Old Version – Chapter 40 – We Are Home
293 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“When was this house constructed?” Sami asked. He was impressed with the construction, as it was a fine building, with expensive materials used. The stone was not the soft limestone used in the south, but the hard granite stone of the north.

“As soon as your trip started. The Empress had the best craftswomen of Haven build this for your family.” Rachel said with a smile.

“She has a plan for me then.”

“Yes. Whether they like it or not, this town will now fall under her direct control. The soldiers you brought with you will provide defense, as well as law and order. In time, a barracks will be built near here, and they will train female recruits in their ways. As each northerner joins the army, the Southern Empire’s soldiers will retire to the temple, and become a senior guardian. The Empress will not leave any loyal one behind.” The soldiers heard Rachel’s word, and wide smiles spread on their lips.

“A governor then.” He said quietly.

“They are not used to lords. In five years, you’ll be bestowed a proper title. Your wife should bear you a son in the meantime. Jaana will be unable to inherit any title when she joins the temple.” She said with a smile. Jaana grinned behind her mother, and looked excited.

“A son.” Sami watched Delia’s cheeks redden, but also noticed the happiness in her eyes. “Yes, I think that would be a good thing.”

“I’ll return. Hebe, assign a squad to watch over the entrances to the manor. A wall will be erected next week, with towers. Assign another squad to patrol, and work up a relief schedule. Duties will be assigned in the future.” Hebe bowed.

“Once assigned, return to the temple with the ones who remain. You must be purified before the morning sun.”

 

*****

 

“Purified.” Hebe said emotionally.

“You know what that means, sister?” A confused soldier asked.

“Yes, the beginning of our dedication to the goddess. All those who become purified eventually are Offered to the goddess, and go to Haven. The realm of the goddess.” The word went through the three hundred soldiers present like a wind.

Due to the influence of the goddess, no one added, or took anything away from what was spoken.

 

*****

 

“What will happen to us?” One of the Seer’s attendants had asked quietly. They waited where they stood, at the gate to the temple, unsure of what to do.

“Due to your fear, and how you did not tell her the truth, you can no longer attend to the Temple Priestess, Celeste.” Hanna said as she approached them. They lowered their eyes. “What you do from here is your choice. Will you leave and attempt to return to the Empire? Will you seek employment within the town? Or will you join the temple, become initiates, get purified, and eventually be Offered to the goddess?”

The attendants didn’t turn on each other, but they had to make their own personal decisions. The first one looked at Hanna.

“If I serve at the temple, will I eventually be forgiven?”

“You must not consider the Seer in your thoughts at all. Only yourself, or the goddess.” She lowered her eyes.

“I see. But if I am Offered to the goddess, I would be forgiven by the goddess for my sin of silence?” She asked. Hanna nodded. “Then I will join the temple. I did not oppose the Seer, or bring her harm, but I did not help her.” She wrapped her arms about her middle. “I can’t hold up my head with that knowledge.” Out of the other three, only one decided to stay. The other two left, and headed for the town.

“Eos. Assign soldiers to duty shifts to watch the gate, and patrol around. The gatehouse, and the guardian’s area has plenty of room, but you may need to assign bunks in the initiates area as well. The kitchen is along that wall. Get the soldiers to familiarize themselves with the temple, and it’s grounds. Shala, and Mia are already in the kitchen, so if it is too much for them to handle, assign someone to assist. Once you’ve assigned the duties, Eos, report to the temple. Your purification is first.”

 

*****

 

“The purification is like the Offering.” Hebe said as she grimaced. Her ribs still felt a little bit sore. Eos nodded.

“As I was purified, Nicci said that it was so the initiates are not afraid of the Offering.  They become used the intimate touch of the guardians. From a young age, they are purified, and learn to love their sisters. There are never any males allowed within the temples, so they only have their sisters to rely on.” Eos said with a grin.

“Only similar to the barracks of the Death Squad. We do not allow those beasts to touch us, and seek out a sister for intimacy. And pregnancy?” Hebe asked, as another sister joined them within the chapel.

“Sometimes, we may need to seek out someone healthy. We should talk to the Empress, and ask the Prime Minister to arrange a list of healthy intelligent males. Keep diseases out of our temple, and allow our girls to become strong.” Eos said, and sighed happily. “Guardians won’t be allowed to be Offered until we have our first child. Unless we reach fifty years old, then we can go any time.”

“What about supplies?” Hebe asked.

“There is farmland all around us. The cliffs and mountains belong to the Empress, as does the coast. That means fish, ores, and coal. Did you see the firewood? We’ll need to acquire more, but the supplies are abundant.” Eos smiled.

“What is that smile for, Eos?” Another soldier asked her as she came into the chapel.

“In the last thousand years, the Empire had it’s female warriors isolated in small squads within the legions. We lived in the Empire, but were never treated like a part of it. We were respected for our strength, but looked down upon for our gender. We lived there, but it was not home.” She looked around and smiled wide.

“Sisters. Finally, we are home.”

 

13