Letter 23 – 12/26/1977
247 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

12/26/77

Dear Sam,

I hope your Christmas was nice. Mine was pretty good. Mike made us a nice roast chicken. He really is a good cook. Had to take a nap before I left his place. Didn’t wanna be falling into a food coma in the middle of the expressway. Speaking of driving, the truck still runs fine after its camping trip. Cold as a witch’s tit and took a second to start up but it ran okay through the night. Took about an hour on 27 to get to the city. Let me tell you, I ain’t never seen it that dead on the road. I mean, I know it was Christmas and all but there wasn’t a single person out besides me. Even the damn gas stations were closed. I’m glad I filled up before all this started up, I would’ve been stuck if I needed it last night.

I left at about nine, made the city at about ten thirty. Took me forever to find somewhere to park. Well, there was plenty of paid parking but you know me. The day I pay for parking is the day I die. Ended up parking in front of some apartment building. Some cop tapped on my window asking me what I was doing in town. Told him I was visiting some family in town for Christmas. I don’t think he believed me but he just kept going. Coulda went worse, that’s for sure. Slept for a bit in my truck before the cold woke me up. Went and got some coffee at a diner. Nice place. I’d tell you the name so you can stop in if you’re ever in town, but I done plum forgot it. My brain doesn’t run well when it’s tired and cold.

I was right by the way. There has gotta be at least five different shelters run by the local Catholics. I knew they ran the town, but you really can’t imagine it until you’ve seen it. I’m at this one called the Pariah Kitchen, real nice folks running the place. They’re letting me stay for the next week or so. I’m planning on sending a quick rush to Mike when I’ve got a more permanent place but I felt like I should tell you I’m in a safe place. It’s a good place even if I was forced to sit through Christmas mass. So much kneeling. I don’t know if my knees can survive another Sunday here. 

Talk to you soon,

Tiana

 

P.S. - I told them that my name was TJ and that’s what they’re calling me! I feel like I’m floating on a cloud every time they holler for me.

16