Letter 12 – 11/18/1977
265 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

11/18/77

Dear Sarah,

Alright, no double standards. I promise. You’ll have to help keep me in line though, I’m real bad about that kinda stuff. Also, I’m sorry for taking so long to write back but this time of year is always crazy at the store. Speaking of which, I guess I owe you some stories.

We’ve got this old lady, Mrs. Verat, who comes into the store all the damn time. Everytime we see her coming in through the doors, it's suddenly everyone else's breaktime. I always end up having to deal with her. She constantly needs to cash traveler’s express checks and she’s never ready. Every single time, without fail, she ends up screaming and calling us all kinds of names because after three years of using them she still doesn’t know how to feel out the damn paperwork properly. The best thing is when one of her church friends walks in and she has to switch on a dime.  From screaming at the top of her lungs to trying to pass as a sweet old lady. Last month, I was training a new cashier and she did that and he just about fell over laughing at her. Had to send him into the back while I finished out her transaction. Then, after a nearly 20 minute yelling session, she asked me if I could forgive her for losing her head. I gave her my best blank stare and just handed her the cash and receipt. 

You know, I really don’t think either of us have a career in comedy ahead of us. We ain’t no Gene Wilder, that’s for sure. I don’t know if our lives are just that unfunny or if we’re just bad at making life funny. It’s a skill that you can be born with or that you get with age and I know I sure wasn’t born with it. 

You know, I don’t wanna but in where I ain’t supposed to be but I really do think you should come down here with Sam. He’s gonna need all the support he can get. I don’t know what he’s told you about his parents, and I don’t want to share anything he doesn’t want to, but they’re real big on Jesus and all that. My Ma’s the same way, but she can at least sometimes be reasoned with. Those two can’t be. I’ve never really been into all that and that’s always been a sore spot about me to them. They’ve been getting worse lately and they’re dragging my family with them too. Just do your best to talk him into it, please.

See you soon,

J

22