sure nothing went wrong. Tycon intended to strategize as soon as the plants were seeded. He knew that he could never find Grey on his own, so he simply decided to wait. 

                                                                             *******************

 It was late afternoon by the time Tycon had arrived by the beach, he waited there for a few minutes and surprisingly he saw Grey walking towards him. He was still masked and wore his tight leather suit. He stuck out like a sore thumb on the beach. Tycon could tell Grey was uncomfortable by how his shoulders were stiff, though he didn't lose his gaze on Tycon for a moment. That and his increasingly menacing strides brought a chill down his spine. He always came off as if he were hunting prey. The persona itself was intimidating but he never entirely found his presence reassuring.

Grey caught up with Tycon and they both fell in step on the shoreline of the beach. The waves were small, yet loud. He found the crashing sound to be therapeutic. It always came and went with rhythm, like nature's song. 

Grey was silent, both his steps and voice. Tycon figured that he would have to be the one to initiate conversation.

"So, did you learn anything about the third target?" Tycon asked.

Grey nodded and spoke with his low, gruff and muffled voice.

"More than you know," He said. 

Tycon always had a sneaking suspicion that it was somehow personal for Grey. Ever since he had left the tavern without a word the day before. Whoever the third target was, he just hoped it wouldn't jeopardize the mission. Tycon pondered whether he should ask Grey what his relation is to the third target but decided not to. Figuring he wouldn't tell him anyway.

"Give me some details," Tycon said, looking out to the prison on the horizon.

"He's a sniper," Grey replied, "I'll have him in my sights when the time comes."

"How do you know what's going to happen?"

"I was there too," Grey motioned toward the prison.

Tycon didn't bother questioning it. He probably climbed a window and eavesdropped on the conversation. Tycon guessed it was to avoid being seen by the enemies spies. Assuming they hadn't been seen at the tavern, the presence of Grey could prove to be a great advantage in the coming mission. Tycon admired Grey's skills, he wondered where or how he had been trained.

"That doesn't give me much to work with," Tycon stated.

"You'll just have to trust me," Grey replied, coldly.

"Trust you? You can't even trust us enough to explain what you plan to do!"

They stopped, both facing the ocean.

"Whether you trust me or not isn't a concern. Just know I'll be there."

Grey turned and left, leaving Tycon gazing into the distant ocean alone. He was concerned and didn't trust Grey much at all. He hoped that he would have come through on the information but was left disappointed. He didn't have a choice, he would have to trust that Grey would take care of the third member. It was all he could do. He sat in the sand and grabbed some, letting it pour from his hands, watching it closely. A metaphor for the time that would soon draw near. He felt butterflies form in his stomach.

Excitement, or, Fear He thought. He couldn't tell.

The sun had begun to set. The pink and orange glow reflected from the choppy ocean waters. Tycon admired the view and watched distant ships come and go from the port. Their silhouettes like distant specks on the horizons line. Seagulls dotted the sky, flying in line with the wind direction majestically. He never thought he would ever find the birds beautiful but at this moment, with orange rays piercing through the clouds. They looked magnificent.

5