Chapter 4 – Meanwhile
149 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A/N: So going forward I’ll try to keep most of what I write as POV chapters but when I think it feels right I’ll do 3rd person, as you can see below.

Demon kingdom (6 years ago) (Isekai world)

“And that’s all for castle affairs M’Lord, Next i-” a grey haired goblin flips the page on his clipboard before trying to move on to the next issue.

“Enough. We can do this later, I still have the Hero’s Stink on me and I’d rather join the others in the bath before I deal with anything else you have for me.” The demon lord interrupts the goblin and stands up stretching her arms, causing her red bat like wings to spread out and involuntarily copy the movement.

Walking through the hallways of the castle the goblin trails behind the demon lord, “M’Lord, we really should see to th-”

She holds up a hand interrupting him, “I don’t know why I let you talk me out of having a bath as soon as I got back in the first……………place?” she looks down at her hand and squints her eyes as her body starts swaying before she falls backwards on to the floor, unseen by the elderly goblin black veins where creeping from the bracelet given to her as a gift by the hero as she died.

In the bathhouse, 3 young women all in the process of undressing lay dead on the cold floor as a small child sits weeping next to the corpses. Similar to the demon lord black veins where creeping from various items on their bodies, ranging from earrings to necklaces and rings, similar events happened around the continent, killing almost all the royalty, nobility and higher ranking members of the church at the same time.

A few hours later

A small elderly woman walks through a rift in space while holding a handsome middle aged man dressed in a tailor made suit under her arm like a rolled up newspaper, “Is this really necessary?” he remarks as the woman puts him on the ground.

“Yes, your father has an errand to run and he named you as his second. You have responsibilities Lucifer, you can’t just keep playing detective and having orgies all day.” The woman remarks and looks around but sees nobody else in the room, “where is everyone?” her eyes glow with a golden yellow light for a second and she speaks again, “Shit, I need to go.” She opens another rift in space and looks back toward Lucifer with a frown, “Don’t touch anything while I’m gone.”

“How can i?” He jingles his manacles while holding them up, “Not like I can get out of these anyway.”

The elderly woman squints her eyes and gives him an uneasy look, “I suppose so,” and steps through.

“Arrogant bastards.” As soon as the rift closes, the chains clatter to the floor and Lucifer rubs his wrists, “shackles capable of holding a celestial but no defense against a simple lock pick.” Putting a paper clip in his blazer pocket he smiles, “Always underestimating mortals and their little tricks, now what do I touch first.”

Standing up he inspects his surroundings, a simple round wooden table sits in the middle of the room and has a small white flame dancing above it with nothing keeping it in place, seemingly without smoke or the need for fuel source.  The people who sat around it probably left in a hurry because various items where spread on and around it, walking over the first thing he does is look inside a brown leather satchel, “seriously? Who leaves a bag of souls just lying around? Wait, is that a demon lord? Well this has some potential.” Waving his hand, the soul disappears from the bag and the smile on his face grows wider as he makes his way around the table, “A bandoleer of………..what’s this? Pokéballs? Probably shouldn’t take any of those……………… this egg basket on the other hand.” Waving his hand again one of the eggs disappears and he moves along, “Swords, guns, a headband of some sort, booooooooring! C’mon, gimmie something good.” Making his way around the table he goes through most of the items before coming to a stop and looking at the small white flame floating above the center of the table. “Bet I could have some fun with that.”

Stepping away from the table he waves his hand, as a result the soul and Pokémon egg appear floating in front of him, clapping his hands together they float towards each other and merge into one. “That was…..surprisingly easy, guess these things don’t normally get a soul until birth.” He looks up at the white flame floating above the table, “now this part might be difficult.” The egg floats in front of him and he holds his hand toward the flame, in response a stream of white flame snakes toward the egg and starts wrapping itself around it. As the flames wash over the egg, the patterns start fading until a plain unassuming white covers the entire thing. Sweat dripping down his forehead, a panting Lucifer catches the egg out of mid-air as it starts falling and sits on the floor exhausted, “Now where to put you.”

