Chapter 15
766 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Did my father ask you to watch me from the shadows?" Mila turned to see that Emmett had a surprised look at how quickly Mila knew of her presence.

"Your father is only looking after you. He does not wish for you to be harmed in any way since he struggles to keep an eye on you by himself." Emmett didn't know how to explain it all when he had been assigned to guard her as a shadow knight, but he did choose to be her shadow knight for the reason of being her dear friend.

"Sir Emmett. You, Sara, and Trivett are my friends here. Next time, do not hide anything from me. It would make me feel like we are not even friends at all." Mila said making Emmett surprised.

"I'm sorry, my lady. If there are any punishments that you wish for me then speak it as I will go with it."

"No need. You are my friend and I do not want Sara to be worried also. She really cares about you, so do not think about such punishments." Mila smiled going towards him as she looked face to face with him. He was a little taller when he knelt down, but Mila was at least able to meet his eyes to tell that he was being honest to her.

Entering her room, Mila saw that Jero was patiently waiting at her window. Allowing him inside, she took the letter.

'I usually don't have such birthdays. I would like to keep my birthday a secret as well. Thank you for your consideration.' - ZH

Mila didn't understand how they could be so secretive. 'If they don't have a birthday, then I'll just just give them a gift. What do I give them?' Mila didn't have anything special so she looked a few times in her room. She sighed and then looked at her hair. 'This is all I can give.' Cutting a good pinkie size of her hair. She had it then decorated and tied into a bow like shape which made it into a tassel. Making sure it stayed on, Mila tied it onto Jero who was rather confused with what it was. "This is their gift." She smiled hoping that ZH would like it.
***
[Your highness, she has a gift for you.] Jero flew and landed on the desk where ZH was looking over some papers.

Seeing the ribbon hair tassel, he had removed it from Jero and smiled. "Does she even know what giving your hair means in the Zameth kingdom?" ZH asked seeing how the girl who was to be his future wife was clueless about other kingdom's culture. "Giving your hair to someone and particularly a man means that you wish to spend the rest of your life with."

[Your highness, she doesn't even know if your a man or woman.] Jero pointed out since he never revealed his real identity.

"Hm, I forgot. Well, this is my very first gift then from a... friend." ZH said and held the hair shaped as a ribbon.
***
'It's time.' Mila nervously held her hand in a fist. They all wore their armor and the girls had to wear their skirts when she didn't see how it would help in anyway when they are battling. 'Maybe women back then preferred this way to be known as a woman.' Mila sighed seeing how the skirt looked to be a bit annoying.

"Are you alright, my lady?" Emmett appeared out from behind her and ensure her that things were going to be fine. He was after all going to follow her in secret.

"I'm fine. Just a bit nervous. It's going to be my first time going out." Mila never really went out to places or even to tea parties that other women would go to.

"You'll be fine. I'll be there as well." Mila gasped seeing Leo come up behind her without giving her a notice ahead.

"Leo!" Mila hugged him and saw how he returned from his school. "Why are you back?!" She looked up to see how he was the same but more grown up. Looking to be more like their father by the passing of time that they had been apart.

"My school of course had to give the day off since it was the special event. Most kids had to attend the event anyway since it was somewhat required for every high class family." Meeting with Leo had Mila happy that she was seeing him.

"You’re back." Duke Reynard went forth to meet Leo and Mila who were waiting for him.

"Greetings, Father." Leo kept his gestures respectful since he was taught better than that.

"Are we all ready?" Duke Reynard looked around to see the carriages all ready for everyone. His wives with their children, at most a single carriage that could fit six people. "Let's go." Duke Reynard had his other children remain with their mothers and kept the other two with him. Being their only parent while they had no mother to be with them.

Mila entered inside the carriage first sitting across from her father and Leo. Emmett and Sara walked outside with the rest of the knights. "Father?" Leo called out looking to his father who turned to look at him.

"Hm?"

"..." There was a long pause which Mila didn't know if both of them had some kind of mind link to speak to each other. It was as if they were both speaking to each other in their heads to avoid Mila from knowing.

"You also have the same unsettling feeling." Duke Reynard said to Leo who nodded with his serious face.

"..." Mila didn't know what to ask since it probably involved her father and Leo only. She didn't want to cause any trouble while she was at the event. 'That's right! I have to find Vivian! I almost forgot! How am I going to find her though?' Being lost again in her own thoughts, she didn't even notice her father and Leo looking at her.

"Mila?" Hearing her father call her since she looked to be lost in her thoughts again.

"Huh?" Mila looked back to finally notice their gazes on her. "Is something wrong?"

"When we reach there, be sure to stick close to us. The emperor will be there and we know of the rumors about him." Duke Reynard didn't want Mila to catch the attention of the Emperor too much. The emperor knew how to judge women and their beauty which had Leo and Duke Reynard worry for her.

Mila also knew that the emperor was a disgusting man. She didn't think that they would have such a man who ruled the kingdom. "I understand. I'll be sure to stick close.”

21