Chapter 8
898 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A five-year-old boy stood in the shadows, looking out to the window. "You will be wedded to Duke Reynard's third daughter, the youngest one. She has no ability that runs within her. Those who speak of her with no ability can be sentenced to death by her father, so we cannot speak of it openly unless you wish to fight against him." The boy's father said while the boy only looked outside the window.

Knowing that he was the heir to the Zameth kingdom, he held such responsibility for a domain when living in another. "Such a nuisance." He said, which he found annoying.
***
Heading home, it was very late with Duke Reynard exhausted and still upset with the emperor. Holding his head, he didn't think that their decision would be so quick. 'Mila, will you blame me.' He thought, not wanting to see her saddened face of knowing the truth in the future.

He went into his room to see Mila and Leo sleeping on his bed, making it back home. He couldn't help but scoff and smile down, seeing his two children. Kissing both of their heads, he fell asleep with both of them in his arms.
***
Mila had wanted to wait for her father to come back. She had made it herself to her father's room. "Why are you in father's room?" Leo was studying in their father's room. He carried Mila up in his arms, with Mila smiling.

"I miz father," Mila said.

"It's okay. He'll be back soon. Let us both wait here for him." Leo had placed Mila down onto their father's bed, but both had fallen asleep in no time.

Mila awoke to see her father was finally back. She knew that she shouldn't cry, but the thought of him being so far away for a bit had her cry. Mila started crying with both Leo and Duke Reynard waking up. "Father!!!" Mila cried, hugging Duke Reynard, who smiled, seeing that she missed him.

"Father is back home." Duke Reynard said and petted her head. 'I don't know how I will have you marry so far away from home. I don't think I will be able to part from you too long.' Knowing how he had become so attached to his daughter, Duke Reynard thought.

Mila had spent the morning with Leo and Duke Reynard. She ate with them all the whole morning and found herself in the garden once more with her father and Leo talking alone in his office. Mila then noticed something a Crested Eye Quetzal. "Very pwtty." She said, going close to it. 'I wonder if it is just a wild beast that hangs around.' She thought to herself.

Seeing how beautiful it was, she smiled and petted the Crested Eye Quetzal. It didn't seem to mind which Mila was happy she could pet it. It soon flew away once Sara showed up. "Lady Mila, it's time for your bath." Mila saw the Quetzal leave, hoping that it showed up again.
***
[Your Highness, I've taken a look at Lady Mila.] The Crested Eye Quetzal said, landing on the five-year-old boy's shoulder.

"Jero, what was she like with you around?" He asked his fellow beast, who looked calmly.

[She didn't mind me. She called me pretty.] Jero said, knowing what he heard.

"Is that so? So young for a one-year-old child to say." The boy said but ignored it and smiled. "She may not be special in any way, but she is a smart one. Let's see what awaits in the future for us." He said, letting Jero go back and rest. "We'll meet soon."
***
Four years later...

Mila was four years old, about to be five, with more accurate words, which she was finally happy about. Learning how to write, she already knew how since she wasn't a child anyway, to begin with. 'I can finally feel smarter, and I am talking much better! Thank the heavens!!!!' She sighed, knowing that it was odd, but she was happy now. Writing down everything, her teacher was a simple teacher who was assigned to teach her simple things for the time being. Mila felt bored knowing that she had already learned it all. She wanted to know how to fight in the future than to depend on others.

"Lady Mila, are you feeling alright?" Looking back to her teacher, Angela Chav. Her teacher didn't have any beasts nor any abilities, but her teacher was born from one of the families of Baron rank. Born only with the birthmark, but no skills or elements.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just..." Mila didn't know what to say.

"Do you miss your father?" Angela asked, knowing that the rumors were true that Mila was the favored daughter of the Noble Family.

Mila just nodded and looked at her writing on her desk. Angela didn't have much to say, but she was the same as Mila with her birth.

"Take the rest of the day off. You already finished all of your work." Angela smiled, taking her papers while Mila smiled.

"Thank you!" Mila rushed off and left her room. Knocking on her father's office door, she entered once she heard her father allow her in. "Father!" Mila ran, hugging him since he stood up leaning against his desk.

"Mila, what are you doing here?"

"I missed father!" Mila said, hugging him which he just smiled, petting her head.

"You need to finish your homework. Your teacher is one of the best I hired to help you." Duke Reynard didn't understand how Mila would always finish class early and meet him.

"I finished. Lady Angela is very kind, and she says that I am brilliant! I finished my lessons and homework without struggling!" Mila grumbled, seeing how he doubted her.

"Alright, I know my little princess is smart. Don't worry." Duke Reynard was messing with Mila as he saw her getting annoyed.

"I'm not a princess!" Mila spoke out her thoughts and then hid them, knowing how comfortable she was with her father. "I am father's daughter!!!"

"To me, you are a princess, but my princess." Both gave each other a smile which Mila never expected her father to be so kind and caring towards her. She felt pretty stupid to know that she didn't trust him then. "Did you want to talk to me about something?" Duke Reynard didn't know why but he had a feeling as if she wanted to ask something.

Mila was a bit nervous about asking since more women would not be allowed to fight. "Can I learn how to use a sword???" Mila asked, wanting to be able to defend herself. "I don't have any ability or symbol, so I want to be able to defend myself," Mila said, looking at her father desperately.

"Hm, let's see first. Come with me." Duke Reynard held Mila's hand. They had gone somewhere to a hidden room where Duke Reynard kept his work and papers. A large crystal didn't look to be in the best condition at the center of the room. "This is what usually determines your abilities." Duke Reynard demonstrates as he places his palm onto it. The crystal started glowing red and then grey. "See, my abilities are fire and smoke. Go ahead and try it."

Mila went forth and placed her palm onto the crystal. Waiting, the crystal just stayed dim and unchanged. She just looked down, disappointed in herself. "I'm sorry, father. I make the Noble Family look terrible."

22