Lucifer’s eyes glow white and several specters appear, re-enacting past events in the room as Lucifer sits and watches the show. “That one seems interesting, and you even know one of the people living there.” Lucifer speaks to the egg before standing up, “Not that you can hear me though.” A pair of pristine white wings appear on his back, giving them a flap his body disappears, leaving only a single white feather that slowly floats to the floor.

A few hours later

Somewhere in the fire hells of the demon world a skeletal dog with flames encasing its entire body curiously sniffs at the large white egg that appeared in its den, the egg rocks back and forth a few times before cracking open and revealing a small red fox with 6 tails curled around its body. The fox uncurls its tails and steps out of the broken egg before sniffing at the air and looking around, almost as if realizing something she licks her lips and stares at the skeletal dog as it watches on with a hungry look in its eyes.

 

An undisclosed location (4 Years ago)

“Are we really doing this?” a young woman with red hair tied into a pony tail and wearing unassuming street clothes talks to the broad shouldered man standing beside her as they reach the entrance of a rundown looking building.

“You were in Racoon city. You saw first-hand what umbrella is capable of and you saw all the shit that got released after, are you still having doubts?” he replies.

“I understand they need to be dealt with, but is joining an equally shady organization really the best choice?” She responds.

“You don’t have to trust them, but at least have faith in the guys who invited us.” Almost in response the doors of the building swing open and a man wearing combat gear smiles at the two from the entrance, “Leon! Good to see you.” He yells as he sees the man.

“Chris, Clair, hope it wasn’t too hard finding the place.” Leon replies with a smile and beckons them inside, “Jill insisted she do your introduction class.”

 

New York City (3 Years ago)

‘Ting’ the bell on the door of a relatively empty smoke filled bar rings as a blonde woman wearing a dark red blouse coupled with an expensive looking black leather jacket, matching leather pants and black heels walks through the door holding a baby carrier. The red neon sign behind the bar table reads ‘The Gates Of Hell’ and a tall dark skinned man wearing a black shirt with the top button undone, a pair of sunglasses and a thick gold chain around his neck stands underneath it cleaning a glass with a cigar in his mouth.

“Rebekah Mikaelson.” Seeing the woman enter the man extinguishes the cigar in his mouth and greets her. “Feels like a hundred years since I’ve seen that pretty face of yours.”

“Being dagger’d in a box will do that to you.” Rebekah sits on the stool and puts the carrier on the table with the open end facing her as she replies, “Good to see you Rodin,” Looking around the room she continues, “Glad to see the place hasn’t changed too much, signs a bit gaudy but it fits well enough, and since when do you let humans in here? Seems like a delicious problem just waiting to happen.” She gives a slight smile and the tip of a fang pokes out from underneath her lip as she gestures toward the nervous portly man sitting in a booth at the back of the room.

“As honest as always I see,” he gives a sigh and turns to look at the sign behind him, “And as for the snack over there he’s here on business so hands off.” Looking at the baby carrier he lowers his shades and raises an eyebrow, “There a reason that carrier has so many spells cast on it?”

“That’s because little hope here has a very overprotective family,” holding a hand over the crib, long sharp nails extend from her fingers and she playfully dangles it in front of the baby in the carrier, causing her to giggle in response. “Yes you do don’t you, your silly dad didn’t have to compel that witch, now did he?” looking up to Rodin she continues, “Not that I’m complaining though, they make coming into a smoky bar like this safe for the little monster.”

“What’ll it be then Ms Mikaelson?” Rodin asks as he turns the glass upside down and places it next to the others.

“A Negative, 30 years if you have it and a bottle of something absurdly strong. I’m needed back home and I’d rather be drunk when you teleport me back,”

“Family drama?” Rodin Asks and pours a drink, putting it and the bottle on the bar in front of her.

“Always,” She lets out a sigh and empties the glass in one gulp, running her finger along the rim as she waits for Rodin to bring her order.

Rodin crouches under the bar and retrieves a wine glass, reaching out his hand it disappears into a red portal and comes out holding a blood bag, he squeezes the contents into the glass and presents it to Rebekah who takes a small sip before putting it down and filling her other glass. “You Mikaelsons remind me of me and my own brothers, always at each other’s throats, scheming against each other and stabbing each other in the back, Hell, even getting innocent bystanders involved in our family squabbles.”

