Chapter 6: Interface Mission, Escaped
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the other side. In the depth of the forest.

Every movement sent waves of throbbing pain through his chest and back. The pain subsided at times, only to flare up again and with seemingly increased intensity. It'd probably take a simple and obvious decision to either give up or keep going at this point, but that decision just didn't seem to come.

After escaping from the research base, Hao Xu finally got a closer look at the outside world. The trees were taller than usual, with a hint of purple at the root, bark that stained with a weird red color.

The more noticeable details is the gloomy sky looming above his head. Despite how cloudy and muddy the horizon appear to be, not a drop of rain were to be seen.

Raising his left hand with the palm towards his face, the blister on the thumb of his finger became apparent to his eyes.

Thud. Thud. Thud.

Every step he took dampen the ground, leaving behind a clear footprint with the sole of his feet.

At this point, Hao Xu gaze became distant as he reflects on the event that took place not long ago.

He could feel the cold piece of metal clanking in between the gap of his finger as he holds the Steam Rifle gently in hand, readied to fire at any second. His eyes reflect on the glass-like tube that is the barrel, as the copper coil itself around the gun to form a circular structure.

With a closer look, the trembling of his finger cause an ever so small tremor, which adds more to the rattle of the wilderness noise.

Every step taken, feeling heavier than the last.

“Little Hao, it’s killed or to be killed… Those researcher can only blame themselves for dying— all I can do is ensure my own survival. I hope William is fine…” His mumble acts as a lullaby, as the clanking of metal piece ruffle from the rough embrace of his movement, combine with the steadily yet slow drop of rainfall, Hao Xu found himself drench.

The sound of the rain was mesmerizing, something he never felt of before. His eyes relaxed, but stays vigilant and paranoid of his surrounding. He looks left and right as he ran, completely indulging within the melody of the rain drop.

Running and running, Hao Xu didn’t think of strapping his gun to his back, but opting to carry it in his hand. He treated it like his beloved, as he sees it as the only thing keeping him safe… The only thing that makes him feel safe...

His eyes have long slanted, with the other eyes finally opening thanks to the healing of the wound.

“This place is… Too odd. I need to find a place to settle down, and live quietly for a period of time.” Moriarty has already called him 01, which makes him believe that no one in this world should know of his true name, as least as of now.

Even if they discover his name, Hao Xu, what can they do? No one in this world can connect him to ‘01’. The only person that can recognized him at this point is Moriarty and he will definitely do his utmost to avoid meeting that crazy madman again.

After travelling for what feels like an hour, a silhouette of town appear in his field of view.

His foot finally got a rest as he took a deep breath to recover his stamina. Hao Xu took the time to remove his ragged shirt and used it like a band-aid to wrapped around his Rustic looking Steam Rifle.

This was treading into unknown territory.

Therefore, it’s best if he doesn’t walk around with a gun in his hand while looking like a homeless beggar.

After spending the extra few minutes, Hao Xu look at the wound on his left shoulder.

“It healed already?” Hao Xu ran his finger through the other side of arm, careful not to agitate the wound further. To his surprised, a hint of softness permeate as he ran his finger across the surface of his skin unlike the feeling of stabbing from before.

Hao Xu lift the wrapped rifled behind his back, hoisting it in place, stretching his limbs to check for any injures. With the help of his hand, he snapped his neck back and forth, making a crackling sound.

Coupled with the damning strikes of lightning gnashing at the tree faraway, his silhouette sway forth.

1