Starting the Game (Chapter 1)
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Akira opened his eyes, sitting calmly at the edge of a spring, staring out at it as a waterfall moved and churned to provide a light white noise. He took a deep breath, just as was promised, he could feel the air, and smell the nature all around him. 

He was still him, somewhat, but his now deep blue eyes turned to look at the man beside him as he began to talk. He knew about this world, but it was still something to see a person, a real, actual man talking to him with a quiet tone like he was a friend.

"Tell me, do you ever feel a strange sadness, as dusk falls?" the man asked, looking out at the lake with him "They say it's the only time when our world intersects with theirs..." he paused a moment before continuing "The only time we can feel the lingering regrets of spirits who have left our world" 

Akira had read this speech many times, but had not heard it, it wasn't beeping tones, but rather a gruff voice, but one that kept itself quiet currently and made sure to let the nature of his words sink in.

"That is why loneliness always pervades the hour of twilight" he nodded solmenly, before turning to look at Akira. Akira wasn't exactly in character just yet, staring at the man named Rusl as he spoke, rather than just listening to him. Rusl didn't seem to notice anything off though, continuing to talk "But, enough talk of sadness, I have a favor to ask of you, Link" ah yes, he wasn't Akira, it made it easier to work if he just used the name already in the story.

"I was supposed to deliver something to the royal family of Hyrule the day after tomorrow. Yes, it was a task set to me by the mayor, but...would you go in my stead?" he leaned back on one hand, watching 'Link' "You have...never been to Hyrule, right?"

Akira shook his head, it was a bit of a lie, he was a gamer, he particularly enjoyed this game. Which is why he chose it, there was no money being made off of this, so he was free to choose as he wished. He had never been there in person though of course, and he rather looked forward to it.

Rusl turned back to the pond, Link still watching him as he spoke again "In the kingdom of Hyrule there is a great castle, and around it is Castle Town, a community far bigger than our little village..." he took another pause "And, far bigger than Hyrule is the rest of the world the gods created. You should look upon it all with your own eyes" he finished.

Rusl turned back to Link for a moment, meeting the quiet teen's gaze before he stood up at the sandy shore of the spirit spring. "It is getting late, we should head back to the village. I will talk to the mayor about this matter"

Akira stood and followed him, leading his horse Epona along. The horse didn't notice anything wrong with him either, even if it was said by some animals were more privy to the nature of someone, of possessions and such. It wasn't possession though, technically. 

It certainly felt almost invigorating walking across a massive canyon on a rope bridge, however sturdy. Rusl continued to speak of Castle Town, of Hyrule and it's locales as they walked to his house. The two of them went into town for only a moment to unload the wood, then back to his home. Rusl bid him goodbye as his son, Colin, and pregnant wife, Uli came to see him. The three walked back, and Akira gave his best gentle smile as the boy looked back to him.

He was now alone, well, besides Epona. He petted her for a bit before climbing up into his doorway, stepping inside. The horse was well trained and loyal, she could be expected to be there in the morning. If he did not know what would happen in just a few minutes. He explored his rooms for a bit, touching everything, and eventually eating some food he found. Nothing more than some cheese, but it was good cheese. He climbed up and not mere moments as he closed his eyes did a man call to him.

"Hey! Link! You there?" Fado called from outside the house that was made into a giant tree. Link moved from his bed and looked out the window from the attic, looking down at Fado. "Hey, you mind helpin' me herd the goats? They ain't listenin' to me lately!" the man asked. Link nodded and stepped back, while he glanced around "Hey, where's Epona?" he asked himself.

Akira stretched, climbing down the later and stepping outside, he hopped down from the platform that lead into his house, landing with a soft thump before standing up. 

"You got any idea where Epona is?  C'mon now, hurry on up an' bring Epona with you" Fado said "Maybe she went down by the spring for a drink" he mentioned. Akira already knew to look there, but nodded anyway, jogging off to head to the spring he saw before.

He stepped onto the soft sand by the fresh water, seeing a young girl washing Epona. She glanced over, noticing him "Oh, hi, Link" she said softly "I washed Epona for you!" smiling. Link stood there calmly as she continued to talk, knowing she wasn't done.

"Epona works really hard, so I thought she deserved a treat!" she says, nodding as she petted Epona again "Oh, but listen Link...could you do something for me?" She asked "Can you use a piece of grass to play that song for me? You know, the one that Epona likes?" she tilted her head. 

Akira glanced to the oddly horseshoe shaped grass, and picked up a particularly large piece of it. Playing it was simple enough, and he knew the song. It was a whistle of course, going up and down in pitch. Despite the loudness it wasn't unpleasant at all though, and Epona neighed, coming a bit closer as he played the piece of grass.

Llia smiled "It's such a nice melody. Epona looks happy" she says "Well, she's all prettied up now, so I suppose you can ride her back. But don't you make her do too much, OK?" she asks, patting Epona.

It felt, odd, to ride a horse, technically he'd never done it. Yet his body was guided, he would rather stumble and fail, but unless he learned how to do it himself, the game needed to help him. If he suddenly got bad at riding, people may notice. He pet Epona before riding back to his house at a nice gallop.

Walking into the sunset painted village was so strange, hearing the water running through it, seeing people he knew technically, but did not personally. He slowly rode Epona through town, trying to avoid any eye contact and just focus on the road.

"Ah if it isn't young Link" a large woman hummed with a younger girl by her side and a skinny man just a bit away from them both, waving at him, which he returned in kind "Are you going to close down the ranch for the day?" she asked, he didn't have time to nod and leave though before she continued.

"I just closed the shop myself. I'm sure you know all about the mischievous monkeys that've been coming into the village lately" she paused, patting the shoulder of her daughter next to her "Those things worry me a bit. I'd better lock up tight here, I couldn't stand to have any more goods stolen" she huffed "Can't trust that good-for-nothing husband to do anything right" she said.

The daughter, prompted by her mother turned to the skinny man and speak with a annoyed tone "C'mon Dad! You can't catch a silly little monkey?" she asked

"Um, well, no. No I can't" the skinny man said softly, sighing.

"Oh! Listen to us babble on. I didn't mean to keep you. All right, off to work with you" the rotund woman said, and he took his leave.

He didn't have to follow the script, he knew that. So as Akira rode up to the ranch he simply waved at the passerby, trying his best to seem focused on getting to the ranch and helping to close up things. It worked out well enough, and finally he began to do the job. It was, actually somewhat easier than it was in a game. Namely because he felt more in control of Epona, despite not having total control because he didn't know how to ride her himself. Still, it was quickly finished.

He let Fado set up the fences, and practiced jumping after herding the goats for just a bit. Though quickly he headed home. This was just the first day, and it was no more than a few hours long. He would be in this game for quite awhile, it wasn't as simple as logging out every night to sleep in the real world.

0