Chapter 10
912 1 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Duke Reynard turned around and knelt to face Mila at the same height. "Silly girl, I don't hate you for being born. I'm rather happy that you were born." Wiping her eyes, he smiled, kissing her head.

"Really?" Mila asked, hoping that he wasn't just saying words to cheer her up. 'Don't hurt my feelings. Our misunderstandings in the past life have brought us this far now with my new start.'

"Yes, I am delighted that you were born." Duke Reynard was truthful with his words, and he didn't want to lie to Mila. Mila smiled, hugging him with tears; she didn't know how she misunderstood her father and brother in the past when they were more kind-hearted than she knew.

Mila was stuck in her room now; her sisters were given the punishment of no allowance for two months which she found as a light punishment. It was already harsh enough for Vita since she loved to spend on new clothes or tea parties with other high-class girls. Sitting down on her bed, Mila found it boring with nothing to do. "I'm bored," Mila said, looking up to the ceiling with nothing to do.

"Mila?!" Leo came into her room and saw her ankle bandaged up.

"Don't worry." Mila smiled, looking to see how worried Leo was for her. "This is something that I can survive." She assured Leo that she wasn't that weak.

"You idiot! Do you hate me or something?!" Mila was a bit shocked to hear how upset Leo was with her. "I'll be going away for school. I won't see you for a few years, and you have never called me once for help." Leo said, going close to Mila.

'Leo...' Mila smiled gently and knew he was worried about her. "Leo, I can't always depend on you. You're my big brother, and I look up to you a lot. Thank you for worrying about me." Mila hugged him, and Leo just sighed, knowing how he couldn't make her ask for his help. Only she could make up her mind.

"Alright, you better be sure to write to me. I haven't been so far away from you. You are my baby sister, and I'm not around to help you when I go to school." Leo said, looking to Mila, who nodded. He left her after spending some time with her.

Mila was alone again; she heard knocking at her window and saw Jero. 'That was quick.' Mila grabbed onto her crutches and started her way towards the window. "Hi, Jero." Mila opened to hug him and then saw a letter on his leg. Taking the note, she didn't know what their response was.

'A friend? Hmm, I didn't think that would be so soon. A friend of Jero's is a friend of mine. He is rarely kind to anyone, but for you, it's different. I cannot tell you my identity, but you can call me ZH. Nice to meet you, Mila.' - ZH

Mila smiled, knowing that she could call them something, but she still didn't know who they were. "Tell ZH that I said I hope we get to know each other from here on out." Mila smiled, petting Jero's head. Seeing Jero fly off, Mila had used her crutches to get back to her bed and rest for the night.
***
"Father, I won't be able to keep an eye on Mila. You also do not have the time to keep an eye on her. What are you going to do?" Leo asked Duke Reynard, who knew also. "Mila is either way in danger inside and outside of our mansion."

"Who is the knight that you met before? The knight that is usually with Mila and Sara?" Duke Reynard asked, knowing what to do.

"Emmett Larance," Leo said, knowing why his father asked. The poisoning incident a few years ago was found to be the work of someone within their mansion which the same knight was the one who stopped the servant without even knowing the reason to stop them. They were still trying to find out who the servant had worked for—focusing back to the main point with the knight in training.

Duke Reynard recalled the meeting with Leo, and he sat down in his chair. Looking at his papers, he was waiting for Emmett Larance. Hearing the knocking at his door, "Come in."

Entering inside of his room, Emmett greeted Duke Reynard. "Your Grace, you wanted to speak to me." Emmett looked to see that Duke Reynard wasn't known to be kind. He had a stern look that made most knights wish not to work alongside him.

"Do you know my daughter?" Duke Reynard asked Emmett, who didn't think the Duke would know.

"Yes, she is a very bright child. She is also strong and smart. I do not wish to harm her. She is very much like a kindred fairy that I would protect with my life." Emmett said, letting his honest words be told.

"I have called you here because I wanted you to be my daughter's shadow knight." Hearing those words, Emmett didn't think that he would ask him to do such an important job. "You may still be a knight in training, but I have seen through your records that you have a unique method. Along with being born with a shadow ability." Duke Reynard said, not going further into details.

Emmett knew he had killed many, but it was his duty as a knight. He was also an illegitimate child of one of the Viscounts, which he didn't want to stain Mila's status or title. "With my title, I do not think it would be appropriate for me to be Lady Mila's shadow guard."

"I know of your background, but I can see that you are the only knight that she seems to be close to, along with being more familiar with you. I only ask that you meet her when you know you will still know her well enough to guard her. She does not need to know of your appearance or existence when she doesn't see you or when you are on duty." Duke Reynard said, ensuring Emmett that Mila didn't have to know.

Emmett was still unsure, but he had been getting to know Mila and Sara, who were likely the only ones not afraid of him. "If it's for my Lady, then I shall do as I am asked." Emmett bowed with Duke Reynard knowing that he picked the right knight.
***
Mila didn't know why but she felt insecure whenever she went outside her room. She felt that there was always someone behind her, which made her a little creeped out.

'I wonder if she noticed yet.' Emmett was secretly hiding in the shadows and looking over Mila, waiting for Leo.

"Leo!" Mila hugged Leo, who smiled, knowing that he would be leaving for school.

"Don't get too lonely without me," Leo said, petting her head.

"I'll send a letter as much as I can! I feel like you would be more lonely without me!" Mila didn't want to make Leo upset since she somehow had to make him feel better. Leo smiled, looking down at her as he entered the carriage taking him to his school where he would live and learn for the next few years.

Mila waved goodbye but avoided any tears from falling. Once the carriage had left, Mila felt a hand pet her head making her look up to see her father. "He'll be fine." Both father and daughter looked to another with a smile.

27