Chapter 9
843 2 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Duke Reynard knew that the chances of her having an ability or element also was slim. "It's okay. I'm glad that you won't have to be too involved in the danger or the world." Duke Reynard knew that no one would harm her but being a royal family made her a target. "When your older, then I'll have you start taking lessons." Duke Reynard wanted to avoid Mila from tainting her hands in blood.

Being involved with political affairs and the war would change how one grows. Mila was still young, and he didn't want her to be in it, but sadly, she has still wed the heir of Zameth. "Father, are you not upset with me?" Mila asked, noticing how Duke Reynard had a bit of a bothered look.

"I'm not upset with you. You were just not born with it, but it doesn't mean that I can blame you. These things happen, so do not worry about it." Duke Reynard didn't want Mila to think about it. "Let's go."

Duke Reynard took Mila out of the hidden room, and they met with Leo, who was waiting patiently in their father's office. "Father, I wish to speak to you alone."

"Leo!" Mila hugged Leo after and smiled up at him.

"Sorry, Mila. I need to speak to father right now." Leo had a severe facial expression on which had Mila was a bit concerned and worried. "I'll see you later." He said, wanting Mila not to misunderstand his attitude that he was upset with her.

"Okay!" Mila rushed out of the room and decided to see the Crested Eye Quetzal in the garden. 'Hm, I wonder why Leo is so upset.' Running to the park, she saw it there and smiled. "You’re back!" Petting the little bird, he just smiled and chirped. Mila then saw a small letter tied to its feet and had it fly to her room rather than the garden, which was too open. Opening the letter, Mila was quite surprised that the bird had its owner or rather a master.

'My fellow friend here tells me that you've been feeding him and spending time with him. Thank you for being so kind to him. His name is Jero.'

There were no signatures or initials to tell who it was from. "Your master is very secretive. Since they wrote back to me, then I'll write back." Mila had rushed to get a small letter and pen. 'It would be good to start having more connections.' She thought to make it easier for her in the future if necessary.

'My name is Mila. Your friend is quite the beauty. It's nice to know that someone also takes care of him. His name is even nice. Will you be my friend?' - Mila

Mila smiled, allowing herself to have a friend when they didn't even know each other that well, but if he had a great comrade like Quetzal, she assumed he was harmless. "Take this to your friend. I want to get to know them."

Jero flew off with Mila waving bye to him, and headed back to the garden. "It's been a while. Didn't think that you would be in the garden." Mila turned to see Vita along with Elsie. "Not going to greet us." Luckily they had not seen the letter she had just sent off with Jero.

"It's been a while." Mila hated meeting with the two of them since they were both behind her death in her previous life.

"Hmph, not even greeting us." Vita got up close to Mila, with Elsie doing the same. "If you stay away from father, then I'll allow you to join me. You won't be bothered anymore by either of us."

"Father is father. He raised me, so I could not ignore my father since it would be rude. Maybe, if you try to spend time with our father, then he will also favor you." Mila said which Vita slapped her. Mila fell to the ground, feeling her cheek aching with pain.

"Because you were born, then he no longer has us to favor! If only you weren't born, then we wouldn't be in this situation!" Vita stepped onto Mila's ankle, which she screamed in pain and heard a pop along with the movement of Vita's stomp.

"Vita!!!" They all heard Duke Reynard, who had witnessed the entire thing.

"F-F-Father!" Vita and Elsie backed away with fear while Duke Reynard went over to see Mila's ankle.

Mila was whimpering, feeling her ankle which was likely dislocated. "Both of you go into your room. Your punishments will be settled later." Duke Reynard carried Mila, who hugged him tightly. He tried to keep his anger inside rather than suddenly burst with rage.

Being taken back to her room, Duke Reynard had summoned Bert, who came. Seeing Bert and Henry, Mila smiled, trying to hide her pained look. "No need to hide your pain. It's what makes us human." Bert said, with Henry landing next to Mila. He was angrily chirpy. Bert sighed with annoyance. "What happened to you? This ankle couldn't have dislocated on its own."

Mila didn't want to reveal anything; she wanted to save her vengeance for her sisters another time when it was right. "I was being clumsy and tried climbing a tree." Mila figured that it could be convincing since enough pressure doing something could dislocate one's ankle.

"Are you sure?" Bert eyed Mila, not trusting her words. He had her ankle wrapped up, looking to Mila. "I won't force you to tell me, but perhaps you can tell your father. I'll come back in a month or two." Bert had everything and left with Henry sadly chirping.

"Why didn't you tell the truth?" Duke Reynard was upset, which Mila knew also.

"Father, they only wish to have your attention and affection. I am merely a child born from a maid. Even this scar tells my story behind my past." Mila rubbed her leg, which had the scar of the knife that her mother tried to kill her.

"Do you remember what your mother did to you?" Duke Reynard wanted to know if Mila could recall any of it as an infant.

"Just faintly, my mother held the knife towards me as an infant." Mila stopped, knowing that it was enough for her to explain.

"It was my fault that she did that to you. I won't let you be harmed again. If you want to hate me, then you can hate me. I won't be mad." Duke Reynard turned away while Mila got up and hugged him from behind.

"I'm not mad, father. I'm mad for letting you down." Mila hugged him tightly, seeing how he kept her protected as much as he could—having only him and Leo who could save her from death’s door.

26