Evolution- Chapter 17: Settlement of Evanston
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jenny’s POV

After last night when Jason got into an argument with Samantha who nearly killed him, he hasn’t said a word since last night. Even Brad, who is usually the talkative for today, has have said nothing either. I don’t know if they are angry with him or simply not knowing what to say but someone GOT to say something here.

“So… Any updates about us heading to Evanston?” No response… Samantha, as usual, just ignoring me…

“I think after last night, cooler head would need to prevail.” Jason is speaking to me in my mind… How- “I’ve made sure that even Brad can’t intrude in our conversation.”

“Then care to explain to me why they are not saying anything right now?” I need to know why they are being silent on me…

“Because we are heading to a town of people that are ready to kill us the minute we step foot into the town.” Samantha? “Evanston, as we learned, after the zombie apocalypse has been going steady and its people are sharp as nails. Good if you are human and you survived this far…”

“Not good for us if we are zombies or Sentients…” Jason spoke the words out of her mouth, but Sam is simply glaring at him. 

“We’ll need disguises. The minute we step in, we will deal with people’s scrutiny.” I understood why she spoke up as she did.

“Hmm… It looks like you are taking it seriously, Jenny. Thankfully, we got plenty of sunglasses but Jason will have to provide his own.” Seriously, you give me Brad and Samantha sunglasses, but you won’t give him glasses… What the hell?

“Fair point!” ARE YOU KIDDING ME, JASON?! STAND UP FOR YOURSELF! 

“You will not protest, Jason? I was expecting an argument from you.” She is smiling. I know she is saying this to get on his nerves.

“You expect me to improvise… I will.” He flashes his sunglasses in front of her. Much to her surprise, she is definitely fuming. I had laughed since Jason somehow “Improvised” on the matter.

“Hey everyone, we are almost at Evanston, Wyoming. Remember, put on your sunglasses and keep them on at all times. We are in their territory.” 


Getting supplies

After arriving in Evanston, it is a bustling town of people going out to shop and trade goods. I notice they are carry firearms; it is a case of emergency or when they need to fight the dead. Jason discussed with me the town is known for being first on ‘Transcontinental Railroad project’ and continued to develop from there.

Even in the during the apocalypse, it’s known for its ranching, agriculture and make good of its natural resources. Sadly, if we weren’t ‘empties’ we wouldn’t have to worry about being shot on sight.

We meet with several of contacts that Brad met while they were in Price. These folks give the layout of each settlement we go to and give information what we can and can’t do.

“Y’all know that you folks are talking zombies. Folks will tear ya should they see as you are.” Our informant is giving an up of the people here. “Not all of them will want to kill you on the spot but they there are people out here that would want to string up zombies and…” The man drew an invisible line. “Gut them!”

“Even with Sunglasses will barely fool them then.” The man nods. Jason definitely understands what is at stake.

 “I know a friend that you stay with…”

Do not stay within the city today, Death is certain…

“Do not stay within the today, Death is certain…” I saw a vision… people will come after us if we stay here today. “Do not stay within the today, Death is certain…” I repeated so I won’t forget what I need to say.

“You were sayin’, young lady?” The man noticed that I was whispering to myself.

“Nothing, but with that said, guys. We should leave today instead of staying here for the day.” Everyone looked at me as if I lost my mind. “If we stay, we’ll be increasing the likelihood we may get hunted and I would rather go hungry for at least a day than to take the chance of remaining to be a target.”

“The thing is, Jenny. We need supplies for the journey and it will only be a one-day stay. We can explore the city while we are at it.” Actually…

“Do you have skin paste or something…?” The man handed me a pink-like substance that feels sticky as some sweet dropped on it. But I know it would at least disguise our appearances while we are out.

“Okay, I’ll just take some of it for now.”

“Take as much as you need. I’ll send word to my friends to expect ya.” Brad shook his hand. “Just… be careful, alright?”


