Old Version – Chapter 36 – Whisper in the Wind
316 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“Father, why do we go with the Death Squad?” His young daughter asked him innocently. He smiled softly, and watched as she tugged at her ear a few times.

“These female warriors have been in the employment of the Empire for thousands of years, Jaana. They cross the Great Desert twice a year, to guide caravans to the other side. They try to feel the presence of the goddess, and grow closer to her. All take their last breath upon these sands.” He said reverently. For some within the Digallan Empire, the Death Squad was a source of contention. For others, like the Prime Minister, there was only respect and awe. He never saw their type of faith in any of the temples.

“Why do they do that?” She asked, in a confused tone. Sami beckoned to one of the warriors.

“Please, tell her why you cross the Great Desert, and why you die here.”

 

*****

 

“You see these sands, little one?” She carried Jaana in her arms and gestured to the yellow sand of the desert spread out before them.

“Yes.” She said innocently.

“A long time ago, the goddess scooped out this place and took it to her realm. The creator designed this world for life, but her world was dead, as she is the goddess of death. So, she took a great piece to her realm, and spread it there. The life she took from here helped her to remake her realm from one of barren lifelessness into a realm filled with life. So she became the goddess of death, and life through death. She took people loyal to her there when they died. Because she was here, many of our sisters walk through the desert to her temple to be with her, but the Offerings stopped a few hundred years ago. So, we sought her here, where she once walked.” The warrior sighed softly.

“We have not heard her voice in hundreds of years, but still we walk these sands to try and hear her whisper.” Her lips had a sad smile upon them, so Jaana tilted her head.

“You can’t hear her? But she’s so loud.” The warrior turned towards her. She kept her face calm, but inside, her warrior’s heart beat strongly, and erratically.

“What is she saying?”

“She’s angry. Real angry at the Emperor.”

 

*****

 

“Little one, earlier you said the goddess was angry at the Emperor. Did she say anything else?” The armored warrior said gently. She waited until they made camp before she dared to ask this question. Now, she hoped the young girl could hear the goddess, so the goddess would guide them once again, but she had almost given up hope.

“She said there is a girl my age at the temple.” She frowned. “Father, why can I hear her?” He smiled softly, and a tear rolled down his cheek.

“The Seer said to bring you to her, but with the Emperor. I hoped she would accept you, and now I know. You will live.” He looked at the warriors in the squad, and held the hand of his concubine.

“Make sure she gets to the temple, if we should not make it.” The all female squad bowed low to the sands. They knew that the desert was harsh to those unprepared for it.

The Prime Minister and his concubine were not used to hardship, and the toll it took upon their bodies was already seen in how they drew breath. They were already slightly weaker then when they first entered the desert, and they were only half a day in. It would take another week to pass through completely.

“We will take her to see the temple master.” The warrior who held the girl in her arms started to smile. She closed her eyes and she heard something she had searched for her entire life. For the first time, she heard a whisper in the winds.

“I hear her.” She said in awe and closed her eyes. The other warrior women closed their eyes, and slowly, each of them could hear a faint sound they had not heard before, but each of them knew what it was.

“A whisper in the wind. I finally hear the goddess.”

 

*****

 

“Send word to the soldiers of the Empire.” The Seer let her fingers stir the pool she sat beside.

“What word do you wish to send?” Her attendant said gently.

“All female warriors are to gather here. They will escort my attendants and I through the Great Desert. The goddess has assigned a Temple Master, and she is highly favored.” They all knelt down.

“Are we leaving the Empire?”

“It won’t exist within a month’s time. A platoon of Others are coming.” They paled and nodded.

“We’ll move quickly, seer.”

Her attendants left, while Rachel appeared behind her.

“The goddess will make sure you get there in one piece, Seer. She wants you to meet someone special to her.” She said softly.

“Special to you as well.”

“Yes. To many of us. When will you go through with the Offering?” Rachel asked her quietly.

“When things calm down. When the female soldiers of the Empire gather, and become guardians of the temple, I shall ask the Temple Master to Offer me to the goddess.” She said softly.

“You’ve had a long life, but not given birth yet. Are you sure? The Empress would not wish to deprive you of fulfilling your obligation to the temple.” Rachel said softly.

“That is up to the Temple Master, right?”

“Yes.” Rachel smiled. “Now, it is up to her.”

 

*****

 

“Nicci.” Lena said in a low voice.

“Yes, Empress?” She spoke near her ear, as Lena preferred.

“Get some carpenters and masons from Haven. I need a modest house build not far from the gate. A child and her parents are on the way. He is the Prime Minister of the Digallan Empire, along with his concubine. He brings his daughter to the temple.” Lena said with a small smile.

“Prime Minister? Modest sized, or modest in nature? He is a minister, and used to luxury.”

“Modest in nature. Cut stone. Timber beams. Clay tiled roof. Nothing like it in the town. It must have glass windows, and be of an appropriate size. He will have the task of governing the town.” Lena smiled. “Questions?”

“If you say he has that task, then that is what the goddess has said as well. Even if you had the idea, she would deny you nothing. Haven itself would be mobilized to enact your will.” She bowed, and casually sucked Lena’s earlobe into her mouth.

“Naughty girl. I will discipline you properly in the play room tonight.” Nicci grinned and shivered. Lena felt her presence disappear.

“Hanna.”

“Empress.” Hanna appeared and bowed. She had become a lot more respectable, and dignified lately. She no longer went to Sol’s bed at night, even when Sol rested after her shift.

“You will attend to me while Nicci is away.” Lena pointed to her side, so Hanna stood beside her and turned so that she faced the proper direction. “Still upset?”

“No, Empress. It was something I needed to hear.” She said and lowered her eyes. “I thought, no, I expected that she felt the same way.”

“Is it because she is so strong?” Lena asked quietly.

“Yes. There is affection, but I crave her strength.” Hanna said softly.

“Then I have a surprise for you.” Lena said with a smile. “A group of female warriors, from the Digallan Empire in the south, now cross the Great Desert. If you would like,” Lena’s smile grew larger. “I will introduce you to them properly.” Hanna shivered.

“Please.” Hanna had no clue what the Empress had in mind, but the goddess knew.

 

*****

 

“Oh, I wish I were her!” Lydia groaned while the goddess smiled wide.

“Don’t worry, Lydia. She has plans for you too.” Kyrie licked her lips. “A lot of plans.”

 

13