Old Version – Chapter 34 – That Will Change
318 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“Can I do this, Nicci?” Lena asked her softly as she pushed the chair outside, and along the paths that Mia had swept diligently.

“Do you have a choice, Empress? Solange and Hanna made the goddess so angry that she cursed them. If they are not properly punished, that curse will not lift. Kata is also your servant. If you do not discipline her, she is not worthy to stand at your side. If she does not stand at your side, the goddess will not welcome her to Haven.” Nicci said in a low soft tone.

“If not for the situation, your voice would soothe me, Nicci. What should be done to Sol and Hanna? Should they go back to Haven? Will that teach them anything?” She frowned a little.

“You know how to discipline a human, but the Others are a different story. Think about what Sol seeks right now. How would you punish someone who only has thoughts about sex, and pleasure? Kata is being led astray by that. Solange and Hanna died long ago, so they would never have the opportunity to encounter her unless she went to Haven.” Nicci waited until Lena waved her hand.

“Return. Make sure the goddess knows that I can not deal with things here without you.” Nicci smiled.

“Thank you, Empress.”

 

*****

 

“Kata. Lift your head so I can see your eyes.” Kata heard Lena’s voice and shivered a bit. She knew this person well, and could understand that her tone of voice would not reflect how she felt.

“E-Empress.” Her eyes were cold, and for a brief second, they were a solid color, just like the Others.

“Do not speak. You have failed in your duty twice.” Kata felt a weight land on her shoulders with those words. “The first time, I gave you some discipline so you would always remember that you have a duty to perform. Do you know what your duties are?” Kata then frowned.

“I...Empress? I don’t understand. My duty is to protect you.”

“I do not have an army for you to lead, nor have I set the times for you to perform those duties.” Kata’s eyes started to lighten.

“My Empress, you truly are a great and wondrous ruler!” She said emotionally, and bowed her head low to the floor. She would not be charged with a capital crime. Instead, it was a misdemeanor.

“So now you know what you have done wrong. You have sought personal pleasure instead of your assignment. For the next three months, you will not have a day off. Your duty shifts will be at night, from sun down to sun up, and you will watch the gate from the gatehouse. Alone.” Though it was a simple punishment, the harshness of that punishment would soon be shown. Kata bowed her head again.

“Thank you, Empress.” Kata said reverently.

“You should take a cot and your clothes to the gatehouse, Kata. That is where you’ll stay for the next three months.” Nicci said, helped her to her feet, and led her to the door. After Kata left, she closed the door.

“Solange.” Lena looked at the Other. “Lift your head. I need to see your eyes.

“Empress.” When Solange lifted her head, she froze. For only a brief second, Lena’s eyes were solid red, like the goddess.

“What is your assignment?”

Solange didn’t know what to say. She volunteered for the position of attendant to the Empress, but she had all but abandoned that position when she started to fuck Kata.

“I know you volunteered for the position that both Hanna and Nicci were assigned to as well. So what is your assignment?” Lena said at a low volume.

“Nothing but excuses come to mind, Empress. Worthless excuses.” Lena nodded at Sol’s admission.

“I know. A volunteer. Means you accepted the assignment voluntarily. You were then asked to convince Kata that she was attractive. Correct so far?” Solange nodded. “But, once that was accomplished, why did you not continue with the duties you were assigned?” Again, Solange frowned.

“I do not have the luxury to say that I was not assigned any duties. I knew that I should serve you. I knew that deep down, but all I could see was her. Her eyes. So eager and alive! Real attachment and emotion! I drank it in like alcohol!” Solange slumped, which made Hanna turn towards her in shock.

“Real emotion? I gave you real emotions!” Hanna said angrily. Lena nodded.

“True, but there were no consequences, Hanna.” Lena said softly. “Now, there will be consequences. All the Others have lived their lives like their lives were over already, and so only pursued pleasures of the flesh.” Lena waved to Nicci, who read her movements, and helped her to sit up a bit straighter in the chair.

“Consequences?” Solange asked quietly.

“Your assignment was to serve me. You did not seek out your duties, like Kata did not. You pursued the pleasure of her flesh.” Nicci watched and shivered.

“Your duty shift is the opposite of Kata’s. While she sleeps, you will be on duty at the gate. Fully armored, and armed. You will not go inside. You will stand, keep the braziers filled, and take breaks like a human. You will not be permitted to return to Haven for these three months to recharge.” Solange’s mouth fell open.

“But if I don’t, I’ll die again!”

“Hanna will return to Haven, and prepare food from Haven for those who are here. This is her job now. She will serve the food to Rachel, Nicci, Nuri, Nadya, and to you. She will not be permitted to warm Kata’s bed, or yours.” Hanna groaned at Lena’s judgment.

“Lydia and Ayn will have to return to Haven as they assist the goddess with proper advice. Any injuries you acquire will remain unhealed. If you are whipped as punishment, you will have to suffer the consequences. If your muscles are stiff and sore, the mists will not heal you. The goddess guaranteed that.” Solange closed her mouth, and touched the red circle that now scarred her chest.

“Where will I sleep?”

“On a cot. In the guardian’s quarters. At the end of the three months, you will be permitted to either return to Haven, or continue to fulfill your obligations to me. If you stay, you may live with Kata as long as your time is spent fulfilling your duties. Someone must be at that gate at all times. As you are the senior, you may assign whomever you see fit to watch that gate so that you will be able to spend time together. That will either require you to recruit someone from the town to the temple, or someone from Haven. Kata is my personal guard, so she will watch the temple door during the day. If you need a boon to entice someone to help you from Haven, you may ask Nicci if they are acceptable, and I will decide how to properly use their off hours.”

It was so thoroughly thought through, Solange shivered. Not only had the Empress considered that Sol would not be able to recruit someone from Haven without some sort of trick, she also made it possible that Kata could become her lover again in the future. If they did their duties, and served her properly.

“Limits. Consequences.” She said softly.

“You always had consequences in Haven, Solange.” Lena said softly. “But you’ve gotten used to removing them with the mist, the benefits given by the goddess. So have all the Others.” She pinned Solange with a hard glare.

“When I come home, that will change.”

 

14