 Rebekah stares at Rodin with a dumbstruck expression for a few seconds before speaking, “Rodin.”

“Yes?” he answers.

“You are an ancient and powerful demon, somehow capable of freely traveling between this realm and the demon realm yet you don’t seek power like most demons do, instead you act as a barman and informal life coach to some of the oldest immortals on the planet.” She pauses and takes a breath before continuing, “You’re probably going to stonewall me but I have to ask, just who the hell are your brothers!?”

Rodin Just smiles in response to her question and as she opens her mouth to complain the door swings open.

Ting, ting, ting, ting the bell slowly comes to a rest as a tall woman, long black hair fashioned into an elaborate weave tied together with a red ribbon, dressed in all black skin tight leather clothes and wearing a pair of stylized glasses growls as she speaks, “Where is he?” she scans the room and asks Rodin as she enters, but before he can answer she spots the portly man sitting at the back and strides toward him, “A Bloody second rate carnival act!”

“N-Now Bayonetta,” the man scrambles further into the booth waving his hands as she approaches, “H-How was I supposed to know he was a hack?”

“You’re an information broker aren’t you? It’s supposed to be your job to know!” Bayonetta snaps her fingers and a purple magic circle appears underneath the man before glowing and wrapping him in hair. Holding a pistol underneath his chin she continues in a calm voice, “I’ve been following your leads for over 10 years now, maybe it’s time to rethink our working relationship.”

“Cough! Cough!” Rodin gets Bayonetta’s attention and points to a sign on the wall, “No killing, No Magic, No children. You know the rules Bayonetta.”

Snapping her fingers the man drops to the ground and she turns around with a smile, “Was only joking dear, you know how much I love your little rules, but what about her?” Looking toward Rebekah and the baby carrier she continues, “I thought I was your favorite, and here you are bending the rules for another woman.”

“Ms Mikaelson is here for my excellent teleportation service, the little one is a passenger.” Crouching under the bar again he brings out another wine glass and retrieves a bottle from high on top of the display case behind him, putting the glass on the table to the left of Rebekah he gets ready to uncork the bottle, “The usual?”

Bayonetta nods toward Rodin, walks to the bar and leans on it while facing Rebekah with a friendly smile. “I’ve been coming to this place for a while now and I haven’t met anyone capable of affording one of Rodin’s teleportation spells, greedy bastard that he is, I’m Bayonetta by the way.”

“Rebekah Mikaelson,” She replies and tilts her head when she sees the crest on Bayonetta’s chest, “that crest…… An Umbra witch? Haven’t seen one of you since the before the witch hunts.”

“Ms Mikaelson here is an Original, a Real Fuckin Vampire, not like those chumps you might have come across before. If there’s anyone capable of helping you with your little problem it’s her.” Rodin Speaks up introducing Rebekah and continues, “Ms Bayonetta here woke up in a box some unlucky fool found in a lake just over 10 years ago and has been trying to remember her past ever since. Now she aint been out in the world for too long but I can guarantee she’s trustworthy, that, and I’m sure you two can help each other out.”

“My family faces certain Doom at the hands of some stupid prophecy and I happen to meet a witch belonging to one of the most powerful covens in all of history on my way back home.” A smile takes over Rebekah’s face as she speaks, “Rodin isn’t wrong, if anyone can help you with your memory problems it’s me or my family. We’ve been known to keep powerful witches in our employ, the pay is extremely generous of course and all our resources would be at your disposal when it comes to any personal projects you might have.”

“Are you offering me a job Ms Mikaelson? If so your terms sound quite appealing.” Bayonetta replies and raises her glass, toasting with Rebekah before taking a sip of her wine then looks toward Rodin, “And? What’s in it for you?”

“Well, you’re gonna have to keep those demons of yours fed while you’re in the Big easy aint ya? That’s where I come in.” A big smile on his face Rodin reaches into another portal, this time pulling out a briefcase and putting it on the table, “Normally no one is able to pay the resale price for these but Ms Mikaelson here is loaded.” He clicks the latches and the case flips open revealing dozens of golden rings.

“And there it is. Selling halos back to me at a profit.” Bayonetta sighs and downs her drink.

“He’s a demon dear, this much is to be expected.” Rebekah comments from the side.

4