Chapter – 3
817 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Oh Harry, it’s fine. Mommy doesn’t blame you, I really don’t. Here, I found a picture book for you. It was your first time using magic, how could you know?” Lily asked, stroking his hair.

The house had been fixed by now, though that could not be said for Lily Potter’s mind. Trying to use magic without a wand, at such an age too! Should she be proud, scared, angry? All three?

“Mommy, I want to use magic, can you teach me?” Harry asked.

Lily stared, unsure how to respond. From other children, it may have raised no suspicion. Harry’s face was the very image of childish innocence, much like theirs. But what was it with his eyes? She could see something else behind them, like a snake swimming just below the surface of a pond. Watching, waiting, hungry. Almost as if, almost as if he wanted the power to control, to devour. Lily shivered again, like she always did when she saw those eyes. Did they really belong to her son? She dismissed herself, that was stupid. Harry was not a normal child, but a child nonetheless.

“Harry, you need a wand to use magic properly. You can’t get a wand until you are eleven. I’m sure you can wait until then. ” Lily said. But could he wait? Her little Harry, who could already burn a building and summon a river? How much damage would he cause before he was granted the control of a wand? Lily bit her lip as she realized she didn’t know. Dare she wait? Doing so risked something more, something worse. Far worse.

“Can I try practicing with your wand mommy?” Harry asked.

Lily’s mouth compressed into a line. Her wand? Harry? Most children wouldn’t be able to use it properly, but, as her eyes surveyed the room around her she had second thoughts. It was free of water and broken furniture, but the burn marks remained. No, most wizards would not be so strong in magical power even at an older age, but Harry was different. She knew of no wizard to show such power at such a young age, perhaps Dumbledore, no, even Dumbledore was not so strong. If he were to gain power as he aged, then maybe, maybe he could challenge him? Perhaps, but only if Harry was to start training now.

Lily thought about it more than she should have. How strong would Riddle have been? Dumbledore? Grindelwald? They were years ahead of their peers, the greatest of their generation, among the greatest of the age. They began at eleven years old, with strength that Harry could match now in his second year of life. Nine years ahead, nine years! Lily could scarcely imagine what it would be like.

But the risks! She reminded herself. If Harry had not been so powerful to summon half a river, what would have happened? Would he have... The thought of it chilled her bones. Yet, to face the one who killed his father he needed to be strong, his destiny demanded that. But what would all the training in the world be with if it killed him? No, she needed advice, and couldn’t trust anyone, even herself. Well, perhaps that was not entirely true.

“Harry, mommy will visit Mr. Dumbledore some time tomorrow. If he agrees, I will teach you, okay?” Lily asked.

“Okay.” Harry said, bobbing his head. Lily laughed silently as she looked at him. His eyes were big and innocent, young as only children could be. How could she have thought of him as anything other than a child? She was growing foolish, if she could not even trust her own son, who could she?

14