Chapter 34 Play the hero
3.2k 34 95
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So yeah. I'm gonna save the ogres before they get fucking decked.

I mean, they’re ogres. They’re among the top of the food chain among the monsters in the Jura Forest, having them in my force will be worth it. Not only that, if I just let them die, I’ll feel a little bad.

Great power comes with great responsibility and all that. I mean, I've been living in this world for over a month now, and I've come to terms that I may have to kill one day and that innocent people and monsters are dying every second. But… even so, although this might be a bit naive, I want to do something.

Besides, it won't hurt anyone.

And so, I first have to know where they are. That is why I am currently sitting in my slime form in front of a familiar object to anyone who watched the Overlord anime.

Specifically, it’s a mirror of remote viewing.

For those who are unaware of its functions, this thing is a mirror that lets me view things… remotely…

Fucking genius, I know.

But yeah, basically it’s a clairvoyance magic item. With it, I can see things while not actually there. Think of it like controlling a drone and looking through its camera, except there is no drone.

Wait. Can't I use this to peek in on Mikoto while she’s in the hot spr-

Mikoto- “What are you doing?”

Rimuru- “*Girlish scream*”

Mikoto walks up from behind me and asks me a question. It seems she’s genuinely curious instead of interrupting me because of her intuition.

Rimuru- “Oh, Mikoto, it’s just you…”

I play it off like I just didn’t know it was her.

Mikoto- “Hmm? Couldn't you sense me with your [Universal Sense] skill?”

Rimuru- “Ahh, well [Raph-], uhh, [Great Sage] is the one handling all of the info I get from my sensing skills. Otherwise, I would constantly get a stream of useless information, and it gets tiring having to file through it. [Great Sage] doesn’t warn me of anyone approaching unless they have hostile intent.”

Mikoto- “Heeh, that’s pretty helpful. I always have to tone down my [Magic Sense] skill whenever I don’t need it, but with [Great Sage] you can keep it on full power at all times, right?”

Rimuru- “In a way, yeah.”

Mikoto- “So, back to my first, question…”

Rimuru- “Oh, well apparently some orcs are wandering around the forest. I'm looking around to see if something big’s happening.”

While I was talking, I come across a certain scene in the mirror in front of me. It’s a village. The thing is, it's on fucking fire.

Just like my mixtape… after my family threw it out into a dumpster and lit it on fire.

I'm joking.

Anyway, the smoke is making it a bit hard to see what exactly is going on from the mirror, so I can't exactly see what’s going on. But I'm not an idiot, I know that there is a very good chance that this is the ogre village I'm looking for. But…

Isn't it a bit too early? I was expecting this to happen only after a couple of days.

<<Report. There is a good chance that this event occurred earlier than predicted due to this being a Parallel World.>>

Ah, I guess that explains things, huh… Anyway, now isn't the time. I have to hurry.

And so, without saying anything, I use [Spatial Motion] and disappear from the house, instantly appearing right on the edges of the village.

I can't move to any place I haven’t seen before, but looking at it through the mirror makes things so much easier. I turn into my human form and call out.

Rimuru- “Ranga.”

Ranga- “You called, Master?”

Ranga appears from my shadow and stands next to me while still in his smaller form. He always sits in my shadow, so I can just call him like this whenever he needs it.

Rimuru- “Protect the ogres. Try not to kill any orcs, but if you can't help it, give them a painless death.”

I want to keep as many orcs alive as possible since they’ll eventually work under me, but right now, they’re my enemy. I won't hold back if I can't help it.

Ranga- “Understood Master!”

Ranga runs forward into the still burning village and disappears into the smoke. I'm not worried about him, he’s stronger than all of the orcs still in the village and the smoke won't hinder someone of his level.

How do I know that there are orcs inside the village? And how do I know there are still ogres to be saved? Well, [Universal Sense] is useful in situations like this.

Although [Raphael] filters all the information coming from [Universal Sense], this doesn’t mean it’s because I CAN’T process it all. A slime’s body is made up of individual cells that can each act as a separate brain.

I just can't be bothered having to sift through all the incoming information, so while not in a combat state, [Raphael] handles all the useless stuff. As soon as I arrived I immediately understood the entire situation in the village and I knew it was the orcs attacking as I expected.

Luckily, it seems they’re still in the process of raiding the village and there are around half of the ogres left remaining.

Ok, first things first, I need to get rid of this fire.

[Control Water].

I create a massive ball of water high up in the air before bursting it, causing it to shower the area like rain. Within a minute, most of the fires are gone.

I could also get rid of the smoke, but I don’t need vision and neither does Ranga. The smoke should work in my favour.

Now then… Shall I play the hero?

-----

Name: Rimuru

Race: Origin Slime

Protection: Crest of Space

Title: Highest Tier Spirit, Leader of the Monsters

Ultimate Skills: [Illya, Heaven's Feel] [Raphael, Lord of Wisdom]

Intrinsic Skills: [Infinite Regeneration] [Universal Shapeshift] [Universal Sense] [Multilayer Barrier] [Enhanced Replication] [Universal Thread]

Unique Skills: [Predator] [Creation] [Rune Master]

Extra Skills: [Control Water] [Lord's Ambition] [Thought Communication] [Control Wind] [Control Flame] [Spatial Motion]

Tolerances: [Cancel Pain] [Resist Melee Attack] [Cancel Natural Elements] [Cancel Ailments] [Resist Spiritual Attack] [Resist Holy Attack]

 

A/N: Sorry, this chapter is a bit shorter than usual.

MC: Then post a bonus chapter.

AN: No.

MC: Why?

AN: ... because I cant be fucked...

MC: ...

AN: ...

MC: Fuck you.

AN: Well fuck you too!

Let me know if I missed anything.

https://discord.gg/8C86w46F

95