Old Version – Chapter 14 – That Is Enough For Me
731 0 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“Hm, yes, we can get you what you need. No one will go towards the old temple though. The goddess of that temple will punish anyone who tries to occupy it.” The old farmer said with a shiver.

“I know. My master serves the goddess.” She said simply. His eyes opened a bit more, and he looked at her fearfully.

“I-I don’t want any trouble!”

“You won’t find any, as long as the prices are fair. If you can’t deliver, do you know of anyone that will sell a cart? I can make many trips. I also need firewood.” She told him in her normal soldier’s tone.

She did not raise her voice’s volume, or reduce the tone so it did not appear to be intimidation. How could there be any honor if she tried to intimidate a simple farmer?

“Hm, you have steel in your spine, girl. Alright, tell you what I can do. I know a guy who has a cart, and might be willing to sell. I’ll send you to him. When you come back, I’ll have asked about the firewood. At the very least, they can deliver to the outside of town, to make the trip a bit shorter. If you deal with me, I can be your agent, and deal with the other farmers in the area. Get you what you want, for a small fee that will save you a bit of hassle.” He spoke without looking away. Kata would have suspected him of something devious if he was shifty.

“You make the deals, good ones, and if you get it a bit cheaper then I can, you can keep the difference. Have them bring it here, and I’ll take it from here to the temple.” Kata wasn’t a merchant, but rather then pay a fee, make him work for what he wanted to earn. He grinned.

“That will work. I’ll make a bit, and it will guarantee that you won’t have to go all over to get what you want. You also won’t have to deal with the grain merchants.” He frowned slightly. “How did you know I might deal with you personally?” She smiled.

“I was raised on a farm. My da used to deal with the local families, separate from the grain merchants, and often bargain with the local high and mighty to get them better deals.” She said with a wolfish grin. He laughed.

“Well, our local lord hasn’t come out this way in a few years, so we’ve become a little self sufficient. If we need anything important, a few of us will travel further south. I think he’s afraid of getting too close to the border of the Empire, but we haven’t seen them in a few decades.” He reached out his hand, so she shook it firmly. He smiled, and nodded. “Yep, I was right. That grip can only be found on someone who’s worked hard their entire lives.” She smiled.

“I usually use my hands.” She said with a grin. He felt the calluses of her palm, and saw the muscle on her arms.

“No doubt.”

 

 

“Is she having any trouble?” Lena asked Nicci after she woke up. Nicci smiled softly and lifted the water cup to her lips.

“No, Empress. Hanna watches her from the shadows, and she’s made a good contact with an old farmer. She used some silver from your dowry to buy a cart, and she’ll use it to move grain and supplies.” Nicci moved behind her on the bed and let her recline against her soft body so she was more comfortable.

“I’m glad it’s useful. Tell her to use what she needs. See if there are any repairs that need to be done.” She lifted her hand and put it on Nicci’s thigh.

'Now, Nicci.'

Nicci heard the goddess’ voice, leaned down slightly, and kissed Lena’s neck.

 

 

“Hm? I think I must have fallen asleep again. You’re really comfortable to lay against.” Nicci smiled and licked her lips. She rolled her eyes as it was difficult to be stealthy with what the goddess had her do.

“It’s alright. The goddess sometimes lets me cradle her like this, and I sneak in a peck on her neck. Like I just did to you.” Lena turned, and smiled a bit. Her cheeks flushed a bit.

“Tell me more about the goddess, and what happened after your first purification ceremony.”

“Alright. This is the part where I learned why the offerings smile, Empress.” Nicci said softly, while Lena frowned.

“Why do you keep calling me the Empress? I am no longer the wife of that dog emperor.” She said grumpily. Nicci smiled softly.

“Forgive me, but the goddess is the one who calls you this. I feel that she calls you the Empress because of who you are to her, and to us. Elegant and calm, yet buried and hidden behind the veil you wear over your eyes, who is the woman she yearns for.” Nicci smiled as she described her own thoughts.

“I don’t wear a veil.” Lena sighed. “No, I understand your meaning. The mask I wear. The woman behind the mask.” Nicci smiled.

“Yes, Empress. She wishes to peel that mask away, and see you wild and free, but to her, and to us, you will still be our Empress.” Nicci cringed.

“What’s wrong?”

“I’ve been reminded to keep my opinions to myself.” She laughed a bit. “I made an assumption about the motives behind our goddess, but that is not what we’ve been told. What we’ve been told is that you are our Empress. That is enough for me.” She sighed softly.

“Now, I think it’s time I finished this part of the story. Hanna also had the same experience, so the story will not change if she tells it. The reason the Offerings smile.”

 

 

“Nicci, after the first purification ceremony, we allow the new acolytes to attend a consecration ceremony. The Offering.” The High Priestess said with a small smile.

“An Offering? Isn’t that an important ceremony? Why would you want someone like me to be there?” Nicci asked, a bit confused.

“You have completed your purification. Now, it’s time to find out why the purification happens.” Nicci nodded.

“Okay. I don’t want to ruin it for them though. Are you sure I should be there?” The High Priestess smiled down at her and nodded.

“Yes. Even the Offering wants you to be there.”

 

26