Chapter 13
757 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mila's birthday had passed with a family meeting being held next. Entering inside the main family meeting room, Mila saw her half-siblings who hated her. "Mila, come and sit down." She then noticed her step-mothers who were all there with her father having her sit next to him.

Lady Thali with the same red and pink eyes just like Vita. Lady Nance with the same green eyes like Elsie but brown hair like Darren.

"Why did you bring her here? She can't even bring back a beast if she went to the event." Lady Thali looked to Mila with a disapproving look.

Duke Reynard didn't think that they would actually start wanting to keep Mila out of the picture. "We cannot leave a family out. It is set in the rule that every child of nobility must go. It would look terrible for the Noble Family. Do not think of misspeaking out of place." Duke Reynard gave Lady Thali a glare which she just stopped to listen with annoyance. "It's once again the Dukes status to attend the event for their children. As you all know, we cannot give the wrong impression to the emperor and empress. The rules have long been set since three generations ago from the previous emperor and empress." Duke Reynard reminded them about it all the time when the event was going to occur.

Everyone understood that the rules were created to avoid any deaths of young children. With the rule of avoiding a child's death was highly strict due to the curse that resided within the Mireraweth kingdom that only the dukes know of. Mila always wondered if there was any witness or anyone at all who maybe saw the beginning of the curse. Although, the curse did help children live from deaths door. Even Mila herself was one of the lucky children in the kingdom to be alive now.

"The event will be held soon, everyone has to be sure to be ready. We all already have one beast, but if there is another then you can form a contract if it is not taken yet." Duke Reynard looked to them all and his eyes landed on Mila who still had none. Knowing that Mila didn't have any beasts of her own, and it would be her first year going to one of the events.

Mila knew that her father was worried and concerned for her, but she already had a beast that was awaiting her arrival. She would have to keep her a secret from them to avoid any troubles and rumors from spreading too quickly that she could actually use a beast. She wanted to still be seen as a useless nobody to avoid being involved in any political business and to avoid more trouble with her sisters. Along with avoiding the emperor's harem which she knew was in fact the emperor's favorite thing to do when he was free.

She was glad that her father wasn't so much into harems. He was good enough as a father who only focused on his work more than women who come up or try to have his child. Mila knew from her past life that the emperor would soon pass away in his early sixties. At the moment he was still in his late forties, so he had time still to enjoy himself, but no other heirs. Only his one son with the empress, Prince Leroy.

Knowing how he was, she didn't want to think about the emperor's son. Before she was to be wedded to her last fiancé, the emperor had called forth a public meeting to start war with Zameth kingdom since there was no daughter to be wedded to the heir of Zameth.

Having all the past knowledge, Mila was glad that she could be able to know of some future events. If they were not changed yet. Now that she thought about it, the time that her father went to meet the emperor could've been the discussion of a person to be wedded to the Zameth heir. Also, there was no announcement of war occurring with the Zameth kingdom either. 'Who is the fiancé then?! What happened?!' Mila was lost in her own thoughts since there was no war that would occur this time with the Zameth kingdom that would crumble.

She didn't have a single clue about it and if she were to just ask her father out of nowhere then things would get rather suspicious. "Mila? Mila?" Her focus came back once she had then noticed Sara quietly calling to her.

"W-What???" Mila looked to see that everyone's attention was on her. "I'm sorry. I was thinking about something."

"Probably thinking about how useless you would be." Darren mocked her which his mother then lightly pinched his hand.

"Don't be spouting nonsense." Lady Nance didn't want her or her children to be punished since the rumors were true of the Duke loving his youngest daughter.

"We will have a week to get ready. We will discuss the rest later within the week." Duke Reynard sent them all out besides Mila. Mila smiled sitting on the couch and looked to Duke Reynard who was looking over some paperwork.

"Father?" Mila got down from the couch and smiled from the other side of the desk that she stood on. Duke Reynard couldn't help but smile to hear her innocent and sweet voice.

"Hm?" He looked up to see Mila standing and looking to him.

"Don't overwork and overthink about it all. I'll be okay when the event happens." Mila didn't want him to be worried when the actual thing happened. She didn't want him to worry about her the entire time. He wouldn't be able to focus on his duty to stand by the emperor and empress while they would be waiting for the return of the children.

"I know you will." Duke Reynard got up and went over to Mila as he carried her. "Don't get into too much trouble. If you get into trouble then use this whistle." Duke Reynard had taken out a whistle that was the shape of a scale but had a fire symbol on it.

"What is it?" Mila asked looking to it in her hands now.

"It's my own whistle from my very own beast. His name is Trey and if you are in danger then he will come immediately to save you while I am stuck with the emperor." Duke Reynard knew that he couldn't leave the main location.

"I got it! Thank you father!" Mila smiled and hugged him.
***
On the outside of the room, Vita was hiding with Elsie where they were hearing the entire conversation that their father had been talking about with Mila. "Why does she always get everything while we get nothing?!" Vita angrily held her hand in a fist while Elsie was also jealous but never showed it. "Just wait, we'll definitely take what is ours!" Vita said walking off ahead with Elsie following behind her.

20