Awakened- Chapter 2: A Sentient
100 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jason’s POV

When I saw the mob of people, they are chasing after this couple. What did they do to deserve this? I went to one of them within the crowd; I tried to get the attention of one of them, only for them to ignore me as if I don’t exist. 

“Hey!” I grabbed a woman that bumped into me. “Can you help me?” The woman just stood still, moaning as she is nothing but a hollow shell inside…

I’ve let her go, but something is telling me I need to follow the couple; Need to get to them first before that mob do; Recalling they headed west of here, I’ve made haste toward them.

I’ve followed the crowd to find the couple… at a motel. The more I look at these people, the more I suspect that something or someone is turning them into mindless monsters. For an apparent reason, I am invisible to these creatures and that means somehow I can move through the area freely.


Found the room

As I look around the motel hoping to find the couple, I saw a couple of others mindless scratches the door and banging on it. Now I see… You cannot reason or speak with them, I must be certain that I’m in the right place. But a large crowd of them on that door, that is when I know where they are.

“Hey!” Some of them turned toward me, flailing their arms as they move toward me. I stood still as the creature looked at me. It suddenly stops after stepping a few inches from me. 

“Hey!” A man called to me. “Help us, man! We’re trapped!” They are in danger, the moment that man spoke, the creature that was in front of me, went back to banging on the door.

“Why are these things after you? What did you do?” I need to know what did they do to provoke them.

“Dude! Can you help us or not?!” These things began to bang on the door, trying to force their way in.

I glance around for an object that I can use in the vicinity. A fire extinguisher! I grabbed it and swung at the first thing that I came across. As I took note, when I swung the fire extinguisher, it broke some teeth and it… knocked it out. No time to hesitate… I repeat the process, swing the fire extinguisher until it broke. Then I find a steel pipe to use and clear out the crowd of these monsters.

I noticed I didn’t break a sweat; it was like that my lungs were so strong that I don’t tire easily. I knock on the door but gently; They are already spooked enough, and I don’t want them to assume that I’m with those things.

“Hey, man, I heard you slayed those things! You didn’t get bit, did ya?” What? Bitten? Why would they…? “Are you alright, man?”

“Yeah… I am all right!” I didn’t tell them that these monsters didn’t attack me at all. “Can you open the door? I won’t harm you.”

“All right! We’ll back up as you come in.” I heard the door unlocked itself. Now it is time to get answers.


I’m a what...?

As I opened the door slowly, as I’m not sure what is their state of mind, I suspect opening the door too fast will alarm them, too slow will create tension on their end. As I opened it wide, I strolled in; the man looked at me as if something was wrong. The woman clung tightly to his arm, crying tears, worrying about the end.

The man had short hair, has tattoos on his arms, he is holding a baseball tight in his hand; he is looking at me as if I was here to rob or kill them.

“You!” He looked at me up and down, narrowing his eyes at me. “You are one of those freaks!”

“What are you talking about?” I protest that I’m not with those things. “I’ve followed you here because I wanted to know what is going on. Why is the town so desolate?”

“Honey, what is it talking about?!” The woman is clinging tighter to his arm, she assumes I am with those monsters who chased after them.

“It’s nothing, Cindy! I got this!” The man grips his bat tighter at me. “Back the hell away from us, you damn freak!”

“Listen, I just need to know what is going on! You were being chased by those monsters, and what do you mean ‘freaks’? Tell me what is going on!”

“You are a zombie, you fucking piece of shit!” I’m a… zombie? “Stay the hell back!”

“Look, I saved you from those ‘zombies’ and I’m telling you…” As I took another step, the man brandishes his bat at me.

No matter what I say or do, there is no convincing these people, they think that I’m a zombie, here to eat them. Something is telling me that taking another step would have the man swinging his bat at me. A zombie…? Is that what is attacking them… zombies? Yet they think I am one of them after everything I did to save them.

I took steps back from them and made my way back to the entrance; turned around every moment to see if the man would follow and attempt to take my life. I had a feeling in the back of my mind, they were more afraid of those ‘zombies’ than with me; he only reacted out of self-defense and to keep his girlfriend safe, but why?

As I got back out onto the street, several questions formed in my head. Why am I dead? What turned these people into Zombies? Why am I invisible to them? Why am I not like the others?

“WHAT IS GOING ON?!!” I shouted toward the sky as if it could answer me.

0