Explore the city

“I keep telling you, Jason. I’m getting the feeling that we should not stay there after today.” With the skin paste, we walked the people in the city. I’ve been telling Jason that it is a mistake to stay here for the day. Yet I feel Jason is listening to the whole thing. At least he ain’t quick to disagree with me, unlike something I know…

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!” I protested against the idea of remaining here in the town. “IF WE STAY HERE, WE’LL BE A TARGET AND YOU KNOW THESE PEOPLE OUT HERE ARE MORE LIABLE TO HUNT US DOWN SHOULD THEY FIND OUT WHO WE ARE.”

“Jenny, you are acting immature! We can’t just leave without getting more supplies and we are almost there to Green River.” Samantha is not really listening to me. “It is just one day and can you bear it for one day.”

“Brad…” I turned to Brad. He seems he doesn’t want to be quick to disagree.

“I’m sorry, Jen. We need the supplies and the info. We can’t just-” I dashed off when I realize they are not heeding my warnings about staying here.

“Are you all right?” He asks. He had to find me in the city square crying and thankfully he took me out around the city.

“Why are they not listening to me?” I keep asking myself ever since I got that vision that death is certain if we stay here.

“Jenny… we are running low on food and we need more intel.” He stopped, but I wanted to hear it.

“So you are taking their side too, Freeloader?!” 

“I’m not on anyone's side here. I couldn’t leave you there by yourself. I talked them out on looking for you.” What…? “Beside, it is a pleasant city, and it is a commercial place. And…” He notices something in the corner of his eye.

“Jason?” He urged, keeping moving that when I saw it.

As we were walking throughout of the city, we noticed some shady characters in the city. Some were taunting us by saying we are gonna die, some shown dolls with our necks hanged. I even saw one man licked his own knife at me like they…

“Ignore them.” Jason turned to assure me that everything would be alright. “I know… we need to hurry back. No point in lingering, right?” I nodded my head. I’m not the only feels the same way.

Once we arrived at our van, Brad and Samantha were waiting for me, after I ran off, they…

“Jenny!” Brad hugged me. I guess the big guy missed about me.

“I’m sorry about what I said to you, Jen.” Now Samantha is apologizing to me. “These folks are seeing through our disguises or they are a lot sharper than they looked.”

“Yeah, I notice one guy licked his own knife. What with guys who licked their own blade?” The thought of it sends shivers down my spine.

“The sun is going down, we had arrangements with our contact to stay with them for the night.” My eye widens the moment she mentions...

Don’t go! Armed men will kill the host and then go after the rest of you! Leave tonight!

“Don’t go. Armed men will kill the host and then go after the rest of you… Leave tonight.” I repeated to myself in front of the others. “Don’t go-” 

“What is wrong with you, Jen? Ever since we came here, you have been insisting on us leaving town a lot of lately.” Samantha becomes fed up with me, constantly warning them we’ll die if we stay here. “We are staying for just ONE night. One night.” 

“Please, Sam…”

“Jen, Sam! Please, that is enough. We’ll stay for one night, I’ll have us to be ready for escape if it comes down to it. But we need to go now.” 

“Brad-”

“I don’t want to hear any more of this. Please for once, Jen! One night!” I hung my head upon what i am hearing. They do not realize they are in danger.

“Jason are you…?” I turned to Jason, who is closing his eyes and doing what whatever he is doing. “Fine. One night, that’s it! If we die because you guys didn’t listen to me, don’t say i didn’t warn you.” 


Couchsurfing at an acquaintance's place

After arriving at the place for one of our contacts’, the lady introduce us to our rooms as well snacks and meals that we can at least eat. Brad told us he’ll be in a meeting with other people and we should get comfortable and rest.

I’m tired anyway and I…

Set up traps, don’t fall sleep. Death awaits you if you slumber tonight. Beware!

“Set up traps and don’t go sleep… I’ll die if i do…” A vision came to me again. I rarely get them more than once unless it’s dire enough to warn me. Death awaits me if I sleep now…

Wasting no time, I managed to jury rig some traps throughout my room: the windows, the door and the bed. If what my vision is telling me… Those guys, folks that given us weird looks and the death threats.

I headed back to the bed, sitting down and putting the covers on me. I want them to think that I’ve gone to bed and snoring. Just try me, you bastards...

0