Letter 20 – 12/19/1977
251 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

12/19/1977

Dear Mrs. Rebecca Kunanov,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and good circumstances. I must imagine that you’re confused as to who I am. My name is Samuel Darbin, although I did once go by Elizabeth. Yes, that Elizabeth from Milford. I’m telling you about this not just because I know that you’re a good person who wouldn’t dare to think of judging me, but because it’s part of the reason I’m writing to you. A mutual friend of both of us has recently been forced to flee their home in fear of losing their life.

As much as I feel that I should be quiet about the details, I can’t properly explain just how much danger they’re in to you without going into who it is. I’m sure that you must remember John, your nephew and my best friend. Her name is Tiana now. Her parents found out who she really is by going through her room and digging into her private containers. They threatened and intended to send her to a religious conversion camp, to force her to go back into herself, at the recommendation of their reverend. This reverend then told the town of her, who sent a mob of our “friends” from high school to deal with her. I’m sure you can imagine how that would have gone. She ran to a true friend’s house and has been hiding there since. Neither of us know how long she’ll be able to stay there and she can’t stay in that town for much longer. Each day spent there just increases the chance she’ll be found. 

I know that this is a lot of information to take in at once. I’ve been receiving letters from her about everything leading up to this for months and I’m overwhelmed just thinking about what she must be going through. I also know that this is a big thing to ask, but would it be possible for her to stay with you for a while? I do truly feel that you’re Tiana’s best hope. You were always her favorite aunt. She cried harder than I had ever seen anyone cry before, or since, when her parents said you were banned from their household. While I completely understand needing to take time to discuss this request between you and Vadim, I must encourage you to discuss the question immediately. I know Columbus is friendly to all types of people and I just want her to be safe.

Thank you for your time, 

Samuel

19