Chapter 82
240 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Going over to Ambrose's mansion, she found his bedroom balcony, which was the highest of the rooms. 'Why the hell does his room have to be at the highest place in his home?!' Mila grumbled with anger looking through the window to see that he could live like some wizard or sorcerer in such a high place.

She sighed, sitting on the railing and looking at the moon that glimmered down, reflecting bright light, unlike the sun. Hearing the balcony doors open, she turned to see Ambrose, who still had his face and figure hidden. "You don't ever remove those, huh?" Not afraid of saying so, she knew he would not be upset or angry for mentioning it. 'He is an oddball, but he can always understand someone behind that mask.' Mila felt Ambrose was probably more kind-hearted than he looked since one could not see his face, but his actions could explain a few things.

Ambrose just walked over to Mila, looking at her sitting on the rail part of the balcony where one should lean. Going close, he placed his palms on her cheeks. Mila didn't move away but felt like crying since she remembered why she was there in the first place. She felt a similar warmth before, but she couldn't recall it very well at the moment due to the image that appeared in her head with Ambrose's death. Suddenly, she felt tears pouring down her eyes when she didn't think they would. "Ah, silly me. I can't believe I'm already like this when you're not even going anywhere yet." Mila turned her head away from Ambrose, wiping her eyes and cheeks from the tears.

Ambrose hugged her instead, making Mila cry even more, to see that he was not just someone useless since he had always stood by her side. He could hear her hiccups and sobs in his chest, knowing how worried she was for him since he was chosen to go out to the war. They hugged in silence, allowing Mila to pull herself together for the time being.

Finally, calming down, Mila didn't understand why Ambrose made her feel so emotional every time. It made her feel weak, making her think that she probably pitied him in this lifetime and the last. His life was just like hers in her last life with no purpose in it for her, but now it was completely different. Yet, she could never forget about such a past that had been gravely dug into her memories. Being ignored, alone, and with no one by their side. 'Ambrose, what did happen to you in your previous life? How did you die?' Mila thought, knowing that she had to leave now since she could never be gone from her home too long. "I have to go now." Ambrose carried her instead when she was about to jump down, surprising her that he would take action first. He had jumped down, holding her, landing on the ground easily with no worries. Mila had forgotten that he had the psychic element allowing him to make impact easier from a very high place. 'I can see why you have the room in the highest place possible.' Figuring that it may be why he was in the most secluded place in the Grave Mansion. Being set down on the ground, Mila smiled, looking up to Ambrose, who she still couldn't see what was behind the mask. "Thank you." Before she left, she turned to face Ambrose once again. "Promise me that you will not get hurt out there, okay?" Mila knew that it was pointless to say, but she at least wanted Ambrose to know that there was someone who was still waiting for him to come back home. Ambrose only stood there and nodded lightly, making it straightforward for Mila that she had to expect the worst if things didn't go too well. 'I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later.' Waving goodbye to Ambrose, Mila returned to her bedroom in the Noble Mansion, laying on her bed and tired from crying. 'Who would've thought I would cry this much in this lifetime? I'm feeling too tired as of now.' She sighed, falling asleep in her bed for the night, but she kept tossing and turning, unable to rest at ease with the same thought or image of Ambrose's death in many ways.

***

Back at the Graves's Mansion...

"Hey, I can see a 'girl' came to visit you. Are you not going to tell or write anything to her?" Perry went into Ambrose's room, seeing that his little brother was visited by none other than Mila, who would be the only girl to visit before he left. "We all know that you will be departing soon for the war. As a big brother, I only wish you would find your happiness and not be a tool for the Mireraweth kingdom." Perry patted Ambrose's shoulder, who looked at him. 'This guy knows how to keep to himself. He still does not understand that I am his one and only brother in this life. I cannot bear to see you go to war. You do not understand what I did when I heard you were going to war.' Perry had gone to his father, pleading with him to send him in Ambrose's steed, then to hear that his little brother had died in the battle. Even their father couldn't do anything since the choice and decisions were personally from the Mireraweth Emperor and his group of men to decide.

