Letter 19 – 12/18/1977
263 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

12/18/77

Dear Tiana,

I can’t tell you how glad I am to hear from you. I was so worried after my letter was returned by the post office and Mary wrote to me. After what she said to me, I can’t believe I was planning on writing her back. But, then again, she was the only option I had for finding out more about your situation. That’s enough about me. Are you okay? Don’t give me your “well I’m not dead, so I’m fine” routine either Tiana. I know how you are and I’m not there to smack you on the head for doing it this time. 

I have been writing to Mike, by the way. He’s been keeping me up to date on everything going on in Milford or trying to at least. Since Thanksgiving, his letters have been different. It’s like everything changed. We all knew that home wasn’t the friendliest of places for people like us, but the attack was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Rusty’s disappearance hit him almost as hard as you, but I’ve never seen him like he is now. He’s determined to leave as soon as he can. He hasn’t stopped writing about moving to Louisville for almost a month now. Wants to join the “Louisville Gay Liberation Front”. I wish him luck, God knows if the police there are anything like home they must be harassed constantly.

Tiana, I need you to pay attention to this next part. I’m currently in the process of trying to contact a person who can help you. I don’t know how long the process will take, it could be days or it could be a few weeks. The important part is that I need to be able to write to you. Even if you have to move around, I need you to keep writing to me so that I can have a return address. The best option would be for you to keep staying with Mike, but with how long this might take I know you might have to move before I get everything set up. Just stay safe and, I know how much that it will hurt if you have to, pretend to be him to keep anyone from trying anything with you. I’m so sorry that you have to go through this, Tiana. You deserve so much better and you’ll have better. Just keep going and keep writing to me.

Love,

Sam

18