'Make sure to get married and care for everyone while I'm gone.' Ambrose only wrote down onto Perry's palm, shocking his older brother with the sudden action. It was the first time he had written to Perry since they never really got into the brotherly interaction or socializing. It was somewhat awkward every single time that Perry tried to get along with his little brother, who ended up kicking him out of the room or trying to kill him.

"Hmph, you finally write to me when it'll be our last time seeing each other until we meet again. Stay strong out there." Perry didn't understand why Ambrose was chosen, but he would have preferred to go since he cherished his little brother. 'That bastard emperor! Things would have been different if he was not tied to his harem. Yet, we have such a lousy emperor who only seeks to stay with his harem of women to please him.' Perry, without a doubt, hated the Mireraweth Emperor, who held no sense of kindness to his people who were suffering from him. Perry knew long ago that Ambrose was almost like a neglected child since birth, and it was never easy for him since he had lost his mother at a very young age. Their father tried to spend as much time with them, but he was, after all, only a father who had duties to focus on at the Mireraweth palace. Both of their mothers had passed away when they were both children or infants, leaving them in their father's care. They had endured a long childhood without their mothers in the picture, so they did not know much about women and their personal affairs. Being left with their father only, but it was until Perry found someone who was supposed to be his future wife, Iris. He was against it at first but soon came to know Iris as a unique character from the rest of the women he had encountered in his life. Recalling back to when they first met, he smiled to think about how Iris had body-slammed him into the ground at their first encounter.

After meeting with Ambrose, his little brother had shut the door in front of his face yet again, but it didn’t bother him this time. Sitting at his desk, Perry looked over the paperwork handed to him by the Mireraweth Emperor. His little brother would be one to get rid of the rest of the duke's children since no one favored him, but he was a disfigured fellow that people found repulsive in the Mireraweth Kingdom. 'What were they thinking when they voted for him?' Perry wanted to know why Ambrose was picked from the rest of the children. 'Is it because they are trying to weaken the Graves household? Or are they trying to eliminate some noble people in the group?' Many questions lingered in Perry's head since they did not add up.

Ambrose was no longer a child that did not pertain to the curse of Mireraweth’s kingdom, so it would not take effect. Once a noble child in the Mireraweth Kingdom reached sixteen, their age could not count as a child. They could die without the curse taking effect to harm the kingdom. "Tsk, this is too annoying." Perry rubbed his head, feeling that it was extremely out of the ordinary with what goes on at the meetings in the Mireraweth palace, which he found rather pointless if the emperor did not care about anything but his own needs.

***

Early the next day...

"Mila? You don't look so good. You look a little off this morning." Luce was outside having tea with Mila, who looked exhausted for the first time. She had bags under her eyes again, which was very noticeable this time. "Did you sleep at all last night?" Even though Mila wore her makeup and had one eye covered, Luce could still see puffiness in one of her eyes. 'What happened? She is usually more active and energetic than this?' Luce felt the matter this time was much bigger than the last few times.

Sigh, "I heard you ran away from your lessons again." Leo was also there and sat beside Luce, not even thinking about why Mila could have cried unless it was a practical or bothersome matter. Seeing Mila had bags under her single visible eye, she could barely keep herself awake to continue their little lunch.

"Huh? What did you both say?" Mila mumbled, trying to word things out. Along with trying to listen to what they were talking about. 'My sleep has been ruined due to depression.' Mila looked down at her cup, which was holding steady liquid inside.

"Did you perhaps cry last night?" Luce mentioned making Leo set his teacup down. Mila could sense the heat around making her shiver, knowing that it was Leo emitting anger silently. "Who broke your heart?!" Luce started saying in a more protective attitude since she saw Mila as her little sister.

"N-No! It's nothing like that! I couldn't sleep." Mila didn't want to be seen like she had been crying when she was. She kept tossing and turning endlessly in bed with visions of Ambrose's death that replayed over and over in her head. On top of that, she was already struggling to sleep, with the last nightmares returning to haunt her.

"Mila, what is going on?" Leo wanted a clear explanation from Mila at that moment. He had the whole day to himself, so he patiently waited for Mila to speak up.

Mila sadly looked down at her cup of tea right in front of her. "Leo, is it true that Lord Ambrose will be going out to fight against the Maedda kingdom?" Mila lightly rubbed her thumb on the handle part of the cup.

***

A/N: My safe haven (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

9